Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Uhs
Anesthesia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 19, 2017
It was really good working for UHS but when management changed it got hard on all the veterans and eventually they shut down our Arlington banch.
Company with Integrity
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me is the on-call. This is a 24/7 company and we deliver all types of equipment to our customers within a 2 hour + drive time. This includes 1000 lb bariatric beds and for a 55 year old woman it is not easy.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. They call and know that I'm able to help them - going above and beyond.
Pros
Great Manager
Cons
On-Call
Supervisors/managmnt is great
Hospital Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2017
This is a great company to work for ... the supervisors are very supportive. Always there to assist you.
95% of the company is great
Pros
Cons
salary
Poor leadership, 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year
Clinical Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
Poor leadership, I had 5 direct leadership changes within 1 year and there were many leadership changes from the CEO to front line staff in a very short amount of months. No one really knew what role they wanted the Clinical Solutions Sales RN to provide.
Don't bother.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 24, 2016
Low pay. Terrible work/life balance. Expensive health/dental/vision. No vacation. No room for growth.

This job was was fine to start me off in a new state, but I quit once I found a higher paying job with benefits, vacation, and a Mon-Fri schedule.

This job will wear you down. On your days off you will want to do nothing but sleep.

This job might be okay for someone who is in their early twenties or lives with their parents, but does not fit well with someone who has a busy life outside of work.
Pros
Long lunches, being left alone, discount on cafeteria food
Cons
Exhausting shifts, too much work for low pay, being shorthanded
This a bloated corporation
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
UHS typifies the corporate model of pleasing shareholders. During my time at this company there was very little support provided by the company to the individuals.

The measurables that they used were not customer focused but instead were only used to affect the stock price.
Pros
Great workers with good attitudes
Cons
poor management and an unorganized corporate structure
Manager in Syracuse is a crazy person
Hospital Tech (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 14, 2016
Used to be a good place to work. New manager came in and fired almost everyone in 2015. It's just a revolving door now. Best workers are all gone. Current manager is the worst person I've ever worked for and a complete liar who makes it up as she goes. She got rid of the people who tried to make a difference while she sits in an office all day and listens to music and shops on the internet.
Pros
None at this point
Cons
Manager
Positive Management
Hospital Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 28, 2016
UHS is a wonderful company with a great purpose. Management was awesome and I loved feeling like I was making a difference within the company. I loved my team and everyone was fun to work with. No complaints!
Pros
Great leadership and management
Cons
Could be some wage improvement
Management was very professional
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 21, 2016
work atmosphere and co-workers were great. This was a contract that I was a part of for over 5 years and we got a renewal of 5 more years due to my performance. The dirty word politics came and they force us out.
eswl
ESWL (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2016
Poor training if not nonexistent training. Expected to be on their beck and call without standby pay. Poor benefits poor pay. If you work for this company do so short term not a good long range career.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Nearly every aspect
Productive, love helping patients
Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2016
my typical day at work is helping my patients and making sure they have right supplies for their stay inside the hospital. My boss is a good person and took care of all my needs.
Pros
easy laid back enviornment
Cons
being held longer because someone is late for their shift
Customer Service Tech
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2016
I liked working with UHS, I enjoy working in a Hospital environment. I picked a new skill on how to take inventory using a hand held scanner, loading information into data base. This job did require a lot of walking which I like because I wasn't sitting the entire shift. Management treated employees with respect.
bad place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2016
the worst mgt ever /worked in denver for 6 horrible years just rotten company they sould be invasagated by jco and shut down they sign off on inspection paperwork that was not inspect and take it to hospital that way very bad in hospital equipment biss shame on UHS
Pros
Cons
everything
Horrible District Operation Manager along with lazy co-workers-No Leadership at all
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 18, 2016
DOM is a horrible boss wino leadership skill along with lazy people that are selfish and a terrible AE who think she runs that place-Have met multiple people have said the same thing and the turnover ratio is ridiculous
Pros
none-you will be traveling 90% of the time with no guidance or leadership
Cons
everything with that team
Worst Place to Work
Hospital Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
For the people that work for this company in Houston and have given this company a good review, you are a sorry liar. This company is terrible. The management team is always doing some shady stuff and always beating around the bush. To elaborate on my statement; the management team always gives you excuses why you are not being promoted and there is constantly new requirements that you have to meet. When you meet those requirements then there is something wrong with you and when you fix what they told you there is another story or requirement you have to meet. Hours are ok and thats the only thing that is manageable in this company. You are constantly asked to do this and that with no decent pay incentives and you yearly pay increase is ridiculous. You read that right you get one raise a year that is if you are lucky and if you do get one its less then .30 cents. Their turn over rate is through the roof and for the people that have been here for a while are treated like cattle. The way this company works is as long as the higher ups get their bonuses and all they don't care about their employees they will replace you in a heart beat. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
Everything... Terrible management, Poor work Ethics, Do not care about their employees
Horrible!
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYMarch 22, 2016
I worked at the University of Kentucky site for about 5 months and the management is horrible. The first shift lead makes you want to pull your hair out! She's negative! The morale is extremely low!! If you are trying to transfer out of this location they will keep you from leaving by lying and "losing" paperwork!
Pros
people you work with
accomendating for student
Hospital service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHMarch 18, 2016
this company is very accomadating for a person thats in school, the work with me really well while I was attending nursing school and how nursing school has all type of crazy hours they paid me well and I was still able to switch up my schedule the way I wanted to accomendate school.
Pros
accomendations between work and schools
Cons
no room for growth in company
Terrible workplace and ethics
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2016
This company is by far the worst company I have worked for. Anyone seeking a career with this company be ready to work your behind off and now get anything in return. I have been with the company for almost 5 years and I am still in the same position that I started off with. I have done everything possible to learn every aspect of the business and I have even came in on my own time that I did not get paid for to do extra training and I have not received any promotion. The management team sucks all they do is feed you lies and bunch of stories on why they cannot promote people and most of the time the their story is along the lines of them being on a tight budget while the management team is constantly eating out at restaurants on the company card. Our day consists of cleaning and lying to patients about the work we do. We go to every single room in the hospital and tell the patients that we are scanning the equipment for inventory but in reality they are getting billed for it. We never have equipment that we need to do our job correctly and when things go south we are the first to be blamed even though its the managements fault for not letting us have more equipment because they want to run their utilization numbers high. I am sick and tired of this place I am glad I left. Less stress.
Truly helping others...
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 6, 2016
This job truly helps others. There is a patient on the other end of everything we do. Everybody knows we are all on the same team. I only wish the training was better.
Pros
Very competitive pay and benefits.
Cons
Need a better focus on training, The "sink or swim" mentality suffers without a "lifeguard on duty" for new employees.
Unique,challenging business model
BMET (Former Employee) –  MPLS, MNFebruary 2, 2016
I know other reviews have been harsh but UHS is really not an employee friendly company.
This is a service company only and not the greatest service at that. No vision at top management on where they want to take the company, only to squeeze every penny out for another quick sale so the top people can ride off into the sunset.
Technical training is hit or miss at the district office because seasoned employees have no way to account for time except for working on equipment.
As a technical employee you are really only valued for the amount of pieces you put out each day and nothing else that you may contribute on your own initiative.
If you are technical employee the only situation where you may want to consider UHS is to get your feet wet in Biomed., but you will be hired on as a temp. or on-demand. I would only recommend taking a job there if you are extremely desperate. The caustic environment is not worth it otherwize.
Pros
Donuts on Fridays and occasional free lunches to make people feel better
Cons
Hostile employee environment. Seems that everyone feels threatened.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Hospital Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8