Universal Protection Service

Universal Protection Service Employee Reviews

Found 1,565 reviews matching the search
Good people with poor management and retention
Lieutenant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  BMW Greer, SCNovember 26, 2016
Overall it is a good place to work , with many talented and smart people. Management however has been hired from outside the existing staff and has little to no experience in the security / law enforcement field. They were unable to maintain staffing levels required by the client, resulting in a non-stable schedule for existing officers who were unwilling to remain due to long hours and low compensation. Management used threats and coercion to try to correct the problems resulting in further alienation of officers.
Pros
Liberal breaks, scheduling of days off and great client enviroment
Cons
Poor management and low compensation
No Honesty
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 20, 2016
A basic day at work at one of the sites is walking a round the parking lot in extreme weather conditions with thick uniforms on. The pay is 9 dollars an hour without raises and or any incentives. Guards work alone, and aren't properly trained to handle any situation other than to run and hide when needed. I have worked security before and was prior military. I offered to train all guards in my area due to being close to the border and for the situations I have been placed in myself and was denied due to managements control and policy. There is no enjoyable part about this job, management fails to please its guards and or promises them false promotions and or incentives so that guards will stay on sites.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No advancement and or incentives.
Get the job done no matter the cost
Director of Security (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2016
A typical work day consisted in answering phone calls and emails all throughout the day, regardless of the time. 20 hour work days were expected.

I learned how to organize multiple programs at once and coordinate between my company and the clients.

Management was not concerned with lower management team or employees. The only goal with the company was to please the clients regardless of the turnover or personnel suitable for the jobs.

The hardest part of the job was that 20 hour work days were expected from salary paid employees 7 days a week.

