Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Hospita Service Tech I
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
As a HST I, all I have done for the last four years of my working life with this company is clean the medical equipment and do patient rounds. At first I thought the job was a great way to advance in the medical industry, but I was wrong. For almost four years with this company I have not gotten any decent raises or a promotion. We used to get bonuses ever quarter, but that was taken away. I have been working hard trying to impress the management to get a promotion, but it was never recognized since the management constantly comes up with new rules and requirements when ever you start talking about a promotion. The management does not care about the employees and when you voice your opinion it falls on def ears. The company has no structure they are always short on medical equipment and the whole management team is unorganized.
I will be looking for another job ASAP.
Pros
Learn about medical equipment
Cons
no advancement, poor management and leadership, unorganized.
Terrible workplace and ethics
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
This company is by far the worst company I have worked for. Anyone seeking a career with this company be ready to work your behind off and now get anything in return. I have been with the company for almost 5 years and I am still in the same position that I started off with. I have done everything possible to learn every aspect of the business and I have even came in on my own time that I did not get paid for to do extra training and I have not received any promotion. The management team sucks all they do is feed you lies and bunch of stories on why they cannot promote people and most of the time the their story is along the lines of them being on a tight budget while the management team is constantly eating out at restaurants on the company card. Our day consists of cleaning and lying to patients about the work we do. We go to every single room in the hospital and tell the patients that we are scanning the equipment for inventory but in reality they are getting billed for it. We never have equipment that we need to do our job correctly and when things go south we are the first to be blamed even though its the managements fault for not letting us have more equipment because they want to run their utilization numbers high. I am sick and tired of this place I am glad I left. Less stress.
Truly helping others...
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2016
This job truly helps others. There is a patient on the other end of everything we do. Everybody knows we are all on the same team. I only wish the training was better.
Pros
Very competitive pay and benefits.
Cons
Need a better focus on training, The "sink or swim" mentality suffers without a "lifeguard on duty" for new employees.
Unique,challenging business model
BMET (Former Employee) –  MPLS, MNFebruary 2, 2016
I know other reviews have been harsh but UHS is really not an employee friendly company.
This is a service company only and not the greatest service at that. No vision at top management on where they want to take the company, only to squeeze every penny out for another quick sale so the top people can ride off into the sunset.
Technical training is hit or miss at the district office because seasoned employees have no way to account for time except for working on equipment.
As a technical employee you are really only valued for the amount of pieces you put out each day and nothing else that you may contribute on your own initiative.
If you are technical employee the only situation where you may want to consider UHS is to get your feet wet in Biomed., but you will be hired on as a temp. or on-demand. I would only recommend taking a job there if you are extremely desperate. The caustic environment is not worth it otherwize.
Pros
Donuts on Fridays and occasional free lunches to make people feel better
Cons
Hostile employee environment. Seems that everyone feels threatened.
Horrible!
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYMarch 22, 2016
I worked at the University of Kentucky site for about 5 months and the management is horrible. The first shift lead makes you want to pull your hair out! She's negative! The morale is extremely low!! If you are trying to transfer out of this location they will keep you from leaving by lying and "losing" paperwork!
Pros
people you work with
Easy to advance and great hours just managers are the problem
Hospital Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 5, 2016
I love working at UHS however some of the management doesn't always tell the truth about things they like to sugar coat things and make them seem better than they are, but then you have managers that really get things done. Overall i love working here and you stay pretty busy depending on what account you work at.
Pros
positive environment, stay busy
Cons
SOME management
Equal opportunity employer
Hospital Service Technician/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 26, 2015
Oversee all equipment managing tasks including inspections, preventive and corrective maintenance, minor repairs, cleaning, procuring, distributing, processing, tracking, and recording of patient equipment.
The company is not supportive to the Hospital needs.
Management holds each individual accountable.
co-workers are competent.
Carrying someone else's work load.
The People
Pros
Flexible Hours/management
Cons
Compensation/ Workplace advancement
accomendating for student
Hospital service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHMarch 18, 2016
this company is very accomadating for a person thats in school, the work with me really well while I was attending nursing school and how nursing school has all type of crazy hours they paid me well and I was still able to switch up my schedule the way I wanted to accomendate school.
Pros
accomendations between work and schools
Cons
no room for growth in company
Worst Place to Work
Hospital Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
For the people that work for this company in Houston and have given this company a good review, you are a sorry liar. This company is terrible. The management team is always doing some shady stuff and always beating around the bush. To elaborate on my statement; the management team always gives you excuses why you are not being promoted and there is constantly new requirements that you have to meet. When you meet those requirements then there is something wrong with you and when you fix what they told you there is another story or requirement you have to meet. Hours are ok and thats the only thing that is manageable in this company. You are constantly asked to do this and that with no decent pay incentives and you yearly pay increase is ridiculous. You read that right you get one raise a year that is if you are lucky and if you do get one its less then .30 cents. Their turn over rate is through the roof and for the people that have been here for a while are treated like cattle. The way this company works is as long as the higher ups get their bonuses and all they don't care about their employees they will replace you in a heart beat. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
Everything... Terrible management, Poor work Ethics, Do not care about their employees
Nice Company great Benefits
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  University of Kansas HospitalAugust 20, 2015
A typical day on the job for this employer is difficult. They allow so many wrongs from people and push the consequences on everyone else. Most of the week i come in and start my rounds, which is going from patient room to room and perform maintenance checks and inventory. Afterwards, i go download my activity from my hand held wand. Then i clean the medical equipment for the rest of the night. Management was hard to deal with which is the reason for me leaving the company. My manager would talk to us with no respect at all. there was no hard part about the job.
Great employees
Hospital IV Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2015
Enjoyable job with a degree advancement is very possible.
Too many new training that does not help with every day account activity.
Love working with patients and being apart of the hospital.
Horrible benefits
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
Bad benefits, Job security questionable
Flexible Schedule
Hospital Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WIMarch 11, 2015
I have heard a lot of things that have been going on within this work environment. Some of the things I have heard in particular is other employees talking about other employees behind their backs. I believe their is a lot of work criticism that goes on although I never hear any of it except when I ask about it from another co-worker. I enjoy working with some of the people I work with but am getting tired of the job because my hours only average about 11 hours a month. I recently found out that I don't qualify for any of the pay raises because of how I was hired on so that was quite a shock. I also don't get any PTO or holiday pay as a part timer. The only time I get paid for a holiday is if I work it.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no bonuses, no pto, no holiday pay unless you work, not enough hours for part time
Productive and simple as long as everyone works.
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2015
A good company when it comes to working hours, but changes needs to be changed when it comes to employees being hired as well as advancement within the company.
Pros
Extra hours
Cons
Too much downtime, employees can't come together, employees get to comfortable, poor leadership
A great place to work
Asset 360 Team Member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 19, 2015
UHS is a great place to work. Very close knit team/family oriented environment. They support initiative and independent thinking while still holding all accountable for positive customer outcomes. The people in the organization are great. There are opportunities to move around the country while advancing, or expanding experience and knowledge base. The hardest part about working for the company is their skeleton staffing work model. That just means opportunities to step up and fill the void, while showing the management what you are made of. Great Company!
Pros
401k, medical, dental, team mates
Cons
skeleton staffing model
It is a great first hourly paid job, but you never know what a day could bring with add-on cases
Laser Technician (Current Employee) –  Bucyrus, KansasOctober 8, 2015
I was able to learn about Class IV lasers that is used in many different hospital facility Operating Rooms. Once tested and certified on a in particular laser, then a typical day at the office is loading up the laser in a work vehicle, delivering it to the hospital, setting it up and test firing the laser professionally, then handing it over to the doctor until the case is completed. While the case is going on it is my responsibility to be in the room and available in case the doctor has questions or the laser malfunctions then needs trouble shooting.
Pros
Very flexible job
Cons
You can never makes plans during the week due to not knowing your hours
Great company
Professional Hospital Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILJanuary 22, 2015
UHS provides a great service and is easy to promote due to the quality and training they provide.
Everyday you hit the ground running and each day offers something new or challenging. In a management role you are responsible for all aspects of the department, all hours, all shifts.
Several of the positions were part time under 20 hours a week and I found the turn over was very time consuming. Schedule adjustments were consistent, overall everyone worked very well together to meet the needs required. Often times, I worked 14 to 15 hours a day on Salary.
Overall, I enjoyed my job and the experiences.
Pros
everything i learned and experianced
Cons
i didn't get the support i needed to retain staff, less head count and full time positions would have been more appealing resulting in less turn over.
Hst
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 25, 2015
Management was pretty much non exsitant at UHS. Worked without a manger for almost six months. Turn over rate at an all time high.
Pros
Hospital Setting
Cons
Horrible Management
Terrible company. Do not work here.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNDecember 26, 2013
The culture at the UHS corporate office is the worst I ever have seen. The management style is one of fear and intimidation. There is a contant threat of layoffs, employees have no job security, and employee morale is extremely low.

