Universal American Employee Reviews

Management is inexperienced and unprofessional
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 26, 2016
It's a company that does not respect the people that are doing the work. The worst part of the job was the constant micromanagement. Compensation and benefits are a joke. I would not recommend this company if you are looking for a professional environment that promotes growth.
Pros
Mileage is reimbursed
Agent Services Representative
Agent Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32504March 1, 2017
My typical day as an Agent Services Representative was fast paste and busy. I gained knowledge about medical and life insurance. I also gained customer service experience via inbound calls.
Pros
Career Advancement
Horrible Company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2016
Upper management is horrible. Turnover rate is horrible. Employee morale is horrible. The benefits are horrible. HR is horrible. My experience here is horrible.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Upper management, high turn over rate, benefits
Membership Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2017
• Ensures staff is educated on county charity programs and able to answer question and direct inquiries.
• Ensures monthly goals are met each month. Manages and oversees facility maintenance and supplies
• Manages appropriate staff coverage at all assigned locations on a daily basis
• Ensures staff has appropriate work tools to succeed and produce high productivity results
• Attend all required governmental and District seminars and ensures all staff attend District and outside training classes pertinent to job functions.
• Attends educational in service and training sessions including JCAHO requirements. Recommends solutions and implements necessary procedural changes to resolve any problems.
• Assists in department budgets by controlling labor and non-labor costs, fulfilling cash collection targets, and reporting and correcting variances. Hires, transfers, promote, and terminate staff as necessary.
• Attends seminars, conferences, and meetings as necessary and interfaces with all levels of personnel Manages and meets objective and quantitative goals that align with the strategy, mission and vision of company
Educates and develops staff, creates evaluation and standards measurements, and completes annual reviews.
Very productive and an excellent professional work experience
Implementation and Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2016
At Universal American, I was able to excercise my full management experience by leading teams in from different departments, from Analytics to Marketing, Legal and Compliance. The work environment provided a very strong opportunity for Provider (Physician) relationships and management.
Pros
Excellent work place to excell at provider relations.
Cons
Management Culture a bit different.
If you like Roller Coasters you will like working for UA
Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2012
Universal American is a very entrepreneurial organization. Offering a diverse selection of opportunities and benefits. If you enjoy working in a fast paced, ever changing goals and direction you will thrive. UA offer annual salary compensation raises but the are often disappointing. I advance in my role there several times, and was compensated for each change in responsibilities. I enjoyed working with most of the administrative staff and some of executive leadership. There was a tremendous amount of personal agenda issues and empire building with Senior management. A lot of senior level turn over, But you can be assured there is a good meal catered somewhere every week there.
Pros
free parking, clean work place
Cons
benefit costs go up 20% a year, small raises, political environment
Factory like environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2016
Treat you like day care. No cell phone and no phone calls on business line, so not a place to work if you have children or family as they cannot contact you in the event of an emergency Office reeks of smoke as all managers do is smoke all day.
Pros
Helping members
Cons
Strict on time costly insurance poor life work balance
high turn over, inconsistent managerial goals/procedures
Case Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2016
The IT system in the company is terrible, which causes inefficiency and ineffectiveness, never completely set up to work remotely, work cell phone didn’t work more than it worked, usually end up having to use personal cell; probably used personal phone 70% of the time.

High Turn over;

Management is inconsistent, obvious power struggles in management staff, left employees wondering who they really reported to and who they should take assignments from. Written work flow was incomplete…told you what policy to follow but did not tell you how to finish assignment so assignments could remain open even though you thought they were complete... and for another manager they would have been considered complete. it just depended on who was "in charge" that day and what "they" wanted assignment completed like

Management would put down other managers in front of employees.

Had to learn to look like I was busy. I was in a new program and there were times I was not as busy as other times (often worked 60+ hours a week because of travel but other times worked 35 hours a week...not counting documentation time) they would try to make me help in another department even though I still needed to do my documentation....had a manager ask me why I had not done my documentation after I got off....I had already put in 12 hours that day and I didn't get paid OT nor did I get comp. time

Average health insurance but be careful....the enrollment date will pass without you being notified and then you can't get insurance.