I did not enjoy working with this company.
Pros
Cons
long hours and work weeks
Great employees
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 3, 2016
Your typical day at Universal could range anywhere from monitering cctv for several hours to being on your feet for most of the day. There was never a dull moment working for this company, you always had something to do whether its patrolling a property to detaining suspects. The employees were not too bad but management could use some work. My favorite part of the job is leaving knowing i made a difference.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not too much room for advancements
Universal Protection Service/Allied Universal
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCDecember 2, 2016
Very easy job, you do the same thing everyday and learn things
benefits are great.
you don't get rewarded for doing good things
NO opportunity for GROWTH within the company
NO RAISES
management sucks, supervisor is unprofessional. Only thinks about himself.
Every site has a different supervisor though
You don't get to leave for lunch because of paid meal period
Cafe' at my job site serves the same thing everyday and food is high
Productive and fun Work Place
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2017
Management had poor leadership skills. Not enough pay. No benefits.No Personal Time OFF. This job is good job to start in the security field industry to gain experience. My co-worker was friendly. I learned how to work with others and follow proper security procedure.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Taking breaks on time
Cons
No advancement in the company, Low pay
Different work place everyday,overall I joyed working at the site.
Security Supervisor/Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2017
I,enjoyed working at the site and when UPS take over the site. Something change and some stay, the same. As a supervisor training the officer and working with new director was great. At time and a chance, but I love a chance and with the large turnover. I trained the officer on the bike patrolling and enjoyed working with the police officer and the tenants. But , overall if there a site for me work, I were re-apply with company because the HR crew was all way fair and region management was fair and listen to your problem.
Pros
not clocking out for lunch
Cons
health care benefits
Not a good place to work.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Oakland, MEFebruary 3, 2017
No benefits, no pay raises, no advancement opportunity. Management is terrible. Uniforms are cheap, equipment is terrible as well. Hours have been changed recently and interfere with home life.
Pros
Cons
low pay, poor management, cheap uniforms and equipment.
Closer site to home though management of company has change and lack of communication
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIDecember 13, 2016
My post commander is understanding
My co workers is helpful
Site is chill nobody bother
Learn pretty much all the things I have learn from the past post I been working at so I already have the skills to do the job.
Graveyard shift is tough to work especially staying up.
Benefits is not good
Management lack of communication
Pros
Training, Paycheck
Cons
Medical, Break, Lunch Breaks
UPS = Horrible place to work
"Security Officer" (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 4, 2016
The management in the Virginia area are horrible and treat you horrible even if you make a tiny mistake. The benefits are expensive and bad and money, well they shafted me and a few employees out of lots of hours resulting it filing payroll discrepancies which those take weeks to get pushed through. Its also their policy not to cut checks in these circumstances. I DO NOT recommend them.
Pros
Cons
Shotty Management, Bad Payroll, Bad Benefits.
Horrible Company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CASeptember 21, 2016
While the company was good for steady income, communication with management was atrocious, advancement was near impossible, and the overall organization was horrible. It often took weeks, if at all, for operations managers to get back to employees about serious issues, While it doesn't take much to complete the necessary assigned tasks, the company taxes far too much for the average worker. High turnover rate as well.
Pros
As much overtime as needed
Cons
Poor communication with management, poor office organization, high taxes both for regular hours and overtime pay.
Convenient
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2016
I've worked with this company for almost 2 years now, and they have lost their contract to two different companies already. Also, customer service is not so good, unprofessional, unorganized and management could be a lot better. I have seen some progress since "Allied Universal Security" bought them out, so that's a plus! Besides that I did have some amazing co-workers and when I did need time off they were very flexible.
Pros
free lunches, good dental benefits.
Cons
healthcare
poor experience
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 7, 2016
My experience with this company started off some what alright as time went on though it gradually got worse, I started working for E,L,A at $6.25hr the company was bought out by A&R Security then Universal protection service I worked in security for 16yrs, the same management stayed in office for a long time I was just left to do my job paying my union dues and slowly my income increased before I left I was making $13.60hr I was like many guards removed from a post I worked at for 14yrs without notice until one day before I returned from vacation. The last straw for me was being grieved on my mothers passing I was told I was a no call no show on Friday April 23rd 2016 and lost a weeks worth of pay even though I spoke with the branch manager and the office was well informed. I don't appreciate what happened with this company over the years and there is much more then just this year I could write a lot more. But rather then write a book on a poor business I simply say this it needs improvement both in personal communication and their HR department new management and better job security.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
everything else
Decent Company to Work For
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2016
First time working security, going on 3 years, things are generally the same day to day, management is ok, sometimes a little hard to reach but effective.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No Advancement, Benefits Aren't the Best
Hahaha... Joke
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 6, 2017
Private sector is horrible. We are just babysitters. Can't use self defense, no social life, no team building, just a loner job that leads to a depressed state of mind. I know of sites that have multiple units with past issues arising, and it's just one officer with a flashlight that has to to multiple tours. Everything is yes to the client and no to the officer. No back up or relief until the week you take vacation. The contracts are not bid properly. Not negotiated. And people expect loyalty to be taken seriously at $10 an hour with no OT. Anyone with a SORA can get a job, and the communication needs practice yet they require it already from officers. They have some good paying sites, however they won't train for armed sites. CHEAP!!!
Pros
Account management try
Cons
Company management unsuccessful, lack skills, mostly in favor for client
productive work environment
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2016
my day begins by checking in with all my coworkers to see how the evening has gone before my arrival, I then begin my rounds by checking all areas secured by lock only, followed by giving 30 min lunch breaks for all unarmed officers onsite. I then continue my rounds by checking all gates secured by access badge to ensure that they are functioning properly, followed by 30-45 min observation and report of every secured parking area on and offsite. i have learned that time management and attention to detail are two of the most important qualities for security. my coworkers are also learning this information more and more everyday. the hardest part of my job would have to be the lack of face to face interaction with others, it can get lonely at times, however the most enjoyable part is that i have the ability to self manage.
Pros
good hours, fairly flexible, overtime available
Cons
short breaks, long hours
They black ball you !
Guard/Driver (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 1, 2016
If you cant make an interview because you have to work your other job on short notice , they will never reschedule you and black ball throughout the whole system. Its pretty nasty HR who never offered the job yet but makes you jump through hoops on their time table not taking into account you have a life. Very childish and the upper management always has payroll issues.....imagine that?
Pros
nothing
Cons
politics at office, lower pay, hours, HR
Please find something else.
Security Professional (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 29, 2016
I've been working as a security "professional" for 3 months. I work at a site with no supervisor or co-workers. The site I work for has in-house security and a police Department. I'm stuck in a room for the whole shift, 8-12 hours without a lunch break or any other break. The in house security complains sometimes if you have to use the restroom more then twice in a shift. Management as always given me the day off when I request it, but will work you 8 days in a row while throwing in a few 12 hour shifts without causing overtime. You cant live on the pay unless you find another job or want to live in section 8 housing. If you want to work your life away without little to show for it then this is the place for you. When your 60 and kicking the table saying "where did my life go?" You can call Universal and see if they will pay to add years on to your life. By then they will have merged with another company and will be called something else like united security. Really your goal in your tour of duty is hoping your relief shows up on time. If not, you just "hang in there" "we're working on getting you relief" Then payday comes and says you only worked 40 hours.
Pros
Healthcare offered. Management responds to email.
Cons
Advancement- forget about it. Work-life balance. No paid days off until you work a year.
Not So Great
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHJanuary 3, 2017
The days felt long because there was nothing to do. Management wasn't very helpful after about a year (once managment starting changing). A lot of times they wouldn't even tell you how to go about doing certain things at the site you were working at. You had to wing it a lot of times. Hardest part was trying to figure out what do with your time throughout the day. I worked with this company for 4 years. Never received a pay increase until I was relocated to another building (a month before I left the company). The most enjoyable part about the job was some of the patients, nurses, doctors and other workers I got to meet while working at the site I was at.
Pros
Off on weekends
Cons
No increase in pay, bad communication with management, extreme boredom throughout the day.
Average company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CASeptember 3, 2016
Job was typical security job like all others. when hired on, job placement took time but eventually put at an account. Learned the basics of secuirty and its limits to just observe and report. management was average with interviewing and placing individuals at sites. Co-workers are friendly and good with overall experience. Job was tedious and no real challenge. At times socializing with the client staff in encouragement of career change.
Pros
Good start up company
Cons
minimum wage, slow advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Protection Service. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8