UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,557 reviews matching the search
Horrible management. Great Coworkers!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLAugust 23, 2016
Stay away from Key Accounts They over work their employees and micromanage them. They promote unqualified people into management positions. The Field Account Managers are all miserable and hate their management team. The manager of account management plays favorites with her managers. Very hostile environment to work in.
Pros
Coworkers are good people but unhappy.
Cons
Management is cruel and heartless. Salaries are low. While the CEO makes millions.
Weigh your options wisely
Associate Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 4, 2016
I highly recommend you weigh your options before taking a job with United Healthcare. I worked with the company 6 months learning claims and was terminated due to production. Training was not the best. I took a pay cut to work for this company because of the opportunities they told me about in my interview. They sold the company really well, but I regret leaving my old job for this company. I strongly advise anyone considering this company to weigh your options wisely.
Greedy company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Lauderdale, FLAugust 19, 2016
UHC is one of the reasons why people hate corporations..exploiting both their workers and customers..I mean! members. Is not surprise is an HMO company. The wages are low and don't mind helping people, you're not. You will be overwork in a point of being mentally ill until they let you go for the smallest mistake such as long holds or wrong transfers. If you're looking to work in a call center, work for a tech support company, in least you are messing with computers and gadgets not human lives.
Pros
A Job
Cons
Everything else..poor pay, micromanaging, overwork and the fact that you are working for an HMO company.
Not good place
optum cob rep (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 24, 2016
The company looks good from outside but when you join its not what you thought,they hire alot of temps using recruiting agencies and so fire at will without consideration for peoples lifes,I saw alot of people get fired within a short span of time ,managers rule by intimidation if you disagree with them you get to go,no one is spared the trainers are not very good they train you as if you already know the job,metrics are hard to understand all you are to them a number nothing more as long as your numbers are not good no one cares ,no work life balance,most are afraid everyday cause anytime you can be fired,alot of favoritism goes on there in a nutshell not the best experience
Pros
not much
Cons
alot
Customer Service Rep- answering incoming calls.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vincennes, INAugust 11, 2016
Typical day is answering incoming calls from providers and insureds regarding insurance benefits and claims processing. I have learned the understanding of claims are processed and explained to provider and insureds. Co-workers are good and a lot of understanding of the job when it comes to asking for help.
Pros
Meetings-regarding updates on services/privacy concerns.
Cons
Lunch-half hour and hours of operation.
Great culture and ethics, poor pay and benefits
Client Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 22, 2016
The company could do a better job of ensuring their employees pay is commensurate with the market rate. Employees benefits could be a lot better. What I love most about my job is that I have a lot of flexibility and can work from home as I see fit. The organization as a whole really promotes working remote.
Pros
Working Remote, Good Corporate Ethics, Stock Options, 401k
Cons
subpar medical benefits and low pay
Working at United Healthcare
Sr. Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
United Healthcare is a great company to work for. There a a lot of opportunities to advance. They offer decent benefits and incentive programs. I love working here and really would like to stay. My advice to future candidates is make sure you and your manager are aware of your value as an employee. It is very easy to get lost in United Healthcare because it is a large company with very talented employees.
Opportunities and Growth
HR Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJuly 9, 2016
I enjoyed this company as well as the perks it had to offer. The most enjoyable part of this position was being able to give the employees and managers a variety of options to help whatever situation they have encountered. The hardest part about the position was trying to make a difference and find a solution to assist every caller. UHG has amazing employees and managers who are always there to help you grow and succeed as an employee. If I lived closer to the company I would still be there!
Pros
OT offered often, ability to review and listen to your calls to improve, free lunches for hitting call goals.
Cons
Hard to get ahold of management when in need.
It was alright
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 23, 2016
At first I did enjoy the job. It is very fast paced because you receive calls back to back non stop..the moment someone hangs up the next call comes through. Everything is recorded sometimes the managers even watch your computer screen to see what you are doing. ( Worked from home)
Pros
You speak with alot of different people all over the US. Working from home
Cons
Tons of manditory overtimes so you are working all day and night.
No Advancement
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 5, 2016
The only positive side to working to UHC is flexibility on your schedule. There isn't a growth opportunity based off education and experience. Most people are over worked and doing double duty because of high turn over. There aren't any incentives and overtime is the only way they can keep steady on client numbers. I have never seen such dated material and processing. I am left speechless in a position where I cannot move up based on their scaling. The hardest part is investing so much time knowing you won't get anything in return.
Pros
its a job
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, over worked and never get caught up

Want to know more about UnitedHealth Group?

Ask a question
Major Insurance Company with benefits
Senior Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 2, 2016
I have learned much about dealing with the Senior population in this role. How to deal with difficult customers, and turn it into a positive experience most of the time. The hardest part of the job is sitting in one spot with a headset on for 8 hours a day, and then up to 10 hours a day during Medicare Season.

