UNIVAR Employee Reviews in United States

No work/life balance, systems not efficient
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMay 11, 2016
Unrealistic expectations on project timelines to complete and then they get installed with half the original deliverables. Departments are only looking out for themselves and don't think about the downstream impact. Consequently, they have multiple systems that only do part of the work and don't communicate with each other efficiently.
Only worked there a week.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendale, OHMarch 23, 2016
I only worked at Univar for a week as a quality control technician. I was brought in for a working interview from a temp agency. They wanted to keep me on hand as a back up but I needed full time work. I enjoyed my experience.
Outside Sales Representative for a highly technical Sales company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILMarch 4, 2016
Was able to take advantage of excellent sales training opportunity, I was hired as the Regional Sales trainee and under the direct supervision of the successful Regional Sales Manager. I went through a six month rotation at Univar that included time in Purchasing, Operations, Accounting, Customer Service, and finally the Sales Department. I was hired upon completion by the Chicago area district Sales Manager. I learned the importance of customer service through following up with any customer inquires (that could be highly technical) in a timely basis. All Sales Rep.’s were expected to visit our customers or prospect for new customers four days a week, with Monday set aside for coming into the office for training or office duties. I had the smallest territory, and focused on increasing sales to existing customers along with prospecting for additional business. I was successful in bringing in new customers and as a result my territory was expanded into western Iowa and Southern Illinois were we had no existing customers or presence. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a sales cycle with a brand new customer.
Pros
Able to meet with new and interesting people every day
Cons
No background in chemistry which forced me work very hard for technical customer inquiries
Not organized and poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2016
Very poor management skills practiced here. People leave everyday and every week there is someone new. Way too many meetings, not allowing to finish work. Reprimanded for not finishing work. Some co-workers are non professional and over step boundaries. Enjoyable part would be, learning more and more about safety and hazardous material.( I.E) Pay is good but very disorganized. Management style is a dictatorship, versus fostering an environment for creativity.Too many changes, no stability, or clear cut focus. Unrealistic expectations given the market conditions.
Not very strategically focused
Product Director (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Piir
Iperations (Current Employee) –  AZDecember 18, 2015
Management is poorly trained, company takes advantage of employees. Need to work overtime, theft is constant. Rools disappear, chemicals etc.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Poor working conditions
Sold Industrial Chemicals
Account Representative - Bi Lingual (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2015
Was on phone and emails back and forth with customers.
Sold and needed to know the MSDS on some chemicals. Also helped out with transulating in the will call shipping dept.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Travel
This company is terrible run
supply planner (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 10, 2015
They hire inexperienced young college grads and wonder why their company operations need so much improvement. They have the person share and office with a manager to look over their shoulder as they work vs hiring experienced supply chain or operation professionals just to aquire cheap labor . they dont want to operate better they want the old fossils to say getting pay checks and not enhance the future of the company with new knowledge .
Pros
Cons
weak leadership
Technology is very old and hard to navigate
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 2, 2015
If you are not from a Distribution/ Warehouse Industry very hard to impossible to transition. No Training program to learn your job if you are from the ouside
Pros
Salary
Cons
Technology has not advanced with time/ to many steps to do one task
horrible no communication,respect upper management is a bunch of liars
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 21, 2015
great company but management is so out of touch with their people pay raises bonuses is horrible for what we do. buddy buddy system is in place as well.
Pros
overtime
Cons
management is horrible clueless about transportation period

Want to know more about UNIVAR?

Ask a question
Plodding and directionless
VP Finance (Former Employee) –  Redmond WAAugust 19, 2015
If ever there was a company that tried to get better by simply whipping employees with "harder, faster" this is it. Management and organizational structure is constantly in motion. There is no focus on processes and data/metrics are difficult to get because of the arcane computer systems
Pros
Cons
Many
Excellent place to work
Admin., /Receptionist/Mailroom (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 9, 2015
Very professional company to work for with a good work/life balance. I am compensated well and the benefits are excellent. They hire good people and pay them well because they want them to stay.
No Employee Support
Chemcare Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2015
Non-Exp Management
Work overload with no help
No Employee support
Great co-workers
Employees never appreciated for their hard work
Independence, flexibility of schedule, good peers
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 1, 2015
Traveled five state area for the company. Called on a wide variety of contacts. Learned a great deal of technical expertise while there. Enjoyed most co-workers and my immediate managers were very good to work for. The hardest part of the job was learning all the technical jargon needed. The most enjoyable was winning opportunities and working with my peers when needed.
Working with Univar has been memorable and fascinating.
Data Entry/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLMay 27, 2015
I begin my day by coming into the office and preparing the orders that need to be processed and making sure all phone calls are handle correctly, processing mail, faxing, scanning and emailed.

I was employed for this Temporary position and for the short time that I was there, I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise.

Management was very attentive and helpful when needed. Awesome place to work as well as great time with co-workers their very professional and always making sure your are doing ok and encouraging me to learn more. I hate to leave my job without finishing any issues. Getting to know everyone on a daily basis.
A great place to work now there is new management.G reat benefits great equipment to work long tram its just a great place to work.
Truck Driver Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2015
A great place to work now there is new management.Great benefits great equipment to work long tram its just a great place to work.
Pros
everything was great
Cons
everything was great
Univar
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 23, 2015
Nice people but many experienced people have left the company in recent years.

Lot of new young employees that lack experience.

The account executive position now demands much computer work after hours.

Developing new customers is the most enjoyable part of my position.

Univar is a good company but has taken on more of a producer's attitude in recent years.
Pros
company car
Cons
computer work
Oil and Gas production support...
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 15, 2015
Load/unload chemicals for oil/gas production customer, learned about oil and gas production methods, relatively easy "job" as far as actual tasks.

Management doesn't consider ideas from Material Handlers.

Co-workers are great guys, who I work well with and relate to well.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork amongst most of my co-workers and working with them.
Pros
learn something new (oil and gas), occasional free lunches, benefits start soon
Cons
employee cost of healthcare, some recent instances of management not following through w/what they say
Repack operator (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAFebruary 11, 2015
A good place to work,with a family to feel with the staff.I enjoyed the fact that they had a party celebrating the holidays.Once a month we would shut down and have a safety day.Safety was their number one concern
plenty of work to do
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMDecember 13, 2014
This company is a new company. There are only a few people that work there; therefore a lot is asked of the employee, as far as work load, and over time.