UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,477 reviews matching the search
worst company ever
cod rep (Former Employee) –  frederick mdJuly 7, 2016
one of the worst places to work they hire and fire at will,management does not care about people,trainers are poor trainers don't know how to train management rules by fear if you want to get hired so that you are fired tomorrow well join this company,i worked at Optum in Frederick and there is a conspicuous lack of male managers 90% of the managers are women if men dominated management like they do here there will be an outcry our team started at 15 and by the time i was leaving we were down to 4 another team they were 22 and down to seven ,they do that cause they can get a pool of applicants from recruiting agencies,they keep on telling you it is a great place to work all the time but in reality it is not,the pay is just a little above minimum wage,no one is sure how long they will last always under constant fear of being fired........people get fired all the time it is ridiculous .......so many empty cubicles you turn around and you remember all those who sat next to you who have been fired and wonder if you are next ,when you get called to the office there is an 80 % you are being let go ,no warnings no nothing just like that and they give you this speech that they will try and help you with whatever you want to move your career forward,i thought it was a great company but it is not in reality this company cares less about its employees but just about making money..........
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Very professional work place environment
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 7, 2016
Professional atmosphere were everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I enjoyed working for this company even though it was a short lived experience for myself.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Complicated billing system
Have memorable work experience at UHG
Sr. PL/SQL, UNIX Developer (Former Employee) –  InidaJuly 6, 2016
Simply I love UHG. Work life is balanced. I used to balance both work and personal life.

Had lots of fun at work, events, company anniversary's, awards & rewards..excellent managers, good team support, nice friends etc..

Good RRP's, variable pays..

Had memorable team lunchs, team outings & resorts etc..

I hope to re-join UHG.
Pros
Free Quarterly team outings
Cons
PTO's etc
Fun Staff!
Case Manager - IVIG Home Health Nursing (Current Employee) –  Phoenix AZJuly 6, 2016
UHG is a great company. After the company took over Sirona Infusion, ideas from staff at networking events have quickly turned into new business opportunities! If you are excited about something, you can do it! The company does a great job of looking at internal talent for leadership opportunities and works with individuals that are interested in moving up on their areas for improvement. Employees are encouraged to hold each other accountable to the values that make this company unique. UHG has a mission - they are focused on raising the bar for service delivery and opportunities for individuals in services as well as for employees and their professional development. But most of all, they work to stand out with their clients.
Pros
Great salies
Cons
Not enough PRN opportunities
SMA - not a pleasurable work experience
CSR-SMA (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 6, 2016
This rating is specifically referring to SMA or Southwest Medical specifically their scheduling department. Unfortunately this is the first company I have worked for that I would not recommend to anyone seeking employment. There is no respect for employees, management has little to no concern regarding life outside of the office (emergencies, illness, injury, etc) Just to give an example a woman went into LABOR...yes labor....having a baby. She was taken to the hospital and upon her return she was presented with a final for attendance due to her having to "leave early". When other coworkers would transition out of this department to another within the company management would stop speaking to them and snub or ignore them in passing and their reasoning "because you left us". A-lot is thrown at you with little to no real training. Its a sink or swim atmosphere with little compensation for the work load. Currently the department is VERY short handed because those there have already or are currently leaving (quite, transferring out) and when they saw this happening management began putting employees on Corrective actions to trap them into staying (if your on a corrective action you cant transfer). Those that did transfer management kept prolonging their leave dates because they have to release the employee to begin in their new position. Not to mention its all about the numbers. Management does not care how this negatively impacts the patient or customer as long as their numbers are met. I am not sharing this because I was disciplined or fired...I applied for and received a new  more... position in a new department however I want others considering applying for this company to be FULLY INFORMED. You will be sold int believing this is a "great place to work" because THEY NEED YOU but you should know the WHOLE TRUTH. You've been warned.  less
Pros
Co Workers for the most part are a team
Cons
Management treats you like a number not a person, low pay for work load, very low moral and management could care less, Its all about the numbers at patients/customers expense
Excellent Place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2016
UHG is one of the greatest places to work. There is opportunity for improvement and growth. They also make it easy to give back in the surrounding communities.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
More work from home positions
Productive and enjoable place to work that fosters growth.
Associate Contract Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 6, 2016
Amazing co-workers/team to work on. The hours are fairly flexible although a bit restricting at first due to learning curve. The current team I am on has very little growth; they do not like to see people leave and the turn over is very low. Most of the management is approachable.
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTJuly 5, 2016
Management and co-workers are helpful and encouraging. They support a good work/life balance. Merits are noticed and acknowledged.
its been long
Sr. Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJuly 5, 2016
its been long, it was good working there. the only thing was was not able to learn new things was not challenging. not good pay and also less PTO/vacation time.
No Advancement
Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 5, 2016
The only positive side to working to UHC is flexibility on your schedule. There isn't a growth opportunity based off education and experience. Most people are over worked and doing double duty because of high turn over. There aren't any incentives and overtime is the only way they can keep steady on client numbers. I have never seen such dated material and processing. I am left speechless in a position where I cannot move up based on their scaling. The hardest part is investing so much time knowing you won't get anything in return.
Pros
its a job
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, over worked and never get caught up
Soul sucking job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 5, 2016
Strict metrics for customer service that make it impossible to meet your numbers and quality as measurements are conflicting. Poor middle management,
Great company to work for. Benefits are great
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHJuly 4, 2016
I enjoyed my time at united health group. the only reason i am leaving is because i moved and wanted something closer to home. good company
It's a paycheck
CUSTOMER CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2016
I appreciate the stability and security of a paycheck. The pay isn't enough for the work that is done.

