Universal Protection Services

Universal Protection Services United States Employee Reviews

Benefits not so good
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2015
co workers is alright to work with, all day on foot, you will received a lot of complaint from customers, its hard when its busy and there is a lot of going on
Productive company shipping and receiving.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Greenville, SCMarch 15, 2015
Pros: free coffee and exercise
Cons: healthcare and few benefits
I really love my job. I enjoy meeting and talking people from all walks of life. It is interesting and educational. The winter and summer months are very challenging. My work day is pleasant because the people are helpful, kind, and knowledgeable.
Security Guard (Current Employee), san diegoMarch 10, 2015
 Ensure the safety and security for residents, visitors and property
 Keep accurate records of activity and conditions on property for reporting purposes
 Assist with general office management, filing, customer service & record keeping
not a lot of benifits
security guard (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMarch 5, 2015
They didn't have a lot of benefits. There wasen,t a lot of room for advancement. The work wasen't very hard, no heavy loading . Overall Id rather work somewhere else.
Laid back
Security Guard (Current Employee), Cayuga, INMarch 1, 2015
The hardest part was not being able to see my husband I mean the over time was great but I was promised day shift when my supervisor got enough people hired in but was never placed back on days
Workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee), Palm Desert, CAMarch 1, 2015
Pros: you can gain experience
Great place to work. I've learned a lot about security. Would recommend to a friend to apply with the company. Good environment, management takes priority in their work and their employees.
Poor work environment and unprofessional Management
Security Officer- Patrol Guard (Former Employee), Riverside, CAFebruary 28, 2015
Responsibilities for maintaining a constant visual of company grounds and patrolling on foot and by company vehicle, for any possible suspicious activity or hazardous alerts, fires, flooding, etc. Maintain and update log sheet reports, every 30-45 minutes in regards to assigned post duties. Other, reports include incident reports, security and fire alarm reports and vehicle damage reports as needed. Additionally, operate as customer service representative for company and location site employees in regards to inbound phone calls received and assisting customers with appropriate protocol in order to ensure customer service approval.
Overworked, under appreciated and no advancements.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Fort Collins, COFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: independence
Cons: pay, benefits, atmosphere, management, no advancements without pay demotion and not appreciated.
I've now been working at the same location through UPS for 1 1/2 yrs. When I reached my 1 year I asked about a review and a raise (I was told how wonderful I am but was not compensated accordingly for the tasks given) and my Director did not know the regulations or possiblites of a raise.

In my interview I was told my only job tasks were to answer the phone, uphold to their safety policies and greet visitors with ocassional filing. I explained I was proficient in computers but was specifically told I wouldn't have to do any computer work.

When I reached 4 months of working at this site I began getting mounds of papers to scan, file and etc. I was given craft jobs like cutting puzzle pieces out of construction paper at the 400 count (took me a week to do). I was then given weekly "projects" to self maintain. I of course thought if I worked well I'd be paid accurately or given a promotion.

I have not received one raise and was told they don't offer raises even with good work ethics. I then asked about an advancement and was told the next step was to become a guard which is a pay demotion. The benefits are too expensive to get. Our turn around is 112% (probably higher now) people start then quit in a month as they realize they are talked to like an idiot, under paid and not appreciated. I've been asked several times why they have a hard time keeping people and the reality is no amount of money is worth being talked down to on a daily basis and called "idiots" or bluntly told we do nothing. Pay your employees more!

Lastly it's a daily battle to get any of my breaks (I'm here – more... for over 8 hours a day) and I'm lucky if I get my lunch break. I was told to be at work at least 10 mins before your start time but I have never been paid for the 10 mins prior and when i asked about that my Director sent me a corporate letter stating it's called "good work ethics" to arrive early.

I sit in a freezing (52 degree) building and have asked numerous times for someone to fix the heat. It's been 6 months and though a man came 5 times it's still at most 60 degrees in the room I sit.

