UnityPoint Health Employee Reviews

This was a very educational and fun place to work
Patient Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 18, 2017
I had learned a lot from my supervisors and I also got a chance to work with the new EPIC system and help build the billing system for the hospital. I also got to be a trainer in our department for the new EPIC billing system in the year 2003.
Pros
liberal time off
Stressful
Credit Balance Rep (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 9, 2017
Management is terrible. Don't care about employees. Just a number. They expect too much out their employees. Do not listen when there is concerns. Managers are fake.
good place to work
Cleaning Technician (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 4, 2017
fast paced at times. have a partner on my floor. when having discharges and having no one to help you when your partner has the day off. coworkers are friendly. Patients are friendly and are willing to let you in their rooms when they have to be cleaned.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Employee Health and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 3, 2017
Great place to work, upper management really transparent regarding company goals and they attempt to foster career development all the way around. Nationwide shortage for nurses hurts everyone but UnityPoint does there best to provide patients well trained/educated staff for patient care. Salary could be better overall but in comparison to other Iowa hospitals they are within range or better. Iowa in general has low healthcare pay for workers.
Pros
Atmosphere, people, management
Cons
not many
Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 27, 2017
Good place to work. Smart, energetic coworkers. No day is the same. Always learning. Helping others through difficult situations. Feel accomplished after each shift.
Benefits
Job duties
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 24, 2017
While at Meriter Hospital I moved from pots and pans washer to dish washer. I started at 11.14 and moved up to 14.00. I got to work in a environment of college students and people who made a career out of being a cook. I loved the environment and greatly enjoyed the benefits. I left to try to go to college because at the time I was only 18 and did not want to be a cook for the rest of my life. It was a great job at the time and honestly I would advise any high school student or even college student to apply.
Pros
free food
Cons
not many hours
Nice place to work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 24, 2017
A typical day at work could be either fast pace or slow pace. You never know what will come in the doors. I learned how to deal with certain people, Working with insurance. Management was okay but really needs improvement. Workplace culture was good, nice and always clean. The hardest part of the job would be seeing people hurt and in pain. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with other people, my co-workers.
Pros
coffee shop
Fast paced
ER RN (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 14, 2017
The life of an ED RN is definitely a fast paced environment. To work in this department requires self direction, initiative, and the respond well under pressure.
UnityPoint Health IT is not recommended
IT staff (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 24, 2017
For the size of company, the management within IT is very inexperienced.
Employee engagement system in place is words only ...
Staff are not empowered and typically overworked.
Pro's and Cons were even.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 14, 2017
I learned a lot about different types of people/diversity, the management depended on what department you were in, which I have had good and bad management. The hardest part of the job was management at my last position. If you weren't administration, doctor or nurse you weren't respected at all. My last position was amazing as far as the department itself was very passionate in what they do! The girls and physicians I worked with were great! If it weren't for the manager I would still be there, I didn't want to leave after being badgered the last two months I didn't feel it was worth the stress and I knew nothing would be done. That is something I had never experienced before and I didn't like it. I would say the most enjoyable part of my job was the patients, you really developed a relationship with almost everyone of them that is what made your day, they knew you as a person and not as the receptionist.
Pros
I was fortunate and was able to get off when needed for family needs/emergency's, I had very nice coworkers in the last department I was in, which makes a huge difference in your work day.
Cons
pay, managemanet, backstabbing, tension in the workplace
Such a mixed experience
HOSPITAL CHAPLAIN (Former Employee) –  Unity Point MeriterAugust 28, 2017
I ended up leaving Meriter because of my direct supervisor and unprofessional and unethical behavior. While my experience in my department was less than acceptable, I thoroughly enjoyed the larger Meriter organization! The nurses were amazing to coordinate care with! Under different management I would definitely consider going back to Unity Point Meriter.
Pros
Meals included, great work environment on the floors
Cons
Unethical supervisor in my case
Patient's servant
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILAugust 12, 2017
A very fast paced job, nurses I worked with are amazing and are helpful. Unfortunately the management is lacking, when things need to be addressed or fixed, nothing gets done. Too many budget cuts in the wrong areas and employees have to pick up the slack.
Health Unit Coordinator
Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 21, 2017
I handled multi-line phones for busy med/surg unit at a 400 bed facility. I assisted with all patient calls, scheduling appointments and surgeries. I assigned nurses to patients. I monitored and ordered supplies.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
very busy floor
1 year only
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 17, 2017
I worked here for only one year. I couldn't do it anymore. I didn't mind the job, I did not like that people I work with. No one can problem solve and management does nothing. Employees do whatever because they know management won't do anything. There are clinical staff that comes in at 6:30-7 am. There are no patients, why come in that early. Management does nothing. But yet they talk about budget. WELL HELLO. Staff needs to punch in when the clinics open for business from 0800-1700. Management has no IDEA what they are doing. OR They really don't care.

Management- take a look at your department. Budget is important for a business to move forward. It does not help that you have clinical staff triage from home. The triage person will call the clinical to ask about the fax. How does that work? Not very efficient now, is it? or A bunch of NURSES WHO DO NOTHING all day long. Employees who take longer breakers. Employees who are shopping online. Clinic is not busy, send people home. Train them elsewhere. Management needs to set it up. I couldn't work here anymore. NO change.
Cons
Management sucks!
Great company
AskHR Service Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 17, 2017
Great company and leadership. Work life balance is great.

Very open to process improvement ideas. Leadership is also willing to step in and help when needed.
Extremely unfair HR system
Patient access position (Former Employee) –  Patient access positionJuly 15, 2017
I made the decision not to accept ttwo positions because of their incompatibility for my interest, therefore they blocked me from two other positions that I was very interested in and the managers wanted to hire me.

I thought this was very unjust and unethical. Instead of being grateful that I didn't use them for six months and transfer it to a different position, I was penalized and blocked from two other positions that would've been a good fit, and managers who wanted to hire me!
Cons
Unfair and on ethical HR tactics.
Busy
Financial Assistance Processor 1 (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2017
The work environment tend to be busy, fast paced, and very challenging at times. I learned to take it one day a time, face difficult issue one at a time and do my best.
Pros
Fun activities once in a while
Cons
Half hour lunch break
Great provider and nursing staff
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 22, 2017
UnityPoint Health is a great place to work and grow. I have a learned a lot in what I do from people who have as much great skill set as I do and I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Discount Tickets, providers appreciation to staff
Unity Point is a good place to work.
Lead Cook (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 16, 2017
Unity point is a good place to work, the only downfall is the hours are kind of all over the place which makes it hard to have a predictable and stable life outside of work. One day I will work until 8pm and the next I would have to turn around and be there by 4am. That doesn't allow for much living outside of work and being exhausted on top of it.
Pros
Great Pay, PTO Time, Work Conditions are great
Cons
Scheduling issues, some lack in growth
Great place to work! High management turnover.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 3, 2017
I've really enjoyed working in the clinics, and have had the pleasure of working with quite a few passionate, dedicated, and wonderful people! Unfortunately there has been a lot of department manager turnover (In the process of hiring the 5th new manager in the 6 years I've been there). This has led to some stress on the part of some of the more "developed" staff members, as many managerial tasks trickled into their responsibility pool. Currently, there is also a lot of concern due to the UnityPoint Health and UW Health System Collaboration, and MANY providers have exited, leaving many staff members displaced. It's still been a wonderful place to work, and most people love their jobs and d their best, and there's not much more someone can ask for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnityPoint Health. Our community is ready to answer.