Perk: The ability to work from home is very convenient.
Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 3, 2016
Its a good company to work for. I work for this company and did alil bit of selling the medicare part d program as well as doing the mail order and had the pleasure of working of the phone and just processing orders
Pros
Great Company
Cons
needed a longer lunch at time
Micro Management nightmare
New Day Claims Processor/New Day Operations Expert (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJuly 2, 2016
Everyone would have to come in for my shift and log on and would be literally watched all day and if you got up to use the bathroom or your 15 minute breaks you had to make sure your manager knew where you were at all times, now this was in the in-house claims dept. Other departments were not like this. Career advancement was almost impossible unless you knew someone who could help you post out to another dept.
Pros
Company Cafe, Flex Time, Ability to work from home
Cons
Extreme Micro Management, Were not allow to talk while you were working
Major Insurance Company with benefits
Senior Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 2, 2016
I have learned much about dealing with the Senior population in this role. How to deal with difficult customers, and turn it into a positive experience most of the time. The hardest part of the job is sitting in one spot with a headset on for 8 hours a day, and then up to 10 hours a day during Medicare Season.

One the plus side, I really enjoy the bonuses. Hard to find a job that you can work from home, make a salary and bonuses now. For me it is a plus.
Pros
Telecommuting, vacation time
Behind the scenes managers often target employees unethically
Health Care Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2016
Some managers because they have the freedom of discretion, abuse their power. Often times managers speak to employees rudely and condescending. It is hard to move up especially when managers do not like you for personal reasons. Managers don't greet employees . Work life balance is hard to maintain at this company. The managers often play favoritism. While some employees are able to come in later and make up the time at the end of their shift other employees are given occurances for being 5 mins late. Where managers are able to come in late or leave early to handle personal matters without penalty. Unless you are a nurse or management you don't have any wiggle room, and many employees who work under Optum Health want to move to different areas in the business because of how uncomfortable they feel because managers treat them like they aren't an important part of the company. Managers have too much freedom and no one is paying attention to the way the employees are being treated, talked to or handled and many employees are too afraid to say anything or to call HR for fear of retaliation.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
No compassion / treated like
United Healthcare Group "UHC"
Customer Sr. Representive (Former Employee) –  Braddock Hills, PAJuly 1, 2016
"POSITIVE" and "PROFESSIONAL",yet "COMFORTABLE" work environment. The Management were extremely Professional, and extra Compassionate. I have "ONLY POSITIVEITY" for this company.
My work experience was a "5-STAR" review over all the Company was an outstanding experience. I only wish I got hired on within the company. All Employers, Employee's, and even the UHC members were So Compassionate, and Understanding, extremely helpful with any question. The work environment was Professional yet Relaxed, a no pressure. Management made me feel so welcomed and the "Management was Appreciative to all the F/T Temp. employee's.
I would go to work within this company at any opportunity that I would have ....!!!!

United Healthcare=Excellent Work Environment, and extremely Professional, and Compassionate, management..
OVER-ALL EXPERIENCE== "EXCELLENT'"
Pros
EXCELLENT WORK EXPERIENCE, Management and other employee's were so COMPASSIONATE, and SUPPORTIVE.. ONLY "POSITIVITY" from this job.
Cons
DID NOT GET HIRED!! after F/T Temp. position
Poor Management
Customer Service Advocate/ Government Programs (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 1, 2016
poor management at a professional level, the employees look really unhappy,bad training and not enough work materials
Great team environment to work in
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJune 30, 2016
Good place to get your feet wet in the insurance industry. There is a lot to learn and the opportunity to move up is there if you are willing to put in the work and have the time to be considered.
Pros
Caribou in the building/ free gym
Cons
short breaks