University at Buffalo Employee Reviews

Good combination of work/study
Public Sites CIT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 22, 2017
Working a the University at Buffalo as a CIT Public sites consultant is the perfect job for a full-time student. I am able to get the desired amount of hours each week which is never overwhelming and am also able to work on my studies when work is slow.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great supervisors
Nice place
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 20, 2017
There are many great opportunities provided by Department of Mathematics. It is one department that providing many different concentrations. We not only have applied and pure math, also provides actuarial math, math education and so on. At the same time, it collaborates with many other majors. It shares courses with computer science and (bio-)statistics department, which helps to learn more areas and find the best fit among math and all these expansions of math.

Additionally, Department of Mathematics is one of the very few departments in UB offering undergraduate students opportunities to be a teaching assistant. It is a great experience especially for the students interesting in teaching or considering master or higher degree.
Workplace culture is great.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 20, 2017
Workplace culture is great. The supervisors were knowledgable, professional, and nice. My coworkers were from Iran, China, and of course America with different color. We worked together well. Sometimes things happened, but my supervisors could handle it in peace. I loved that place.
Horrible Experience
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 12, 2017
My supervisor told me after being here seven months that my contract would not be renewed. I still had five months to go on my contract. I had an evaluation that told me nothing about the quality of my work. I wasn't given a reason for my termination, because UB doesn't have to if you're not a permanent employee.

If you have a good supervisor, it can be a nice place to work. If you had a terrible one, like I did, it can be extremely stressful.
Pros
Good benefits, lots of PTO
Cons
Low salaries, bad supervisors
Amazing
campus dining / Food truck operator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 10, 2017
They are a great start out company, willing to work with you and for you. Great for teaching experience and success. The other employees are very through in their training and they do not set you up to fail
Very friendly work enviornment
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 29, 2017
Every supervisor I have had while working here has been kind and friendly and made me feel welcome in the workplace. They always allow for advancement
Its okay, i guess
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 14, 2017
This is a nice place to work in terms of work load. Unfortunately this is Buffalo and it is very hard to get funding for research projects. If you are truly interested in research then find a better university.
Fun atmosphere
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYMarch 8, 2017
Athletic training students at the University at Buffalo are treated like members of the team and are privileged to knowledge if they ask. Great group of athletic trainers to work with.
Good Work life balance
Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 5, 2017
A great place with really work as you are an end stack developer and need to know a variety of technologies. Handling all the deployments gives you a lot of responsibility. Cross domain experience is obtained while performing Social Experiments.
Pros
Loads of Freedom, WFH
Cons
Heavily Taxed
Wonderful place to work
STUDENT UNION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 28, 2017
The students and staff in Student life are an incredibly welcoming bunch. I enjoyed working with them and getting to know them. typical work day as a union manager consisted of helping groups facilitate their event by providing whatever they need (tables, chairs, electronic devices etc) Learned a lot about teamwork and trusting your co-workers. Management was very nice, understanding and had a positive attitude, definitely loves UB.
Pros
Able to do homework when it was slow
Cons
no breaks
Secure job with great benefits
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14260February 9, 2017
The job consists of a set of tasks for each individual, each day, based on the areas or buildings they will be stationed in. The tasks can be time consuming and can sometimes require multitasking. Time management is the most useful skill for this job. Day-to-day schedule is consistently routine, especially when classes are in session.
Pros
Number of breaks, great benefits, go at your own pace
Cons
Required to cover absent co-workers, long probation
Overall a good university to be in.
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 2, 2017
Balanced Lifestyle
Reasonable Stores nearby
Fun workplace
Spin Instructor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Management could be better at communicating with their employees. Overall a fun place to work. I can't really complain about getting paid to exercise.
Pros
My job is fun.
Cons
Class sizes are small
Excellent University
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Research labJanuary 18, 2017
UB is an awesome place to learn and socialize. With world famous professors, and state of the art labs, UB research facilities are setting the bar high for research industry.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 12, 2017
See from resume below

Was responsible for teaching and assisting incoming/potential engineering freshman with understanding basic mathematical and physical principles. Students were tasked with communicating with each other and cooperating together to complete their miniature golf courses on 4x8 boards of wood. My job was to assist the instructor with overseeing each group’s progress and supervising any and all students utilizing the labs power tools
Good place to study and work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 21, 2016
Just like the atmosphere in Buffalo, University at Buffalo has a very friendly job culture, and is an ideal place to do scientific research without being annoyed by different stuffs.
Internship
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2016
I got this job as part of an internship and assisted office employees with their daily task and everyone was friendly and nice. For the most part it was enjoyable to show up.
good job
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYNovember 17, 2016
Great office culture and work life balance. People are extremely friendly, helpful. Good opportunity for growth and to learn professionally .
fun
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Flint, NYOctober 12, 2016
i learned to communicate more with customers and how to provide them with the best help and to make them happy. I love to have a huge responsibility to treat people with respect and kindness. I love to make a great connection with customers so I can be a leader and be successful like I want to be I love communicating with people.
Pros
the love people show
Cons
communication
Free to think and manage school work
Internship - 3-D Laboratory Technican (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 3, 2016
Control 3-D printers in a operational conditions.

Assist graduate student to per print job with printer software.

Co-workers and I have communication method through email and google drive even through most of the time we won't be seeing each other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University at Buffalo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3