Universal Engineering Sciences Employee Reviews

Very independent and self-organized work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 9, 2017
I worked as an administrative assistant at UES. I handled new hires and terminations, filed, entered data, created graphic design content (which was not part of the position, but I had a Photoshop certification), and other typical office responsibilities. I shared an office with another person, but could listen to my music as I worked and keep to myself. Nobody micromanaged me in the least and it was up to me to set my own pace and get everything done. I could work from home pretty easily if I didn't finish everything. The job was pretty flexible overall. I only worked three days a week, but that was by choice, and it would have been easy to me to ask for a steady full-time position with guaranteed hours. You do not have to be scheduled at UES and instead come in Monday-Friday and fill out a time card, and there is no lack of hours. I did not spend enough time at UES to say much for benefits or requesting time off, but as far as my position went, my pay was good and my hours were secure and I liked the independence of the job.
Pros
Independent work environment, guaranteed hours, good pay, lack of micromanagement
Cons
Not a lot of room for change, not always something new to learn, could be very boring at times
Throws You to the Wolves, Low Pay, Billing Body
Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  S. FloridaMarch 9, 2017
I worked for UES without certifications for months and was showed the ropes by a senior technician for a day before being sent out to multiple construction projects on my own. No education in plans reading, inspecting welds, reinforcing steel etc. and zero certifications. You're basically a billing tool for UES to invoice its customers and they're cheating said customers by providing uneducated personnel. Luckily I'm self motivated and therefore self taught.

I worked the entire quarter before resigning and UES withheld my earned profit sharing in spite. Not to mention making $10/hr. as an FDOT QC Manager (A $60k/yr. position) on two projects while also being the Sr. Tech. responsible for multiple Jr. Tech.'s who didn't care to do their jobs as required and daily onsite testing. I complained to UES management about the Jr. Tech's lack of performance; however, as mentioned above they are simply billing vessels and they continued to under-perform.

If you're not dedicated to a single job expect to rush all over tarnation due to multiple job sites and lack of proper scheduling. I'd be at Lake Okeechobee for a concrete pour at 10 AM and expected to be in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale at 12 PM for another.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Company Vehicle
Cons
Incompetent associates, Greedy Management
Terrible managment and stressful work enviroment
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 5, 2017
Absusive management with unprofessional skills.
The miami branch is a humiliation and embarrassment to all of Universal Engineering Sciences starting with the Branch manager working its way down to the janitors. The technicians have no access to the inside of the office nor any bathroom to use, they get told to use the gas station. Very unprofessional. Too much responsibilities and demands with very little respect and pay.
Ps if you're reading this corporate office.
(They keep ALOT of things from you)
Pros
Cons
Techs have no access to office nor bathrooms
Sometimes is fun when we participate in corporate events
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medley, FLSeptember 27, 2016
Flexible schedule, some days harder than others. I have learned how to manage my time, be more responsible and useful doing more than one job at the time. Co-workers are very happy and familiar and they help each other. The hardest part of this job is : (Learn the fastest as you can and as much as you can in a very short time). Most enjoyable part of the job. The hours, and the co-workers.
Pros
Vacations Paid
Cons
Short PTO
Unrewarding
Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 29, 2016
If you have a family or a life in general, you can kiss them goodbye. You will be worked beyond exhaustion and then asked to do more. Pay Scale is not competitive. No money for raises but plenty of money to buy hundreds of Under Armor shirts for office staff. No real training or guidance. Benefits are horrible. I would not recommend this company to a slave.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Management, no work/life balance, verbally abusive when overworked
Fast Paced And Efficient Work Enviroment
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLJuly 19, 2016
Working Here Has Been Good, But Like Everything In Life There Is Room For Improvement. The Work Load Is Evenly Distributed Between The Technician's.
Pros
Family Enviroment
Cons
Lack Leadership When Things Get Tough
Strong company, in business for over 50+ years, great management
Business Development Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 6, 2016
Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. (UES) is a consulting engineering firm based out of Orlando, Florida.

