Universal American Employee Reviews

Great
Project Manager (Technical and Business) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Great place to work at Universal American. I do not have any complaints. I worked with a fantastic boss. I love being able to work less than 60 hours per week.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
Great work environment, friendly co-workers
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2017
I am always learning something new! One of the reasons I love this job/company. Very flexible. Managers are very understanding and very helpful. We are all a team! Most of the time we work independently. Such a wonderful company to work for! The company is always trying to better itself and is always trying to let us know we are doing a good job. Benefits are great!! Managers are always training us but always try to make it fun! Room for growth and is a very stable job! I don't plan on leaving this company anytime soon!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
sitting for long periods
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2017
The position was challenging; There were always projects to work on; Good team work environment; It sometimes required self-motivating and analytical mindset.
Pros
Good benefis
Cons
Work load fluctuated during the year; sometimes slow sometimes overwhelming
Heritage Cost Containment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2017
This was a great company to work for. Very nice people and a great training crew. Production teams work together to accomplish set goals each month. Clean environment.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Overtime is required.
Disorganized managers
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
Very disorganized most of the time. Hired as telephonic case manager. Case of constant changing of assignment and duties. hired for one job and then changed around to different positions 3 times in 6 months
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Disorganized
Missed Opportunities
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2017
No advancement opportunities, weak leadership, no job acknowledgement/no credit given where credit is due, close-minded departmental leadership, silo work
Fast paced entrepreneurial growth environment
Director of Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 23, 2017
I learned a great deal working at APS Healthcare which was purchased by Universal American which was recently purchased by WellCare. I had an opportunity to build a team and develop learning and development solutions for associates and leaders while also being responsible for performance management and new hire onboarding.
productive
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2017
A typical day at work at the company was very busy and I was very productive dealing the customers. I learned how to processed member enrollment and change forms. Management team was great and the work environment was very nice.
Universal American
Provider Advocate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 18, 2017
The company was great although the staffing process could be improved. Enjoyed the year and learned a lot about medicare advantage and the importance of fee for service.
Health Services Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2017
This company provides great benefits with job flexibility. The workplace is very friendly and safe. I would recommend this work place for self-starters that do well with working independently.

Want to know more about Universal American?

Ask a question
Micro Management
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2017
If you're looking for a place were you feel like you're in jail then this is the place for you. My manager is horrible!! She's In her 60's so she has a VERY OLD fashion way of managing compared to younger managers. She's so forgetful and hates to be wrong. Nothing there is consistent I have NEVER worked for a more unorganized company before. 401k sucks benefits are high!! I just show up for a check and go home THATS IT!!! Looking for a new job EVERYDAY!!!! Every department is different
Pros
Cons
Management Micro Management
Inconsistent management
In Operations (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2017
Company now under new management. Time will tell if it gets any better but currently does not look like it. Wellcare people seem unconcerned and don't want to include Universal American people in the integration process. Their way or the highway.
Company Closed
RN Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteMay 16, 2017
Truly enjoyable RN job with the ability to work from home, with travel required weekly. The company ran into a financial hardship, and without warning fifteen nurses were called and let go. The worst part is that it was immediate release. I do not approve of how the company handled the situation.
Good place to work on your own
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXApril 3, 2017
You are your own boss to a certain extent. What can possibly wrong with that? Nothing, it's a beautiful thing. Get your money! So that is all there is to that.
Agent Services Representative
Agent Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32504March 1, 2017
My typical day as an Agent Services Representative was fast paste and busy. I gained knowledge about medical and life insurance. I also gained customer service experience via inbound calls.
Pros
Career Advancement
Membership Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2017
• Ensures staff is educated on county charity programs and able to answer question and direct inquiries.
• Ensures monthly goals are met each month. Manages and oversees facility maintenance and supplies
• Manages appropriate staff coverage at all assigned locations on a daily basis
• Ensures staff has appropriate work tools to succeed and produce high productivity results
• Attend all required governmental and District seminars and ensures all staff attend District and outside training classes pertinent to job functions.
• Attends educational in service and training sessions including JCAHO requirements. Recommends solutions and implements necessary procedural changes to resolve any problems.
• Assists in department budgets by controlling labor and non-labor costs, fulfilling cash collection targets, and reporting and correcting variances. Hires, transfers, promote, and terminate staff as necessary.
• Attends seminars, conferences, and meetings as necessary and interfaces with all levels of personnel Manages and meets objective and quantitative goals that align with the strategy, mission and vision of company
Educates and develops staff, creates evaluation and standards measurements, and completes annual reviews.
Factory like environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2016
Treat you like day care. No cell phone and no phone calls on business line, so not a place to work if you have children or family as they cannot contact you in the event of an emergency Office reeks of smoke as all managers do is smoke all day.
Pros
Helping members
Cons
Strict on time costly insurance poor life work balance
high turn over, inconsistent managerial goals/procedures
Case Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2016
The IT system in the company is terrible, which causes inefficiency and ineffectiveness, never completely set up to work remotely, work cell phone didn’t work more than it worked, usually end up having to use personal cell; probably used personal phone 70% of the time.

High Turn over;

Management is inconsistent, obvious power struggles in management staff, left employees wondering who they really reported to and who they should take assignments from. Written work flow was incomplete…told you what policy to follow but did not tell you how to finish assignment so assignments could remain open even though you thought they were complete... and for another manager they would have been considered complete. it just depended on who was "in charge" that day and what "they" wanted assignment completed like

Management would put down other managers in front of employees.

Had to learn to look like I was busy. I was in a new program and there were times I was not as busy as other times (often worked 60+ hours a week because of travel but other times worked 35 hours a week...not counting documentation time) they would try to make me help in another department even though I still needed to do my documentation....had a manager ask me why I had not done my documentation after I got off....I had already put in 12 hours that day and I didn't get paid OT nor did I get comp. time

Average health insurance but be careful....the enrollment date will pass without you being notified and then you can't get insurance.

Short lunch periods, no scheduled breaks ; A lot, and
  more... I do mean a LOT of Office politics !  less
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
unclear policies
Management is inexperienced and unprofessional
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 26, 2016
It's a company that does not respect the people that are doing the work. The worst part of the job was the constant micromanagement. Compensation and benefits are a joke. I would not recommend this company if you are looking for a professional environment that promotes growth.
Pros
Mileage is reimbursed
Cons
Very productive and an excellent professional work experience
Implementation and Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2016
At Universal American, I was able to excercise my full management experience by leading teams in from different departments, from Analytics to Marketing, Legal and Compliance. The work environment provided a very strong opportunity for Provider (Physician) relationships and management.
Pros
Excellent work place to excell at provider relations.
Cons
Management Culture a bit different.