UNIVAR Employee Reviews

Univar - Not Employee Oriented
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  NYJanuary 19, 2017
Sales reps are not valued. Compensation plans change throughout the course of the year and people get paid short of what they are promised if the company overall does not perform as hoped.

Things may change with new leadership in place.
Good company with a fast pace industry.
Operations Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waxahachie, TxOctober 27, 2016
Univar is a highly competitive company in a cut throat industry that is focused on customer case, product quality, and above all else they value the safety of there employees.
overall a good place w good benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 8, 2016
Overall, a good place to work. They offer good benefits. I was able to keep a somewhat flexible schedule so that was a plus.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
I found it impossible move up when the position was available
Outside Sales
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2016
Great customers, good colleagues, awesome benefits, nice commission structure. I enjoyed working for Univar, they are the largest chemical distributor in the world. I was successful at meeting all of my requirements and quotas. The year 2015 was at 180%.
a joke of a place to work for
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 11, 2017
on call for the first 90 days. usually got called in when it was bad weather and the union guys did not want to work. very lazy
Pros
Cons
everything
Not organized and poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2016
Very poor management skills practiced here. People leave everyday and every week there is someone new. Way too many meetings, not allowing to finish work. Reprimanded for not finishing work. Some co-workers are non professional and over step boundaries. Enjoyable part would be, learning more and more about safety and hazardous material.( I.E) Pay is good but very disorganized. Management style is a dictatorship, versus fostering an environment for creativity.Too many changes, no stability, or clear cut focus. Unrealistic expectations given the market conditions.
univar experience
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 23, 2014
when i was hired there i was solicited from another job because of my work ethic determination and constant thirst for knowledge but 3 months after being there my hiring manager got promoted and another manager moved in his place in an attempt to clean house thats quoted from his boss when he informed us that in a meeting it soon got to where they were trying get rid of everyone and everyone was just trying to save there jobs and the more people they fired they just wouldn't hire more just make us work harder this is a chemical company that is supposed to hold safety in the highest standard and they had me alone working 3 jobs 14 hour days 5 days awake and u were expected to do it safe needless to say things just got worse not a decent company to work for
Pros
the company and the people i worked closely with i enjoyed very much
Cons
management was unsafe, and not very intelligent in planning or decision making, at one point the warehouse was run like a chicken with its head cut off
horrible no communication,respect upper management is a bunch of liars
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 21, 2015
great company but management is so out of touch with their people pay raises bonuses is horrible for what we do. buddy buddy system is in place as well.
Pros
overtime
Cons
management is horrible clueless about transportation period
Very fun place to work till management decides to balance their budget
Lead Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZMay 11, 2016
I worked almost 12 years with flawless work and spotless reviews. All of the sudden my job description changed from being the best to being the meanest working manager. Cut to the chase and I'm let go with a 2 week severance package and a pat on the back. Definite favoritism among the top managers. Overall the company is not a very friendly place to work
No work/life balance, systems not efficient
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILMay 11, 2016
Unrealistic expectations on project timelines to complete and then they get installed with half the original deliverables. Departments are only looking out for themselves and don't think about the downstream impact. Consequently, they have multiple systems that only do part of the work and don't communicate with each other efficiently.
Oil and Gas production support...
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 15, 2015
Load/unload chemicals for oil/gas production customer, learned about oil and gas production methods, relatively easy "job" as far as actual tasks.

Management doesn't consider ideas from Material Handlers.

Co-workers are great guys, who I work well with and relate to well.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork amongst most of my co-workers and working with them.
Pros
Learn something new (oil and gas), occasional free lunches, benefits start soon
Cons
Employee cost of healthcare, some recent instances of management not following through w/what they say
Excellent place to work
Admin., /Receptionist/Mailroom (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 9, 2015
Very professional company to work for with a good work/life balance. I am compensated well and the benefits are excellent. They hire good people and pay them well because they want them to stay.
A great place to work now there is new management.G reat benefits great equipment to work long tram its just a great place to work.
Truck Driver Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2015
A great place to work now there is new management.Great benefits great equipment to work long tram its just a great place to work.
Pros
everything was great
Cons
everything was great
Not very strategically focused
Product Director (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Only worked there a week.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendale, OHMarch 23, 2016
I only worked at Univar for a week as a quality control technician. I was brought in for a working interview from a temp agency. They wanted to keep me on hand as a back up but I needed full time work. I enjoyed my experience.
Intense and high volume work areas.
Tank Farm Lead (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 25, 2014
I work an early shift 4:30am to 1pm Monday through Friday.
My 8+hrs of work everyday consist of scheduling inbound and outbound chemical loads in our facility.
I'm also in charge of scheduling tasks, loading offloading trucks, packaging drums and totes and blending for 7 guys in my chemical tank farm. We have a corrosive and solvent side tank farms with over 60 storage tanks that I inventory monthly. I work with BNSF weekly to switch in and out chemical rail cars of our 29 spot rail spur.
My Supervisor and I hold a safety share meeting everyday in the beginning of the shift to talk and share about current or near-misses with our tank farm guys. We have a great safety culture. I learn something new everyday, could be on the computer or just how to approach different scenarios with my employees.
I'd say the hardest part of my job is trying to fulfill every bodies needs daily; salesman, customers, bosses, employees, vendors etc, all in my schedule at once to keep them happy. And everyday I seem to do my job the most safe, productive and efficient way I can to get it done right which is the most enjoyable part of my day.
Pros
Great benefits and good steady work.
Cons
401K got taken away. Very dangerous environment to work in but I love it.
Working with Univar has been memorable and fascinating.
Data Entry/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLMay 27, 2015
I begin my day by coming into the office and preparing the orders that need to be processed and making sure all phone calls are handle correctly, processing mail, faxing, scanning and emailed.

I was employed for this Temporary position and for the short time that I was there, I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise.

Management was very attentive and helpful when needed. Awesome place to work as well as great time with co-workers their very professional and always making sure your are doing ok and encouraging me to learn more. I hate to leave my job without finishing any issues. Getting to know everyone on a daily basis.
Technology is very old and hard to navigate
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 2, 2015
If you are not from a Distribution/ Warehouse Industry very hard to impossible to transition. No Training program to learn your job if you are from the ouside
Pros
Salary
Cons
Technology has not advanced with time/ to many steps to do one task
Outside Sales Representative for a highly technical Sales company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILMarch 4, 2016
Was able to take advantage of excellent sales training opportunity, I was hired as the Regional Sales trainee and under the direct supervision of the successful Regional Sales Manager. I went through a six month rotation at Univar that included time in Purchasing, Operations, Accounting, Customer Service, and finally the Sales Department. I was hired upon completion by the Chicago area district Sales Manager. I learned the importance of customer service through following up with any customer inquires (that could be highly technical) in a timely basis. All Sales Rep.’s were expected to visit our customers or prospect for new customers four days a week, with Monday set aside for coming into the office for training or office duties. I had the smallest territory, and focused on increasing sales to existing customers along with prospecting for additional business. I was successful in bringing in new customers and as a result my territory was expanded into western Iowa and Southern Illinois were we had no existing customers or presence. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing a sales cycle with a brand new customer.
Pros
Able to meet with new and interesting people every day
Cons
No background in chemistry which forced me work very hard for technical customer inquiries
Piir
Iperations (Current Employee) –  AZDecember 18, 2015
Management is poorly trained, company takes advantage of employees. Need to work overtime, theft is constant. Rools disappear, chemicals etc.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Poor working conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVAR. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6