One the plus side, I really enjoy the bonuses. Hard to find a job that you can work from home, make a salary and bonuses now. For me it is a plus.
Pros
Telecommuting, vacation time
Micro Management nightmare
New Day Claims Processor/New Day Operations Expert (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJuly 2, 2016
Everyone would have to come in for my shift and log on and would be literally watched all day and if you got up to use the bathroom or your 15 minute breaks you had to make sure your manager knew where you were at all times, now this was in the in-house claims dept. Other departments were not like this. Career advancement was almost impossible unless you knew someone who could help you post out to another dept.
Pros
Company Cafe, Flex Time, Ability to work from home
Cons
Extreme Micro Management, Were not allow to talk while you were working
Interesting health care field, good work experience
Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 29, 2016
Variety of area's to work which includes adults, adolescents and substance abuse clients. Communication among staff and management is slowly improving. Generally co-workers act as a team. Opportunity to educate clients and families about medication and resources available. Positive working relationships with numerous Physicians and staff to benefit client care.
Pros
Many available shifts
Cons
Frequently under staffed
In my opinion I can allocate 4 points out of 10 based on my experience
SCRUM MASTER (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 28, 2016
Not agile rather hybrid in true sense called OSAM. Interference by management and lot of politics at team and project level.

40-50 % time wasted in unrelated meetings that could be used in value added tasks

Co-workers were fine

Hardest job was interference of management in applying scrum process and management not listening to change.

Lack of appreciation

Very large setup with too many programs with new teams not reached to maturity stage with loose architectural highway.

Most enjoyable part was availability of new gadgets, exercise rooms and state of the art facility.
Pros
Good gadgets
Cons
Management confussion about their own job security and reflecting the same
great work environment
Medical Records Technician (AdvantMed) (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 30, 2016
On a typical day at work, I go to the assigned medical clinic to retrieve the requested medical records and gather the information that is needed with the help of the very friendly receptionists. I then upload all medical records into the system. I haven't had any need to get involved with management, so as of now management is great. With my position, I don't have any other coworkers that I see on a regular day to day basis. The hardest part of the job would have to be when the clinic or myself is unable to find the patients medical records. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be being able to travel to new clinics often and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
gas/mileage reimbursement
Cons
no benefits
Be Productive
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 24, 2016
Great work/life balance. Healthcare is always changing, so having a creative mindset and bringing new ideas to your managers/peers seems to be encouraged. If you are a 'self-starter / go-getter' you will succeed. Promotions typically come later than expected, but it is usually rectified at some point down the line - if you expect to stay within the company for your career, it seems as though they'll make it right.
Pros
Employee Stock Plan, Vacation Days, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Ironically, the Health Insurance, Later than expected Promotions
terrible place to work
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 25, 2016
United Healthcare is only worried about management. The members are not first priority, they are only numbers. The company pays well but you are expected to do so much overtime there is there no time for family or personal life. They fired me because my father died un-expectantly and they told me after being gone for two days I was MIA and if I did not come back I would risk my job. The turn around on employees is terrible and the training sucks so the new employees are never really able to help a member correctly. The mandatory overtime wont even allow you to go to your scheduled Dr appointments that have been scheduled months in advance.
I do not recommend working here to anyone unless they make a huge change in business practice.
Pros
Cons
everything
Hard job, unrealistic expectations
Customer service advocate. (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 25, 2016
Pay and benefits were decent. The expectations from management were very unrealistic and difficult to achieve. They are not afraid to fire you if you don't meet goals. Difficult to get time off approved. Mandatory overtime since they were so short staffed because they can't keep up with employee turnover.
Pros
Pay was decent.
Cons
Poor work/life balance. Difficult to achieve expectations.
fast pace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLJune 21, 2016
Face to face customer service with members who come in with questions about there medical and dental insurance. Provide excellent customer service. Respond to complex customer calls. Resolve customer service inquires which include: billing and payment issues, customer material requests, physician assignments, authorization for treatment, explanation of benefits, works independently.
Pros
great schedule, and great communication
Cons
not enough training
Horrible company
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaAugust 3, 2016
A lot of dishonesty in management, especially HR. Yes, HR and recruiters. Pay is generally below market average. Providers vary a lot, a few are very good and a few not so good, and then there's those that are crazy and wicked. Due to so many facilities and ever changing environment, a typical day varies depending on where you end up.
Just like with any other job, if you happen to be one of the unfortunate people that end up working here, just learn as much as you can.
Generally, your local co-workers are ok.
Perhaps, the hardest part of the job is not knowing what's going to happen next. And the most enjoyable part of the job is that you'll probably end up trying to help people with their health - but you may not get much help from management.
Pros
PTOs
Cons
Pretty much everything else is not so good