UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,051 reviews matching the search
Senior IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 20, 2017
The culture is great even for a large company. Great work / life balance. Management is very nice and understanding. Ability to move in lateral positions if desired.
terrible place to work
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 25, 2016
United Healthcare is only worried about management. The members are not first priority, they are only numbers. The company pays well but you are expected to do so much overtime there is there no time for family or personal life. They fired me because my father died un-expectantly and they told me after being gone for two days I was MIA and if I did not come back I would risk my job. The turn around on employees is terrible and the training sucks so the new employees are never really able to help a member correctly. The mandatory overtime wont even allow you to go to your scheduled Dr appointments that have been scheduled months in advance.
I do not recommend working here to anyone unless they make a huge change in business practice.
Pros
Cons
everything
Hard job, unrealistic expectations
Customer service advocate. (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 25, 2016
Pay and benefits were decent. The expectations from management were very unrealistic and difficult to achieve. They are not afraid to fire you if you don't meet goals. Difficult to get time off approved. Mandatory overtime since they were so short staffed because they can't keep up with employee turnover.
Pros
Pay was decent.
Cons
Poor work/life balance. Difficult to achieve expectations.
Great Opportunity
Associate IT Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJSeptember 8, 2016
Like any other job/career you have days that are slow and others that are busy. On those busy days you feel a lot of satisfaction that you are making a difference. Everyone is friendly and we are all taught to work together as a team to achieve a common goal. The management here is above par and co-workers are all wonderful. Everyone is encouraged to motivate each other which goes a long way towards employee satisfaction.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
could be slow at times
Open Work Culture with excellent work life balance
Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PADecember 2, 2016
I have been working at UHG for some time. The work environment is excellent. It is a big company and not all departments have the same culture. The salary and benefits leave you wanting.
Great Experience
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 2, 2017
For me, I have had a great experience with UHC M/V. Good support from management. Good opportunities for learning in my field. Really enjoy the population I am able to serve.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Good pay. Good benefits
Cons
This program works on Dept of Defense contract. With loss of contract, loss of job.
Not good place
optum cob rep (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 24, 2016
The company looks good from outside but when you join its not what you thought,they hire alot of temps using recruiting agencies and so fire at will without consideration for peoples lifes,I saw alot of people get fired within a short span of time ,managers rule by intimidation if you disagree with them you get to go,no one is spared the trainers are not very good they train you as if you already know the job,metrics are hard to understand all you are to them a number nothing more as long as your numbers are not good no one cares ,no work life balance,most are afraid everyday cause anytime you can be fired,alot of favoritism goes on there in a nutshell not the best experience
Pros
not much
Cons
alot
Care Coordinator--coordinated services for vulnerable population
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSFebruary 1, 2017
I was a telecommuter and enjoyed working from my home. The benefits were quite good, the pay was very good. I didn't like the favoritism which occurred in my team, I'm not a "yes" person and speak my mind when I have concerned. The company was more focused on money versus providing services. I worked as a care coordinator for Intellectually Disabled clients/members, and I decided to leave when I was being told to see where I could cut services to save the state and company money. I ended up having to spend hours each day writing authorizations. I decided after years to leave.
Pros
Favoritism between teammates and manager. Manager lacked ethics.
Cons
Writing authorizations, lack of focus as a social worker
Unbelievably horrible
Autism Case Manager for TRICARE Contract (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2017
The case managers under the Tricare Autism contract were given caseloads of 250 which is 200 more than any known case management model. Additional tasks were added constantly and management often did not allow case managers for weeks at a time to take PTO they had already earned because they were behind schedule. The execution of the contract was poorly thought out and extremely disorganized. Problems were addressed only after they occurred. Consumers were always angry about the poor service they received. Management was constantly walking desk to desk handing out candy and even flowers and saying "You're so awesome!" thinking this was an adequate replacement for effective management and just treatment.
Pros
My co-workers were the absolute best. Outstanding comraderie!
Cons
Everything!
Excellent Advancement Opportunities
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 31, 2016
UnitedHealth Group supports career advancement as well as movement within the different entities within the organization.

Benefits are competitive in comparison to other managed care organizations.
Nice company to work for
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 24, 2017
Very good company to work for. Plenty of room for advancement. Large working environment with possibility of working from home within 6 months of employment. Month bonuses for reaching goals.
Pros
Pay and flexible hours
Cons
Cost of benefits
Audit
Internal Controls Consultant (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 29, 2017
Pros:
* Steady workload
* Good work/life balance

Cons:
* Seasonality of workload
* Large variation in management styles among different departments
Pros
* Steady workload * Good work/life balance
Cons
* Seasonality of workload * Large variation in management styles among different departments
Workplace with room for advancement
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 19, 2017
Professional, room for advancement. Great opportunity to bond with members, impact health staus. Good team spirit, much room for innovation.
Pros
room for advancement
benefits
Become a slave to the metrics!
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 9, 2017
Prepare yourself to be micromanaged to an Orwellian degree, enjoy the poor pay and limited opportunity for advancement. Welcome to the land of doublespeak!
Pros
Easy to get hired, pleasant co-workers
Cons
Poor pay, micromanagement, lack of opportunity for advancement
glad to have been able to work from home
Sr. TPA Pre Service Appeals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, OHDecember 30, 2016
was very happy to work from home, position not the best for me in terms of hours and ability to take accrued time off, did not appreciate benefits. very small department and could not get help I needed to be successful. was not able to take off accrued days if you were not completely caught up on work, but not allowed OT to get caught up and made to feel like you were putting others behind if you needed help. only a group of 10 people and in 6 mths I am the 3rd person to leave that department and I know another is leaving now.
Pros
working from home
Cons
set hours that could not change
Excellent opportunities for growth with very competitive salaries.
Healthcare Advocate (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLFebruary 10, 2017
Excellent opportunities for growth with very competitive salaries. Very nice place to work if one enjoys assisting elderly members/ community.
Pros
Community outreach
Cons
job security
Great people and culture values
Clinical Consultant/Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  TelecommuterAugust 25, 2016
The department I work in has amazing leaders who set the tone for all the employees.

Learn a lot about the business and project management. Work in the CBE area
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Salary increases and advancement -- large candidate pools.
Don't trust what they offer you at the beginning
Field Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 17, 2016
Got hired to be field service coordinator to work within 60 miles radius. They overstaffed where I lived, management made it mandatory to travel 5 hrs to and from from our community to help other areas that were understaffed "while they found" service coordinators for those areas. Just so happens that there is no job postings for those areas meaning they will make us travel and cover those areas indefinitely. UHC cares more about themselves and do not keep their word regarding their original offer. I wouldn't have taken this job if I would have known this was a possibility but of course, they wouldn't let us know! Regret ever starting to work here.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Poor, deceitful management
I really liked them
Health Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 20, 2017
Good work life balance, fair rules and very competetive pay. Nice ways to work yourself up within the industry. Fair company and good balance because of they nice time off they allow you.
Pros
Balance, pay, benefits
Cons
Crazy customers
Great entry level job
Provider Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MODecember 8, 2016
I really like working at UHC. It had a lot of benefits and there were many opportunities for advancement. It is also a very diverse workplace. I recommend anyone apply who is interested.
Pros
Free food, Events, PTO
Cons
Strict adherence/ Short Breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.