The Asset360 Sales group leads the charge in this company, and has no regard for fiscal or moral responsibility. If you dare stand up to them or get in their way, your career at UHS is finished. They need to CLEAN HOUSE in the sales group, starting with the A360 leadership team. Think I'm exaggerating? Ask around. Reputable recruiting firms won't send their candidates to UHS any longer.

But, there is one positive thing that can be said about working at UHS: a number of truly decent people work in non-management positions. So you'll have a number of good, new connections when you quit or get fired 12-24 months after your hire date.

Bottom line: DO NOT WORK AT UHS. You'll regret it if you do.
Pros
non-sales staff employees are good to work with
Cons
the sales reps will make your daily life miserable
Hospital Service Tech II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 17, 2015
Great company to work for overall and get your foot in the door to an great healthcare career. Co-workers are great, management have a high turnover rate
Data -driven, soul-sucking grind
District Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO.June 5, 2015
To start, UHS has a reputation for sky-high turnover, especially in the field (Hospital Service Techs and Customer Service Techs). These folks are the "front line" employees who actually "make" the company money, but the pay is marginal for the work they perform.

They recently hired a new CEO who talks a good game, but time will tell if he can pull it off. I believe his arrogance will be his undoing.

Company is in a difficult spot right now due to complete turnover of corporate staff and loss of most of the tenured employees. The sad thing is that no one really seems to care.

This isn't a company where you ever feel secure, as you can be let go at any time, regardless of job performance. They have lost a LOT of good people. It's all about the money - period.

District managers spend most of their time analyzing data from company Scorecard along with various other reports, and then having to explain the results to the corporate folks. It's tedious, boring, and mind-numbing.

I love the people I work with, but HATE the work.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Micro-management and management by fear