UnitedHealth Group
2,053 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Productive Place to work
Eligibility Clerk (Current Employee), Moline, ILJune 18, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, like most people that I work with, I can have my headphones on and listen to music or talk radio while working.
Cons: Quotas, short lunches
A typical day is busy. Lots of different reports and data entry.
I have learned several different things at United Healthcare.
Management was great when I started there. It has changed since then but is ok.
Hardest part of the job is the quota (widgets per hour) that we have to meet. I personally do not work well with this. Also we have what we call SOP's and that are step by step layouts of each process. I do not learn well by reading so this is not the best process for me but some people do well with it.
Most enjoyable thing about the job is never boring.
working under UnitedHealth Group
customer service agent (Current Employee), Henderson, NVJune 17, 2015
working under UnitedHealth Group was and is a great experience
it has showed me more compassion for the elder and what they go through and also just being part of the experience of learning the ways of UnitedHealth Group
Fast Pace
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 17, 2015
Pros: The experience
Cons: No Cons
Working for the United healthcare is a fast pace environment but it has been a good experience, but it has taught me a lot of things
Quiet and Friendly work enviornment
Clinical Lead Specialist for the HEDIS (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJune 17, 2015
Pros: Quiet 75% of the time
Cons: No barriers for when there is noise or loud conversations going on
Most days are quiet on the floor I was assigned to however on the days the office was full there was to much personal talking going on and rather loudly while others were attempting to speak on conference calls or being trained via a webex. Cubicle space setting; nice upper management around.
Atmosphere was amazing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 17, 2015
Great environment I love working and helping people with decisions. putting a smile on a customers face enlightens my day.
Busy workplace
Corporate Customer Service (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJune 17, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: no consistancy
Answered incoming calls about medical benefits.
Handled payment issues from customers and providers

My co workers were wonderful people to work with
Watch Your Back.....there is a lot of back stabbing at UHC, EVEN FROM MANAGEMENT
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 15, 2015
Pros: Monday-Friday
Cons: certain dept's still have to work holiday's, raises suck, management is not very professional
The job is very stressful, almost impossible to take your PTO, Management is very poor, training is not through....their health insurance TOTALLY SUCKS!!!! No advancement opportunities, do yourself a favor...keep on looking!!!!!
Good IT experience
Tier 2 & 3 Support (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, ILJune 14, 2015
Pros: Job security, experience
Cons: Low pay, no room for advancement, disengaged from management
Worked with a ticketing system on tier 2-3 issues. Assisted network/security teams. Constantly went above expected job duties.
Antiquanted thinking management.
Training Manager (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 13, 2015
Pros: Overall company
Cons: Immediate management
The management was new and very afraid of taking chances. She was very antiquated in her thinking and more concerned about her job than the people doing the job she was managing.
The training was exemplary, The atmosphere was great, the compensation was adequate but not competitive.
Assist seniors (Former Employee), Brandon FLJune 12, 2015
Pros: great training, exceptional management, wonderful work atmosphere
Cons: compensation was not competitive. the commissions and bonus structure was sub par.
I liked everything about the training, the management and the work atmosphere and salesteam. the peers were exceptional. the pay was not as competitive as other medicare companies because it was outsourced to a company called APAC. the bonus' and commissions were less than we were promised upon hire. This was a temporary seasonal position. the contract ended and the call center closed. I do appreciate UHC though, because they showed me my forte was call centers and helping seniors choose the best medicare options for their income and health needs. a very good experience overall.
good employer but horrible management
Medical claims & Customer service representative (Former Employee), Harlingen, Texas.June 11, 2015
Pros: high deductible health plan
Cons: 30 min lunch
Good employer but horrible management, make you seem like a robot at times, average handle time is impossible to meet when they make you take english calls and spanish calls and expect you to meet the english call average handle time and make you act like a robot rather than a human.
great place to work, but cubical life isn't for me.
Associate Enrollment Eligibility Representative (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIJune 10, 2015
Pros: affordable health care
Cons: sitting on the computer in a cubical all day
Although I enjoy my coworkers, and we all enjoy potlucks together every three months, at work I live in a cubical. For some, this would be the perfect job because they wouldn't want to interact with customers/guests/people. However, I have learned that I have a calling for customer service, and the cubical life and atmosphere just isn't my cup of tea.

Although the compensations, $11.50/hour plus affordable health care, with HSA options, 401K, and earned paid time off, the sitting and staring at a computer all day is the hardest part of my job.

I love the way that my job makes me think while I process, and I have learned multiple aspects of my job, which gives me job security. Often times there will be catering in our lunch/break room.

