University at Albany

University at Albany Employee Reviews

Fun environment to work in
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 25, 2015
As a student assistant for the preforming arts center at the University at Albany,I essentially took on the role of set-up, ushering, and clean-up for theatrical shows. This job gave me an experience of a field that I was no familiar with and it was exciting to submerge myself in a new job environment. Management was very friendly and approachable and made sure all tasks were delegated before shifts. Co-workers were very helpful. Hardest part of the job is that it was not very demanding or challenging. The biggest perk was being able to attend a variety of shows.
A good place to work
Personnel Associate (Current Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 11, 2015
UAlbany is a good place to work depending on what position you have, where you are placed to to whom you report. I gained a lot of experience while working at UAlbany.
Wonderful Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 8, 2015
It was a great experience. The only con about the position is the lack of compensation the university provides. They only provide school credit for the job which is not fair.
Helping students learn.
CARSS - Project Support Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: the opportunity to help groups of students succeed
Worked with students and helped them learn and succeed. I learned how to effectively explain things to students who did not understand mathematical or physics concepts. I gained a deeper and more thorough understanding of physics as well.
Slow with Little hours
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYDecember 14, 2014
It was filled with shredding & answering telephones. I craved a more energetic environment.
Fun time to meet new people and have a great time learning
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Albany NYOctober 31, 2014
Taught undergraduate science students in a chemistry laboratory class.
Energetic and productive place to work
Wellness Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYOctober 8, 2014
Being a wellness assistant played an important role in my life. I learned skills ranging from team leadership to large scale marketing. My supervisors were always there to guide me in the process and also provided excellent advise and support.
Productive fun work environment.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: amazing team building activities, group morale always high
Cons: sacrificing a weekend to be on duty
As a residents assistant you need to be able to work closely with others. It was a fun experience with your residents as well as staff. The job becomes like your second family and help you manage the daily requirements of the job. Being on duty you never know what to expect. You may have a smooth night or you may end up writing many incident reports. Overall it is still a great work experience.
Attend monthly meetings of faculty, students and staff
Senate Parliamentarian (Current Employee), Albany, NYAugust 25, 2014
Mostly the job requires contact with the Chair to make them confident with meeting procedures.
Working with students
Resident Director (Current Employee), Albany, NYAugust 9, 2014
Working in residence life is extremely student focused. Each living area is set up in quads with a 22 foot tower, except the apartments. There are 8 low rise buildings with about 100 residents each and the tower holds about 400 residents.
n/a
Security and Staff Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 24, 2014
job was ok,no support from supervisors.it was ok,pay and bennifits were good.
Interesting
Tutor Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYMay 29, 2014
I am a tutor in the SUNY-Albany when I was undergraduate, the job is interested, I reviewed lots of materiel from teaching the students
productive and great learning experience
Landscaper (Former Employee), Albany, NYMay 22, 2014
A typical day at work was basically a routine. I was given job assignments each day and had to complete them by the end of the day. I learned how to manage my time correctly, work as a team, and lead by example. My co workers ranged from the age of 18-50. Very relaxed and safe environment to work. The hardest part of the job was working outdoors in very hot weather other than that my job was ran very smoothly. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the atmosphere was very friendly and everyone got along.
Great People, great facilities, up-and-coming Research U
Graduate Intern Spring Semester (Current Employee), Albany, NYApril 18, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: parking
Though I'm doing an unpaid internship, I've spent 3 semesters on this campus, giving me first hand information on the culture, climate, pay, benefits of working at UAlbany. The culture is inclusive, the climate is collegial, the pay on the administrative side is the best in the Albany-Troy-Schenectady-Saratoga area, and there is room for lateral movement and advancement.

Down side is the extremely large size of the campus and of the campus parking lot. You will likely always find parking, it's just a matter of how far away from the building you are. Be prepared to walk!
Great Professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 8, 2014
Grade assignments, create assignments, and discuss ideas to cover in class.
Independent and academic work environment
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Working in Dr. Alexander Shekhtman's lab is the happiest job I can have. I was encouraged to have numerous trial with my own ideas on research projects.
We have people from different countries and we share different ideas on each others' projects.
Most of the time, you need to individually deal with all your work. We have very few co-working issue.
I have learned a lot of new biochemical techniques and knowledge in my work. And every new project is a totally exciting new challenge.
Student- Athlete at Suny Albany
Student-athlete at UAlbany/ Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Albany, NYDecember 12, 2013
Pros: winning a championship and going to the ncaa tournament playing duke made my 4 years worth it, i wouldn't of changed my experience for anything.
Cons: i honestly can't say there was a problem because i was doing something that i loved.
My Schedule was heavily consisted of school work and basketball. Here's my daily schedule for the past for years:

5:00 a.m.- wake up and eat breakfast
6:00- 8:45a.m.- practice
10:25a.m.- 2:35p.m. - Class
3:30-4:45p.m.- Lift
6:00-8:00p.m.- Study Hall
8:00- SLEEP
very good indeed
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Albany, NYDecember 1, 2013
I am delighted to be with you. very accommodating company and helpful
fun workplace
Danes after Dark Student Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYJune 7, 2013
Very friendly and team work oriented workplace. Had to know how to start work on your own. Fun atmosphere.
challenging and rewarding
Teaching Assistant University (Current Employee), Albany,NYMarch 23, 2013
I am currently working under an assistant ship. The University at Albany is a University that offers bachelor and masters and doctorate degrees.