Universal Protection Service

Universal Protection Service Employee Reviews

Its a pay check
Security Director (Former Employee) –  Spokane WaFebruary 5, 2016
When I started with UPS they had just taken over the contract for the Hospital that I was assigned. Only 2 of the former employees remained due to the difference in pay and benefits. They (UPS) promised continual training, quality uniforms and better security then what the Hospital had prior to their take over. The "continual training" consisted of 1 day of training that was provided by the Hospital and nothing more. To this day, none of my guys have received additional training and when I asked to work different shifts to accommodate in house training it was denied.
As the Security Director I have found UPS to be hard to work for and dishonest with their employees. We were all promised benefits after 90 days of employment and none of us have them. Why you may ask, they were way over priced and there were NO PROVIDERS in our State. Just as an example, for my family of 4 the medical only would have cost just over $1700.00 a month. My guys make $12.00 an hour which meant after taxes they would have to work for a month to pay for the medical benefit offered to them and they would still owe nearly $200 in the end. That's not a benefit by any standards but you could get cheaper insurance that cost more then the services it allowed.
As a supervisor I was also in charge of the schedule. When we had an over time detail I was told my guys would be paid time and a half for working the over time (18.00), since the Hospital was billed 27.50 an hour for this service (billable overtime). They ended up paying 3 of my employees their regular pay of 12.00 an hour because they didn't have
  more... 40 hours, which contradicted what they initially said. See I asked prior to the over time being worked and insured my part time employees that they would be getting the 18.00 an hour just as the full time guys because that's what I was told. 2 stopped working for me after that and are now working for the Hospital directly after this..
I'm an educated person, business owner and have been making 6 figures for the last 5 years. I took this job for the benefits that were promised. I personally would not hire UPS to protect my property or employees. I truly hope the services they provide in other parts of the country are better then what they offered here.
Pros
It's a pay check.
Cons
They do not follow through with their promises. No REASONABLE benifits. No training for the guards.
Meet lots of people
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
The hardest part was standing up for long hours but I kept busy. I learned to pinpoint when cashiers make mistakes at the cash register. Also I learned to notice tricks that customers do to try to steal products.
Contract Security at its finest
director of security (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJanuary 7, 2016
Great Security company to be apart of the team. Team concept, leading in security industry, purchasing other security companies and making sites better for officers and clients. Pay is based on individual client contract. Normal for contract security career field. Highly recommend for future security officers and law enforcement officers to start here or build career here. Takes time, but worth it to learn all that is needed to manage a team and provide good service to client.
Pros
Communication, Ability to lead, Mentoring, Teamwork, Security
Lots of work
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2015
There's a lot of open hours. I need the money and there's always OT. The schedules don't change at the site I'm working at unless they're giving me extra hours. My boss knows his job and does it really well. The client is really nice and we don't wear a normal security mall cop uniform so that's a big plus. I like the respect that the tenants give me and that I give them back in return. Most of my co-workers are dependable. Some aren't.
Pros
Decent pay, Lots of hours, don't need a second job!
Cons
Some co-workers are slugs.
site at American Express, good working conditions, get along well with co-workers
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 8, 2015
I work an 8 hour shift, Thursday through Sunday, 2pm to 10pm.
I enjoy the hours and the experience, patrols, monitors, badge readers and coworkers. I do not care for overtime, they do not have enough personnel and are constantly wanting you to work OT.
Sasol Mega Project
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LADecember 5, 2015
Busy interacting with customer meeting the needs of people with I enjoy a lot. what I learned sense I have been on the job is that patient is a virtue. Management tired to help out as much as possible but their hands are tired when it come to decisions that are made by upper management of the site and that's not fair at. my coworkers are greet people to work with. Hardest part about the job is getting employees from other companies to respect you. Best part of the job is meeting people from all over the world.
