Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Stay away from this company!!!
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 9, 2017
One of the worst companys to work for the pay is great but to deal with management and all the changing guidlines isnt enough to compensate. The boss who i had was very unprofessional and wouldn't allow other employees to use PTO or schedule off even months in advance. God for bid you even call out sick! And on top of that YOU had to find the coverage not the boss. Which in my years of retail and other companies was a first! Stay away from this company as much as possible.
Pros
Hospital experience and high pay
Cons
Bad management, refusing time off, horrible co workers, no benefits as part time, no room for advancement, harassment off the job, just a bad company :(
Don't bother.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 24, 2016
Low pay. Terrible work/life balance. Expensive health/dental/vision. No vacation. No room for growth.

This job was was fine to start me off in a new state, but I quit once I found a higher paying job with benefits, vacation, and a Mon-Fri schedule.

This job will wear you down. On your days off you will want to do nothing but sleep.

This job might be okay for someone who is in their early twenties or lives with their parents, but does not fit well with someone who has a busy life outside of work.
Pros
Long lunches, being left alone, discount on cafeteria food
Cons
Exhausting shifts, too much work for low pay, being shorthanded
Supervisors/managmnt is great
Hospital Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2017
This is a great company to work for ... the supervisors are very supportive. Always there to assist you.
95% of the company is great
Pros
Cons
salary
UHS is an enjoyable company to work for.
Customer service technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILFebruary 17, 2017
UHS is an enjoyable company to work for. UHS is understanding when you are dealing with a major family crisis. Pay and compensation are on par for required education and experience.
eswl
ESWL (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2016
Poor training if not nonexistent training. Expected to be on their beck and call without standby pay. Poor benefits poor pay. If you work for this company do so short term not a good long range career.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Nearly every aspect
Worst Place to Work
Hospital Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
For the people that work for this company in Houston and have given this company a good review, you are a sorry liar. This company is terrible. The management team is always doing some shady stuff and always beating around the bush. To elaborate on my statement; the management team always gives you excuses why you are not being promoted and there is constantly new requirements that you have to meet. When you meet those requirements then there is something wrong with you and when you fix what they told you there is another story or requirement you have to meet. Hours are ok and thats the only thing that is manageable in this company. You are constantly asked to do this and that with no decent pay incentives and you yearly pay increase is ridiculous. You read that right you get one raise a year that is if you are lucky and if you do get one its less then .30 cents. Their turn over rate is through the roof and for the people that have been here for a while are treated like cattle. The way this company works is as long as the higher ups get their bonuses and all they don't care about their employees they will replace you in a heart beat. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
Everything... Terrible management, Poor work Ethics, Do not care about their employees
Manager in Syracuse is a crazy person
Hospital Tech (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 14, 2016
Used to be a good place to work. New manager came in and fired almost everyone in 2015. It's just a revolving door now. Best workers are all gone. Current manager is the worst person I've ever worked for and a complete liar who makes it up as she goes. She got rid of the people who tried to make a difference while she sits in an office all day and listens to music and shops on the internet.
Pros
None at this point
Cons
Manager
Ok to start out in
Fixed Asset Accountant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 30, 2017
Not a horrible company, but not for anyone looking for a place to stay long term. Sales and operations not really in sync with each other. Communication is iffy... depends on what C-level person is providing the communication. Company depends on "home-grown" programs yet outsourced the help desk.

My department team was wonderful and my immediate manager was the best. Cross-departmental communication and teamwork is hit or miss.

Good place to get your feet wet for about 3 years, but probably not where you want to retire from.
This a bloated corporation
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
UHS typifies the corporate model of pleasing shareholders. During my time at this company there was very little support provided by the company to the individuals.

