UnitedHealth Group
1,514 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employer Reviews

Fast-paced, competitive, highly rewarding job.
High Risk OB RN Case Manager (Current Employee), TelecommuterSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: work from home, great pto package, somewhat flexible for family needs, excellent compensation with bonuses if metrics are met, ingenuity is valued, patient appreciation
Cons: very fast-paced, competitive environment, high expectations, somewhat negative management, poor insurance benefits
This position is different from other nursing jobs in that it is a telephonic desk job. There is no hands-on nursing in this type of case management. Working from home is a great benefit for an employee who is very self-disciplined, but to be secure in a position such as telephonic case management, there are metrics that are strict and require hard – more... work.

The first six months were a logistical nightmare, trying to learn the computer system and get my own system down while still being expected to meet the amount of phone calls and enrollments expected of those who have worked there for years. This responded with experience, but it took a strong resolve to get through that learning curve. Management can be negative, but this stems from pressure from their management, not a lack of caring.

Metrics are high but possible. A Type-A personality and a desire to compete against your best is a must for this position. The reward is different than traditional nursing. There are still patients who express gratitude for the education and case management services I've rendered, but most of the reward is in a personal best, preventing a preterm delivery, or in bonuses, which are frequently handed out to those meeting metrics and participating.

This company is very focused on employee satisfaction and employee feedback. My suggestions and ingenuity are valued, which is a huge benefit.

Overall, this is fabulous job for a disciplined, confident, competitive self-starter. It is not for the faint of heart or a needy employee. The right personality can flourish in this position! – less
Objectives
Customer First Representative (Former Employee), Onalaska, WISeptember 20, 2014
To obtain a responsible and challenging position with a progressive company where my work experience will be a valuable application, and utilization of my experience will benefit my opportunity for advancement.
basic 9 to 5
Specialty Pharmacy CSA (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2014
I loved my coworkers and managers. the job was stressful only because of corperate policy makers and health benefits were kind of lame having worked for a health insurance company. but
Billing Coordinator/Quality Auditor (Former Employee), Moline , ILSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits, opportunity to work from home 1 day a week or in case of bad weather.
I learned computer skills, how to manage time, billing, auditing skills. The co-workers were very enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of auditing was to ensure that I did not make any errors while auditing the enrollment coordiators. The most enjoyable part of the day was when the coordiators had no errors.
not a good work environment
Medical Coding Auditor (Former Employee), Franklin, TNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: remote positon
Cons: pay not worth the negative suporvisors
no chance for advancement
poor communication from managers
only negative feedback
EXTREME STRESS
Clinical Administration Coordinator (Former Employee), Richardson, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: works hours
Cons: manager got being able to talk with the workers
Reviewed cases for accuracy and completeness, understanding principles of HIPAA; So maintained government mandated confidentiality, while verifying member eligibility.

Distributed workload to a staff nurses, called providers to verify client/customer billing information.

Reviewed gap requests and determined gap exceptions for the customer's policies – more... and exceeded quality and production goals.

Utilized online tools to research physician data and in-house databases to research eligibility for in/out work status of providers.

Responded to incoming provider and enrollee calls and subsequently resolving customer service inquiries which included:

Notifications and providers status and/or determining if notification is required.
Completing with ICD-9 and CPT coding customer service representation to both providers and enrollees

Constantly meeting productivity goals and quality standards, while adhering to a schedule Assisted with faxes and emails to facilitate communication between provider and in house resources.

The hardest part of the job was policies changing from day to day not enough trainging,

I got along great with my co-workers.

Most enjoyable part of my job was helping others. – less
Productive place to work at
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), WauwatosaSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: close to malls, onsite cafe
Cons: short breaks
Fast paced friendly environment, company lives by their mission statement and values.
Nice productive environment with great managers and team
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: lots of free coffee!
Cons: 30 minute lunches were often.
A typical day at work could be intense. That's when I do my best work with quotas and a very active environment.

