Universal McCann Employee Reviews

Depending on your team/client, it could be a nightmare
Portfolio Management Associate (Media Planner) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2017
It could be a great place to work, or a nightmare due to having multiple clients and multiple teams with their own individual culture/values. Not a place to stay with in the long run - you get in and you get out.
Pros
Great clients and well-known agency
Cons
work/life balance, no care for personal health, churn and burn
Fun place to work, great people.
Manager, Digital Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2016
DCM was the primary ad server we used during my tenure at UM.
The bulk of reporting fell to Analytics, but often the ops team was brought in. Debugging and QA are also high on the list of OP's responsibilities, Ops was tasked with making sure everything goes as planned from a technical perspective.
Good Place to Work
Sr Associate Planner, NY (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 16, 2016
UM's culture is strong with handling client relationships and introducing new technologies and innovative ad programs.
Great work environment
Senior Associate, Integrated Investment US Army (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2016
Great people to work with, good work/life balance

Moving toward more integrated buying but still silo'd

Career advancement training is kind of left up to employee
Fun place to work... if you DON'T have a family
Broadcast Negotiator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2015
Great, great, great work culture. You feel like you have a say in your job and duties in the company. Great parties and mixers in office and hosted by clients and vendors all year long! Hey, let's have ice cream and margaritas because it's TUESDAY!

Long hours and sometimes unmanageable work loads can cause wear and tear to the personal life... especially for someone who has spouse and kids.
Pros
free food ALL DAY and great mixers
Cons
long hours and pay doesn't meet the competition
Good Atmosphere
Senior Media Planner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, MIApril 18, 2016
Good place to work, I would for sure come back if given the opportunity. Good people and good work/life balance In a great location and no b.s.
Awesome group of co-workers...Management...not so much
Executive Assistant to President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Co-workers were incredible. To this day I am still in contact with many of them. Management on the other hand had such an incredible amount of turn around that I felt the company did not have the leadership it needed. Maybe it has changed since my time there. I certainly hope so.
Pros
Great people, great bennies and salary
Cons
Management turnover made you feel unsafe
Fresh out of collegue
Media Buyer National Broadcast (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2015
This was my first job out of college, it was a great introduction to the media business. There is a lot of perks, a lot of parties and restaurants. You get to meet celebrities and famous stars to get buyers to invest in their shows during the upfront. There is a lot of work, but it is fun for when you are young...
Good Culture, no communication from uppen management
senior manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, MINovember 17, 2015
If you're not in a particular crowd you have no idea of what's going on within the company. There is a lack of communication in leadership.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No room for advancement unless you threaten to quit
Open work space, bad communication, not much concern for entry level employees, upper management is pretty clueless
Associate, Integrated Investment (Media Buying) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
The pay makes it impossible to live in the city if your parents aren't paying for you and you have student debt. Being a commuter in this office is hard. Door to door, my average day is 12 hours. We have to wait to be dismissed like children. The work is very tedious. middle management is mediocre and upper management is totally oblivious. The perks are not worth it, and the communication is awful!
Pros
Free parties
Cons
Almost everything else
Average Management
Senior Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Management was average and there were many structural changes taking place at the time of my employment. I was on over ten accounts with no assistant (no budget for it). I left after a year.
Informative and overall a good enviorment to work
Financial Budget Analyst (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2012
Daily tasks keeping clients campiagns within budget by billing and runing financial reporting. I learned that sometimes management don't know the amount of time and effort some tasks take before they implement changes.the co-wokers were plesant and came to work. the hardest part of the job was dealing with a manager that didn't know how to be a leader. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to solve issues that the media planners had. And of course their social events.
Pros
provide on going training sessions
Cons
temporary position
Great open atmosphere, friendly office, fun work environment and a lot of perks.
Integrated Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2013
I loved working here, it was indeed a glamour job because the Network Television supervisors at CBS, NBC, ABC, etc would come bribe us to get us to buy their ad space and the hours were sometimes long but the uncluttered office space and overall vibe was fantastic. I love being organized and making to do lists. I LOVE Outlook, I loved the routine of the job and how I knew my role and what was expected. The hardest part was when emergencies would come up and we'd have to do our best to manage on our own but I learned a lot about decision making and further sharpened my attention to detail.
Excellent staff and resources
Manager, Integrated Investment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2014
While every day at UM was very different, most days involved time sensitive adjustments to media plans pursuant to evolving client priorities. My experience at UM was invaluable, and overall I would say that the most important lesson was how to identify, access and utilize large agency resources to fulfill client objectives. Management excelled at creating a positive work environment where proactive and self-starting employees thrived, to which co-workers responded positively. The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet client objectives as fully as I would have liked to, due to insufficient staff levels. My favorite part of my job was working with the client and partner agencies to facilitate unique marketing executions.
Fun place to work with a lot of perks
Media Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2014
As a television media buyer at Universal McCann you deal with television networks on a daily basis in order to place your clients ads in the best programming to reach the target demographic. This job come with a lot of entertaining perks to build relationships with network sale people.
Pros
Free lunches, sport tickets, dinners
Cons
Demanding deadlines, long hours.
Excellent work enviornment with a great overview on the entire media industry
Senior Integrated Investment Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2012
Media buying across multiple platforms
-TV
-Place Based (OOH)
-Digital

Learn everything from logistics to data entry.
Learn how to negotiate and maintain buys.

Extremely helpful team environment to learn from.
Pros
excellent management, room to grow
Cons
working on one account
Promotes learning at all levels
Digital Media Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2012
Universal McCann is doing a great job integrating planning, buying and digital with a 360 degree view of media. The company promotes learning opportunities across the board at all levels but employees cannot always take advantage as many teams are under-staffed.
Pros
free food everyday!
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Budget Analyst (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2012
Working at UM gave me a sense of responsibility and freedom to do my job. It abled me the freedom to think,problem solve with the support of my team.
Pros
various workshops and classes provided for growth
Cons
last minute prodject changes
Learned key things not the environment for me
Media Planner/ Senior Media Planner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2013
I learned all my fundamentals here. I was able to gain the where with all to know the media industry in all angles as I specialized in strategy with all media.
Pros
great perks, interesting environment
Cons
Management, Salary, Work hours.
UM is a great place to learn from smart people. Make sure you are in the right group.
Manager, Global Brand Strategy (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2012
Great place to work. I enjoy my day to day work. Client request come fast but if you are a good work you can handle it.
Pros
great place to launch career
Cons
agency life can be hard, but its rewarding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal McCann. Our community is ready to answer.