Universal Music Group

Universal Music Group Employer Reviews

Productive and fin workplace
Marketing (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 21, 2014
At typical day at work included a lot of marketing, conference calls, sending and replying to emails and meetings.
fun
Executive Assistant to CEO of Motown and Republic (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 2, 2014
i loved being in the mix of things. very fun and energetic industry
Universal Music Group, CA Sr. Oracle Developer &
Sr. Oracle Developer & Data Modeler (Current Employee), los angeles, CAJune 18, 2014
• Researches, designs, develops, configures, integrates, tests and maintains existing and new business applications and/or information systems solutions including databases through integration of technical and business requirements.
• Development of applications and infrastructure solutions include both 3rd party software and internally developed applications – more... and infrastructure.
• Analysis of business requirements, coding of modifications or new program, creation of documentation, testing and maintenance of applications, infrastructure, and information systems including database management systems.
• Construct user procedure/functions, triggers, tables, collections, user-defined data type, views, materialized views and Large Objects.
• Tuning and Optimizing the SQL statements using Explain Plan and SQL trace.
• Providing required documentation and participation in architecture reviews to ensure that the solutions comply with standards and use approved technologies.
• Coordination with end users and various functional areas such as Supply Chain, Research and Development, Marketing, Finance, a business, or the company. – less
Fun place to work!
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis MNJune 10, 2014
I met several artists and loved working with the staff! I really enjoyed the team based work platform.
Productive and an excellent place to work.
Most recent was "Customer Service Manager" (Former Employee), Jacksonville, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: excellent medical benefits & generous holidays
Cons: small raises at times...
I worked at EMI Music which was bought by Universal Music. I found the company to have generous benefits and overall a nice place to work. I have learned and grown in many ways over my employment in the last twenty years....
Daily Status
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 3, 2014
On Time
Organized
Focused
Finishing projects on time
Fast based team work
Supportive with management
Enjoyable part: well done performance
If you're looking for mediocrity and incompetent management, this is it!
Temporary Royalty Analyst (Former Employee), Woodland Hills CAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers with lesser abilities than mine makes me look good
Cons: neurotic middle management trying too hard to please superiors
I was brought on as a temporary consultant Royalty Analyst having many years of accounting experience. After being interviewed was offered assignment to last at least two months. Upon starting work I was told that computer and work station would be setup in a week only to find out later that the process would not even be initiated until if and when – more... it is decided that it would work out. For a busy dept. where 12hr days are common this struck me as odd. Why am I here in the first place?

My nearly one week was mostly wasted time. Training, if focused and organized could have been done in a day or two. Instead I was forced to watch someone do the job for nearly a week in a cramped cubicle with a monitor that I could barely see if at all. In my mind I was more knowledgeable and experienced then the trainer and even gave her some advice on some approaches to completing tasks that she then used. I'm not trying to put this person down and I think she was exceptional. I'm just pointing out that I found many of the tasks familiar and am sure that given the opportunity, I would have excelled and made the manager look like a super hero.

Unfortunately due to a poorly timed illness, all while suffering through the excitement comparable to that of observing grass grow for three and a half days and worsening symptoms, I couldn't finish the afternoon and called the "manager" at the end of what would have been my lunch break to let him know, thinking I was doing what was best for all parties (the company by saving a bit of money by not having to pay me to sit there, the department by minimizing risk of exposing coworkers to possible illness, and general productivity by getting well while I had no responsibilities assigned to me and again limiting exposure to coworkers).

This week was a trivial test of qualities that had nothing to do with the quality of employee I would have been. Although they may have thought so, their needs and workload did not seem excessive, I understand deadlines and have been around too long to respond to useless demands and false deadlines as a test. Maybe that's how this mediocre manager got to where he is and will always be, until the you know what hits the fan of this poorly run organization, if this department is similar to the rest.

After my post lunchtime call, I was almost immediately called by my agency to let me know that I will not need to go back. I was stunned and disappointed. Although I enjoyed the environment and people (I thought I even got along well with this spineless jellyfish of a manager), I have no regrets about not finishing the day because I was sick and feeling worse by the minute while knowing I would have no workstation or responsibilities the rest of the day, except to complete this meaningless (and costly to the company) endurance test. What other games would I have encountered over longer term? I probably would have eventually told them off anyway if this is the way they operate.

