UnityPoint Health Employee Reviews

Fast pace environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILFebruary 11, 2017
This is a fast pace environment that is constantly changing. There is a possibility that you won't get off on your scheduled time off, depending on ongoing surgeries. Management is strong with an open door policy. Best part of the day is working with patients and the highly skilled employees. Hardest part of the job can be the intensity of the environment. There is a diverse culture. I learned a lot about how to improve my organizational and communication skills.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
short breaks
High Acuity Atmophere for the thrill seeker
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 7, 2017
Great group of coworkers with a great medical team. Had its ups and downs as all work places do. the high acuity and the nurse to patient ratio was often stretched to the limit which made me feel like my patients didn't get as much attention as needed or deserved. At times that was not a safe s.
Pros
a great place to learn and utilize your knowledge base
Cons
nurse to patient ratio was not safe for the patients
Would answer multiline phones for the hospital and doctors offices for 7.5 hours a day.
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 24, 2017
I enjoyed the public interaction and able to help people when they needed it. Management wasn't as helpful with the need that people were asking. Their answer was? " do we look like the phone book". They had been in service to long lost their focus what you are to do for the community.
Pros
coworkers for the most part
Nutrition Service Assistant
NSA (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 30, 2016
Coworkers call in all the time, so always a shortage of workers so very stressful days. PTO is okay, but good luck getting to use it since they are always short handed. Wages are not really competitive considering that you have to work every holiday since the hospital never closes. If you are a germaphobe this may not be the job for you since you go into patient rooms to get menu selections and deliver trays. Management gets stressed out and does NOT want to hear any complaints or ways to make improvements. Most enjoyable part of the job is clocking out to go home!
Pros
Paid time off (PTO)adds up quickly
Cons
Hard to use PTO, they always want you to work extra, Management
Best place to work
IT Customer Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaJanuary 8, 2017
I love everything about my job. The people are wonderful, the management is fair. The hours are very doable, and they are flexible, meaning management works with you to get you the schedule you desire. The benefits are the best I have ever seen. I love working here.
Pros
Every person working here is wonderful to work with
good learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  student nurse Unitypoint health Peoria ILDecember 21, 2016
At UnityPoint Health I had the pleasure to work with great nurses from different units.Great environment for learning. I was fortune to do my internship at the cardiac unit where I had great relationship with all the health care team there
Pros
great learning enviroment
Cons
nurses not staying long due to work overload
Environmental housekeeper
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work would involve me stocking my cart, getting the proper cleaning chemicals ready, and cleaning patient rooms and public areas. I also would restock linen, and handle waste management.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Lack of communication
Lots of passing the buck
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 9, 2016
When you have people who will perform their job, those people are just expected to do more. Employees who want to sluff off, or can't perform the job they were hired for, are not disciplined and get away with whatever they want. Management says it's not their problem to deal with it, but it's the employees who do perform that have to do more once again. That's poor management!
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Health insurance is expensive and not that good.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2016
Fast-paced environment. Great group of co-workers. Great boss. I love being part of an organization where we provide health care services for friends, families and our community. Being committed to providing high-quality, compassionate medical care.
fun workplace
Food And nutrition (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 16, 2017
Very productive and outgoing environment. Fun to work in. The people were amazing to work with. Our patients were enjoyable to serve. Meriter is amazing.
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
few hours no opportunities for full time position
Friendly staff
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 12, 2017
I worked as a CNA on the night shift for only 1 year during nursing school. It was a positive work environment with friendly, encouraging and helpful staff. I was not involved with managers much do to working only at night.
good place to work
Weekend ultrasound technologist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 2, 2016
good place to work with friendly atmosphere. In Madison community with great diverse environment and opportunities. Management seems out of touch with employees
Pros
great community to work in
Cons
management
Enjoyed working with the residents of LTC.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Grundy Center, IASeptember 27, 2016
This is truly the worsed company to ever work for!! I would sooner be poor and sell all my body parts than work for CEO Pam Delegardelle!!! She runs a nasty hospital where ever she go's and does not care at all about the wellfare of patients or employees. She is proud of how she treats employees like dirt. As she has said " all former coworkers have had a Pam party after she leaves because they hate me so much". Very poor manager and leader, rootless as they can come.
Do not work for her in Waterloo, Iowa or any where else!! I worked for her in Grundy Center, Iowa for over 9 years because I had a family to raise and she made every day nasty for me and all others in management!!
She created the most hated work place in Grundy County after the first CEO was so loved!! I really believe she only wants to be feared and not liked by coworkers!! That is her method of management. ROOTHLESS!!!!!
Stay Away!!!!!!!
Pros
Had some great coworkers
Cons
Everything else!!!!!
Great place to learn new skills
Instrument Technician (Current Employee) –  Peoria, IL 61636January 22, 2017
I have learned a lot during my employment at Unity Point. I feel like I really have an opportunity to grow within this company. I work with a group of great people who are very encouraging.
Emr
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IADecember 29, 2016
I was hired and trained as a billing specialist and preformed that job for many years, company switched to an electronic billing system and job was eliminated
Pros
I loved our patients
Cons
Co workers not performing to par
Great opportunity
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the smiling faces of each child and to assure the families that I would care for their child as if they were my own. This could lead to many challenges for me as every child is different and every day could lead to a surprise. My co-workers were awesome and supportive whenever you needed something, they were there for you. My days were long (4 10 hour days) many times with no break other than to run to the bathroom with little to no interaction with management unless something was needed. The teachers are often up in the air as to the plan of action which changes on an hourly basis many times.
Pros
supportive families, supportive co-workers, great benefits
Cons
short breaks, non supportive management
It is a lovely enviorment
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 8, 2016
Im able to run an average of 5 to 8 miles a day. The patients are lovely, for the most part. But the organization of the company is off. I can't imagine staying for a career.
Pros
exercise, and a friendly environment
Cons
disorganized
Great place to work.
Cat Scan Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJanuary 5, 2017
Loyalty by long term employees. Positive place to work. Short commute to Outpatient imaging center. Were very understanding when a family emergency occurred.
Fun enviroment, valued their employees!
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 19, 2017
worked for UPC, days were fast paced and management was great. answered a lot of phone calls as well as scheduling for doctors
Good environmental
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty laid back. Good team work. Management doesn't communicate well with staff. Hardest part of the job is when your short handed and having too many discharges. Most enjoyable part is all the perks you get working with this company.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnityPoint Health. Our community is ready to answer.