The measurables that they used were not customer focused but instead were only used to affect the stock price.
Pros
Great workers with good attitudes
Cons
poor management and an unorganized corporate structure
Hospita Service Tech I
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
As a HST I, all I have done for the last four years of my working life with this company is clean the medical equipment and do patient rounds. At first I thought the job was a great way to advance in the medical industry, but I was wrong. For almost four years with this company I have not gotten any decent raises or a promotion. We used to get bonuses ever quarter, but that was taken away. I have been working hard trying to impress the management to get a promotion, but it was never recognized since the management constantly comes up with new rules and requirements when ever you start talking about a promotion. The management does not care about the employees and when you voice your opinion it falls on def ears. The company has no structure they are always short on medical equipment and the whole management team is unorganized.
I will be looking for another job ASAP.
Pros
Learn about medical equipment
Cons
no advancement, poor management and leadership, unorganized.
Poor leadership, 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year
Clinical Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
Poor leadership, I had 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year and there were many leadership changes from the CEO to front line staff in a very short amount of months. No one really knew what role they wanted the Clinical Solutions Sales RN to provide.
Truly helping others...
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2016
This job truly helps others. There is a patient on the other end of everything we do. Everybody knows we are all on the same team. I only wish the training was better.
Pros
Very competitive pay and benefits.
Cons
Need a better focus on training, The "sink or swim" mentality suffers without a "lifeguard on duty" for new employees.
Company with Integrity
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me is the on-call. This is a 24/7 company and we deliver all types of equipment to our customers within a 2 hour + drive time. This includes 1000 lb bariatric beds and for a 55 year old woman it is not easy.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They call and know that I'm able to help them - going above and beyond.
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
On-Call
Positive Management
Hospital Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2016
UHS is a wonderful company with a great purpose. Management was awesome and I loved feeling like I was making a difference within the company. I loved my team and everyone was fun to work with. No complaints!
Pros
Great leadership and management
Cons
Could be some wage improvement
Horrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, CA 91352February 2, 2017
Extremely under paid for work given, Was told after an 8 hour shift to drive up to Sacramento and back the same night to deliver a unit needed for the next day. Told to not have any overtime, if worked over time i had to break it up and place it on days worked or forced a day off so overtime was not paid
Uhs
Anesthesia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 19, 2017
It was really good working for UHS but when management changed it got hard on all the veterans and eventually they shut down our Arlington banch.
Customer Service Tech
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
I liked working with UHS, I enjoy working in a Hospital environment. I picked a new skill on how to take inventory using a hand held scanner, loading information into data base. This job did require a lot of walking which I like because I wasn't sitting the entire shift. Management treated employees with respect.
Management was very professional
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 21, 2016
work atmosphere and co-workers were great. This was a contract that I was a part of for over 5 years and we got a renewal of 5 more years due to my performance. The dirty word politics came and they force us out.
Flexible Schedule
Hospital Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WIMarch 11, 2015
I have heard a lot of things that have been going on within this work environment. Some of the things I have heard in particular is other employees talking about other employees behind their backs. I believe their is a lot of work criticism that goes on although I never hear any of it except when I ask about it from another co-worker. I enjoy working with some of the people I work with but am getting tired of the job because my hours only average about 11 hours a month. I recently found out that I don't qualify for any of the pay raises because of how I was hired on so that was quite a shock. I also don't get any PTO or holiday pay as a part timer. The only time I get paid for a holiday is if I work it.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No bonuses, No PTO, No holiday pay unless you work, not enough hours for part time
Great company
Professional Hospital Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILJanuary 22, 2015
UHS provides a great service and is easy to promote due to the quality and training they provide.
Everyday you hit the ground running and each day offers something new or challenging. In a management role you are responsible for all aspects of the department, all hours, all shifts.
Several of the positions were part time under 20 hours a week and I found the turn over was very time consuming. Schedule adjustments were consistent, overall everyone worked very well together to meet the needs required. Often times, I worked 14 to 15 hours a day on Salary.
Overall, I enjoyed my job and the experiences.
Pros
Everything I learned and experianced
Cons
I didn't get the support I needed to retain staff, less head count and full time positions would have been more appealing resulting in less turn over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Hospital Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7