Universal Forest Products

Universal Forest Products Employer Reviews

Wood prducts industry shift supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Eatonton, GAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits and work environment
Cons: economy based employement and management
Typical day, maintain product production, review product orders and set up augers and blades for production. Inspect angels of cuts and quality of lumber. Monitor work safety, endure quality and count is accurate and employees are following all safety requirements. Best part of job is the team development.
Not a bad company to work for at all.
Regional Project Manager (Former Employee), Folkston, GAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: vehicle allowance
Cons: sr. managers without proper experience on the subject field.
Very long hours, and not time for one self or family. You are constantly on the road. You are required to submit information at a moments notice that requires searching, inventory and it is not something you may do at a glace or a deep thought, when you have to compile all the information yourself.
Good company, no advancement
Assistant Saw Technician (Former Employee), Lafayette, COJanuary 2, 2015
It was a good company to work for but if your looking to advance there is none here.
Great Place
Operator I (Former Employee), La CrosseNovember 26, 2014
Great people to work around and was nice having hands on expierence
Great company, fun job,wonderful work experience & knowledge but only a very small satellite office with no advancement.
Corporate Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2014
Supported a staff of 7 engineers and sales professionals at this busy satellite office
handling 15-20 projects daily including occasional CAD design work of trusses and
other structural elements.
 Assumed responsibility at a time when office was exceptionally disorganized with
little or no policies and procedures in place; organized documentation flow and filing
systems; completely reorganized office business system and brought order to work
flow, job assessments and work scheduling.
Very busy and productive / fast pace
Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Ranson, WVNovember 17, 2014
Pros: working with a lot of people and different personalities
Cons: making sure we have enough inventory has been the hardest part of the job
Take Customer Orders and Quotes by phone, e-mail and fax. Figure Customer mark up prices based on each individual Customer and follow individual Customer Contracts and Guidelines. Follow up with Production, Design and the Treating Departments on all orders, when required. Assist in scheduling shipping appointments for all Customer’s. Assist in ensuring products are treated, cut and ready to ship so delivery times can be met. Customer follow up when there are any issues or delay’s with orders.

I enjoy working with Customer's and going the extra mile to please the customer.
Its a job
Truss Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Hudson, NYNovember 13, 2014
Pros: the employees work well together
Cons: management in my plant does not know how to manage a schedule properly.
The current employees are a great group of to work with. very little room to advance.
work hard play hard environment
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee), Thornton, CANovember 6, 2014
Pros: making own schedule
Cons: new ideas were difficult to convey
budgeting
cold calling
canvassing
purchasing
sales
logistics
manufacturing
Hardest part was delivering customer needs on time
Most enjoyed was making own schedule
many locations
In-Store Sales (Current Employee), michiganOctober 14, 2014
nice place to work for.
If you want to know more just ask.
visit their website for more info
UFP is a financially stong company with a work culture based on their internal plants.
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee), Paducah, KYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: travel and building new relationships
Cons: internal vs external cultures
UFP is a financially strong company, but lacked leadership vision outside of their internal plants. I was employed in their Consumer Products Division and the customer base consisted of independent wholesale distributors. The independent customer base culture was different than their company owned plants and it created a road block in the vision of our division.

My daily duties consisted of Regional Account Management of 9 independent wholesale distributors, helping them increase sales and profits in our 3 product categories. I was in charge of my personal time management, travel schedule, account budgeting and sales plans, increasing division margins and a continued effort in teaching a "system selling" approach. I worked with owners, branch managers, purchasing agents and sales teams.

Internally I worked with a team of other Account Managers, Marketing, Plant Personnel and V.P. of Sales. The hardest part of the position was managing our internal culture, but at the same time conveying a "different" message to our independent distributors.

I enjoyed the relationship building and helping a customer retain and attain new customers, which ultimately led to increased sales and profits for the customer and our division.
Not micro managed, numbers never lie
Account Manager (Current Employee), Gordon, PAOctober 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: low base salary
The majority of an account managers time is spent on the road meeting with current customers and also trying to obtain new customers. Monday is typically the lone office day of the week where a lot of quoting and scheduling is done.
fun
Production Assistant (Former Employee), Berlin, NJSeptember 22, 2014
its work but I enjoyed working with different people sup. suck but everyone is there to get the work done and get home and thats what i enjoy
labor intense work enviornment
Laborer (Current Employee), Warrens, WIJune 26, 2014
Pros: health insurnance
fill orders, take orders, change orders, and package orders
Horrible workplace
Lumber Grader (Former Employee), Conway, SCJune 7, 2014
Pros: i made good money
Cons: corruption
Mainly the "higher ups" where highly corrupted. They hired illegal immigrants. The main thing, loss pay.
Fast pasted. Fun, good coworkers.
General Laborer (Former Employee), Sidney, NYApril 1, 2014
Pros: had safety lunches.
Cons: n/a
The hardest part of the job was flipping 60' I-beams. I learned how to use a large forklift and a smaller forklift. My supervisors were very nice and full of advice when I needed it. I learned how to properly read a tape measure. I had to band bunks of I-beams and staple the job number on them. I also picked tarps and wood particles from the yard. My coworkers were all so helpful and they were good to be around and completing a good and safe work area.
shipping and recieving lumber
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Current Employee), White Bear Lake, MNMarch 17, 2014
a typical day consists of receiving lumber and shipping it. Overseeing and managing other employees
Overall, a great company to work for.
Inside Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Harrisonville, MOFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, work environment
Cons: training
Training could improve, but overall, this company gives you the tools you need to be successful.

Great work atmosphere, great pay, great benefits.

Only downfall for me is the location in which I was transferred to.
forklift and loading trucks
Material Handler (Former Employee), Lafayette, COFebruary 13, 2014
worked on stacking trusts and loading trucks.. worked out side all day sometimes fun and sometimes was bad depending on the weather
Nice
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Salisbury, NCNovember 6, 2013
Faced paced place to work, has some great people to work with.
U.F.P. Belchertown was a great place to work. I recommend anyone interested to apply.
Crew/Shift Leader (Former Employee), Belchertown, MAOctober 24, 2013
Pros: ample overtime, competent staff, promote from within, 401k/profit sharing
Cons: long/early hours and weekends.
Enjoyable environment. Hard work with plenty of rewards and benefits. Work hard play hard. Solid foundation of a company.

About Universal Forest Products

Universal Forest Products, Inc. engineers, manufactures, treats, distributes and installs lumber, composite wood, plastic, and – Read more