I learned Patient Care Coordination partnered with group policy plans.

I worked with exceptional co-workers who were equal in work ethics

Hardest part of job was difficult customers but those were very far and few in between. Overall, – more... not much difficulty. I love learning

Helping customers and feeling productive that I've done my job to the best of my abilities. – less
Optum Rx
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Mission ValleySeptember 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits, nice facility's, great people.
Cons: long mandatory hours. 12+ hour shifts everyday.
I worked at a desk processing Prior Authorizations most of the day.
I learned how to work on team project effectively, how to process Prior Authorizations, ext..
Management was new and had a a hard time managing 40+ people but they did the best they could and they worked hard.
I loved my co-workers we got along very well and worked well with each other. – more... The hardest part about the Job was keeping up with constantly changing procedures, it was completely doable just sometimes difficult. The best part was being a part of the team, and making sure a customer was able to get what they needed. – less
BILLING AND ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Roanoke, VASeptember 16, 2014
Great starting pay and benefits, many opportunities for advancement.
awesome
Senior customer service representative (Former Employee), Cypress, CASeptember 16, 2014
i loved this company i wish the new members coming aboard was more fruitful or i'd still be there.
Overall good company
Sr. Pharmacy Claims Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Great opprotunities for advancement
Good training
Good upward training
Good management
Business Consultant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2014
Great to place to start a career and continue a career. Just be ready to put in a good amount of hours.
Community and State Claims Project Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2014
Within every position the company makes you work hard and learn a great deal of information to help you become a more productive person in the company culture.
excellent company
Health Educator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2014
Rewarding job helping others achieve their health goals. great work . No travel involved.
It's a Job
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: 5 day week with weekends & holidays off. decent pay. shuttle service to marta.
Cons: rampant, unchecked favoritism. no diversity - at all. nebulous, unapproachable, and ineffective management. malignant and toxic work environment and morale is extremely low. inept, unmotivated, co-workers (there are a few exceptions.) deplorable health benefits!
I work for a segment within the company. This segment was acquired by UHG in 2012, so my review is based on my experience within the segment and may not apply to the company as a whole.

A typical day within my office consists of arriving promptly to set up my work station, and within minutes of settling into my cubicle being informed of the latest – more... scuttlebutt du jour - regardless if I wish to hear it or not. Once the shift has started, I field incessant, repetitive, and mundane phone calls, repeating the same information ad nauseum to people who've heard it 10,000 times before, yet still ask questions and become irate as if our processes are totally foreign to them. You are not allowed to place callers on hold, even if their issue requires brief research to be resolved. There is often NO break in between calls, and breaks are often cancelled depending on which way the wind blows.

High accuracy and productivity is expected at all times despite the fact that the computer systems and software are outdated, not well maintained, and frequently crashes. Our phone systems are shoddy at best, and the phone prompts takes callers to every other department save the one they need. It is sometimes impossible to answer a call because the antiquated telephony software becomes unresponsive, opening you up to a possible "call avoidance" infraction.

I'm not required to use any critical thought, creativity, or free-thinking. Employing these traits will cause management to regard you as if you have three heads with five eyes a piece.

Speaking of management - it is nebulous and unsupportive at best, and counter-intuitive and inept at worst. No two managers will give you the same answer on any one topic, and changes are often made not because they are necessary for the "big picture", or for efficiency's sake, but just because they can be made. Change is a constant (true with any organization). But the changes within this organization are arbitrarily and cavalierly made without consideration to how they impact workflow efficiency, productivity, service levels, or customer satisfaction. Managers and supervisors blatantly show favoritism at the expense of office morale. Productivity suffers as a result, and management attempts to sugar coat their actions and place the blame on staff versus showing a modicum of integrity and owning their mistakes. All of this has created a team that is anything but unified and a microcosm of misery that would drive any sane person to alcoholism.