At UHC, there is this concept of "Our United Culture," and no matter how much it is preached, and how much we are reminded to work by the culture, not many actually follow it. When I was first interviewing for the position, an employee gave me false information about our benefits, and options available to us as employees (ex: 1 month paid time off right away; $12.00/hour starting, ability to use exercise balls as chairs paid by the company for our use, etc). I'm sure there are some truths to these; 1 month paid time off is something that over the years we are able to obtain, we can purchase on our own "exercise ball" that is actually made to sit on the office chair and give all the benefits of an exercise ball. Yet these little details were skewed to make working at the company more glamorous than it truly is, and how they were presented – more... were completely inaccurate. (Integrity is supposed to be the first main value of "Our United Culture")

The application process was a pain, and once hired information about paid time off (PTO), flex time, etc were not given to us, and I had to learn by experience. This is something that I would have appreciated, however learning from experience and asking questions isn't too bad.

I enjoy being able to flex my hours, and the ability to make up lost hours. I value the flexibility that this company offers. There are also opportunities to work from home, depending on the department you are working in. Biweekly one-on-one meetings with the supervisor are also available, and are very beneficial to see where I am sitting work wise-- what I'm doing well in and what I could work on. – less
A day of work United Health Care
Claim Processor Goverment Services (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXJune 10, 2015
Pros: Helping people naviagate through the health care billing system
A typical day at work from the claims processing prospective .
Most days of processing claims are are completed by quality level SOP and PP application to complete each claim correct by company standards, Productiveness Is a major factor for success the claims department. I have learn how to manage production hours effective at a 100% quality . My co workers are close net of college's who work together as multifuction adaptable unit work load balance to the job done, The hardest part of my job manditory over time continual . The most enjoyable part of my is knowing that I make a difference in peoples life when it comes to paying the health claims.
Worse than being in preschool or High School
Health Associate (Former Employee), Chico, CaJune 9, 2015
Pros: Most members were a pleasure to help
Cons: Too many to list!
I had been warned before I decided to try to get a job there but I thought job security. Went through 16 week training program and it is not easy. I made it out to the floor but if you don't bent over and kiss their butt you will not make it. (I don't I treat people with respect and I expect the same) When a certain member of management decided she did not like me there was no way I could keep my job I took up to 70 phone calls a day helping members with there health care and if you make a mistake they don't tell you what you did wrong and how to not make the mistake again you get written up with a warning. And it does not take many to let them fire you. No one can possibly know all of it so if they look hard enough they can find your mistakes. I have never been treated more poorly than I was at this company. Yes I was fired. But they also have in place rules and procedures to protect management so if they are on a power trip you have no recourse. Most of the employees were great and the members most were nice to help and talk to. But they manage you down to the minute and if you do not meet your goals which now are almost impossible to meet you get written up and no raise. It is a proven fact that companies that allow micro managers the morale is in the toilet. Everyone was so busy trying to stay out of trouble they are all miserable. So sad for the largest health care company in the world.
Nice place to work but management needs managing
Consumer Engagement Specialist (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 9, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: short breaks, too time sensitive, needs more empathetic management
There is too much inconsistency, adapting to change is one thing but not having a solid foundation is unacceptable. Meetings are had daily that are repetitive and unnecessary. The co-workers are great but the most satisfying part of the job is knowing you are helping people in need.
Productive and lots of work
Software Implementation Engineer (Current Employee), San DiegoJune 9, 2015
Pros: Good friendly environment
Cons: your work is not been recognised
Love working in this company but when comes to compensation it is not worth it.It has very good work environment and co-workers are very friendly in nature
Mall room clerk
Mail Clerk/ Facilities assistant (Former Employee), Marietta, GAJune 8, 2015
Pros: lived near work
Cons: healthcare benefits
Handled all mail room duties
Learned how to work Pitney Bowes Connect 3000
worked with 700 people throughout the day
most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Productive environment, fuss ball, table tennis
C# Application Developer (Current Employee), Plano, TXJune 8, 2015
Pros: free lunches, medical
Cons: Politics
Good learning environment, excellent benefits,team member were good love to work there again. HR manager is not good she only supports those employees with whom she is happy.
Nice office
Registered Nurse-Call Center RN (Current Employee), sugarlandJune 7, 2015
Pros: weekends/holidays off, impact of nursing advocate for members
Cons: shift bidding, in some areas training was inadequate
I learned claims, benefit and enhanced customer service skills. Scheduled adherence is important, supervisors are helpful as well as coworker. I enjoy being able to assist member with treatment decision options by providing education.
Helping others is a life changing experience
Customer Service Advocate/Training Assistant (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great Insurance Benefits, Great Employee Incentives
Cons: Favortism, not feel confident with speaking to your supervisor
It was so exciting to know that I was making a difference in another person's life. I loved speaking with Members that were happy, sad, angry, or whatever the case may have been; I was very adaptable with each phone call. The hardest part of the job was, seeing the Members that were on fixed incomes not be able to pick up their prescriptions because they could not afford them.

About UnitedHealth Group

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Salaries

$5,820 per month
Nurse Practitioner
$31,215 per year

UnitedHealth Group Photos

OptumRx volunteers serve hot meals to 150+ guests at Mary’s Kitchen for the homeless.
UnitedHealthcare employees volunteer at St. Louis Food Bank providing 7,288 meals.
Myself at Office entrance main