Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employer Reviews

Overall: Good Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 12, 2014
Pros: flexibility in site managment
Cons: bonus structure, culture, advancement, brand recognition
I've been an operations manager with UHS for over 4 years. The company provide an unique niche in the healthcare market place. Average day starts at 8am - 4:30pm.
Currently, I'm managing two locations. I've been patiently waiting for my replacement for over 18 months.
Worst place I ever worked for
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MOApril 8, 2014
Pros: patients
Cons: no breaks, management is the worst from top to bottom, understaffed, not professional, they don't care about the employee, and understaffed
Extremely understaffed, management was the worst, there was no professionalism, new manager was brought in with NO experience so the employees had to train her, the company doesn't care about the employees if you're not management and above, no accountability on the managers part, overworked, under appreciated, often times breaks and lunches were worked – more... through, as an HST there was no voicing your opinion. The best parts about working for UHS was learning about the medical equipment and the interaction with the doctors, nurses, and patients. Would not recommend this place to anyone that wants to be appreciated, have their voice heard, or feel like a part of a company. – less
Lots of overtime. No benefits
Customer service aka driver (Current Employee), PaMarch 22, 2014
Cons: no lunch breaks, overtime pay or benefits for "on demand"
If you want a job where you work 70 hours a week doing jobs that no one else wants with no overtime pay or benefits then this is the place for you. No time off allowed for dr appointments or school or interviews to try to leave. It's a trap!
Decent
HST (Former Employee), TexasFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: bonus for all employees, even part time.
Cons: no sick pay!
Overall an okay place to work. Can be very stressful at times. Company has bad pattern of keeping underperforming employees. Raises are pathetic
Fast paced with extensive knowledge of equipment
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Tiffin, IAFebruary 15, 2014
This is a fast paced environment with business constantly changing. We supply medical equipment to hospitals all over the state so it is very important to keep up with all the new technology and equipment. I have learned a great deal about customer service, supervising employees, and sales strategies.
unhappy moments dealing with grieving family members
Hospital Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), 14 E. Stow Rd Marlton, NJ 08053January 28, 2014
Pros: bonuses, free lunches/ stationary from reps, good feeling of making a difference for someone.
Cons: work in all kinds of weather and holidays, hospital are always open
Every day is a challenge, my job is to help and support people who have lost someone of their loved one is gravely ill. It takes compasion and understanding in order to assist someone in this critical time. Patience is something I have developed over the years and it has allowed me to be more helpful to someone else in their time of need.
Time management – more... is also something that I had to developed. I like to have everything done almost at once, but I have learned how to prioritize my task and take care of the most important first and delegate all other issues accordingly. – less
Great place to work.
Clinical Care Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: vehicle provided, set own schedule which allowed me to visit accounts that were in immediate need.
Cons: unable to visit long distant accounts as much, due to budget.
Rounded on all patient handling equipment. Wound vacs, beds, mattresses, etc. Developed so many great relationships in the hospitals through the years. Always would check in with staff from every department, addressing needs and concerns as well as implementing new ideas for better outcomes. Loved the idea of meeting and greeting all staff, as well – more... as patients. Promoting new products as well as training new staff was very enjoyable. Have knowledge of so many pieces of equipment, not just patient handling. Thorough knowledge of infusion, ventilators, CPM's, etc. The most enjoyable was the incredible relationships I have established through the years. I was a trusted advisor for them. – less
UHS review
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee), Earth City, MOJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: paid time off for part time employees
Cons: always short staffed
I really enjoyed working for UHS. It was a learning experience that I will never forget. The staff that I worked with was pleasant. I enjoyed having paid time off even though I was a part time employee. I also enjoyed getting to know the hospital staff that I was stationed at. The hardest part of the job was that we were always short staffed.
Challenging rewarding job
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee), Raleigh Durham, NCJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: management, team support
Cons: resources, paperwork
UHS is a challenging place to work since there are so many different products. My management team is excellent and supportive. So far, it has been very enjoyable to work here.
Good Job... Questionable Management
Equipment Process Technician I (Current Employee), Dunbar, WVJanuary 9, 2014
The job is good, and it's a balanced work environment. My typical day at work consists of clocking in; cleaning beds; and cleaning medical equipment. It's nothing to be learned as much, but in certain fields is hard to advance. Management is highly questionable due to the fact that it's very cutthroat.HR is screwing people over, and then you have the – more... management publicly yelling at their employers. Not much diversity in ethnicity where it's only one black person and one female working. The hardest part of the job is that if you're a EPT (Equipment Process Technician) I. You're the only one that's singled out on trying to test / inspect certain things; and sometimes you are working all day on your feet that goes pass your actual clock out time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the co-workers who there that makes the day go by. – less
Terrible company. Do not work here.
Analyst (Former Employee), Edina, MNDecember 26, 2013
Pros: non-sales staff employees are good to work with
Cons: the sales reps will make your daily life miserable
The culture at the UHS corporate office is the worst I ever have seen. The management style is one of fear and intimidation. There is a contant threat of layoffs, employees have no job security, and employee morale is extremely low.