Short lunch periods, no scheduled breaks ; A lot, and
  more... I do mean a LOT of Office politics !  less
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
unclear policies
Flexible work environment
Registered Nurse-Telephonic Case Management (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 20, 2015
As a nurse case manager I get to telelphonically help facilitate care for a population in need of care. I have a great manager who allows her team to collaborate and use our creativity to reach this population in need.
Pros
I have a great manager
Cons
Benefits are terrible
dont do it
Disease Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORJuly 8, 2015
Awful place to work. The best part was other employees who were all very enjoyable to work with. But management was inconsistent, benefits were poor and there was no chance for advancement.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
poor management, inconsistency, unstable environment
Friendly workplace
Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2015
• Ensure accurate validation of medical and prescription drug benefits
• Responsible for the execution of test sheets to ensure accurate representation of member benefits
• Prepare, review, update, and monitor Standard Operating Procedures, with input from SMEs, to ensure proper process documentation, as compliance with CMS regulations
• Received Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification
Employees are great but management has alot to be desired.
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 13, 2014
Universal American makes changes daily with no real direction. Management needs training on how to treat their employees. Constant bullying or discrimination from lower management. The less you work the higher you go in the company. Benefits have been cut recently. Morale is low as there are constant layoffs with more to come.
Cons
I felt Universal American had much to offer their employees. I was very a very happy and content employee until budget cuts.
Telephonic Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 8, 2013
Universal American offers great benefits and orients their employees with care. It was such a surpise that 3 months into my employment I was informed my position along with 15 other Telephonic nurses were going to have their positions removed.
Benefits
Cons
Attendance policy was severe.
Solid company with decent benefits
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLFebruary 28, 2014
Group worked together to meet the demands of the job. Many workers have been there for many years but changes in healthcare have resulted in layoffs and salary freezes. Not much room for advancement.
Pros
family balanced environment decent benefits
Cons
Tough to advance and company may be on the decline.
Not a very good company to work for.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2016
Environment very stressful.
Micromanagement.
Manager's treat you like you are in Elementary School.
Very strict with Time/Attendance - unreasonable even when provided with proof of hospitalization and/or Med Excuse.
Short staffed - Unreasonable dead lines.
Negative work environment
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2015
The IT system in the company is terrible, which causes the inefficiency and ineffectiveness. The Medical Insurance and the Dental Insurance are very bad, you still have to pay a lot after you pay the monthly insurance. The management in Finance is not nice to the employees, the new employees will not receive enough training but has to deliver high quality work to the management. In addition, the manager plays favoritism in the group. To the employees she dislikes, she is negative on the employee's improvement and keeps being nit-picky on the employee's performance. To the employees she likes, she covers one's mistakes and downplays the mistakes the employee makes. Her abusing behavior caused the employee picked on lack of sleep and burdened with a lot of stress and depression. Very bad experience...
Cons
Bad medical insurance coverage, inefficiency, a lot of manual work due to the old system
Not So Bad
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2015
The benefits are not the greatest and very expensive. Good pay for your experience, though not always equal. Overall it is an OK place to work.
Seasonal Position
Medical Claims Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2014
My experience with Universal American has been rewarding with providing me the knowledge and hands-on training of multiple EHR/EMR programs
Pros
The diverse environment
Cons
Not providing medical benefits to the employees
The time I spent there
Telecommunicator/Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PASeptember 28, 2014
I had met a lot of good and professional people. So glad I spent the time that I had with these people
Pros
professionalism and compensation in pay
Cons
Laid off
Awful
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxMay 29, 2014
This company sucks...I'm surprised they haven't gotten shut down. Management clique up and cut you down to guard the group they spend excessive personal time together and hardly seem qualified. You could be here today and gone tomorrow because turnover is high. Overtime is excessive and they mistreat you if you decline it. Always understaffed. Despite all the listings for job openings trust me its a front they aren't interested and you'll never be qualified seems like they were always hiring for the same thing and your chances are not better as an employee, there is no advancement they prefer to hire someone else. They use temp staffing for emergencies and treat temps better than permanent employees. They don't support students. I had to quit, I was on my way to death by stress..
Pros
They aren't strict about phone calls, smoke breaks etc free food. Anything to keep you here until they no longer need you.
Cons
Dead end job, hazardous to your health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal American. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8