My department's fascist approach to personnel management would make Mussolini a proud man. Prepare to have personal liberties stripped as you walk through the door: you are not allowed to have your cell phone (at all, for ANY reason, despite the fact other departments aren't held to this same standard.) Most reading material outside of company provided propaganda is verboten (with the insane amount of calls coming in, it's unlikely you'd have time to read a sentence, let alone a whole book). Need to use the restroom? You're allotted an average of 4 minutes a day for bathroom breaks (I hope you're able to pop a squat, wipe and wash quickly for they DO monitor this.) You're not allowed music at your desk, no matter how tasteful or benign. And no browsing the web (although I wholly understand and somewhat support this, this organization takes it to the extreme.) My personal favorite is the frequent use of scathing, electronic vitriol mass e-mailed to all associates in response to the impropriety of one or two. Apparently, it is a foreign concept to address those individuals versus chiding the entire group. There's a considerable difference between announcing the code of conduct and disparaging and entire group for the actions of a few. We all have copies of the same handbook, code of ethics, and code of conduct. These rules do not apply, however, if you are one of the manager's pets.

If you have an issue within your department, a co-worker, or - heaven forbid - a member of management, don't expect help from Human Resources. They are in place for the company's interest ONLY and couldn't care less about the individual. You are just another number. Never forget that should you be employed here.

Co-workers. Hm. Most of my co-workers are duplicitous and quite immature. There's much gossip in the office, and no small amount of "fraternization" between ranks. Many spend their time trying to police the actions of others versus letting management do their jobs. Someone will always be worried about what YOU are doing and not about doing their jobs. Oh, I should also mention there is absolutely NO ethnic diversity here. I doubt this is by happenstance and is solely by design. I feel that this has also contributed to the nocuous environment that pervades the office. I find it hilarious that there hasn't been an EEOC complaint filed yet.

The most difficult part of my job? Aside from the info above, deplorable benefit packages (high deductibles, high premiums, scant coverage), dealing with the office politics, the often rude, opprobrious providers that call, and the lack of internal support is by far the shining jewels in this category.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Well, it's something to add to the resume. Leaving the office at the end of my shift is quite nice. We accrue PTO quickly. Good luck holding on to it, though.

What I've learned? I've learned that I can do - and deserve - much better, and as such, I have resumed my employment search. – less
Have been looking for other employment since the day i was hired here.
Sr. Provider Data / Claims Analyst (Current Employee), MinnesotaSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: low insurance premiums
Cons: low pay; no career potential; just a monkey in a cube
No career path/promotion opportunities unless you are a favorite regardless of talent or drive to succeed; Managment constantly rotated I haven't had the same supervisor for more than one year; Poor consideration for longer term employees who still make LESS than new off the street employees which is sad. Don't care about your previous education/experience – more... in relation to your potential.
On the other hand; the flexibility to work at home when you need to is great. As far as HR is concerned; they are impossible; and their employee handbook references everything at 'management discretion'; which means they can get away with whatever they want as there are no structured rules. – less
Great Doctors.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Urology office. I did check out and check in at times. managed authorizations for procedures/ tests. scheduled appointment . phones 6 lines.
Overworked & not appreciated
RN Utilization Nurse (Former Employee), Tucson, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Worked 70-80 hours per week with frequent employee turnover. Management discouraging and not supportive.
Good benefits and higher management.
Client Services (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: 401k, stock options, 144 hrs of pto annually.
Cons: mid-level management
I believe UHG as a whole is a good organization. I learned so much about the health insurance industry and countless administrative-related duties.

A few of my colleagues have become lasting friends.

The most difficult part of the job is working with mid-level management to resolve client and employee issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is – more... making a difference for my customers. Nothing beats the feeling of helping someone and gaining their trust thru true resolution. When I can tell that customers know I care, I am a happy camper! – less

About UnitedHealth Group

When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours. We have modest goals: Improve the lives – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Photos