UnitedHealth Group
2,058 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Productive and lots of work
Software Implementation Engineer (Current Employee), San DiegoJune 9, 2015
Pros: Good friendly environment
Cons: your work is not been recognised
Love working in this company but when comes to compensation it is not worth it.It has very good work environment and co-workers are very friendly in nature
Mall room clerk
Mail Clerk/ Facilities assistant (Former Employee), Marietta, GAJune 8, 2015
Pros: lived near work
Cons: healthcare benefits
Handled all mail room duties
Learned how to work Pitney Bowes Connect 3000
worked with 700 people throughout the day
most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Productive environment, fuss ball, table tennis
C# Application Developer (Current Employee), Plano, TXJune 8, 2015
Pros: free lunches, medical
Cons: Politics
Good learning environment, excellent benefits,team member were good love to work there again. HR manager is not good she only supports those employees with whom she is happy.
Nice office
Registered Nurse-Call Center RN (Current Employee), sugarlandJune 7, 2015
Pros: weekends/holidays off, impact of nursing advocate for members
Cons: shift bidding, in some areas training was inadequate
I learned claims, benefit and enhanced customer service skills. Scheduled adherence is important, supervisors are helpful as well as coworker. I enjoy being able to assist member with treatment decision options by providing education.
Helping others is a life changing experience
Customer Service Advocate/Training Assistant (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great Insurance Benefits, Great Employee Incentives
Cons: Favortism, not feel confident with speaking to your supervisor
It was so exciting to know that I was making a difference in another person's life. I loved speaking with Members that were happy, sad, angry, or whatever the case may have been; I was very adaptable with each phone call. The hardest part of the job was, seeing the Members that were on fixed incomes not be able to pick up their prescriptions because they could not afford them.
UHG
Customer Service Representative/ Validation (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 4, 2015
the company was a great place to work for I loved my job and the co-workers the only problem I had was getting FMLA approved for my son who is asthmatic.
Things need a little work at UHC.
Community and State Provider Rep (Former Employee), Doral, FLJune 3, 2015
Pros: competitive pay and benefits
Cons: Accountability and departments not all performing properly.
There were a few issues with the culture we were expected to live under and accountability for everyone abiding it. Overall the job was not terrible but the environment could be better.
Reasonible Enviornment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 3, 2015
Pros: knowledge
Cons: benefits
A great place to wok family oriented. Knowledge of the system and how the company operates. Respectable environment. Co workers are loving and like family. The Supervisors are respectable and understanding.
Wouldn't work there again
Support Clerk, Uniprise Operations (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJune 2, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Many
Many reasons. They got rid of me because I took time off to be cured of cancer. I did several things, the front desk, the mail room, data entry, ordering supplies, delivering supplies, setting up work stations for new employees
Claims Representative Associate (Former Employee), Sugarland,TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great work atmosphere
Cons: Expensive
Great helping people.Diverse company. The work/office atmosphere was good. People that work here are easy to get along with.
Great Place to start a Career path
Associate clinical account coordinator (Current Employee), Elkridge, MDMay 31, 2015
The House Calls Department is one of the many Departments under the United Healthcare system. Its Offers a challenging position that targets helping members maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
Wonderful place to work with pleasant environment.
Database Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 31, 2015
Pros: Kept up with the latest software, Allowed employees to attend classes to gain software knowledge.
A typical day at work was using my technical, analytical and clerical skills. At this job, I was introduced to computers, learned Medical Terminology and learned to develop "Access" databases by working closely with a Computer Science Engineer while she was developing databases for our department. I enjoyed assisting co-workers with software problems, but the hardest part of the job was filing because it is so boring. I love brain work.
Insurance
Personal Service Representative (Former Employee), Sunrise, FlMay 31, 2015
Helping Medicare and Medicaid patients find the best plan for them as well as help them understand their plan. I ordered id cards for the members. I reached out to health care providers to get the patient what they needed.
Great place to work at
Health Advisor (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 29, 2015
I fully recommend working at United Healthcare great work environment and great management!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay place to work
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee), Richardson, TXMay 28, 2015
We take about 30 calls a day during the "slow season." They sent us an e-mail 3 months after starting stating that April of next year we'll be switched over to flex schedules where we could possibly be off for 8-16 weeks with no pay during the slow season. I think that it's entirely too much work for the pay. I love the actual work and helping the elderly but I think they would get a lot more results if they paid more.
Merber Services Rep
Member Services Rep (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Loved learning regarding insurnce benefits
Cons: Department closing
Member Services rep-Assisting Hospitals/Doctor Offices with benefit verification. Great management/rep team. Very nice group.
OK Experiences
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 28, 2015
OK Experience the management was kind of scattered and bias The call center call flow was a very high volume and we had limited help on the floor
Specialized work with no experience opportunity outside given role
Anonymous (Current Employee), MinnesotaMay 27, 2015
Pros: Good pay, large enough company for those coming in with previous experience, work at home opportunities
Cons: Little to no variety each day, Unable to acquire new professional experience, Frequent emotionally intense days, Disrespectful and rude members, Micromanagement, Lack of control of day-to-day tasks or schedule, High turnover
As an employee of the "Population Health Management" division my job was extremely specific... take and make the exact same calls pertaining to the same exact conversation, day in and day out. The only variety is whether or not we make the calls (thus giving us some background on the member and control over the call) or take calls (engaging with random members about a program they have preconceived notions about and little appreciation for). There was little variety in the work day and very few of the members are appreciative of the work we do. Due to this lack of variety, no additional experience is garnered that may help to advance your career (like most people working the telephones want) so you can reasonably expect to be stuck in the same role and at best the same division for the length of your tenure there. Since this is a service to employees of other companies, expect to work a large amount of evening and probably even weekends to begin with (I had to work 70% of my hours either after 5:00 PM or on Saturday) which leads to a poor work/life balance and, for many people doing an intense telephonic job like the one I have, depression. Also, near the end of the year (Oct.-Dec.) expect to work OT since that's when incentive deadlines are.

