Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Physically Challenging
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Robbinsdale, MNMarch 7, 2017
Team work in a fast paced and physically demanding environment. Self starter strong organizational and priority driven abilities. If you like to walk for hours on end averaging about 20 miles a day. Like to clean very much like doing dishes all day. Like to go in sick patients rooms to inventory the equipment daily than this is the job for you.
Pros
not sitting in an office able to move around and be on your own accord.
Cons
No down time constantly on the move may lack opporunity for a break.
Good opportunity with career advancement.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCMarch 1, 2017
I worked for UHS for about 2 years. I started as an On Demand employee, where I worked as needed. After 10 months, without a degree, I was promoted to Supervisor based off of hard work and knowledge of the job responsibilities. There was always work that needed to be done. Very busy and critical work environment, which is good for me. Hardest part was managing others. Most enjoyable part was helping patients get back to good health.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Critical environment
UHS is an enjoyable company to work for.
Customer service technician (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILFebruary 17, 2017
UHS is an enjoyable company to work for. UHS is understanding when you are dealing with a major family crisis. Pay and compensation are on par for required education and experience.
Stay away from this company!!!
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 9, 2017
One of the worst companys to work for the pay is great but to deal with management and all the changing guidlines isnt enough to compensate. The boss who i had was very unprofessional and wouldn't allow other employees to use PTO or schedule off even months in advance. God for bid you even call out sick! And on top of that YOU had to find the coverage not the boss. Which in my years of retail and other companies was a first! Stay away from this company as much as possible.
Pros
Hospital experience and high pay
Cons
Bad management, refusing time off, horrible co workers, no benefits as part time, no room for advancement, harassment off the job, just a bad company :(
Horrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, CA 91352February 2, 2017
Extremely under paid for work given, Was told after an 8 hour shift to drive up to Sacramento and back the same night to deliver a unit needed for the next day. Told to not have any overtime, if worked over time i had to break it up and place it on days worked or forced a day off so overtime was not paid
Good company
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 1, 2017
good pay. easy job and they will work with your schedule. They have holiday parties. you get raises and reviews often. you also get hospital discounts on food out the cafe
Ok to start out in
Fixed Asset Accountant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 30, 2017
Not a horrible company, but not for anyone looking for a place to stay long term. Sales and operations not really in sync with each other. Communication is iffy... depends on what C-level person is providing the communication. Company depends on "home-grown" programs yet outsourced the help desk.

My department team was wonderful and my immediate manager was the best. Cross-departmental communication and teamwork is hit or miss.

Good place to get your feet wet for about 3 years, but probably not where you want to retire from.
Uhs
Anesthesia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 19, 2017
It was really good working for UHS but when management changed it got hard on all the veterans and eventually they shut down our Arlington banch.
Company with Integrity
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me is the on-call. This is a 24/7 company and we deliver all types of equipment to our customers within a 2 hour + drive time. This includes 1000 lb bariatric beds and for a 55 year old woman it is not easy.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They call and know that I'm able to help them - going above and beyond.
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
On-Call
Supervisors/managmnt is great
Hospital Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2017
This is a great company to work for ... the supervisors are very supportive. Always there to assist you.
95% of the company is great
Pros
Cons
salary
Poor leadership, 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year
Clinical Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
Poor leadership, I had 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year and there were many leadership changes from the CEO to front line staff in a very short amount of months. No one really knew what role they wanted the Clinical Solutions Sales RN to provide.
Don't bother.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 24, 2016
Low pay. Terrible work/life balance. Expensive health/dental/vision. No vacation. No room for growth.

This job was was fine to start me off in a new state, but I quit once I found a higher paying job with benefits, vacation, and a Mon-Fri schedule.

This job will wear you down. On your days off you will want to do nothing but sleep.

This job might be okay for someone who is in their early twenties or lives with their parents, but does not fit well with someone who has a busy life outside of work.
Pros
Long lunches, being left alone, discount on cafeteria food
Cons
Exhausting shifts, too much work for low pay, being shorthanded
This a bloated corporation
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
UHS typifies the corporate model of pleasing shareholders. During my time at this company there was very little support provided by the company to the individuals.

The measurables that they used were not customer focused but instead were only used to affect the stock price.
Pros
Great workers with good attitudes
Cons
poor management and an unorganized corporate structure
Manager in Syracuse is a crazy person
Hospital Tech (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 14, 2016
Used to be a good place to work. New manager came in and fired almost everyone in 2015. It's just a revolving door now. Best workers are all gone. Current manager is the worst person I've ever worked for and a complete liar who makes it up as she goes. She got rid of the people who tried to make a difference while she sits in an office all day and listens to music and shops on the internet.
Pros
None at this point
Cons
Manager
Positive Management
Hospital Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2016
UHS is a wonderful company with a great purpose. Management was awesome and I loved feeling like I was making a difference within the company. I loved my team and everyone was fun to work with. No complaints!
Pros
Great leadership and management
Cons
Could be some wage improvement
Management was very professional
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 21, 2016
work atmosphere and co-workers were great. This was a contract that I was a part of for over 5 years and we got a renewal of 5 more years due to my performance. The dirty word politics came and they force us out.
eswl
ESWL (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2016
Poor training if not nonexistent training. Expected to be on their beck and call without standby pay. Poor benefits poor pay. If you work for this company do so short term not a good long range career.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Nearly every aspect
Productive, love helping patients
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2016
my typical day at work is helping my patients and making sure they have right supplies for their stay inside the hospital. My boss is a good person and took care of all my needs.
Pros
easy laid back enviornment
Cons
being held longer because someone is late for their shift
Customer Service Tech
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
I liked working with UHS, I enjoy working in a Hospital environment. I picked a new skill on how to take inventory using a hand held scanner, loading information into data base. This job did require a lot of walking which I like because I wasn't sitting the entire shift. Management treated employees with respect.
bad place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2016
the worst mgt ever /worked in denver for 6 horrible years just rotten company they sould be invasagated by jco and shut down they sign off on inspection paperwork that was not inspect and take it to hospital that way very bad in hospital equipment biss shame on UHS
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Hospital Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8