Don't work for this company, you have been warned
OPEN MALL SECURITY (Former Employee) –  Fairview, TXNovember 29, 2015
I worked for the villages of allen and fairview. The company, directors ( joke) didn't have any idea about doing their jobs but they love to control you , your pay, your time off, and you get nothing in return, just doing (jobs) with no pay, " you have been warned"
Pros
GETTING OUT OF THAT PLACE
Cons
EVERTHING
Universal Protection worse company ever
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCNovember 23, 2015
Universal Protection is the worse place I ever worked. The company does not care whatsoever about employees. They expected you not to have a life outside of work. Medical benefits are terrible and you wont never get a raise. They don't give you vacation or sick days and if you are out more than 3 days with an illness they will fire you even if you have a doctors note. When my grandparents died they told me I may not have a job when I came back from the funerals. I am now in the process of finding another job.
Pros
Cons
no sick or vacation days, horrible to employees
It was a ok Co to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my assignment at first and had hops to move up with in the Co, performed my duties to the best of my knowledge learning every day as much as I could to represent my self and Universal the I could.
However very soon I realized that there was no communication at all with management, training and site supervision was very poor.
I didn't thing it was the place for me because the opportunity for advancement was not there.
Pros
Nice assigment site
Cons
no oportumities for advancement
A day at work.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  1800 Sutter square,Concord ca.November 18, 2015
First,coming to work on time, getting the pass down information, checking everything, helping people, directing people-that's called access control. Observe and report ,make sure everything secure and normal.
Pros
its good helping people.
Security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2015
This job requires to be on feet more then 8 hours. They are very strict with communication among employees. They don't allow to carry at all cellphones. As employee you always have to let them know where you're location and ask for permission for a restroom break. They do pay for you're benefits as medical and vacation time.
Pros
Ask permission to used the restroom
Cons
They provide benefits
Large variety of clients and job locations to work for
Security Professional (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2015
I worked for this company for 1 year when another company I was working for was purchased by Universal Protection Service.The job location I was assigned to had a low pay rate but was mostly an easy site to work.The payroll was always accurate and on schedule.Overtime was always available if you wanted it. Basically,the company is a good choice and is obviously growing since it is buying other large security companies.
I learn about how to safe lives and patrol a property.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2015
They care more about the client than your safety, very slow environment and I love keeping myself busy all the time. No flexible at all.
great company to work for
security officer (Former Employee) –  Napa, CANovember 13, 2015
I would refer anyone to work for the company, the working hours was great, good client contact, great managers and field managers, sometimes the hardest part of the job is the weather if you are on a post outside, and sometime all the walking on some sites.
Pros
lunche should be able to go where you need to go on your time
Cons
pay on time
Development culture positive
Post Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2015
Universal's management was still under development after acquiring Industrial Security Service Corporation by the time I departed the company
stable job with no overtime
Security/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXNovember 9, 2015
stable, just not very good benefits. no paid vacation, no overtime, so time to leave. co-workers are friendly. management could be more involved.
A boring place to work
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CANovember 7, 2015
Stand around all day and do nothing hoping for someone to do something for you to finally do something and not be bored. At some locations you are by yourself. The hardest part of the job is trying to distract your self for time to go by faster.
Productive, comfortable work enviornment, and lot of teamwork involvment.
LLC-Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJNovember 7, 2015
Universal Protection Services is a security company that hires security officers to work for different locations. Currently, I am an employee of the company who works for Woodbridge Center Mall and for the past couple of years my responsibilities have been to protect all customers and give them a sense of security.
Pros
Meet new people and for the most part the work enviornment is easy.
Cons
Short breaks, work schudules are all over the place, and weekends are mandatory.
Secure a exclusive residential community
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Dana Point, CANovember 4, 2015
Work in a exclusive high-end private community, ensure to provide the highest quality service.
Check in all entering vehicles to prevent and ensure no trespassing or loitering occurs.
Communicate with residents in order to make sure all guests expected are in their guest lists, and make changes as requested.
Assure residents a safe place to reside and attend to all their needs and concerns with a smile.
Call Progressive Management and file Incident Reports if needed.
Report suspicious activity to prevent any danger to residents and their homes
Great place to work Lots of Overtime
Field/Site Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2015
Always stuff to do like checking on 150+ security sites ensuring that everyone is following proper procedures. Management was great as they were always able to assist you with anything you needed. Learned new management skills with computers and client interaction.