UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,049 reviews matching the search
Someone needs to shut them down
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 28, 2017
Started working with uhc in 2015 and was very excited. At the time it seemed like a good place to work. Two years later and I've never been so stressed out in my life! Not only is the training inadequate but your superior is just as lost as you. How they got promoted to be supervisor is a mystery. They are never around when you need help,outside smoking or texting their boyfriend, and they show favoritism to certain employees. You're expected to be on the phone your whole shift while the teachers pet colors on paper or passes out lollipops. Filing grievances and complaints go unheard because hr direct's decisions are biased. There are numerous inappropriate acts being committed between upper management and employees, given certain employees leverage for advancement over others. This is an unethical, immoral place to work and I live for the day that they are shut down.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Excellent company with many employment opportunities and ability to work from home.
Smarts Processor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 20, 2017
United Health Group provides employees with a computer and internet to be able to work from home. Work schedules are flexible. There are many employment opportunities. There are many teams. As part of a smaller team you get individual attention from your supervisor. There are many activities, around holidays and other employee appreciation events to keep the workplace fun and inclusive. The hardest part of working at UHG as telecommuter is any problems you have with your computer, you are responsible for solving. I enjoy the daily interactions with my team, to report work direction, goals and share ideas.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
lack of raises
Lots of Opportunities in both UHC and Optum
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 7, 2017
I started working in Optum and loved my job and the people. I learned a lot. Within 1 year I moved to a higher position in UHC. I am not currently working in the realm of my background and experience, but I can not complain because I work from home, make my own hours I want to work, and work with fantastic people. I have also learned a ton in the position I am in now. I love my boss too. I am ready to move up to the next level. Only thing I do not like, is they put a Big Brother software on our computers and after 3 seconds if we are not moving the mouse, it clocks us. This software also tells Mgt what applications we are using, what websites we are going to etc etc. We are also required to log what we are doing through a separate software. I am not pleased with Management for these 2 softwares. I do not think it is fair to do this to an associate. Otherwise I love the company.
Pros
Opportunity, Flexible, Great Benefits, Work at Home, Great People
Cons
Big Brother Software!!!
Fast paced; challenging environment
PROJECT MANAGER for OPTUM HEALTH GROUP (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 12, 2016
Its a good place to work but be ready to have your multitasking skills at 100% at all times as they cram to many projects per PM into one person. They want you to have a good balance of home live and good quality of living for personal healthy but I and others do not get that at OPTUM / UHG. My personal roll was both a "Cross App" and "App PM" roles with 12 - 14 projects running simultaneously. I came on as a contractor, offered a FTE position but turned it down as the FTE pay was to the very and the benefits and paying for parking was not beneficial to becoming an FTE. Getting help was often a difficult task as well. As much as management states "ask for help" if you need it, 98% of the time it was non existent. Ask a million and one questions within the first two weeks of starting here or you will be lost of who is who and what person represents what LOB.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Too much of a work load and too many chiefs in the pot
Good work & life balance
Sr. Developer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis,MNJanuary 23, 2017
Management and workplace culture are good.
Work Life Balance
Motivating Culture
Salary
Onshore Opportunities
Healthcare Sector
ideas are welcomed and appreciated
Opportunities to learn
Competitive Hospital system with many opportunities
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NY 13790December 22, 2016
This is a great company/ healthcare network to be a part of. They are constantly growing and improving and look for individuals who will help them in doing so. Prior training and experience is almost a must as their training programs can be rushed or change a lot, but plenty of work, good benefits, and many opportunities await!
Pros
great benefits, good pay, holiday parties
Cons
highly competitive, stressful
Productive work place
Member Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2017
UnitedHealth Group is a really great company to work for, they have good benefits and great pay. I was hired onto the 'Medicare and Retirement' department dealing with older members and their benefits. Training was 11 weeks long they cover everything you need to know, there are a lot of systems that are used. It seemed like there was opportunity for advancement, they were always growing and there is a work from home option as well. I don't like how hr was set up like a call center you never get to see anyone in person always have to call and somethings do go overlooked.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Hr
Must be able to take the good while dealing with the bad.
Senior Licensing Coordinator Specialists (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COFebruary 17, 2017
Is easy to get lost in the large corporate office politics. The lack of yearly review compensation makes it hard to gain any kind of "real" advancement in compensation.
Pros
benefits-PTO
Cons
prootions/advancement, compensation
Unreasonable workloads
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 4, 2016
United does not see employees as people, more like production machines. The amount of work they require someone to do is not balanced between employees and when the volume increases they do not add employees, just expect those in place to pick up the extra. Many times they find ways to eliminate positions leaving less people with the same or more work. They also lay off MANY people working in the US and outsource to India and other countries. It is all about the bottom line at UHC, not about providing good medical coverage to members.
Pros
Work from home positions
Cons
Insurance benefits are terrible for EEs, no job security, very task-oriented.
Great if you find the right department for you
Spec Ops Benefit QA (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNDecember 13, 2016
If you find the department you fit you in well then it can be a good place to work but the healthcare benefits are terrible, very expensive with high deductibles. I learned a lot about numerous departments in healthcare from medical billing to pharmacy. Management in the department I worked in was very biased towards "favorites" and did not treat all employees equally. My coworkers were great, and most offered up help whenever needed to ensure smooth process flow.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
unequal treatment of employees and poor benefits
UnitedHealth Group
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 10, 2017
Great fulltime employer with good pay and benefits. Sometimes overtime was allowed and I liked that but consistent buyouts caused job security to be questionable and company ended up closing downtown area I worked in during 2008.
Pros
Pay, Salary, Management
Cons
Job Security
Great environment, great people
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIDecember 27, 2016
I loved this job but was simply to distracted by things going on in my personal life to be able to perform properly. They even gave me many chances to continue working there when anywhere else would have immediately terminated me. The management was great and very understanding, the bonus system was wonderful, many advancement opportunites. I really have nothing but nice things to say about this place and wish I didn't have to leave, but things just didn't work out in my case.
Good place to work no advancement horrible pay
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 30, 2016
Currently work for United healthcare. Good place to work with good people but will not advance you if the current position needs you. I m a LPN and took a job to leave the nursing home thinking it was going to be easy to advance after my year was up big mistake. Poor pay for the amount of work that they expected of you with the metric being so high. Good work life balance because I work from home.
Pros
Work From home
Cons
Short lunch no advancement poor compensation
UTILIZATION REVIEW NURSE (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 17, 2016
I've had nothing but positive experiences with this company. Endless opportunities to advance and grow as a professional.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance, Compensation/Benefits
Cons
Job Culture, Job Security
Nice Work Environment
SUMMER INTERN, 2015 (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYJanuary 3, 2017
I was an summer intern here and the place was amazing!

