Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

eswl
ESWL (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2016
Poor training if not nonexistent training. Expected to be on their beck and call without standby pay. Poor benefits poor pay. If you work for this company do so short term not a good long range career.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Nearly every aspect
Worst Place to Work
Hospital Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
For the people that work for this company in Houston and have given this company a good review, you are a sorry liar. This company is terrible. The management team is always doing some shady stuff and always beating around the bush. To elaborate on my statement; the management team always gives you excuses why you are not being promoted and there is constantly new requirements that you have to meet. When you meet those requirements then there is something wrong with you and when you fix what they told you there is another story or requirement you have to meet. Hours are ok and thats the only thing that is manageable in this company. You are constantly asked to do this and that with no decent pay incentives and you yearly pay increase is ridiculous. You read that right you get one raise a year that is if you are lucky and if you do get one its less then .30 cents. Their turn over rate is through the roof and for the people that have been here for a while are treated like cattle. The way this company works is as long as the higher ups get their bonuses and all they don't care about their employees they will replace you in a heart beat. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
Everything... Terrible management, Poor work Ethics, Do not care about their employees
Hospita Service Tech I
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
As a HST I, all I have done for the last four years of my working life with this company is clean the medical equipment and do patient rounds. At first I thought the job was a great way to advance in the medical industry, but I was wrong. For almost four years with this company I have not gotten any decent raises or a promotion. We used to get bonuses ever quarter, but that was taken away. I have been working hard trying to impress the management to get a promotion, but it was never recognized since the management constantly comes up with new rules and requirements when ever you start talking about a promotion. The management does not care about the employees and when you voice your opinion it falls on def ears. The company has no structure they are always short on medical equipment and the whole management team is unorganized.
I will be looking for another job ASAP.
Pros
Learn about medical equipment
Cons
no advancement, poor management and leadership, unorganized.
Manager in Syracuse is a crazy person
Hospital Tech (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 14, 2016
Used to be a good place to work. New manager came in and fired almost everyone in 2015. It's just a revolving door now. Best workers are all gone. Current manager is the worst person I've ever worked for and a complete liar who makes it up as she goes. She got rid of the people who tried to make a difference while she sits in an office all day and listens to music and shops on the internet.
Pros
None at this point
Cons
Manager
Truly helping others...
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2016
This job truly helps others. There is a patient on the other end of everything we do. Everybody knows we are all on the same team. I only wish the training was better.
Pros
Very competitive pay and benefits.
Cons
Need a better focus on training, The "sink or swim" mentality suffers without a "lifeguard on duty" for new employees.
This a bloated corporation
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
UHS typifies the corporate model of pleasing shareholders. During my time at this company there was very little support provided by the company to the individuals.

The measurables that they used were not customer focused but instead were only used to affect the stock price.
Pros
Great workers with good attitudes
Cons
poor management and an unorganized corporate structure
Positive Management
Hospital Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2016
UHS is a wonderful company with a great purpose. Management was awesome and I loved feeling like I was making a difference within the company. I loved my team and everyone was fun to work with. No complaints!
Pros
Great leadership and management
Cons
Could be some wage improvement
Customer Service Tech
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
I liked working with UHS, I enjoy working in a Hospital environment. I picked a new skill on how to take inventory using a hand held scanner, loading information into data base. This job did require a lot of walking which I like because I wasn't sitting the entire shift. Management treated employees with respect.
Management was very professional
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 21, 2016
work atmosphere and co-workers were great. This was a contract that I was a part of for over 5 years and we got a renewal of 5 more years due to my performance. The dirty word politics came and they force us out.
Horrible District Operation Manager along with lazy co-workers-No Leadership at all
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 18, 2016
DOM is a horrible boss wino leadership skill along with lazy people that are selfish and a terrible AE who think she runs that place-Have met multiple people have said the same thing and the turnover ratio is ridiculous
Pros
none-you will be traveling 90% of the time with no guidance or leadership
Cons
everything with that team
Productive, love helping patients
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2016
my typical day at work is helping my patients and making sure they have right supplies for their stay inside the hospital. My boss is a good person and took care of all my needs.
