UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Not exactly OPTUMal
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 2, 2017
From lack of managerial leadership/experience to idiotic team policies, this left a sour taste for the entire UHG experience. Fresh ideas and implementation of efficiencies were not encouraged, which made no sense coming from healthcare technology company (Optum).
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, Policies, Wages
December 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Innovation is hugely important to UnitedHealth Group. With a company that's constantly growing, the technology, processes, etc. require continual evolvement. I am sorry to hear your experience didn't reflect that. I encourage you to share your concerns with HR Direct. You can reach them by calling 1-800-561-0861.

Leading health care provider
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20002December 2, 2017
United health is a platform that delivers powerful analytics in a way that is simple to consume, focuses on quality, and promotes transparency and alignment of physicians with patients, payers, and other clinicians. The primary users are nurses, care managers and back office personnel, where it receive files from Customers and load the data into OCS Database.
Fast pace environment
Medical Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 1, 2017
I am constantly busy at work, which I like. I split my day in two parts. Mornings I process pharmacy claims. In the afternoon I work Correspondence to various departments. It is fast paced & I have daily goals to meet in each area. Everyday is a learning experience and everyday I come across something new. We have had a large turn around in supervisors & in the 5 years that I have been there, our department has had 2 managers. Things change fast & rapidly & I have to be able to be flexible & adapt to the changes. United Health Care is a very giving company, encouraging social responsibility to those less fortunate.
The hardest part of my current job is that I do not feel secure. With the constant changes of merging companies, I feel that the type of claims I deal with may be taken off shore with in a year or so. I need stability & security. Currently positions in the company are few. The most enjoyable part of my job is make friends with new people, helping my co-workers. I have constant contact with co-workers in the Correspondence aspect of my job. There are lots of good, caring people in my department. It's not my wish to leave but I am being realistic and looking into the future.
Pros
Hours are great, people are good & benefit are OK.
Cons
IEX system for clocking in & out. it's challenging. Pay is low.
December 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience - it's very insightful! I would encourage you to keep open lines of communication with your managers and have honest conversations. It sounds like a great time for a development discussion and where you want to take your career.

Stressfull
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYDecember 1, 2017
Management does NOT support you or care about things happening in your personal life. Things always change in an incoherent manner. Typical call center environment.
December 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with management. High performance and change are most definitely a constant amidst a growing Fortune 6 company. Feel free to share your concerns with HR Direct. You can reach them by calling 1-800-561-0861.
Kristina Kelly - Talent Community Manger, UnitedHealth Group

Love this job
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 1, 2017
i love this company and the people who work here . It is an amazing environment full of people who want you to succeed and that is hard to find. My favorite part about this job is the culture they will literally give you the shirt off their back if you needed one.
December 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience! A strong culture attracts strong employee fits. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your career at UnitedHealth Group.

Prduction focused
Provider Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  telecomuteDecember 1, 2017
Although they say they are all about quality in your work they are really all about production and numbers. The managers are all about what there team numbers show. They do not care if production came about honestly or not as long as it look good on paper.
Pros
good benefit package
Cons
poor training production focused
December 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. High performance is definitely a core value of UnitedHealth Group, along with integrity, compassion, relationships, and innovation - as I'm sure you know as this is talked about quite often in and around the company. It makes for great talking points if you feel something is missing in your role. I would encourage you to share any concerns you might have with HR Direct. You can reach them by calling 1-800-561-0861.
Kristina Kelly -Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Productive Company
Lead Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CADecember 1, 2017
Very exciting place to work. Get culture. I learned many different techniques and management skills. There is room for growth and people are always willing to train you.
Nice place to work.
Utilization Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTDecember 1, 2017
I worked from home after about 6 months of working in the office. I was promoted within a year of hire. The pay was good and there was always overtime. However there were many changes, almost weekly. You were expected to be flexible and team work was encouraged, however there was minimal flexibility with employees. They also have a tracking app on your computer that reveals which websites you were on, how long were you idle for, how long you took breaks for, and who you are on the phone with. They used this data and compared it to your fellow peers. The supervisors were overworked and seemed to have meetings all day so if you needed help you most likely had to reach out to your peers. In some departments there was much negativity. However my department was very relaxing, you got positive as well as negative feedback. The insurance is also really bad. If you are a healthy person i is great because all preventative care is paid for at 100%, but if you had to see specialist or have a lot of sick visits you would have to meet your yearly deductible before they paid anything.
Pros
telecommute
Cons
9-5p, lack of flexibility
December 11, 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree that changes come frequently with such a large and growing company. I encourage you to share any concerns with HR Direct to help us continue to strive for betterment. You can reach them by calling 1-800-561-0861.

Just okay
Application Developer, .net/SQL Server 2008 (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 30, 2017
Company always talking about work life balance and how next year they are going to get back to a reasonable work life balance just as soon as the new project is completed. Guess what there is going to be another project next year.....
Not the best place to work for
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 30, 2017
The best thing about this place is their cafeteria. The turnover rate is horrendous. You are paid just enough to get by and the hours are horrible. I don't regret leaving this place.
Optum/UHG
Senior Client Manager, Optum (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2017
Optum/UHG is a great place to work. If starting out in a career there is a lot of room to grow. It is a very challenging environment at times, but a lot of opportunity for success.
Diverse organization, highly matrixed, face-paced environment
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  TNNovember 30, 2017
Diverse organization, highly matrixed, face-paced environment. There is a great variety of different units and I have worked in several. Emphasis on Member outcomes and making decisions based on data.
Pros
Telecommuted from home
Cons
work life balance
Ok Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PANovember 30, 2017
A typical day at work would be to come in and get to your desk and ready your self to answer phone calls. People there are friendly. The hardest part of the job would be upset callers.
Engaging workplace.
Braoker Newsletter Editor (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNNovember 30, 2017
Engaging work experience with a wide variety of subject matter experts which allowed me to enhance my expertise on health coverage issues and compliance regulations.
Pros
Good all around company with a famiy /person focus.
Cons
Very good company to work for
Clinical Quality Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNNovember 30, 2017
The team that I am working with is excellent. The company had clear vision and great leadership. The company value its employees. I have referred some of my friends to apply at UHG.
Na
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 30, 2017
A typical day at work consists of phone calls and speaking with providers to ensure that the daily tasks are completed//////////////////////////////////
Fast paced
Customer Service Representative/ Mail Order (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 29, 2017
Working for United Healthcare is good and ideal for people with flexible schedule who can work overtime and Holidays who like a faced paced call center environment who can work with little to no supervision.
Pros
Your own cubicle
Cons
all your calls, movements, actions are audio and videotaped
Novo Nordisk
West Area Director, Managed Markets Sales (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 29, 2017
Needs to divest. Leadership does not have enough experience. Restructuring seems to be part of a yearly occurrence with business rules unknown. Values seem to be slipping.
good work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXNovember 29, 2017
average working place, training was fine and it was typical customer service representative job with the same advantages than other places alike this company.
Poor
Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 29, 2017
Poor management and poor supervision. Favoritism and lack of career advancement. Very low training opportunities and lack of communication from management to other staff members.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.