Despite many issues being brought to management's attention, very little is done to help find that balance and in fact on their yearly employee survey last year there were disclaimers that "...these topics may not be reflective of the action and directions of the company." This company is strictly in it for themselves, not you, me, or – more... the members they serve. You can also expect to throw your self-respect and integrity away while being employed here since managers don't stand for decency, respect, and holding members accountable. If you stand-up for yourself when a member is being rude or disrespectful you can expect to be punished by a slew of potential ways including but not limited to... little to no raise, prevention of advancement for 1 year (happened to a friend of mine), revoking of work-at-home status, and/or termination. Lastly, managers and senior management would prefer to bend-over-backwards for member's to get their incentive than to help their coach's workloads and hold member's accountable. It's no longer uncommon now for "completion requirements" to be changed simply to ensure completion.

If you are lucky, you will be put on a team with a supervisor that doesn't motivate through the use of fear and micromanagement. I am blessed to have the managers I have/had, but many others don't have that opportunity. Managers have been known to screenshot a person's screen, monitor instant messages, or in my case, deny a "kudos" on the account of it "not being professional enough".

THE GOOD PART(S)...
- They provide what has been dubbed as the "golden handcuff". They pay very well initially, but don't expect very much in the way of a raise (1._% this past year which is well below the 3% inflation rate). What this means is that eventually you will be losing money if you make a career in this position.
- The job can be extremely rewarding if you get the right members. However, WFM (Workforce Management) adjust your schedule week-to-week so there's little chance of long-term connection.
- Senior management has stated there is a benefit to having employees WAH (Work At Home) so eventually you will be shuffled home to work.
- Since there is such high turnover, you can expect pretty solid job security. They are constantly looking for/in need of new health coaches. – less
Needs Improvement
Customer service representative (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 27, 2015
Pros: the breaks
Cons: Not organized
Not Organized and communication is not at its best. The hardest part of the job is the lack of communication of changes and whats new, whats no longer used and the rude providers.
Poor Mgmt
SEL/NEC (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMay 27, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Inexperienced Mgmt
Consistent Overtime demanded.
Inexperienced/unprofessional supervisors
Co-workers were great and helpful
Not enough training for the work performed

About UnitedHealth Group

We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Salaries

$5,833 per month
Nurse Practitioner
$31,215 per year

UnitedHealth Group Photos

OptumRx volunteers serve hot meals to 150+ guests at Mary’s Kitchen for the homeless.
UnitedHealthcare employees volunteer at St. Louis Food Bank providing 7,288 meals.
Myself at Office entrance main