Pros
easy laid back enviornment
Cons
being held longer because someone is late for their shift
bad place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2016
the worst mgt ever /worked in denver for 6 horrible years just rotten company they sould be invasagated by jco and shut down they sign off on inspection paperwork that was not inspect and take it to hospital that way very bad in hospital equipment biss shame on UHS
Pros
Cons
everything
Flexible Schedule
Hospital Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WIMarch 11, 2015
I have heard a lot of things that have been going on within this work environment. Some of the things I have heard in particular is other employees talking about other employees behind their backs. I believe their is a lot of work criticism that goes on although I never hear any of it except when I ask about it from another co-worker. I enjoy working with some of the people I work with but am getting tired of the job because my hours only average about 11 hours a month. I recently found out that I don't qualify for any of the pay raises because of how I was hired on so that was quite a shock. I also don't get any PTO or holiday pay as a part timer. The only time I get paid for a holiday is if I work it.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No bonuses, No PTO, No holiday pay unless you work, not enough hours for part time
Equal opportunity employer
Hospital Service Technician/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 26, 2015
Oversee all equipment managing tasks including inspections, preventive and corrective maintenance, minor repairs, cleaning, procuring, distributing, processing, tracking, and recording of patient equipment.
The company is not supportive to the Hospital needs.
Management holds each individual accountable.
co-workers are competent.
Carrying someone else's work load.
The People
Pros
Flexible Hours/management
Cons
Compensation/ Workplace advancement
Great company
Professional Hospital Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILJanuary 22, 2015
UHS provides a great service and is easy to promote due to the quality and training they provide.
Everyday you hit the ground running and each day offers something new or challenging. In a management role you are responsible for all aspects of the department, all hours, all shifts.
Several of the positions were part time under 20 hours a week and I found the turn over was very time consuming. Schedule adjustments were consistent, overall everyone worked very well together to meet the needs required. Often times, I worked 14 to 15 hours a day on Salary.
Overall, I enjoyed my job and the experiences.
Pros
Everything I learned and experianced
Cons
I didn't get the support I needed to retain staff, less head count and full time positions would have been more appealing resulting in less turn over.
A great place to work
Asset 360 Team Member (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 19, 2015
UHS is a great place to work. Very close knit team/family oriented environment. They support initiative and independent thinking while still holding all accountable for positive customer outcomes. The people in the organization are great. There are opportunities to move around the country while advancing, or expanding experience and knowledge base. The hardest part about working for the company is their skeleton staffing work model. That just means opportunities to step up and fill the void, while showing the management what you are made of. Great Company!
Pros
401K, Medical, Dental, Team Mates
Cons
Skeleton staffing model
Terrible workplace and ethics
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
This company is by far the worst company I have worked for. Anyone seeking a career with this company be ready to work your behind off and now get anything in return. I have been with the company for almost 5 years and I am still in the same position that I started off with. I have done everything possible to learn every aspect of the business and I have even came in on my own time that I did not get paid for to do extra training and I have not received any promotion. The management team sucks all they do is feed you lies and bunch of stories on why they cannot promote people and most of the time the their story is along the lines of them being on a tight budget while the management team is constantly eating out at restaurants on the company card. Our day consists of cleaning and lying to patients about the work we do. We go to every single room in the hospital and tell the patients that we are scanning the equipment for inventory but in reality they are getting billed for it. We never have equipment that we need to do our job correctly and when things go south we are the first to be blamed even though its the managements fault for not letting us have more equipment because they want to run their utilization numbers high. I am sick and tired of this place I am glad I left. Less stress.
Fast Paced Environment with learning curve
Technician / Equipment Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOAugust 15, 2014
A typical day has me coming in around 2245 til 0730. Clocking in dressed and ready to work. Logging in patient calls from RN's in thier respected area of the hospital with fast delivery of medical equipment and/or supplies. Visiting the soiled areas and par areas throughtout the night picking up soiled equipment and dropping off clean equipment. The hardest part of the job is coming in knowing that the person before me has put me in a situation 99.9 percent of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was going above and beyond for the patients and having full knowlegde of my job from start to finish to get any amount of work load done in a 8 hour window. I loved this job
Pros
Great Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management, Team Work
Great employees
Hospital IV Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2015
Enjoyable job with a degree advancement is very possible.
Too many new training that does not help with every day account activity.
Love working with patients and being apart of the hospital.
Horrible benefits
Pros
Good hours, Good pay
Cons
Bad benefits, Job security questionable
Good place to work but sorry management
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaOctober 25, 2013
I was let go from this company after having a baby. I was told that it was because I was an On Demand employee. I worked hard for 2 years here, all the way up until the week I gave birth. The management at this location was sorry and showed favoritism to the laziest employees. I guess because they stayed in his office telling him only God knows what. I went to him a couple of times about these same people dodging work, calling out every week, leaving orders in the printer and refusing to do work. Ultimately, thats what sent me out the door, not having a baby. This is a good company to work for, this location just has BAD management.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses, holiday parties
Cons
Management is SORRY!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Hospital Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8