Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible District Operation Manager along with lazy co-workers-No Leadership at all
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 18, 2016
DOM is a horrible boss wino leadership skill along with lazy people that are selfish and a terrible AE who think she runs that place-Have met multiple people have said the same thing and the turnover ratio is ridiculous
Pros
none-you will be traveling 90% of the time with no guidance or leadership
Cons
everything with that team
Worst Place to Work
Hospital Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
For the people that work for this company in Houston and have given this company a good review, you are a sorry liar. This company is terrible. The management team is always doing some shady stuff and always beating around the bush. To elaborate on my statement; the management team always gives you excuses why you are not being promoted and there is constantly new requirements that you have to meet. When you meet those requirements then there is something wrong with you and when you fix what they told you there is another story or requirement you have to meet. Hours are ok and thats the only thing that is manageable in this company. You are constantly asked to do this and that with no decent pay incentives and you yearly pay increase is ridiculous. You read that right you get one raise a year that is if you are lucky and if you do get one its less then .30 cents. Their turn over rate is through the roof and for the people that have been here for a while are treated like cattle. The way this company works is as long as the higher ups get their bonuses and all they don't care about their employees they will replace you in a heart beat. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
Everything... Terrible management, Poor work Ethics, Do not care about their employees
Horrible!
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYMarch 22, 2016
I worked at the University of Kentucky site for about 5 months and the management is horrible. The first shift lead makes you want to pull your hair out! She's negative! The morale is extremely low!! If you are trying to transfer out of this location they will keep you from leaving by lying and "losing" paperwork!
Pros
people you work with
accomendating for student
Hospital service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHMarch 18, 2016
this company is very accomadating for a person thats in school, the work with me really well while I was attending nursing school and how nursing school has all type of crazy hours they paid me well and I was still able to switch up my schedule the way I wanted to accomendate school.
Pros
accomendations between work and schools
Cons
no room for growth in company
Terrible workplace and ethics
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
This company is by far the worst company I have worked for. Anyone seeking a career with this company be ready to work your behind off and now get anything in return. I have been with the company for almost 5 years and I am still in the same position that I started off with. I have done everything possible to learn every aspect of the business and I have even came in on my own time that I did not get paid for to do extra training and I have not received any promotion. The management team sucks all they do is feed you lies and bunch of stories on why they cannot promote people and most of the time the their story is along the lines of them being on a tight budget while the management team is constantly eating out at restaurants on the company card. Our day consists of cleaning and lying to patients about the work we do. We go to every single room in the hospital and tell the patients that we are scanning the equipment for inventory but in reality they are getting billed for it. We never have equipment that we need to do our job correctly and when things go south we are the first to be blamed even though its the managements fault for not letting us have more equipment because they want to run their utilization numbers high. I am sick and tired of this place I am glad I left. Less stress.
Unique,challenging business model
BMET (Former Employee) –  MPLS, MNFebruary 2, 2016
I know other reviews have been harsh but UHS is really not an employee friendly company.
This is a service company only and not the greatest service at that. No vision at top management on where they want to take the company, only to squeeze every penny out for another quick sale so the top people can ride off into the sunset.
Technical training is hit or miss at the district office because seasoned employees have no way to account for time except for working on equipment.
As a technical employee you are really only valued for the amount of pieces you put out each day and nothing else that you may contribute on your own initiative.
If you are technical employee the only situation where you may want to consider UHS is to get your feet wet in Biomed., but you will be hired on as a temp. or on-demand. I would only recommend taking a job there if you are extremely desperate. The caustic environment is not worth it otherwize.
Pros
Donuts on Fridays and occasional free lunches to make people feel better
Cons
Hostile employee environment. Seems that everyone feels threatened.
Easy to advance and great hours just managers are the problem
Hospital Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 5, 2016
I love working at UHS however some of the management doesn't always tell the truth about things they like to sugar coat things and make them seem better than they are, but then you have managers that really get things done. Overall i love working here and you stay pretty busy depending on what account you work at.