UES has been in business for over 50 years.

My experiences with the company were excellent. It is a fair and family oriented organization.
Pros
Longevity, honesty, family oriented
Cons
Very small office staff, work load emense. Need additional staff
Wonderful company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 2, 2016
I loved my time at Universal Engineering Sciences, Inc. Smaller company with a family attitude. I was there for almost eight years when I left, and I still miss most of the people I worked with.
Good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Daytona, FLFebruary 8, 2016
Good place to work if you are good with numbers. A lot computerized documentation and good technology. The program used for projects is very efficient.
Pros
bonus given
Cons
healthcare could be better
Very physical dirty work, long hours standing
Concrete Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 28, 2015
Long hours breaking concrete cylinders and beams. Worked almost every weekend and holidays. The most enjoyable part was working with a good group of guys in the lab. Management was awful.
Pros
steady work
Cons
Dirty environment, very physical, crazy hours
Drill helper
field technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 7, 2015
I gained a lot of knowledge at Universal with little education in the field. I learned a lot and traveled to different environments to learn different techniques. I am going to miss working there but feel at this time in my life it is time to move on.
Pros
Do not need education
Cons
poor scheduling
Diverse Work environment
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 25, 2014
Communication between management and support staff was efficient.
good working experience
field tech (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2014
good working experience to learn new things, but moving up can be hard. schedule is day by day, so you don't know if you work saturday until friday around 5 pm.
Pros
learn alot
Cons
extreme weather conditions
Great environment
Field Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 2, 2014
Great management and environment to work in while meeting new people and trade.
Pros
Take home truck.
Cons
Pay not equal to work responsibility
Good Group
Part-time Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 21, 2014
Small office. Everyone works together. Guidance by the manager helped to develop skill
Testing and Inspecting Construction Materials
Field and soils technician (Former Employee) –  TampaJune 18, 2014
Main objective was testing and inspecting earthwork operations and concrete construction. Minor plan reading and review was also performed for contractor compliance.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No complaints
Drilling Assistant
Driller Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 8, 2014
Mixing drill mud and additives for increasing viscosity or lubrication down the hole. I also support operation of custom built, high speed portable hydraulic drills used for geotechnical exploration or geotechnical construction. The team digs and levels footings for drills using hand tools and devices. Once completed we clean equipment and maintaining a clean worksite I also transport supplies and equipment. The tools we use vary depending on the job.I have knowledge of tools, equipment and machinery including pickups, vans, forklifts, pipe wrenches, in compliance with state, federal and/or local regulations and company policy

I am also responsible for moving and handling heavy drill rods and other equipment necessary to set up drill sites, trip out rod and perform drilling operations. Dig and level footings for drills using hand tools and devices. Regularly work around moving equipment and components while maintain a safe approach using JSA(Job Safety Analysis)/JHA (Job Hazards Analysis) and job specific safety awareness. Other duties as required within the scope of employment.
Pros
Compensation for time and travel
Cons
Working out of town and not being able to spend time with my family
Work
Drilling Helper (Former Employee) –  Brandon FloridaAugust 1, 2013
I got there in the morning and loaded the truck for the day then we would go out to the job site and start the day. My day included breaking rods, taking soil samples out of the spilt spoon, and taking notes on what we found.
A good company to work for
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta/GeorgiaJuly 9, 2013
I was involved in material testing on different job-sites. There was a lot of driving involved, but I was able to manage my time properly.
Pros
company car
Cons
no health insurance, low pay
High pace
Sr Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaMay 13, 2013
A typical day at Universal varies. I deal hands on with the field technicians and answer phone calls from clients. I type and bill reports and make sure they get out to the client in timely manner. Some days its vary laid back. My co-workers are repectful and helpful. The hardest part of the job is not enough time in the day to get the work done.
Pros
the overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Engineering Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9