Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good company to work for.
Repair Technician I (Former Employee), Loves Park, ILAugust 26, 2015
I learned to work on various types of medical equipment. The hardest part of the job was meeting weekly quota. This was due in part to lack of participation by team members. The most enjoyable part of the job was the basketball hoop in the back.
Nice Company great Benefits
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee), University of Kansas HospitalAugust 20, 2015
A typical day on the job for this employer is difficult. They allow so many wrongs from people and push the consequences on everyone else. Most of the week i come in and start my rounds, which is going from patient room to room and perform maintenance checks and inventory. Afterwards, i go download my activity from my hand held wand. Then i clean the medical equipment for the rest of the night. Management was hard to deal with which is the reason for me leaving the company. My manager would talk to us with no respect at all. there was no hard part about the job.
Great employees
Hospital IV Service Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Good hours, Good pay
Cons: Bad benefits, Job security questionable
Enjoyable job with a degree advancement is very possible.
Too many new training that does not help with every day account activity.
Love working with patients and being apart of the hospital.
Horrible benefits
Productive Workplace
Hospital Service Technicians (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 27, 2015
I typical worked 2:30 to 11 pm responding to hospital calls for equipment. I learned how to work in a fast-pace environment. This was an enjoyable job.
production and fun place to work
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLJuly 1, 2015
At work, I have a lot to learn from my manager and my co -worker.
The Hardest part we have to stay late to complete a WO fi they need it.We help each other
Hospital Service Tech II (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2015
Great company to work for overall and get your foot in the door to an great healthcare career. Co-workers are great, management have a high turnover rate
Data -driven, soul-sucking grind
District Operations Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MO.June 5, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Micro-management and management by fear
To start, UHS has a reputation for sky-high turnover, especially in the field (Hospital Service Techs and Customer Service Techs). These folks are the "front line" employees who actually "make" the company money, but the pay is marginal for the work they perform.

They recently hired a new CEO who talks a good game, but time will tell if he can pull it off. I believe his arrogance will be his undoing.

Company is in a difficult spot right now due to complete turnover of corporate staff and loss of most of the tenured employees. The sad thing is that no one really seems to care.

This isn't a company where you ever feel secure, as you can be let go at any time, regardless of job performance. They have lost a LOT of good people. It's all about the money - period.

District managers spend most of their time analyzing data from company Scorecard along with various other reports, and then having to explain the results to the corporate folks. It's tedious, boring, and mind-numbing.

I love the people I work with, but HATE the work.
great place to work
Sr. Biomed Technician (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJune 5, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: nodt enough time with other employees
love all the people, great learning experience, great location
until they closed the shop I was working in than laid off.
Life
Field Service Technician (Current Employee), Richland, MSJune 2, 2015
As a technician i service equipment but I am required to perform duties as a delivery driver. I am required to participate in an oncall rotation which I have no problem performing on call because I do on call for equipment 24/7 being the only technician in Jackson. I am required to go perform deliveries after hours .
Equal opportunity employer
Hospital Service Technician/Coordinator (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours/management
Cons: Compensation/ Workplace advancement
Oversee all equipment managing tasks including inspections, preventive and corrective maintenance, minor repairs, cleaning, procuring, distributing, processing, tracking, and recording of patient equipment.
The company is not supportive to the Hospital needs.
Management holds each individual accountable.
co-workers are competent.
Carrying someone else's work load.
The People
Fine
STERILE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Eua Claire WIMay 1, 2015
My coworkers are great individuals and are willing to switch shifts when it is convenient for all parties. The difficulty with it is working with my class schedule. Not ideal for students
Great place to learn, lacks resources
Biomedical Technician I (Current Employee), Elkridge, MDApril 10, 2015
My typical day starts with checking my email and reviewing our high priority equipment report. From there I prioritize what needs to be repaired or tested for the fleet equipment. Finally I repair and test the equipment. Recently I have been doing a lot of field work which has me repairing and testing at customer accounts.

