Universal Technical Institute

Universal Technical Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Outstanding Value of Employees (human capital)
REMOTE TERRITORY FIELD ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 22, 2015
I absolutely love working for UTI. The leadership is incredible and expectations are reasonable. There is room for growth if you want it, I didn't want to get into management because I was happy as a field admissions representative.

Unfortunately, I have to leave UTI because I am going back to school, which is outside of my assigned territory, so I can't do both, and even though UTI pays well and cares sincerely for their employees, I believe that what you become is far more valuable than what you get; that is why I chose to go back to school. I was sad to have to leave UTI, but even upon my departure the company continued to take care of us and offer praise and thanks for my services. I felt truly valued.

This is indeed one of the best companies I have ever had the privilege to work for, and it was very hard to leave - the only reason I did was because I had to follow my heart, and my own path, to gain an education in information systems, which takes me away from UTI. I have absolutely no problems with the school, it took good care of me, and my students who I helped to secure their dream jobs. Highly recommend UTI as a great place to work!
Pros
Excellent pay, outstanding and professional culture, well-informed leadership who cares about/values employees
Cons
In my position, I traveled over 30, 000 miles per year and experienced some limited time with family
Great Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 22, 2016
While the culture and the people are great to work with, the management is not. Too many people telling you what to do but not leading by example. There was a time when the management team knew the value of the people, that can no longer be said and has little to do with the CEO who encourages a work/life balance.
The REWARDING side of things...
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 20, 2016
I love what I do daily. I clock in, I check my calendar (Outlook) to see what tasks I have for that day. I learned that being organized helps a lot. I help currently enrolled students find part time work, a "survival job" is what I would call it, and help graduates find their Career Jobs. It's very rewarding to me! My co-workers are more like my FAMILY. We all work great together. There is nobody better than the other. If one is lacking, the other helps out. This job is not hard. There is nothing hard about it. When you have the PASSION, hard is not an option. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the smiles on my students faces after getting a job, and the smile when they're graduating because they've accomplished something!
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Only 8 hours a day to help students...
Good staff but lousy work conditions
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MaJuly 9, 2015
Senior management is too removed from the needs of the students and staff to foster a pleasant work/student environment. Most of the staff must live with minimal annual raises (1%) while senior management get hefty stock options several times a year. Benefit plans that are bleeding the rank and file dry, are free to senior management,