Too many people cower to these types of employers and they are usually of inferior talent, skills, intelligence, etc. This old fashioned mentality is on it's way out just like the organizations that employ them. Good riddance! – less
worked with cds
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee), Fishers, INJanuary 9, 2014
check in new releases, sort cds and put them together where they belonged, sort and seperate broken and scrap ones from new ones, package the ones being shipped out,
fun environment
Public Relations (Former Employee), Burbank, CADecember 27, 2013
Pros: trendy and music
Cons: advance
every day was different, very challenging with dates. scheduling interviews, booking flights, reserving hotels. organizing press releases.
Great place, great environment
Finance Intern - UMLE (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 21, 2013
A very flat organization where every employee has a voice, even the interns not to forget. Very friendly atmosphere, with the perfect amount of casual and professional balance. Good work life balance and good challenges everyday. Highly recommend.
Outstanding company but too far of a commute
Internship (Former Employee), Burbank, CAAugust 8, 2013
Pros: great compensation, great work environment, great company
Cons: distance
As an Intern for Universal Music Group, the main responsibility was to take on the administrative work such as paper filing, typing, appointment setting etc. Management at this location was very helpful and the co workers were the same. The hardest part about this job was the fact that it was extremely fast paced. The most enjoyable part about this – more... job was the compensation and the fact that we go free lunch everyday. – less
Very Freindly atmosphere
Risk Management Analyst (Former Employee), Woodland Hills CAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: not at universal music long enough to experience the "pros"
Cons: not at universal music long enough to experience the "cons"
*Heavy credit collection calls and reconciliation of accounts I also was involved with the collections from our Film and TV dept.
*I was only with Universal Music for approx 30 days to complete my contract as EMI Music was bought by Universal Music
*During my final days at Universal management was very polite.
*Co-workers were also very polite
*The – more... hardest part of the job was placing my customers with a collection agency.
*The most enjoyable part of my job was not only the challenge, but the challenge and its positive results – less
Not the greatest place to work depending on who your boss is
Marketing and Promotions Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
It was a decent experience working at UMG for a bit. The staff tended to be a bit superficial, but like most things in life, any learning experience is a good one.
Productive, calm place to work
Sales and Marketing Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 24, 2013
I enjoyed interning at UMG and I learned a lot about the music business. Management was encouraging but some of the employees could be a little cold. Overall I had a great time interning and would do it all over again if given the chance.
World leader in Music entertaiment
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Miami Beach, FLApril 25, 2013
Very fast paced enviroment, with changes all the time in order to keep up to day with the tecnology and people preferences
Great fun people to work with, great atmosphere
Sales (Current Employee), Universal City, CAApril 2, 2013
Pros: friday morning music presentations 30mins-1 hour paid and includes breakfast
It's a great energetic place to work but the company could use some restructuring in certain departments. Every friday morning there is a presentation/meeting where we screen new videos and listen to live music from up and coming artists. Overall it's a great place to work but there is room for improvement.
Fun atmosphere to work seems like everyone loves what they do
Receptionist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 31, 2013
Pros: snobby stars
Cons: meeting new stars and learning new things
great atmosphere Always busy always something to do
learned alot met different stars nice and not so nice
management very helpful and knowledgeable
staff overall happy and helpful
the only problem is star employees coming to work without keycard(pass) to let themselves in and expected others to let them in and that was a security issue
very enjoyabe – more... meeting new people(R&B artists, Rappers etc.) – less
Beautiful Experience
National Director of Marketing and Promotions (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: traveling
I had the chance to work hand and hand with artist marketing their music, as well as trraveling on various tours. was a great experience to see some develop from nothing into mega stars.
Comfortable, Safe, Friendly Environment
A&R/Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: perks: free concert tickets, special events, private parties
Cons: limited lunch breaks, extremly late hours, vision insurance, job security
- Responding to email correspondence, Conference Calls, Scheduling Meetings, Booking Travel, Processing Expenses.
- How to compromise & muti-task
- Great Management Team
- Dealing with non team players can become frustrating
- Family Oriented and friendly joyful vibes
No growth or common respect
Label Marketing Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: abiity to work in the arts
Cons: compensation, advancement, encouragement, respect
VEry fun atmosphere to work in if your just starting out in the buisness however there was a great miss with the company where there was no room for advancement from the senior staff. In addition there was no respect given to the reps on the ground level. work load would increase 10 fold but compensation and reward were not pressent.

About Universal Music Group

For Universal Music Group (UMG), music is a universal language. A subsidiary of Vivendi, UMG is the world's largest recording – Read more

Universal Music Group Photos