Univar USA Employee Reviews

Office setting, factory worker feel
AP Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 9, 2016
There is no room for career growth in the Seattle area since the headquarters moved a la Boeing to Chicago. In addition they have quietly let go of 40% of the workforce in restructuring to cut costs. This has been accelerated in the past 6 months due to the fall in crude oil prices which has hit corporate profits hard.
Pros
cheap health insurance for employees and good 401K match
Cons
expensive health care for dependents, no flexibility of schedule and no opportunity for advancement
Productive and relaxed work environment
Yard Specialist / MiniBulk Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2016
A typical day depends on your actual job title, but the co-workers are very knowledgeable and willing to help if needed. Management is very helpful, as well. The company revolves around chemical distribution and the chemical suits are not the most comfortable during the Texas summers. Univar is a great place to work.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Summer day in a chemical suit
Fun, supportive staff
Pricing & Procurement Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
Enjoyed the culture and employees. Management frequently backed-us up with issues, especially internally speaking.
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
low pay
great place to work in all areas, fun, and interesting
Material Handler / Forklift (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 18, 2016
A typical day consists in unloading and loading trailer with hazardous materials.
i learned about all types of hazardous materials.
management was nice they would take care of us and always stressed safety. my co-workers were very down to earth people, always helping and in safe matter getting the job done.
Univar
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 3, 2015
Pros:
Current CEO seems to have it together.
Good culture and team collaboration
Good benefits

Cons:
Everyone is in a cube so there is a major lack of confidentiality that goes on.
Communication seems to be lacking, but that happens at any organization
Great place to work - thoroughly enjoyed this job
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAOctober 23, 2015
Started working in customer service and transferred to a Buyer position. Loved every aspect of both jobs. Very busy customer service department and buying department. I learned the "raw ingredient" chemicals as I had worked in the "blending end" company. Management was wonderful and normally understanding of issues that affected my job, etc. My co-workers were friendships that I made that will never be forgotten - super great people. There were really no "hardest part" of the job...the jobs were sometimes difficult, but I got through it all and sometimes had to ask for assistance from supervisor. Enjoyed each and every part of both jobs held with this company.
Pros
Wonderful people from co-workers to management
Cons
No cons
Nice place to work
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAApril 26, 2016
Good job work and life balance, great group on people, not very strong training. Very flexible work environment get to work independently with no micro management.
Stay away
Inside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAJanuary 31, 2015
If you like to be micromanaged to the point of your sales manager picking up your keyboard and tells you what to type and say to the customer then Univar is the place for you. I will never miss this young unprofessional lack of hygiene manager. HR and DB are a joke. This place is a disaster even know they acquired other companies. Lack of leadership from the top which I understand they have cleaned house now in morrisville which should happened years ago.
Pros
salary
Cons
micromanaged
great benefits management very hostile
material handler/ relief driver (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2013
Tough company to work for but great financial and benefit rewards, Branch manager and supervisors are very hostile and retaliating if you use your sick time, you loose your overtime. Other employees ie drivers and tank farm workers are like working in an office with a bunch of women(no offense to women meant ) a lot of gossip and jealousy. If one driver gets more over time then the other guy then there becomes a lot of talking behind backs very childish atmosphere and to top it off you have supervisors and branch ops manager who thinks this is his world and no one else s and often disciplines outside of company policy's. while it is a dangerous atmosphere to be working with hazardous chemicals , there is surprisingly drug use among some employees that everyone knows about but everyone is afraid to bring out in the open for fear of retaliation. Management involvement in covering up illegal use of prescription drug abuse among there own. Very dangerous situation.
Pros
great starting wages and benefits
Cons
alot of drama and hostility from management.
univar
Chemical Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 12, 2016
was a great place to work for times have changed so has the company every year it seemed that the company was downsizing so there for we was always loosing co workers. no room for advancements
Branch Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Excellent company to be a part of. Strong work environments and tremendous amounts of support from coworkers. Management was almost always helpful and knowledgeable on what they were managing over.
Obtained great Skills
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City UtahMarch 8, 2013
This job was great in the sense that it taught me so much. I was able to really broaden my horizans as an Administrative Assistant. Was about to learn how to use Excel, MS Office, and actually had the opportunity to learn more about chemicals and take orders. My hardest part of the day there was dealing with a few co-workers. There was a lot of negativity and gossiping at the office. Most enjoyable part was learning skills I knew I wanted so I could advance to a better assistant job.
Pros
great benifits, and a great learning experience
Cons
managment, and negative people
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2015
It was very fast pace,fun and I love my co woker.
It was great company to work for,the company treated its emplyee good.
We got bonus once a year along with a raise.
It gets hot wearing that gear but thats part of the job.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Fun Place to work
Human Resource Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Great work life balance, and the compensation is great compared to other companies in the area! Great managment team, and great place for career advancement!
Pros
culture
Lack of Direction and Commitment
Vector Industry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 14, 2012
Univar is a very large distributor of specialty chemicals. As is often the case, existing management is clueless about how to handle new markets. Despite hiring myself and several other experienced colleagues specifically for growing our market, our suggestions fell on deaf ears and resources from senior management are virtually nonexistent.
Pros
decent salary and benefits
Cons
peter principle is alive and well in mid-management.
Fun place to work.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 23, 2016
Enjoyed the downtown location. Enjoyed the fun atmosphere. Worked with smart, talented, energized fun people. Really liked our "Bagel Tuesday's".
Pros
Free Bagels
Cons
No amusement parks in Seattle
good company terrible management
Analyst/ Administration (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 13, 2015
I enjoyed my job at Univar, however, they made it difficult to do a good job on anything. Making general decisions were almost impossible for management to do. Even if a decision was made it would change over and over.

Things are not done in your typical fashion as far as management does not separate personal from work when it comes to their friends therefore, there is no confidentiality and there is often very unfair and partial judgement being used to run business, solve problems, ect. It honestly effects the all around attitude, commitment and moral of the other employees.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management cannot separate work from personal business
Work every day , good pay ,benifits are real good ,tough place to work management is really hard to deal with best off to keep to your self
Chemical bulk driver (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 29, 2012
univar usa is a secure job, good company, with great benifits horriable management
Pros
good money and benifits, plenty of over time
Cons
inconsistant schedule told that we are owned for 14 hrs. a day
People do not matter anymore
Operations (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesFebruary 15, 2015
What once was a great company, fueled by workers who took pride in what they did on a daily basis, has been reduced to a company who's main goal is to prepare for an IPO. This goal has resulted in the company getting rid of long term, experience employees, and bringing in people without industry experience, affecting morale. They are now taking big losses from their competitors, and I do not see the trend slowing down. There are certain individuals in higher management positions who act unethically, when it comes to personnel issues, and pass it down to subordinates to handle.
They should get to know the people that work under them, and not make decisions based on perceptions.
Pros
people who care about the company and work hard everyday.
Cons
upper operations management has questionable morals and ethics.
Hard work and must be outside in all weather conditions
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, MOJune 25, 2014
Loading and unloading rail-cars,tank trucks,and van trailers.
very safety oriented
Team work is very important and helpful.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
no advancement, benefits are not very good.