UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,173 reviews matching the search
United Health Care
Client Advocate for Medicare and Retirement (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 7, 2017
At UHC, we had a very stressful job. We were constantly being told what we were doing wrong instead of what we were doing right. It was a very difficult place to keep our moral up. Although very rewarding to be able to help my Medicare patients, the environment was hostile. The diversity was amazing. There were people from all walks of life that work there. I met and am still good friends with a lot of the employees. There was one supervisor who was always on my side and coached me when I needed it. Bonnie Arbuckle. She is an amazing supervisor and I thanked her dearly when I resigned.
very high stress level, need better training of new employees
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Never really felt the company cared about me, heard my concerns in trying to help me. They need better trainers/training for new employees because they are spending alot of money and they should honestly be concerned with making sure every employees is successful and employee's needs/concerns are addressed.

My manager never helped me eventhough he claimed to "have my back" eventhough i repeated voiced my concern to him and to his supervisor they need a total change in mgmt and culture.
Pros
top notch benefits like medical benefits, 401k, etc
Cons
new employees need better training/trainers so that new employees can be successful
Mandatory overtime due to lack of staffing
Benefit Advocate and Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 8, 2017
For over a year and one half, I worked up to and over 60 hours per week due to management promising clients access to my department when we did not have enough people staying in the department due to the work hours. New hires were not informed of the overtime and quickly left after a 3 - 5 month training period. Supervisors were not helpful and updated training was not offered to seasoned ( over 1 year of employment) employees.

Great place to make money, if you like working from 8:30 am to 8:00 pm
Pros
Able to make a lot of money if you worked long hours
Cons
Management less than desireable
Horrible experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMarch 16, 2017
Overall, I loved my job but hated the company. 100 other employees and I were all blindsided by being laid off. Management doesn't know how to communicate with you. They never had the answer to anything there answer to everything was "I don't know". I slaved my butt off for them selling health insurance. Working 12 hours. Oh and they purposely write you up just so you wont receive your commission. So the best thing to do is to MILK them for their overtime.
Current Employee
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 2, 2017
This is not a good place to work if you do not like change. It changes so often its hard to keep up with what's going on.. Management here in Denver CO is all over the place and seem to want to be friends more then actually a manager. The pay is well under the average and the benefits( if you get them) are not as good as you would think coming from the actual insurance company that we work for. With all that being said, if you love to help people and make members happy, this is a nice start.
Pros
Fulfilling
Cons
Pay, MGMT, Benefits
Motivation
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Telecommute) (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 23, 2017
I am looking into other positions to advance my career while enjoying the new challenges and opportunities to broaden my knowledge.

