University at Buffalo Employee Reviews

Friendly coworkers and lots of learning opprtunuites.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 1, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of cleaning the lab area, a task that was repeated several times throughout the day as students came in and out. Cleaning and testing equipment was conducted weekly, and in my downtime I manned the lab's office and distributed work materials to the students. Occasionally I would help with office work such as filing and organization.
The many things I took away from this job include interpersonal cooperation, office skills, organization skills, and some skills with tools.
The management of the lab was hands-off. My direct supervisor was kept busy with his own work, and after assigning tasks, he left me and my co-workers to our own devices.
My coworkers and I worked closely together. We divided the work among us, and often were required to come up with creative solutions to finish our work without disturbing the students.
The hardest part of my job was testing containment showers and eyewash stations. It was a time consuming task which required at least two people, and often resulted in being splashed by water.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the dental students. They were kind enough to be accommodating when we moved around the lab, and often grateful that we cleaned their workstations and equipment so often.
Cons
Long periods of waiting in between tasks
Inspirational Job
Senator/ Finance Committee (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 29, 2012
This job was basically to determine the budget for the undergraduate students, and determine where the money that every attending student pays to the Student Association will be spent. There were bi-weekly meetings to determine the upcoming bi-weekly spending and account the previous bi-weekly spending's.

This job was crucial in helping me understand how to work with large groups of people, and allocate large sums of money from one branch to another through reasoning members of student association to only think in a set way. This was also the hardest part of the job, each member had different clubs and organizations that were responsible for their votes, and thus they had obligations to increase the semester budget to say 15k-20k, but which meant shortening other clubs that others were reliable to. It was a great task and learning experience to be able to get everyone thinking in unison.

