Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Anmed Health Contractor (Former Employee), Anderson, scNovember 28, 2012
It was a great place to work. Fun enviroment, great hours, great people that you worked with.
Easy if you are a college student
HST 1 (Current Employee), Childrens Hospital of AlabamaNovember 4, 2012
Pros: easy, great job while in school!
Cons: a heard voice as an employee
The job is what you make it. Its the people that make it difficult. The issues I am sure are common. You do what you're suppose to do but you always have that few that do not follow the rules or do what they are being paid for.
Great work environment
Hospital Operations Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TexasSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: exposure to individuals at various levels within the hospital and working with the public.
Cons: limited opportunities for growth
I was responsible for overseeing the delivery, processing, and inventory levels of several pieces of movable medical equipment within the hospital.
Understanding the needs of each department was critical to operational success, as each had unique needs.
I enjoyed building relationships with the Nurse Managers, developing my staff, and interacting with – more... hospital patients. – less
Universal Hospital Services
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee), West Columbia, SCAugust 29, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: 24 hr on call schedule
Great company but no room for advancement.Universal Hospital Services is composed of many different states but dependent upon each district office there is no level of honor or integrity.
Excellent company
Senior Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, MDAugust 24, 2012
Pros: travelling, opportunities to meet with the executive management, wonderful and caring staff.
Cons: could not find any....
UHS is a unique company that I have worked for. The experience and the staff are all excellent and foster the team spirit. Although the company, had to downsize, it is still one of the main private companies that has great benefits.
Productive abd fast past environment
HST 1 (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 22, 2012
Pros: the environment was wonderful
Cons: the manager was not fair
I learned how to handle patients and their loved ones. I loved jus being around the hospitals atmopsphere.
Very family friendly company that provides a great place to work
Biomedical Technician I (Current Employee), Machesney Park, ILAugust 14, 2012
Pros: great working environment, flexibility
Cons: little room for advancement
The job consists of repairing medical equipment from different vendors and customers in the health industry. The management is active and knowledgable. The company has a great work environment and very family friendly. There is always a challenge on completing projects with specific deadlines.
Great Starter company
Technical Services Supervisor (Current Employee), N/AJuly 26, 2012
UHS is a great place to learn but often involves long hours and lack of organization. Best part is constant new equipment and challenges but the worst part is huge lack of respect or understanding for technical positions.
Enjoyed working with physicians, staff, and patients.
Hospital Operations Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 11, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: long hours
Rewarding position in helping others. Hired and trained all new staff.
Fun fast pace environment in UHS.
Hospital Service Technician ll-Shift leader (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 1, 2012
Pros: coworkers
Cons: poor management
A typical day as a Hospital Service Tech. would first start out with coming in and starting your daily inventory rounds of equipment that are being used by the patients. From there on the day consisted of delivering equipment to patients all around the hospital, and bringing back the dirty equipment to clean them. It was a fast pace environment but – more... it was not stressful because we knew how to balance and split our work load with our coworkers. I loved the people I worked with, and I loved the hospital environment because I got to meet a lot of patients, staff, and guest. – less
Constantly changing work environment providing unique experience in many areas of accounting
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Edina, MNJune 6, 2012
A great company to gain quick experience in many areas of accounting.
Organization Lacking Compass
Sales (Former Employee), FieldMay 21, 2012
Pros: fewer every year, good place to learn about medical equipment.
Cons: inside corporate politics, eroding employee benefits, corp vs. field culture.
Great place to learn about wide array of medical equipment. Strong team culture in field.

Organization is in continual state of change for the sake of change. Organizational structure is an amoeba. High employee turn over. Senior management does not value individual employees. Only as a whole.

Make too much money you become target for being reorganized – more... out of organization and replaced by inexperience person. Unintentional consequence is age discrimination.

Company is primarily operations driven. Sales force strategy is geared toward order takers. Account reps used to have $70 - $80K base plus commission. New account managers start in $40Ks and effectively cap total earnings potentional below $80K. Long term account reps also phased out of organizations by terriitory sales budget increases.

Lots of "gotchas" related to commission payouts. Error in favor of company and against sales person. Commission structure not trackable.

Mid-senior level management like deer in headlights if asked to make individual decision. Management by consensus prevails and is culture. Promotion for senior corporate managment is generally outside organization and never from field.

Majority of senior management are attorneys. Stiffles creativity. Company was once customer focused. Now tends to see what customer can do for company. State can't do something rather than figure out how it can be done.

CFO does not like or understand biomedical equipment service. Therefore this segment of company not valued. – less
Loved driving all over the state
Driver/Tech (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 30, 2012
A typical day at work would start at 8:00 A.M. and end some time in the evening. I loved traveling all over the state and meeting new people.
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee), Lanham, MDApril 13, 2012
Pros: busy so time goes by really fast
Cons: supervisor isnt the best at supporting his team
Pretty busy between answering call for deliveries along with taking inventory and cleaning
Very demanding, short staffed, on call 24-7, and lack of team work.
Certified Service Technician (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARApril 11, 2012
Pros: occasional company paid lunch's, company credit card, paid certification's, and a company cell phone.
Cons: extremely long hrs and poor health insurance.
I would get to work perform my weekly coordinator paperwork and then work on my other QA's (Quarterly Assignment's). Next I would check all the order's that we had at the time and designate which driver was going to what city and hospital. Then have them get the appropriate unit's to dispatch them before I had to start my runs.

I learned a great deal – more... about how hospital's actually acquire their medical equipment and I learned how to repair and perform preventative maintenece on all kinds of medical equipment (Life support and non life support.

Management in my opinion was out of sync with each other. The main Operation's manager was out of town all of the time and he and the supervisor were never on the same page. Basically a break down in communication.

The hardest part of the job was being on call so much not being able to spend time with my family and on the days that I wasn't on call still having to work 13 to 14 hrs. We were just understaffed to a very bad degree.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people and constantly learning new training. – less
Long hours if you want them. Lots of call hours, too.
Customer service technition (Former Employee), Centinnial, COFebruary 5, 2012
Pros: lots of overtime hours.
Cons: you will be working long, hard days with no time for lunch breaks, usually.
If you are applying for a CST position, be prepared to work plenty of overtime. A typical day will be long, strenuous and in contact with lots of dirty hospital equipment. But if it's hours you need, they got 'em!
There an amazing company.
Supervisor/sterile technician (Former Employee), Good samaritan Hospital(Los Angeles)January 12, 2012
Pros: benefits and great work ethics.
Cons: great hours and staff.
UHS is a very well rounded company that is surely there for it's employee's.

May 18, 2012

Biomedical services takes a back seat at UHS. They fail to promote the business even though they say they are a leader in the field.

June 2, 2012

The use of the term "well rounded" is juxtaposed to the misuse of apostrophes and is consistant with management false flag commentary.

August 24, 2012

UHS in Anaheim location just keep repeating their post but rarely to hire new employee don’t wasting your time to apply for this position.

A will known Company in Hospital Planing
CAD Equipment Planner & System Support (Former Employee), AmmanMay 26, 2013
Highly Qualified Company in Hospital Planing.
I've Learned alot in Medical Equipment Planing & Hospiatl Furnishing.

About Universal Hospital Services, Inc.

Universal Hospital Services, Inc. (UHS) is a leading provider of medical equipment management and service solutions to the US – Read more