Universal McCann Employee Reviews

The new presidency - changed everything
SVP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
While at UM, there was a sense of belonging. The open seating contributed to open thinking. When the new president for NA took over, she was often in a conference room, and to speak you needed to book time with a PA.

It became a very cliquish atmosphere and those that came from J3 seemed to have all the cards stacked in their favor. Lots of attrition as people left unhappy with corporate culture.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No corporate culture
Awful managers and managerial system
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2017
This company herds recent college graduates in like cattle to become Portfolio Associates or in reality, assistants to media buyers. The pay is really low. Depending on how long you last or choose to stay, you can rise to Senior Portfolio Associate, when the pay is only a little better, If you stay at this for a few years you will possibly get to become a Portfolio Manager, or media buyer. This way of advancing wasn't entirely for me, and I don't know if it is for everyone else because there were constantly new faces in the office and a very healthy turnover rate.

My big issue was with how inadequate my manager was at being a manager. My manager did not know how to utilize me and basically wasted my talents. Though the workplace is really relaxed, and you can wear jeans and sneakers to work, the managerial system is really bad there!
Traffic
Freelance Media Traffic/Media Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2017
Generated media traffic reports and created flowcharts for media planning using Excel and pivot tables for clients including Sony Pictures and IHOP, while learning media trends and what's effective
Toxic Environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
A typical day at work is busy in a negative and toxic space. I learned as much I as I was able to from lean in opportunities. Management however is not as knowledgeable in the media space as you would think or hope. Workplace cultural is exclusive, not inclusive. Hardest part of the job is meeting client expectations on top of the toxic and negative work environment. Most enjoyable part is working on exciting campaigns with open minded clients
Pros
Free lunch, summer days, free soda, health benefits
Cons
employee exclusivity, negative energy/unhappy/overworked employees
Very cool, friendly, and fun place
Client Service Coordinator, Integrated Investment (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10001June 6, 2017
My boss is awesome. I've learned alot about the industry. Everyone is super friendly and excited to meet new people. And it is in a great location for commuters.
Great Co-workers in a minimal work/life balance atmosphere
Associate, Portfolio Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
Worked with some of the greatest co-workers I have had yet. Upper management was almost non existant on my team specifically, and it was hard to make any career advancements.
Pros
Great people, cool office, good benefits
Cons
Salaries are low, minimal work/life balance
Great company culture, great people
VP, Partner, Integrated Investment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2017
Strong senior leadership with lots of intelligent people leading the way. Level of work and number of hours varies by account but work-life balance is good.
Pros
Great PTO policy, Most managers are very understanding when it comes to needing time to attend to personal matters.
Cons
There is no clearly defined process for advancement, Positions are often filled before most of the company realizes there is an opening.
Depending on your team/client, it could be a nightmare
Portfolio Management Associate (Media Planner) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2017
It could be a great place to work, or a nightmare due to having multiple clients and multiple teams with their own individual culture/values. Not a place to stay with in the long run - you get in and you get out.
Pros
Great clients and well-known agency
Cons
work/life balance, no care for personal health, churn and burn
Good Place to Work
Sr Associate Planner, NY (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 16, 2016
UM's culture is strong with handling client relationships and introducing new technologies and innovative ad programs.
Fun place to work, great people.
Manager, Digital Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2016
DCM was the primary ad server we used during my tenure at UM.
The bulk of reporting fell to Analytics, but often the ops team was brought in. Debugging and QA are also high on the list of OP's responsibilities, Ops was tasked with making sure everything goes as planned from a technical perspective.
Fun and exciting environment but very high turnover
Associate, Integrated Investment (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 25, 2016
UM is a great company to have on a resume. Lots of great, diverse accounts and young, hard-working people. High turnover rate is due to very low salaries and hard work not getting acknowledged.
Good Atmosphere
Senior Media Planner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIApril 18, 2016
Good place to work, I would for sure come back if given the opportunity. Good people and good work/life balance In a great location and no b.s.
Great work environment
Senior Associate, Integrated Investment US Army (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2016
Great people to work with, good work/life balance

Moving toward more integrated buying but still silo'd

Career advancement training is kind of left up to employee
Fun place to work... if you DON'T have a family
Broadcast Negotiator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2015
Great, great, great work culture. You feel like you have a say in your job and duties in the company. Great parties and mixers in office and hosted by clients and vendors all year long! Hey, let's have ice cream and margaritas because it's TUESDAY!

Long hours and sometimes unmanageable work loads can cause wear and tear to the personal life... especially for someone who has spouse and kids.
Pros
free food ALL DAY and great mixers
Cons
long hours and pay doesn't meet the competition
Good Culture, no communication from uppen management
senior manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, MINovember 17, 2015
If you're not in a particular crowd you have no idea of what's going on within the company. There is a lack of communication in leadership.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No room for advancement unless you threaten to quit
Average Management
Senior Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Management was average and there were many structural changes taking place at the time of my employment. I was on over ten accounts with no assistant (no budget for it). I left after a year.
Fresh out of collegue
Media Buyer National Broadcast (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
This was my first job out of college, it was a great introduction to the media business. There is a lot of perks, a lot of parties and restaurants. You get to meet celebrities and famous stars to get buyers to invest in their shows during the upfront. There is a lot of work, but it is fun for when you are young...
Awesome group of co-workers...Management...not so much
Executive Assistant to President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Co-workers were incredible. To this day I am still in contact with many of them. Management on the other hand had such an incredible amount of turn around that I felt the company did not have the leadership it needed. Maybe it has changed since my time there. I certainly hope so.
Pros
Great people, great bennies and salary
Cons
Management turnover made you feel unsafe
Creative work environment
Freelance Video Editor / Videographer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
Universal McCan is a creative, fun, and encouraging work environment. The office space is open and very conducive to collaboration.
Nice work environment
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATE MEDIA DIRECTOR (MICROSOFT) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2014
Fast paced environment with very talented people.
UMSF combines the advantage of the mid-size company and the benefits of the broader Mediabrands group expertise.