UnitedHealth Group
1,824 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employer Reviews

Technical and productive work environment, with the opportunity for growth.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: on-site cafeteria, ability to grow & apply for different positions within the company, friendly co-workers.
Cons: micro-managing at times, no incentives, depth of being up-trained on new processes or new material.
- Setting up your work station, including all systems & tools to help you do your work efficiently, answering inbound calls to assist customer's in processing their orders, or answering questions.
- Healthcare information, such as the different types of insurance plans & which covers what, how to process order forms for diabetic testing supplies, what information is needed, & law regulations.
- Management were easy to get along, but not all were as personable as some were. Yet, they made sure work was being done.
- My co-workers were easy to get along with & friendly, even outside of work.
- The hardest part of the job was applying what was learned in training from the beginning.
- The enjoyable part of the job was learning from each other & the work environment.
Working with a core group odf dedicated and passionate workers
Certified Application Counselor (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: lunch meetings
Cons: long extended hours
sells, benefit reviews and marketing, home visits, presentation, networking with providers, senior center, managing a team of 6 workers, training, and customer service training.
Worst company ever in my career!
Pharmacy Clerk (Former Employee), Cypress, CAJanuary 25, 2015
Cons: too many to write here!
No one rewards hard work. Overtime never stops. Unprofessional managers and supervisors who don't know anything - includes the vice presidents who make the rules but have no idea how they should work in the dept! Fire people for no reason and the appeal process is a joke. No support from HR. All the good people find other jobs before they get fired and the ones left could care less. Its all about money and not the patients. Tried over 30 times to move up in the company and never got a chance - they "red flag" your file so you can't go any where else - over 5 years I tried! False info given at termination - lots of age discrimination here in Cypress. They don't even let you come back to the company as a "temp" ! Agencies tried to place me in other departments and always turned down for no reason. HR knows how to get around laws - can't see what is in your file or get paid the day you leave!! They don't care because they have the money to fight you and win. They deserve a less than zero overall rating.
2 out of 5 stars
Sr. Telesales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Fast pace environment, but the issue is simply a lack of job security, and declining moral.

Lower management were great noble people unlike upper management who's only concern is the bottom line period.

I do not regret working for this company simply because I meet some wonderful people who became long term friends.
representatives handle more than they are paid for but supervisors made it worth it
customer service representative (Former Employee), kingston nyJanuary 23, 2015
overall the management at my site is what made my job incredible.
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), LOs Angeles, CaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: geart group of people
Cons: no cons.
Shipping/Receiving, getting shipment ready for shipping, receiving packages from UPS, FedEx.
Learned necessary skills to perform my duties
Supervisor was very helpful in my training
Co-workers were delightful team to work with
The most enjoyable thing about working at United Health Group was the team work everyone displayed
Growing Organization
Provider Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Elkridge, MDJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: organizational stability
Cons: advancement
High Volume Workload
Poor work life balance
Non-flexible work environment
Inexperienced management on several levels
Under water culture does not match values
Helping others
Very challenging environment
Senior Consultant Data/Research Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: work at home
Cons: seem to be on 24x7
I work from home.

My typical day at work involves technically supporting our main Web-based subscription application for our clients. My department is a revenue-generating department and is very demanding of both my time (a lot of off-hours work) and effort. More specifically, I am the ETL SAS Lead for my team, often working closely with the Product Development Department team members.

The lower ratings are reflective of the fact that my department has been down two headcount for over two and a half years, and we have been down a third headcount for the past five months. Unfortunately, the strain is showing and although we have just hired three, new team members, my department has been immediately "slammed" in the new year. We need time to get the new members trained, and we do not have it.
Wonderful place to work
Escalation/ Case Manager (Current Employee), Allentown, PAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: vacation and sick time/hours
Cons: healthcare
Every day is something new and exciting
I've learned to be flexible, because things change and we have to change with them.
Management is very supportive with employees, both business and personal.
I love working with people who love their jobs.
The hardest part of my job is knowing that I can't help everyone
The most enjoyable part and when I'm able to help.
Production
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: working with customers meet their needs
Cons: needed a change in career path
Lot's of growth opportunity for growth I enjoyed working with the managers, the staff and the amount of history I learned while there
About Work Culture With My current Team
IT Data Analytics Analyst (Current Employee), Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: work culture
Cons: pay
I have been working with a great team from last couple of years and learned some many things which really boost up my technical and professional skills. I should say, this is one of my best place and team where am currently working with.

And coming to day to day, its more like unplanned work, as we don't know when we really need to stretch as we are part of Operations and Maintenance team.
UMR / UHC call center
Customer Service phone rep (claims & benefits) (Former Employee), Blue Ash, OHJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: can't think of any
Cons: micro-managing, management
I worked for this company over 5 years
I happened to be hired right after UHC bought UMR in Cincinnati. There were many changes being made and people were quitting and getting fired constantly. Lots of turnover at this company. Management is very very hateful and would add additional phonepath skillsets such as the spanish line to increase call time which makes it impossible to meet their 'numbers'. They would have meetings asking for our opinions on things and then fire the one person that speaks out. Just one excuse after another. There is very limited growth - not many promotions from within unless your one of 'pets'.
work is very hectic and completely disorganized
QA Analyst (Former Employee), philadelphiaJanuary 21, 2015
i would never prefer to work at a place like this basically for the fact that the process is never organized and the deadlines are untimely without proper manpower planning.
Work Culture
Senior SOA/BPM/OSB/OPA Developer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2015
Very professional, good learning exp. Management is very friendly and helpful, gives you the opportunity to prove yourself
poor work/life balance
Medicare Claims Adjustor (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: coworkers, telecommute
Cons: mandatory overtime, management, production based
constantly asked to do more with less time, continual mandatory 10 hours of overtime each week, poor management, high stress, only enjoyable part of the job was some of the coworkers
Overall Bad Experience
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), USAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: work / life balance
Cons: micro-management, management that doesn't have your back, poor benefits
If I could give management negative stars I would. Overall management style is extreme Micro Management. Add this to management who do not know how to communicate, or delegate properly.

Management will also throw you under a bus as your objectives don't really matter at all. (Meaning if you accomplish them very well , it doesn't matter - they will give you as poor a rating as they wish).

Culture of company is that it is very much stuck in their way, and are resistant to change.

Benefits aren't very competitive. 401k match is lower than most Fortune 100 companies. Health Insurance for a company in said industry is paltry at best (other companies not in industry have as competitive packages).

No real sign of advancement.
Fast-paced and friendly environment!!
Prescription Drug Plan Agent/ Customer Service (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: benefits and customer satisfaction!
A typical day at work would be filled with the client's satisfaction with the company. Time flies when you're attending to the customers needs. The staff was very friendly and relaxed.
rewarding job
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: high priced benefits in 2000
Great management company that cares about employees. THey value their employees.
place is ok to work
Web Administrator (Former Employee), CAJanuary 14, 2015
nice place to work and nice co-workers and ok with management
Unproductive management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Sugarland ,TexasJanuary 14, 2015
Cons: everything
they work you hard and never work with you when it comes to being sick or your child being sick . Cant make dr appointments etc very unreasonable place and environment to work in.

About UnitedHealth Group

When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours. We have modest goals: Improve the lives – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Photos