I learned to manage effectively, became leader of 11 other senators that were elected. Became the member of the finance committee, which further my involvement in our monetary system that was set up. Updated the system that was previously set up. And I found what I wanted to do in life was to sell and trade, and found biology which i always liked was not what i wanted to do.
Friendly work place that allowed direct contact with customers and patrons.
CIT Public Sites Consultant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJune 19, 2013
The typical day at work would consist of a simple 4 hour shift. I would help patrons with their print outs and technical computer problems. There were 4 public computing cites which were managed by at least two co-workers at all times. Each of my co-workers would have the same capabilities and responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was when work was slow. I would be waiting for questions or problems to come up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help each parton with any problem. It gave me a sense of belonging to the community.
Pros
relaxed work place
Cons
low working hours
Work life at UB
Crew (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 25, 2015
A typical day working in the UB food court is non stop work even if there isn't anything left to do. The managers would come and tell you to find something to do even though you've completed all your tasks at your station. The management is extremely strict however my co-workers were all nice people. I made some good friends and good memories while working there. The hardest part of the job was yelling out order numbers in the dining hall because it's always loud. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with my co-workers.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Always have to be doing something even when there isn't anything to do
Amazing place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 18, 2014
Learning and application is at its maximum. Rolling out orders in less than the stipulated average time was overwhelming. I learned a lot in terms of time management and optimal level of customer satisfaction. Co-workers are, to use one word, simply superb. They helped me fit in and learn everything. They were always supportive and made me learn from my mistakes. They were more than willing to help me initially, so that I could deliver my best.
Pros
free lunches/dinners. quite flexible.
Cons
none that i can think of
Hostile Work Environment
Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 23, 2015
As a Research Coordinator at the Center for Clinical Research, I can attest to the fact that the leadership at the CTRC is sorely lacking. There is no direction from the supervisors. There is no orientation period. You are expected to perform your duties without basic instruction of all that the position entails. I found this to be a hostile work environment. Professionalism is lacking. The Human Resource Department was unsupportive of staff issues. Could be a great place to work with different leadership.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
the negative treatment you have to endure for good pay and benefits
Developed a Methodology for Knowledge Discovery in Engineering Design
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2014
• Worked with Dresser-Rand to apply the KTI inventory model to the compressor’s return channel design process as a case study and understanding the deviations between "as-implemented" and "as-prescribed" design processes via interviews with 8 designers
• Understand and analyze deviations as emergent system behavior, since it is critical to implementing a process that optimizes information infrastructure and firm knowledge
• Proposed the captured design processes for training purposes, capturing knowledge from engineers who are about to retire and KBE systems.
Productive graduate research environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 27, 2015
I have been worked and studied at UB for ~2 years. I am able to make my own hours as a graduate student in a research position, so day-to-day work varies. In this position, I was able to take classes in GIS, Remote Sensing, and Statistics in the Geology Department, as well as increase my experience in UNIX environments and with various code/scripting languages through work with the Engineering department. The university has an extensive course list for most areas of study.
Exciting and fun to watch the college athletes perform
Athletic Events Staff (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 27, 2015
Working as the Athletic Event Staff at The State University of New York at Buffalo was fun. Usually the day of the game we would have to work which would be for minimum 6 hours but the manager was very nice so would be able to work throughout the 6 hours properly. At times it would get a little difficult as we had to work outside and weather in Buffalo is very rough so its kinda difficult but overall with other co-workers our work would get done properly.
Productive and fun work enviornment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 27, 2015
It gets busy during the afternoon hours with students coming in and making appointments with counselors. I learned that even during rush hour, you must also maintain good customer service to students. Co-workers here are really friendly and they would often bake treats for everyone else in the office.
Pros
linked in workshop, resume review, bake goods
Cons
short hours
Undewhelming and lackluster school
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 14, 2014
Learning/reviewing course material.
Aerospace-mechanical engineering.
Professors cared more about their research than doing an excellent job of teaching and explaining the course material.
Plenty of students who care about learning, working-hard, teamwork, and moving forward with their dreams.
Hardest part was understanding and applying course material to real-world applications.
Most enjoyable part was finally graduating.
Pros
"cheap" tuition
Cons
where do i start?
comprehensive research-intensive public university
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 31, 2013
Maintain a collaborative research agenda that emphasizes multidisciplinary scientific inquiry and discovery, explore and pursue extramural funding to support faculty research, educate undergraduate and graduate students, and engage in service to the community, university, and professional organizations.
Pros
mentoring students and seeing them successfully gradute and acruire meaning full jobs
Cons
publish or perish, success measured by the amount of money brought in
Producutive work place
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 2, 2014
Overrall, I learned a lot about customer service and being able to provided and answer questions for people. I learned a lot about mannerism and professionalism. Also, punctuality was a skill that I got better with. Co workers were fun and out going, managment was good. Most fun part was I was able to get school work as well as the job it self done , without either conflicting.
Productive and good learning experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 7, 2015
A good place to work with good instructors. I have handled classes with strength up to 200 students with ease. The constant vigil of the instructors and the course design has helped me not only to manage the students but also learn a lot about the courses. Holding regular office hours and answering to students' questions have given me more insight into the course itself
Graduate School
Teaching Assistantship & Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 12, 2014
The University at Buffalo (SUNY) department of sociology is an excellent location to achieve a graduate level degree. The department is competitive and collaborative in ways that challenge the student to achieve higher levels of academic, research, and literary aptitude. The vast specialties of the faculty provide expertise in broad and narrow areas of research that accentuate the skill sets that are needed in the work environment.
Customer Service, Prioritize tasks. Resource Management, Consultant
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 8, 2014
Working part time at college really helps in making the best use of time. I could learn to manage my heavy course workload and the hectic job schedules perfectly, which gives me immense pleasure. Interaction with other students at the workplace, responsibility to manage the resources at the workplace was a good experience.
Productive and fun place
Medicinal Chemistry Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 12, 2014
A typical working day involves with experiments and paper reading. It was a good and productive place to work. Nice coworkers, people would discuss about experiments and articles. The hardest part was that there were always a lot of projects and deadlines, and you really had to work late sometimes. All in all, a great place.
Student job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 22, 2014
Typical office assistant job. Days were short which freed up more time to study outside of the office. Taught systems administrative tasks by my employer. Very nice atmosphere. Never felt so comfortable going to work. Knowledge of how an office works is what I am most appreciative for.
Pros
office experience
It is nice place to study and work !
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 3, 2014
I enjoy my life in SUNY buffalo overall, I have learned a lot through my research and teaching assistant experience in past years from advisor. My primary focus on mobile and cloud computing development. In addition, the most important thing i have learned from this position is independent study and self-learning.
Intervarsity Chapter President
Intervarsity at Buffalo Chapter President (Former Employee) –  University at BuffaloSeptember 15, 2013
I had a blessed experience serving as the chapter President for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship at Buffalo. Though the semester was very eventful, it was also full of tremendous learning experiences. Leading a chapter in spiritual growth and positive community building was a challenge but also a deeply satisfying endeavor.
Pros
excellent peers, terrific national support

4.2