UNIVERSAL PLANT SERVICES

UNIVERSAL PLANT SERVICES Employer Reviews

Don't work there.
Millright (Former Employee), Lemont, ILNovember 27, 2014
Pros: pays good because it is contract work
Cons: need more black people in this division.the
Do not work at this plant in lemont,IL. They have undercover cops working at the lemont plant for the turbine and pump division. they got me fired over jealous and envy. I was a black guy. The site supervisor was nitching for the police dept along with the Citgo, plant personell. I should have got the FBI in there to do an investigation.
Good Opritunity for someone who doesn't mind travel...
Apprentice Millwright (Current Employee), Deer Park, TxAugust 15, 2014
Pros: skilled labor in the union
Cons: travel and occasional down time between jobs
A typical day at work - Varies from day to day, and is not extremely physically demanding. But is outside and is usually uncomfortable. Attention to detail is very critical with this job.

What you learned - How to use precision tools the proper way and how the smallest variable can affect proper alignment.

Management - The company was founded my millwrights and is ran by millwrights. So they have a good idea of what the job takes and what you have to go through to get the job done.

Your co-workers - Everyone's who works in the field is union, so theirs a little bit of a brother hood that goes along with it. It's best if your a people person because your likely to be working in a different place with different people pretty often.

The hardest part of the job - Travel is a requirement, which can be a strain on family. And their is also a slow season during the summer when plants run wide open and don't usually plan turn abounds.

The most enjoyable part of the job - Even at the lowest entry level apprentice you are someone from a highly skilled trade, and much is expected from you. You get a since of pride in your work and feel appreciated more, especially when your good and don't brag about it. People respect that.
productive company with a safety first mind set
1) Boilermaker/Mechanic (Former Employee), La Porte, TXJune 3, 2014
Pros: there was always plenty of fresh water
Cons: they normally work short turn arounds instead of long jobs
on a typical day we would be blinding off exchangers for hydro, pulling/stabbing bundles , demoing pipe and other machinery. the crews where always willing to help if it was need. we always maintained a safe work place.
not good
Millwright Local (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 26, 2014
Horrible working conditions, corrupt leadership, The only thing this company has going for it is they pay well.
Fun place to work
Tool Coordinator (Former Employee), Modesto, CAMay 12, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: to many last minute decisions that put us in a time crunch
I was responsible to get the tools out to each jobsite throughout the United States and work with vendors to rent additional equipment as needed. It was a small shop but we all worked closely together and management was always there to support us as needed. The hardest part of the job was finding specialty tooling as quickly as possible to keep the job moving,.
Universal Plant Services
General Counsel (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXApril 30, 2014
Pros: free snack bar
Cons: no downtown or metro corporate office
Good company my commute is just very long, so, it is time to make a change.
Great Management
Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours considerate of family
Cons: limited advancement opportunities to utilize education
Professional environment. A second family.

Management cares about individuals and their well-being
Good Money
Millwright (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXJanuary 21, 2014
When your working you can make a lot of money but when there is no work it kind of sucks.
Good
Delivery driver and parts ordering (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CANovember 10, 2013
Pros: great oppertunities
Cons: closed
They were a great company to work for i just wish they didnt have to close the Bakersfield location down
Experts in rotating equipment maintenance and repair
Safety Coordinator, Western Region (Current Employee), Fairfield CASeptember 22, 2013
Pros: healthcare, work vehicle, gas card, computer, phone
Cons: large region, lots of driving.
Interesting and diverse work set. In four different refineries and several other smaller facilities throughout region. Cover WA and HI also. Never a dull moment, fast-paced environment.
I thought I had a job!
AP Assistant (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: everyone seemed nice
Cons: hired for a job that wasn't really available
Was hired, worked 5 days, then got laid off. Was told the position was being pulled. So I guess I was hired for a position that really wasn't available?
Sorely disappointed because I passed up another job offer that was paying more, for this one!
Nice place to work, but to much travel to be away from ones family
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXAugust 22, 2013
Pros: good money
Cons: keep you out of town when you were to go home
A typical day at work consisted of performing maintenance on a variety of equipment at refineries, I did learn a lot of things that go on at refineries and the different things made there. The hardest part about working at refineries was that it was very demanding with 12 hour days and 7 day weeks with a lot of travel. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a good job completed and a happy customer requesting you back should anything be needed. Most all my co-workers were great to work with, we worked hard to accomplish our customers goals.
Great company, awesome field and support teams
Site Manager (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJuly 30, 2013
Universal Plant Services is filled with talented hard working and good hearted people. Most of the management came from the field and haven't forgotten it. They make sure you have what you need and go above board to make life comfortable.
Excellent workforce, still making adjustments in management
Welder / Fabricator (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXJuly 25, 2013
From day one the coworkers for the Shop Services division of UPS was very welcoming. I moved 1000 miles for this job, and everyone reached out to me with suggestions of areas to live, eat, and go for recreation. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to work with, and with only about 20 people in the machine shop, no one was constantly looking over your shoulder or micromanaging. However, missteps by management caused a few customers to pull their work out of the shop. Because of this, promises made to workers upon hiring were not fulfilled when they reached the end of the 90 day trial period. Because business had gotten so slow, I was new, and was making a pretty good deal of money, I was let go 4 days shy of my 90 day review. To my surprise my coworkers were very upset with this and many have reached out to me after leaving the company offering references, contacts, and anything else I may need help with. I'll miss working with those guys.
Enjoyed the Client I worked for
Safety Consultant - Turbine Services (Former Employee), Freepor,t TXJune 19, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: management working against one another
Took Care of Machinist/Turbine Repair Crew
Co Workers were Great
Hated to write someone up, but Safety Awareness comes first.
Porductive and career building company
Employment History Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: company buys lunches from time to time
Working with this company I acquired a lot of friendships and some hardships. I've learned a great deal working with the company and people around. I am forever greatful for them taking a chance on me as a first year apprentice and teaching me to ropes of the trade. Since my employment in 2009, I've develop a great since of knowledge and up graded throughout the years, now a third year apprentice knocking on the door to fourth year and hopefully acquiring journeymanship in the next year are so. This company will work with you under most circumstances and has great managment. I hope to be called back one day for a more permanent position.
Tools Manager
Tools Manager (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXAugust 14, 2012
Temp job, easy work and decent pay. Had no benefits due to being temp, which is the norm from what I was told. Work was outside in the sun, so it was hot work.