Universal Companies Employee Reviews

It waas a work place that helped me gain and improve my professional knowledge and experience.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19146July 31, 2017
I had worked for over ten years as a program manager and also as VP of a program. I had managed over twelve centers and over twenty employees.I had created programs and centers from scratch. I had authored some research papers and also work place professionalism and effective communication.The most enjoyable part of the job was that it had been providing continuous training opportunities. Also the employees and management relationship had been great.The work culture was great.The hardest part was that you can be working over eight hours a day and some evening hours as well.
Pros
Professional development trainings and out os state conferences.
Cons
That you are required some times to stay late and work manay hours unpaid.
enjoyed working in the school cafeteria interacting with children
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2017
Loved working with the children and serving them breakfast and lunch and talking with them about there day. I worked in the baking industry for about 30 years so I pretty much new a lot about food safety, contamination, temperture, and food allergies. some of the children were allergic to fish, peanut butter and dairy products so they were accommdated accordanly. There really was no hard part about the job it was in a charter school that was fun.
Pros
Company paid Healthcare / Love working with the children
Cons
no lunch / short break
A good place to earn valuable teaching skills
Career & Technical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2017
This is a challenging environment with big rewards. You will work hard to inspire and form young minds for future productivity. The facility is state of the art. Funding is better than most public city schools.
Pros
Technology and funding
Cons
hard environment and culture
Universal Companies
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 15, 2017
Good company to work for. Salary is comparable and good benefits. The hours are longer than a traditional school day and the school year begins in August. Universal has many other programs outside of education.
Not a fun place to work
Special Assistant to the Senior EVP of Education (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2017
When hired I did not receive what I was promised in the interview. There was no chance for advancement and no real tuition reimbursement as I originally told.
productive and fun workplace
CEO Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 5, 2017
I loved the time I shared here at this summer job. The adulta were respectful and so were my colleagues. I did so many things during this experience, I learned so much about where I go to school and I've made good friends with the staff and teachers.
Pros
Kind Staff. Good Lunches. Respected children and adults
Cons
Short time period throughout my work day
Fast paced fun work place
Packer (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAJanuary 22, 2017
Pack and pick products and insure correct product for shipping and pack product safely for shipping. Must have great eye for details and work at rapid pace for long hours each day.
Pros
Great place to work. Good benifits.
Cons
Lots of standing, bending, climbing, lifting and long hours
Good pay poor management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 18, 2016
Management problems especially from the bottom. Good pay and good benefits all around. Work environment depends on which site one is at and who is managing. Poor work culture at times.
Pros
Good money and benefits
Thumbs WAY down
Assitant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJuly 12, 2016
This company needs to release all those in leadership and begin again fresh. The executives are overbearing and inept. They are cut throat, cliquish and immature. No one should be made to work in an environment like this. Hours are long, difficult and demanding--ONLY because you are forced to do another's job. Way too much money being stuffed into pockets than given to those in need. Hard to reach, very unorganized. Unprofessional. Thumbs way down.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Just Awful.
Fun place to work
IT Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAJune 29, 2016
No advancement opportunities, higher positions are hired from outside instead of in house, nice place to work though, friendly people, nice small city to work in
An innovative and exciting school environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2016
Audenried Universal High School is a state of the art facility where the students receive a marketable trade in addition to a strong academic foundation as it is a vocational-technical school.
Overwhelming yet rewarding experience
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 6, 2015
The job consisted of managing many different systems simultaneously. The rewarding part is reaching many different people every day. It taught me how to be resilient, a problem-solver and a quick thinker. I am a Case Manager in a school and the downside was the turn around rate of teachers. Within this year, we have lost 15 staff. The dynamic of staff has shifted and where there once was a team mentality there is not. I enjoyed working with the children and assisting them with barriers. I have learned to work within different systems, agencies and with different demographics.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No appreciation for hard work. No possibility for advancement.
Simple tasks
Non- Teaching Assistant (NTA) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2015
My job was to make sure kids in a high school conduct themselves in a proper manner in the halls, lunchroom, class rooms and bathrooms.
Pros
only 5 hours
Cons
No support from managment
productive work place
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2014
typical day at work having to deal with children making sure they get to class without disruption it actually wasn't a hard job at all working after school play with the kids n the gym shooting basketball n get paid for it wasn't bad either
Pros
free lunches
Cons
shortt brakes
moral needs to be lifted
Climate Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2014
Not a fun place to work anymore. There needs to be more listening instead of people coming in and drawing conclusions after one day of assessing.
Pros
most of the students are great!!
Cons
everyone is more important than the next person
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2014
Interacting with parents and youth by providing information about our programming, the requirements for participation, as well as responding to questions and complaints.
Productive and fun place to work.
Classroom Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 3, 2013
Enjoye the kids. they taught as well as me teaching them . positive atmosphere to work.
Lacking Professional Skills
Lead Secretary (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 23, 2013
Universal Companies hires inexperienced executives for their potential; They are very distant and uncaring of their employees, they have no loyalty or respect for hard work and they are completely unorganized. There is no room for advancement or development and no job security. The company operates remotely out of PA with little to no experience on Human Resource procedures or professionalism in the workplace. They violate many common-sensed and practical business ethics. I still have not a calculated outcome of vacation days, personal and sick times. Awful Employer. Thumbs down.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No job security
The company does not value its employees.
Staff Training & Development (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 26, 2013
This is a good place to start if you are a new administrator. One will gain some experience as an administrator, however turnover is high.
Typical Urban School... in its worst condition
Teacher (Former Employee) –  West PhiladelphiaJuly 24, 2013
Great collaborating staff! Staff appears to be compassionate about student learning and development, works as a team for the best interest of the students. Children and Families are hopeful and trusting... God Bless Them. Extended day, some Saturdays, normal school year.

Kenny Gamble was has been noted as MY HERO of Philadelphia and the African American Race. However, the Management and Organizers of the Human Resources Team??

Disappointed to learn that this charter company of schools will not recognize teachers for education and work experience. This company does not consider a Master's Degree + 30 as most teaching and learning institutions in the state of Pennsylvania and beyond. This company insists on negating full-time teaching experience acquired before "official" Teacher's Certification. My Teacher's Certification does NOT make me a High-Quality Teacher... MY EDUCATION, TALENT, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, and ABILITIES make ME A HIGH-QUALITY TEACHER. S.O.S. Philadelphia!!!!!! Charter School Greed and Selfishness will doom our children. :(

Surprised to see a dirty and disorganized school. There were roaches in the front office and evidence of unrepaired leaks. Piles and piles of paper work and books everywhere, out dated school projects still on display...soiled dirty carpet and front office chairs.

School Reform should start with pristine cleanliness and clear organization...thee MOST essential ingredients for a successful school. I genuinely wanted to make the most positive impact and become apart of a team that wanted the same. However....

PHILLY
  more... CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE NOT CONCERNED WITH PROVIDING HIGH QUALITY EDUCATION........ just concerned with controlling fund$. Their greed is a disservice to our education system... betrayal imposed on our school children. — Politics perhaps?! S.O.S.  less
Pros
Collaborating Team of teachers, urban youth eager to learn and prosper, families are trusting & hopeful
Cons
Pathetic Management has no clue, misinterprets what constitutes high-quality education, forfeits high-quality teachers to pocket fund$ for themselves.