At Universal North America, we don’t compromise. Neither should you.
Universal North America offers opportunity for professional growth, leadership development and promotion from within. All in an atmosphere that’s intensely challenging, yet fun and rewarding.
Every day, we promise to provide superior home and business insurance coverage for hundreds of thousands of customers throughout the country. But our promise is only as good as the people that make up our organization.
That’s why we invest heavily in our employees, never compromising when it comes to providing the tools they need to keep moving forward. And we’re committed to recruiting team members that are just as passionate about excellence as we are.
If you’re interested in more than a job, but rather an opportunity to be a part of a growing company and to work with the best and brightest in the insurance industry, please contact us!
Job Title: Territory Sales Manager (Western Region)
Department: Sales and Agency Relations
Supervised by: Vice President of Sales and Agency Relations
Location: Preferred location – Los Angeles area, California
This position is responsible for assisting in the development and management of UNA’s distribution channels and agency partnerships in assigned territories. This includes agency productivity, appointments, training agency personnel on company products, procedures and underwriting guidelines and increasing company product sales in assigned territory, states or geographical area. This position markets and sells the company products and services via appointed agents using technical, organizational, product, industry, territorial and customer knowledge to influence production and quality of business with agents in assigned territories to increase company revenue and profitability. In addition, the position provides input regarding the positioning of UNA products in the marketplace, participates in gathering competitive information, completes reports relating to weekly agency visits and contacts, market intelligence, market planning and communication of technical development of products and services to distributor partners and customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other functions may be assigned as business conditions change.
- Develop and manage existing distribution channels and partnerships including regular visitations, training and other marketing activities in the territory
- Develop and implement strategies to drive desired level of production and quality of business
- Provide recommendations relating to modifications and improvements to UNA programs, systems and processes
- Evaluate agency qualifications for appointment and make appropriate recommendations for appointment including receipt of and execution of appointment paperwork between agents and company
- Schedule coordinate and conduct agent training sessions on individual, group and regional basis
- Schedule, coordinate and conduct monthly customer service training sessions
- Collect and communicate feedback from agent and CSR training sessions to appropriate area
- Responsible for agency production and quality of business
- Provide recommendations as to modification of and improvement to web based quote and application platform and processes
- Conduct agency marketing visits regularly with all key agents in assigned marketing territory; Conduct Q & A sessions and audit files
- Provide audit reports to Sales Management and Underwriting as necessary
- Assist with agency communications
- Complete regular agency evaluations to include production levels, progress toward any contingent commission requirements, and quality of new business submissions, audit results, and loss results
- Review results of agency evaluations with agency principal; establish corrective action plans to address area(s) of concern
- Responsible for knowledge of all UIM products, pricing and processes
- Responsible for gathering knowledge of competitors, products, pricing and processes and communicating with UIM team members
- Provide input into annual rate review process
- Collaborate with underwriting, operations, claims and marketing as needed
- Strong interpersonal skills and team skills; ability to interact with all levels of internal and external customers
- Must be flexible and able to be adaptable in a changing business environment
- Must possess sound & balanced industry and business acumen and timely decision making skills
- Frequent travel as needed to support multiple markets (including travel to different states)
Education and / or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 1 year of personal lines insurance experience
- Must have experience training and developing agency staff
- Must demonstrate solid sales and problem solving ability
- Must be able to understand and review agency qualifications for appointment and make recommendations for appointment or dismissal
- Experience selling and marketing to large territories P & C personal lines products including homeowners is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, (including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and Internet based platforms and Websites
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills including; formal presentation skills before both small and large groups
Licenses and / or certifications:
- CPCU and/or CIC designation desirable
- Valid driver’s license with clear Motor Vehicle Record
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.