Pros
positive environment, stay busy
Cons
SOME management
Fun and productive place
Medical Laser Repair Engineering (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2015
the most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. there was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Hospita Service Tech I
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
As a HST I, all I have done for the last four years of my working life with this company is clean the medical equipment and do patient rounds. At first I thought the job was a great way to advance in the medical industry, but I was wrong. For almost four years with this company I have not gotten any decent raises or a promotion. We used to get bonuses ever quarter, but that was taken away. I have been working hard trying to impress the management to get a promotion, but it was never recognized since the management constantly comes up with new rules and requirements when ever you start talking about a promotion. The management does not care about the employees and when you voice your opinion it falls on def ears. The company has no structure they are always short on medical equipment and the whole management team is unorganized.
I will be looking for another job ASAP.
Pros
Learn about medical equipment
Cons
no advancement, poor management and leadership, unorganized.
Educating those in confined hospital
Educator and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2015
A typical day is preparing lessons and teaching class to adolescent girls between the ages of 13 and 18 who have special needs.
Good starting job
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILNovember 5, 2015
I was employed by Universal Hospital Services upon receiving my first degree. I learned a lot, but eventually maxed out in pay and was forced to look to other companies for opportunities to make more money.
Pros
Good first job out of college.
Cons
Relatively low pay
Hst
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 25, 2015
Management was pretty much non exsitant at UHS. Worked without a manger for almost six months. Turn over rate at an all time high.
Pros
Hospital Setting
Cons
Horrible Management
It is a great first hourly paid job, but you never know what a day could bring with add-on cases
Laser Technician (Current Employee) –  Bucyrus, KansasOctober 8, 2015
I was able to learn about Class IV lasers that is used in many different hospital facility Operating Rooms. Once tested and certified on a in particular laser, then a typical day at the office is loading up the laser in a work vehicle, delivering it to the hospital, setting it up and test firing the laser professionally, then handing it over to the doctor until the case is completed. While the case is going on it is my responsibility to be in the room and available in case the doctor has questions or the laser malfunctions then needs trouble shooting.
Pros
Very flexible job
Cons
You can never makes plans during the week due to not knowing your hours
Productive and simple as long as everyone works.
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2015
A good company when it comes to working hours, but changes needs to be changed when it comes to employees being hired as well as advancement within the company.
Pros
Extra hours
Cons
Too much downtime, employees can't come together, employees get to comfortable, poor leadership
Learned about all types of medical equipment.
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 28, 2015
The Company did away with this position in Memphis area for lack of sales and rentals. I have reviewed this Company above.
Pros
Made my own schedule 80% of time
Cons
Poor education to staff on the many computer systems needed daily. Just poor education to staff.
Live and exciting
Hospital Service Tech II (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 22, 2015
Convergys was not my first call center but I must say it was the best. I learned how to become an outstanding customer service rep and more while working with this company. There were most definitely enjoyable times there. Our sales team made sure that we enjoyed making sales with each incoming call that came in. Convergys was a great company to work for. I enjoyed being a customer service rep and more with the company. They made sure that there were room to grow and that I did indeed.
Good company to work for.
Repair Technician I (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILAugust 26, 2015
I learned to work on various types of medical equipment. The hardest part of the job was meeting weekly quota. This was due in part to lack of participation by team members. The most enjoyable part of the job was the basketball hoop in the back.
Nice Company great Benefits
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  University of Kansas HospitalAugust 20, 2015
A typical day on the job for this employer is difficult. They allow so many wrongs from people and push the consequences on everyone else. Most of the week i come in and start my rounds, which is going from patient room to room and perform maintenance checks and inventory. Afterwards, i go download my activity from my hand held wand. Then i clean the medical equipment for the rest of the night. Management was hard to deal with which is the reason for me leaving the company. My manager would talk to us with no respect at all. there was no hard part about the job.
Great employees
Hospital IV Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2015
Enjoyable job with a degree advancement is very possible.
Too many new training that does not help with every day account activity.
Love working with patients and being apart of the hospital.
Horrible benefits
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
Bad benefits, Job security questionable
Productive Workplace
Hospital Service Technicians (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 27, 2015
I typical worked 2:30 to 11 pm responding to hospital calls for equipment. I learned how to work in a fast-pace environment. This was an enjoyable job.

2.8