The Asset360 Sales group leads the charge in this company, and has no regard for fiscal or moral responsibility. If you – more... dare stand up to them or get in their way, your career at UHS is finished. They need to CLEAN HOUSE in the sales group, starting with the A360 leadership team. Think I'm exaggerating? Ask around. Reputable recruiting firms won't send their candidates to UHS any longer.

But, there is one positive thing that can be said about working at UHS: a number of truly decent people work in non-management positions. So you'll have a number of good, new connections when you quit or get fired 12-24 months after your hire date.

Bottom line: DO NOT WORK AT UHS. You'll regret it if you do. – less
Good Place to Work
Divisional Operations Director (Current Employee), Oklahoma, TXDecember 18, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: focus changes daily
Good hard working people who want to do good things for the patients they serve
Hospital equipment rental and logistics company.
District Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 13, 2013
Pros: strong logistics, niche market position, customer oriented.
Cons: low margins, sales team had to assist with emergency response 24/7.
I managed a team of sales and service representatives who called on local hospitals in North and South Carolina. I enjoyed the multiple aspects of the position which included logistics, technical service of a variety of medical equipment, and sales to nearly every department within a hospital.

The hardest part of the position was to anticipate the – more... emergency needs of the hospitals and maintain the best mix of equipment and parts within the branch inventory. – less
Too political
BMET (Former Employee), FresnoDecember 1, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: home office looked the other way.
The district office supervisor was a womanizer and a drunk who could hardly wait to tell everyone about his night before. DOS was kicked out of a hospital for wondering the halls??? When his ignorance lost us an account for $20k a month in revenue, I knew I'd seen enough.
Not a fun place to work,they try to treat you like a dog!!
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee), Maumee, OHNovember 12, 2013
Cons: most day`s you dont get lunch and you never get to take your breaks.
Awful company that does not treat there employee`s well,lousy compensation and horrible work hours!!
Good place to work but sorry management
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaOctober 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, bonuses, holiday parties
Cons: management is sorry!
I was let go from this company after having a baby. I was told that it was because I was an On Demand employee. I worked hard for 2 years here, all the way up until the week I gave birth. The management at this location was sorry and showed favoritism to the laziest employees. I guess because they stayed in his office telling him only God knows what. – more... I went to him a couple of times about these same people dodging work, calling out every week, leaving orders in the printer and refusing to do work. Ultimately, thats what sent me out the door, not having a baby. This is a good company to work for, this location just has BAD management. – less
Inventory and clean hospital equipment.
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 1, 2013
Very busy, must monitor productivity. Hours are the most difficult, some nights then some days. The most enjoyable part is the interaction with patients and coworkers.
Good team atmosphere on the local levels a upward battle for advancement
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Wixom, MISeptember 24, 2013
Pros: flexibility to schedules for local staff to work multiple shifts
Cons: limited advancement
Day to day running of medical supply and rental company. Current freeze on hiring and staffing concerns. Good local team leadership fights for little guy but generally falls on deaf ears.
Good place to get started in the field
Biomedical Technician (Current Employee), New JerseySeptember 23, 2013
Great opportunity for technicians just getting out of school looking for experience.
Working place for motivated people
Biomedical Equipment Specialist (Former Employee), Norcross, GAAugust 26, 2013
A biomedical Techinician will find at UHS the tool needed to stay competitive on the job market: Diversity of equipment, travel opportunities, and networking.

1 2 3

About Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. (UHS) is a leading provider of medical equipment management and service solutions to the US – Read more