I have learned that doing the same thing every day is not for me as my enjoyment is problem-solving in a fast-paced environment. The goal is to find a position that allows me to learn more and expand my capabilities into new areas. As a people-person who likes to learn and build relationships, this exciting and new position will help me fulfill potential growth in the near future.
LPN-Clinical Help desk Coordinator
LPN Clinical help desk coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDMarch 22, 2017
This is pretty much a telephonic job. You take calls, answer customer questions, direct calls to case manager, social worker or dietian. Also, you take calls from nurse practioners and type a report of the patient health. For the most part....I didn't like the job of being yelled at by customers or being disrespected by anybody. And the worst part is that you cannot hang up on any rude or disrespectful customer, so you have to take it all in. The company is great, but the position sucks. You practically have to be glued to your desk all day.
Pros
Great company and benefits
Cons
Being yelled at by customers and being disrespected
Learned a lot about the healthcare industry
Executive Assistant/PQR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850March 10, 2017
I worked for MAMSI Healthplans which was bought out by United Healthcare. I worked in the Provider Quality Review Dept for most of my time at this company. I started as an Executive Assistant. I bounced around within the department, but settled in PQR. The work was interesting and I learned a lot about the inner workings of physicians offices, customers and patients alike. The compensation was great and we received yearly increases and stock options. Months after the merger, as companies tend to do, we suffered layoffs. I would still go back if given the opportunity to work there again.
Pros
Stock options, compensation
Cons
Lay offs
Great Culture
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 14, 2017
With the flexibility to telecommute from time to time, abided by health plan guidelines and requirements, is
able to promptly pinpoint any risk management issues. Actively collaborated with case managers and
primary care physicians when planning transitions from acute facilities into sub-acute placements.
Speedily submitted authorizations for approvals or denials of coverage for those with Medicare and
Medicaid. Documented all service requests including but not limited to clinical evaluations, follow-up visits,
and ancillary services. Communicated with outside clinical practices concerning patient care.
Call Center Environment
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 23, 2017
I work from home, the hardest part of this position is the high standard of metrics you must meet in order to maintain employment they change daily. You cannot take off work unless you were approved two weeks in advance or longer without receiving a point. 4 points is an immediate cap. Time off requests are in PTO bids against the rest of your teams and seniority always receives first bids. Shifts do change and have to bid on quarterly. If you have a family this may not be the place of employment for you. The job pays very well even if you only have a HS Diploma and yearly raises are an option based on performance levels.
Pros
Work at Home Option
Cons
Limited time off capability
Receptionist
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2017
For many visitors or callers to a business, my job as a receptionist provides the first impression that they carry with them into their first meeting. For that reason I seek to maintain the highest levels of professionalism and efficiency on a daily basis. Within the company as well, “my job” as the only employee that all other employees interact with on a regular and daily basis. As a result, the attitude that a receptionist brings to work, whether good or bad, can easily be spread throughout the entire office. That is why I have attempted to use my position of visibility to be a source of cheerfulness and friendliness to raise morale for the entire office.
Avoid unless you have a good manager or paided hourl.
Medicare Solutions Agent Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 16, 2017
Great ideas and everyone was wonderful, just ask them. But the reality was unrealistic sales goals, almost no individual support (except for already established online legally required training), Most employees were over worked, over tasked and didn't help you unless they were told to my their boss. In 25 years of work, never felt more set up for failure.
Pros
Teleawork, Bonuses, Incentives, Reimbursements, Employee Stock
Cons
Training, Field Support, Inflated Goals, and over worked employees.
It could have been great
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMarch 20, 2017
I was not employed with this company very long due to the background company not being able to find my employment and education background. How? I don't know, but it resulted in termination. United Health Group has an extensive training program to assure that you will be well prepared to complete job duties. The management team was very helpful and the facility is very nice. My only complaint is they use a very small background company to complete background checks and they dont seem very knowledgeable of how to do their jobs. It was unfortunate, but maybe it just was not meant to be.
Provider customer service (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 20, 2017
very stressful position taking call after call. learned to navigate sytem and new updates on protocol and benefits updates and changes.
the hardest part of job is meeting and exceeding call quotas as call adherence and hold and time on call whether over exceeding on extending yourself.
receive 90 day training and training is not consistent with on the floor experiences.
most enjoyable part on job is building relationships with caller and being able to extend your self meeting the need and expectations of the provider on phone.
Great Place to Work
Cross Application IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Busy days working on multiple projects.
Learned to manage multiple projects as a cross application project manager.
Management was very supportive and encouraged growth.
Workplace culture is very positive and promotes empathy for all other co-workers.
Hardest to balance all duties and move projects forward.
People on other teams are positive and willing to help
Pros
Great benefits and cafeteria
Cons
Teams are spread arou d the world. Sometimes it is difficult to schedule meetings!
Career Driven enviroment
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 14, 2017
UHC has competitive pay
and great training. I really enjoyed working for the company. A typical day at work is basically helping the members understand their policy weather it's claims, benefits, provider out reach, or just some education on the portal. The hardest part may be to maintain all your metrics/surveys if you would like to bonus. The most enjoyable part is when you receive a Kudos or letter of recognition.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 14, 2017
I am an extremely hard-working, dedicated, punctual, and organized person who applies the whole of my abilities to every task set before me. I am well versed in the medical field and take complicated issues as a challenge, rather than a burden. I am a team player who is willing and able to play an integral role as an operations manager, ensuring the funneling of productivity and efficiency. I am positive and upbeat and work well under pressure.
Clash with work culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 14, 2017
UHG is a great company motivated to help improve member's lives. However, they tend to run with their shoes untied and at this company, it's a dog-eat-dog world. If you are a perfectionist or over-achiever, this would be the perfect fit. Managers work with you towards career development and advancement. However, I think all managers should be required to take training to understand that everyone has their own unique qualities and to focus on the employees' strengths more than their weaknesses.
Pros
driven, motivated, supportive
Cons
superficial, not helpful, impatient
Productive work place
Member Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2017
UnitedHealth Group is a really great company to work for, they have good benefits and great pay. I was hired onto the 'Medicare and Retirement' department dealing with older members and their benefits. Training was 11 weeks long they cover everything you need to know, there are a lot of systems that are used. It seemed like there was opportunity for advancement, they were always growing and there is a work from home option as well. I don't like how hr was set up like a call center you never get to see anyone in person always have to call and somethings do go overlooked.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Hr
Not a place I'd like to go back to.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McGregor, TXMarch 6, 2017
Probably the only place I wouldn't want to go back to. Pay is horrible but helping someone felt good. The only reason they got me to stay was for the medical benefits. It's alright if you're single. Horrible if you have dependents, coverage would be too expensive. The trainers are great and I bet the only reason why they are is to get the bonus at the end of training for how many people they can get onto the production floor. Management can be VERY petty...

"Oh you score a 94.7 on your survey so I have to set you aside for coaching and you have to sign this form as a first warning..." - Manager

A passing score is 95/100...
Pros
Medical benefits are pretty cheap
Cons
Atmosphere was not so great, pay is too low, management is petty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.