Universal Music Group Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Applications Support Engineer (Current Employee), Woodland Hills, CAJune 25, 2015
Great company to work for. The people make all the difference and the most enjoyable part of the job is working with people from all different walks of life.
received a publishing deal from UMG
Production Engineer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2015
Pros: marginally compensated
Cons: predatory atmosphere
I was a music producer and received a publishing deal from UMG, I had very little contact with any UMG employees. They seemed generally disinterested in listening to demos, unenthusiastic about music production. Their main focus, understandably is selling music. I am thankful for my opportunity to work as a professional musician for a time, but I cannot say I would recommend working for this company.
Universal
Senior Director Digital Marketing & Product Mgmt (Former Employee), New York, New YorkMay 19, 2015
Pros: Creative atmosphere
Cons: No internal feedback on performance
Progressive company dedicated to the artists and their music with extreme sensitivity to the ever changing recored music marketplace.
Exciting, adventurous company.
Flexible Work Environment in a Fascinating Industry
Manager of Category Management (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 13, 2015
Pros: Great work and life balance
Cons: Limited advancement opportunities
Working in music is very exciting and Universal Music Group is the global leader in recorded music sales. The flexibility of this job is great and the unique opportunities to work with amazing artists is unparalleled.
Great
Radio Promotions Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 26, 2015
Pros: See Celebs, Concert Perks
Cons: Growth is a question
Cool Job!

It has a lot of great perks. Growth on the other is always a question mark, but the music industry is about making connections so it's extra work on your part to be successful (at least thats what I'm learning).
High Tech Music Entertainment Company with well balanced work
Sr. Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee), Woodland Hills, CAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Free Artist Merchandise, Friendly Environment
Cons: Too far away from my home
Great place to work! Job environment was excellent and everyone was really friendly and professional. I learned a lot from this job!
Assistant Publisher
Unpaid Intern / Assistant Publisher (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAMarch 22, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Learned a great deal about music business and my experiences will take me very far. The management was great and so were the people.
Consultant (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: growth
Cons: contant change
I've worked there off and on for 19 years and have enjoyed every moment. If really want a better understanding of the industry, there is no better place to be.
SENIOR FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT II (Former Employee), Universal City, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Loved /working /at /Universal /Music /group. /IT /WAS SO /FAR. /IT /WOULD /TAKE /ME /ABOUT /1 /HOUR /AND /45 /MINUTES /TO /GET /HOME /FROM SOUTH /REDONDO /BEACH.
Overall.... My review of this workplace is positive
Recording engineer (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: clean environment, professional atmosphere.
Cons: as far as cons go, there were none that were worth mentioning.
At Universal Rondor, a typical day at work could start at anytime based on the needs of the producer's and songwriters.I would check to make sure that the recording booth was in order. Then,based on the taste and needs stipulated by the producer, i would set up the appropriate microphone(s),preamps,etc.This would be followed by a quick policing of the rest of the room to make sure that it was clean and comfortable for the client. I would then open up a protools template, talk with the Producer and songwriter about their vision for the material and get to work.
I learned how to adjust quickly to a fast paced environment because often there would be multiple songwriters in succession. each time they might be doing totally different kinds of music and have different needs.
The management for the most part stayed out of the way. They were seldom seen unless there was a need for something that wasn't readily available.(e.g. a special mike or other equipment).
I didn't really interact with other engineers that much. Each room was it's own little island.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different personalities of different songwriters. It didn't really bother me though. That is to be expected.
The most enjoyable part of the job was hopefully having a good day making your clients happy and being around good music and good sound.
good experience
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2015
entering order for merchandise
taking orders via phone, fax and email
creating invoices
credit card processing
provide customers with status of their orders
Ok
Administrative Assistant Shared Services Dept (Former Employee), universal city, caJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great music, great co-workers
Cons: terrible managers
The Job & co workers were great
watch out for Management. Very stressed out

Hardest part of job was dealing with the bosses
World-class Music Company
Production Specialist (Former Employee), Santa MonicaJanuary 19, 2015
Seven years of working at the biggest music company in the world.
Life at Universal Royalties
Executive Director/Director Royalty Acct Group (Former Employee), Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 9, 2015
The department is filled with incredibly nice people. The benefits are great with this company. The management is friendly and available at all time; an open door policy. The management is knowledgeable and will to train and teach when needed.
Hard work
Senior Director of Marketing (Current Employee), Los AngelesDecember 30, 2014
Hard work, but if you love the industry it won't matter. I've enjoyed my time here.
Senior Financial Analyst
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), San Jose CRDecember 19, 2014
Fianancial Analyst for >Latam, transition of the FCOE team from Tampa Florida to CSS, balance sheet, recon, gl recon, afs securizations, reports for management and audit, finance and risk analyst, eDCFC, RCSA Audit test
Fun job for college kids/ little guidance
College Marketing Representative (Current Employee), Stillwater, OKDecember 9, 2014
While working, i found that my supervisors kind of just liked to throw us out into the wild and fend for ourselves. The free music was a huge plus although
The entertainment industry is a great place to work within.
Senior Project Manager - Digital Asset Management (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2014
Pros: free music! vacations encouraged. non-adherance to traditional business attire.
Music is a part of every human's life whether published or just made for on person's ears. UMG is the largest music distribution company in the world. The enormous operation to present music to consumer spans continents. The management level, the top grade life benefits and the teamwork of the various internal and external networks make UMG a desirable company to be associated with.
Company outsourced and relocated out of state
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee), Delray Beach, FLOctober 21, 2014
Company relocated out of state and due to family obligations I was unable to make the state change.
Dream Job
Legal File Clerk - Business & Legal Department (Current Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 18, 2014
Cool environment, great management, the work life balance is in favor of employees especially since the company does not operate on a standard 9-5 daily schedule.