The coworkers were friendly, the management was open-minded, and the customers appreciated the staff so much they brought free food at times!

Although I know little about how the job-advancement there is, I had a great time there as an intern.

Even with the minimum wage, the free food more than made up for it and I greatly enjoyed working there.
Pros
Free food, one-hour lunch break, Easy Tasks, Relaxing Coworkers
Cons
Unclear mode of advancement, Not a lot of open positions
Great Place, great people good company
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJanuary 9, 2017
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
Very large company, mostly telecomute jobs.
Unison Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 14, 2017
The pay is competitive and the work-life balance is manageable. The workplace culture is inclusive. I learned a lot about managed care.
Pros
Telecommute jobs
Cons
The company is constantly changing so job security is an issue.
Company does not care about wellbeing of employees
Billing Specialis (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2016
This company does not care about there employees. They are too busy buying up small companies and destroying the small family culture, everyday there are changes, they close our Cash Posting department and everyone loses there job, the next day they let our Patient Pay Collectors go, people that have been with our company for over 20 years is now unemployed. We use to have company parties and events and UHC has taken that away bringing our moral down so low people hate coming to work. They also offer ZERO advancement opportunities, I have applied for more than 10 different positions all of which I am qualified for and are entry level and I am turned down within 24 hours of submitting my application. A company that does not promote from within is a s**** company.
Pros
A paycheck for now
Cons
Constant fear of being let go, micromanagement, horrible benefits and pto
beware of management
Urgent Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 8, 2016
This company is only focused on numbers. Patients should come first but they only care about how fast every thing is done and ignore patient safety along the way. Staff is constantly short. Management only has a few select employees that they actually care about. Management has favorites. The favorites are the only opinions that matter to the management team. Speaking of management teams, don't expect any kind of advance with this company unless you are on the favorites list. Management has blocked senior employees from advancement or posting out to different locations, because they rather put their friends into these positions. People are placed into management positions even if they do not have the credentials to back the job. But don't worry, if a manger can not perform their duties correctly, then they get an assistant manager to help plus a raise! Which is usually another friend that is equally not qualified! Employee abuse is at an all time high. Abusive managers get away with employee abuse. There is a "take it of leave it" attitude instead of fixing the problems. If you can keep to yourself and avoid the extra drama, you might survive. Great employees have left due to poor management and lack of a voice in the company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
management and their minions
In my opinion I can allocate 4 points out of 10 based on my experience
SCRUM MASTER (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 28, 2016
Not agile rather hybrid in true sense called OSAM. Interference by management and lot of politics at team and project level.

40-50 % time wasted in unrelated meetings that could be used in value added tasks

Co-workers were fine

Hardest job was interference of management in applying scrum process and management not listening to change.

Lack of appreciation

Very large setup with too many programs with new teams not reached to maturity stage with loose architectural highway.

Most enjoyable part was availability of new gadgets, exercise rooms and state of the art facility.
Pros
Good gadgets
Cons
Management confussion about their own job security and reflecting the same

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.