UHS rents a wide range of equipment so my work environment has allowed me to learn to repair and test various equipment types.

Management at the local office level does well with the little resources they have. Management at the corporate level has had issues with communication to their employees and local managers.

My co-workers in the biomed department are second to none. We always work together and train each other so that the job gets done correctly.

The hardest part of my job is trying to balance managing and training with my daily technician duties. The biomed manager resigned last summer and since then I have taken on most management duties for the department. I have received very little help from my management and I have not been compensated for my new responsibilities.

The most enjoyable aspect of this job is getting to learn on so many types of equipment. It has allowed me to grow as a technician and hone in on my skills.
Very time consuming and tedius job.
Customer Service Technician (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Not couped up in a building all day
Cons: On call
A typical day of work is driving from hospital to hospital, long and short distances. Also cleaning and testing equipment to get it patient ready for the next customer. I have learned quite a lot about the medical field. I have learned different types of equipment, what its purpose is and how it functions. The management of the company just really depends on the person in charge and how you work. If you are an excellent worker, as in with any job, you will have no issues and vice versa. I really don't have to deal with many coworkers, but as a whole, as long as everyone plays their role, things run smoothly. The hardest part of the job is the on call task. You never really have a chance to plan you personal life. Even when you are not on call due to if the on call person has an out of town run, you have to step in and take over in the city. The most enjoyable part are the long runs. Especially in the spring and summer when the sun is at its peak and you get to witness the beauty of the country sides the Earth has to offer.
UHS Good Medical Company
Account Executive/ Clinical Care Specialist (Current Employee), Cleveland,OH and Pittsburgh, PA territoryMarch 24, 2015
Each day has its unique challenges. Company offers a broad product line including both from rental and sales. Does not cover the home care marketplace.
A great place to work
Asset 360 Team Member (Current Employee), Houston, TexasMarch 19, 2015
Pros: 401k, medical, dental, team mates
Cons: skeleton staffing model
UHS is a great place to work. Very close knit team/family oriented environment. They support initiative and independent thinking while still holding all accountable for positive customer outcomes. The people in the organization are great. There are opportunities to move around the country while advancing, or expanding experience and knowledge base. The hardest part about working for the company is their skeleton staffing work model. That just means opportunities to step up and fill the void, while showing the management what you are made of. Great Company!
Flexible Schedule
Hospital Services Technician (Current Employee), Neenah, WIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no bonuses, no pto, no holiday pay unless you work, not enough hours for part time
I have heard a lot of things that have been going on within this work environment. Some of the things I have heard in particular is other employees talking about other employees behind their backs. I believe their is a lot of work criticism that goes on although I never hear any of it except when I ask about it from another co-worker. I enjoy working with some of the people I work with but am getting tired of the job because my hours only average about 11 hours a month. I recently found out that I don't qualify for any of the pay raises because of how I was hired on so that was quite a shock. I also don't get any PTO or holiday pay as a part timer. The only time I get paid for a holiday is if I work it.
stepping stone to learn
employee (Former Employee), california,ca.February 24, 2015
Pros: before overtime all you can, but now if you do overtime you have to make some reports everyday
Cons: low salary
best place to start your career and to start learning different things.
best place to start your career and to start learning different things.
Good place to work, no advancement
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), Wallingford, CTFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: decent pay, good management
Cons: lack of advancement/no real lunch break
If you're content with staring in one position then this job is great. For someone who is trying to grow and develop the job gets old fast. Love my boss, one of the reasons why I've stuck around for so long.
Great co-workers, but over worked
Hospital Service Representative (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 19, 2015
Most of the time we are short staffed. Manager doesn't seem to understand the workload that we take. Job description was different from what the task is at hand.
Great part time job
Customer Service Technician (Current Employee), Cleveand Ohio and surrounding areaFebruary 19, 2015
I have been working at UHS for two years on a part time basis. I can tell you I love the job and would like it to be full time. However that opportunity is not available. The company is a great place to work management is easy to get along with.
Headquarters