Universal McCann Employee Reviews

Good Culture, no communication from uppen management
senior manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, MINovember 17, 2015
If you're not in a particular crowd you have no idea of what's going on within the company. There is a lack of communication in leadership.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No room for advancement unless you threaten to quit
Average Management
Senior Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Management was average and there were many structural changes taking place at the time of my employment. I was on over ten accounts with no assistant (no budget for it). I left after a year.
Fresh out of collegue
Media Buyer National Broadcast (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
This was my first job out of college, it was a great introduction to the media business. There is a lot of perks, a lot of parties and restaurants. You get to meet celebrities and famous stars to get buyers to invest in their shows during the upfront. There is a lot of work, but it is fun for when you are young...
Awesome group of co-workers...Management...not so much
Executive Assistant to President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Co-workers were incredible. To this day I am still in contact with many of them. Management on the other hand had such an incredible amount of turn around that I felt the company did not have the leadership it needed. Maybe it has changed since my time there. I certainly hope so.
Pros
Great people, great bennies and salary
Cons
Management turnover made you feel unsafe
Creative work environment
Freelance Video Editor / Videographer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
Universal McCan is a creative, fun, and encouraging work environment. The office space is open and very conducive to collaboration.
Nice work environment
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATE MEDIA DIRECTOR (MICROSOFT) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2014
Fast paced environment with very talented people.
UMSF combines the advantage of the mid-size company and the benefits of the broader Mediabrands group expertise.
Excellent staff and resources
Manager, Integrated Investment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2014
While every day at UM was very different, most days involved time sensitive adjustments to media plans pursuant to evolving client priorities. My experience at UM was invaluable, and overall I would say that the most important lesson was how to identify, access and utilize large agency resources to fulfill client objectives. Management excelled at creating a positive work environment where proactive and self-starting employees thrived, to which co-workers responded positively. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet client objectives as fully as I would have liked to, due to insufficient staff levels. My favorite part of my job was working with the client and partner agencies to facilitate unique marketing executions.
Best Decision I ever made
Assistant Digital Planner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2014
UM could not have been better. It was progressive, communal and a family.
Open work space, bad communication, not much concern for entry level employees, upper management is pretty clueless
Associate, Integrated Investment (Media Buying) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
The pay makes it impossible to live in the city if your parents aren't paying for you and you have student debt. Being a commuter in this office is hard. Door to door, my average day is 12 hours. We have to wait to be dismissed like children. The work is very tedious. middle management is mediocre and upper management is totally oblivious. The perks are not worth it, and the communication is awful!
Pros
free parties
Cons
almost everything else
Productive workplace
Portfolio Management Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
Universal McCann is a productive place to work, has intelligent leadership, and is innovative.
Fun place to work with a lot of perks
Media Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2014
As a television media buyer at Universal McCann you deal with television networks on a daily basis in order to place your clients ads in the best programming to reach the target demographic. This job come with a lot of entertaining perks to build relationships with network sale people.
Pros
free lunches, sport tickets, dinners
Cons
demanding deadlines, long hours.
Great Place to Learn About Renewable Energies
Associate, Portfolio Management (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 17, 2013
-Great job while in college
-Learned about renewable energies industry
Pros
free lunch, great people, lenient with work hours
Cons
no benefits
Great Company
VP Partner, Integrated Investment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2013
Great company with lots of opportunities based on the large size. Employees are friendly, and create a fun environment to work in.
Fun Place to work
Assistant Media Buyer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIJuly 9, 2013
Work Hard Play Hard
Management were great and understanding, loved my co workers. Work load could be overwhelming but worth it.
Pros
lots of pto
Cons
wages
Learned key things not the environment for me
Media Planner/ Senior Media Planner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2013
I learned all my fundamentals here. I was able to gain the where with all to know the media industry in all angles as I specialized in strategy with all media.
Pros
great perks, interesting environment
Cons
management, salary, work hours.
new experience for the life
Digital Director (Former Employee) –  Bolivia,May 30, 2013
Bolivia is a undeveloped market in south americas for that reason the work quality is not the best.
Pros
good clients
Cons
any benefits
Great open atmosphere, friendly office, fun work environment and a lot of perks.
Integrated Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2013
I loved working here, it was indeed a glamour job because the Network Television supervisors at CBS, NBC, ABC, etc would come bribe us to get us to buy their ad space and the hours were sometimes long but the uncluttered office space and overall vibe was fantastic. I love being organized and making to do lists. I LOVE Outlook, I loved the routine of the job and how I knew my role and what was expected. The hardest part was when emergencies would come up and we'd have to do our best to manage on our own but I learned a lot about decision making and further sharpened my attention to detail.
Great offline and online integrations
Integrated Senior Strategist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2013
Overall I enjoyed my time at Universal mcCann (J3). J3 was a very small tight knight environment, where learning new skills and media opportunities was highly encouraged on a daily basis.
Strong Company in a Competitive Atmosphere
Assistant Media Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2013
Challenging, high paced company that brings out the very best in every employee.
Pros
professionalism
Cons
amount of employees
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Budget Analyst (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2012
Working at UM gave me a sense of responsibility and freedom to do my job. It abled me the freedom to think,problem solve with the support of my team.
Pros
various workshops and classes provided for growth
Cons
last minute prodject changes