The company that contracts us is an immature, pass the buck individuals that make over 200k a yr but don't know what a drive on the computer is let alone where their department keeps crucial papers. I see now why the previous lady left. You've been warned just like I was but I still took this position. – less
Security
Security Officer (Former Employee), Northbrook,IL and West Palm Beach,FLFebruary 25, 2015
I worked in both Illinois and Florida with this company I have worked from everything from a high end shopping mall in the North Shore, to condo buildings and gate house in Florida. It was a good stepping stone in my career for what I want to do.
A great stepping stone opportunity to new adventures.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Bloomington, MNFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: plenty of internet access, little supervision.
Cons: poor pay and benefits, lack of accountability.
A typical day in security would include patrols, viewing security cameras and monitoring systems, Customer Service, Operating phone counsels, and working alongside emergency personnel and the client when situations require it.

I learned valuable customer service skills and how to train other people into the positions they were coming into.

Management was distant, but interested in the overall health of the various accounts.

The hardest part of the job was the times one is required to stand post at one specific location for several hours at a time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with the employees at the location, learning what they do, and seeing the passion they put into their jobs.
Unprofessional and rude environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: hires unqualifed individuals in management
Need training in human resources
management needs replacing
co workers are to young
lacking communication
meeting new people
To watch over and make sure that the Security functions were working properly.
Assistant Director (Current Employee), Stockton, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: constantly busy, always different tasks, and employees were easy to work with
Cons: no benefits, no time off, little pay
Analyze and evaluate security operations to identify risks or opportunities for improvement through auditing, review, or assessment. Assess risks to mitigate potential consequences of incidents and develop a plan to respond to incidents.
Attend meetings, professional seminars, or conferences to keep abreast of changes in executive legislative directives or new technologies impacting security operations.
Collect and analyze security data to determine security needs, security program goals, or program accomplishments.
Communicate security status, updates, and actual or potential problems, using established protocols.
Not a good place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee), Greenfield, INFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: easy work
Cons: boring job
They are very unprofessional. They will hire anyone, there is no standards. The management does not care about you. All they care about is someone covers their shift. The insurance is horrible and they don't hire within. If you like very easy money and you just want to guard a door then this is the job for you.
Great part time work, wish it could be full time.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: very relaxed aptomosphere.
Cons: it's only a part-time job!
A typical day at work is from 1 am till 9 am, I would monitor surveillance cameras for any unauthorized entrance into truck yard in which I am posted.
very strict workplace even though management is the most irresponsible.
security guard (Former Employee), Pottstown, PAFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: good chemistry in between coworkers
Cons: management and supervisors
My typical day at Kmart would consist in monitoring cameras and walking the floor to deter theft. I learned a lot during my course their but on my own because management was very irresponsible. My coworkers were excellent people.
The College for Music
Security Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: getting to meet famous people
Cons: there is no room for advancement
I am located at Manhattan School of Music, so I enjoy that I get to listen to music all day whether it be opera, or jazz or maybe a piano or violin from the students. Everyone from the students to faculty is an absolute pleasure to be around. The hardest part of the job is having to maintain the phones, emails and guests coming in all at the same time, but it is also the best part; it keeps me on my toes.
Tedious
Security Guard (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Day consists of everyone assuming you do nothing when nothing happens, and nothing when something occurs. People view you as more of a nuisance than an asset.
Learning Experience
Security Officer (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: expanding my knowledge
Cons: limited lunch areas
I learned a lot about retail security. For example I would be observing and reporting for not just one specific building it was multiple buildings. Some of the guys who have done 10+ years have taught me ways to simplify but yet still be an effective security officer. For Example: Coworkers would tell me when I first started the short cuts for giving directions to customers.
Good company to work for
Security Manager (Current Employee), San JoseFebruary 11, 2015
Universal Protection is a good company to work for once your become management, i have learned a great deal responsibility, however the need for further training is required. life and work balance is tough one as a operations manager you are basically working 24/7.
Worst job I have ever had
Director of Security (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: excellent staff
Cons: client ran program
The contract client was unreasonable, unethical and unsupportive. The client dictated how the security program was run even outside of established ethical and legal guidelines.

Universal Protection Services Salaries