Co-workers are what make this school bearable. The staff genuinely care about the students and really go the extra distance to help the students graduate.
Pros
Working with students and dedicated staff
Very Exhausting Place to Work
Military Admissions Director (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 14, 2015
UTI has a habit of keeping people on board by paying them well above the industry standard. The advancement is based on whether a person is liked and not on the accomplishments.
Pros
Pay and compensation
Cons
No room to advance
Excellent training procedures. Many advancement opportunities
Education Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 23, 2016
Far and away the most professional place I've worked in my 20+ yr career. Excellent corporate structure fixated on operating leaps and bounds above the board. Entire company is dedicated to the advancement of not only the students but the employees. The training and development models used here will be something I'll adopt to my personal growth for years to come.
Pros
Best culture, terrific employees, high ethical standards.
Cons
Not enough campuses nationwide, especially in the northwest.
Easier Said than done
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 3, 2016
Reasonable management. I learned a lot more in depth than the regular curriculum and the way students absorbed information based on different learning techniques. The hardest part of the job was finding certain small bits of information that were irrelevant to the students academics. The most enjoyable part was being able to see the customers progress and start to understand the material. Wonderful co-workers.
Pros
free coffee, great co-workers
Cons
only possible get up to 30 hours a week
Professional environment utilized my love of teaching
Instructor / Technical Team Leader (TTL) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2016
I worked at UTI on two separate occasions. I performed well, but the trade school enrollment fluctuates, which resulted in necessary reductions in workforce both times I was employed there. I was assigned my own classroom and shop area where I provided technical as well as hands-on instruction for classes of up to 25 students. The hardest part of the job was dealing with sometimes unmotivated students, but the most enjoyable part was making breakthroughs and seeing them learn and ultimately graduating from the program.
Pros
satisfaction of watching students learn and then graduate
Cons
fluctuating enrollment which caused periodic RIFs
I enjoy working with staff and teachers especially the students
Field Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2016
its a lot of hours and traveling away from home. with recent family dynamics changes. I am looking for work with a more set schedule and closer to home. I have been offered leadership positions over the years, but all were out of state.
hardest part of the job would be the amount of hours to dedicate to the job.
the best part of the job is seeing your students graduate and get employeed
They don't practice what they preach
Admissions (Former Employee) –  SacramentoMay 22, 2015
They have a great culture in theory and words but they don't practice what they preach. Management preaches one thing and does another. There are a lot of good people that work at UTI and unfortunately feel stuck for whatever reason and stay with the company even though they dread going into work everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the students. That's it.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Immature management, outdated processes and technology, weak healthcare benefits
very different
Active Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 17, 2016
With working for a different type of school prior to employment here it was a very different environment. I enjoyed working with the company however the software that was being used was very manual and behind in times. You did have a more close net relationship with your co-workers because the school is small and the holidays are very festive.
Pros
holidays, smaller company
Cons
lots of people with family ties within company, too much work due to software limits and tight time lines
Great company who cares about their people
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJune 14, 2016
UTI is a great company to work for. Most have a positive attitude that is contagious and all departments share in the same goal which is making sure that student comes first. All departments collaborate together to ensure a positive outcome for the students.
Pros
Positive attitude, goal driven peers
Cons
High sales goals, weekends required
Uti 2016
Current-Employment Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 9, 2016
UTI was a great company. As it has suffered regulatory government scrutiny the leadership has not been able to react responsibly or appropriately in a manner to grow company profits. Its a difficult thing to watch but being that they have little drive except to keep the doors open and suffer heavily from rampant cronyism and nepotism it should be expected. The company suffers from corporate dogma, and big dumb company syndrome. It will benefit greatly from a move to non profit and a change in at least 50% board members, along with a new CFO and CEO.
Uti
Senior Student Affairs Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2016
Great place to work but very demanding. Some departments are more flexible than others.
The schedule is an intense every 3 weeks.--
Yes...orientation, registration, and graduation.
It can be come very routine and overwhelming.
Pros
Students appreciate your efforts
fun and productive work place
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 11, 2016
its an amazing place to work, I would like to come back to work there as an instructor in the future after a couple of years of turning wrenches. Friendly staff and the facility is huge
Pros
learned a lot
great place to work!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 27, 2016
great place to work. the down grade for job culture was mainly because of the particular position I held and how it was not for me.
Pros
flexible hours and great environment
Cons
some times having un reasonable expectations
Applied For a Position
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2016
They sent me a Email that I would not be considered for a Maintenance position. I guess they are lost on hiring high end candidates that can get the job done. Never have I had an email sent like this I my long successful career!!!
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Great Pay
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJuly 7, 2016
Pro is great pay. Work hours very but during the school year plan on 70 hours or more per week. Values and mission statement are great but some don't follow them.
Great sense of community
Financial Aid Processor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2014
A typical day at work involves interacting with team members and campus personnel regarding Verification procedures for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Since I began my journey with Universal Technical Institute I have learned a significant amount about financial aid and what it means to be a part of a very supportive community. Whether the issue at hand is work-related or personal, co-workers and management alike will gladly offer support to those in need, making this the most enjoyable part of my job.
The hardest part of my job would include the monotony of the process of verification. However, the presence of supportive co-workers greatly contributes to the motivation needed to continue doing the work that helps our students become successful.
Pros
free coffee, on-site restaurant, healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules
Cons
little room for advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Aid Advisor and Veteran Affairs Liaison (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILJune 4, 2016
Productive and fun place to work. Students and staff all motivated to see successful results from education UTI provides.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Technical Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Universal Technical Institute Reviews by Location