University Bookstore

University Bookstore Employer Reviews

Great job for a student
Textbook Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: working around other students
Cons: minimum wage pay. part-time.
This job was excellent and accommodated my schedule as a full-time student at Texas State University. On a typical day assisted various-aged students with understanding of necessary classroom materials, answered questions pertaining to textbooks, organized and maintained the textbook area, and provided insight to new students of all ages and backgrounds. During the course of this position I greatly improved my customer service skills and my ability to maintain a polite and professional demeanor. My co-workers were various students so we got along well, and the management was great and worked with my busy school schedule.
Friendly atmosphere, can get really crazy during "rush week"
Textbook Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 23, 2014
Pros: cafe, tons of nearby restaraunts
A typical day at work consists of buying back student textbooks, making returns and processing transactions. A few things I learned are how to use the RATEX system to look up inventory, orders and other information. Hardest part of the job but also the most fun is during "rush week". It starts at the beginning of the school quarter where hundreds of students will be purchasing textbooks or returning them and asking questions about classes.
Great place to work, hard to make a living.
Employee (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INJune 30, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, flexible hours.
Cons: short breaks, low pay.
If you love people and retail, you'll love it here. It's a mini family of sorts and management have all been there for many many years and they know what they're doing. The pay is low, and mostly part time jobs, but it's a great part time job. It's easy to learn how things work and easy to stay employed for a long time because of the personalities involved. Show up, do your job, laugh and get to know people - no worries.
This company was bought out and closed by a nearby university.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIMay 6, 2014
Pros: discounts on books
Cons: the store was only busy at the beginning and end of semesters.
Though this company no longer exists it was a wonderful job to work while going to school.
Productive Workplace
Student Supervisor (Current Employee), Edwardsville, ILApril 9, 2014
I really enjoyed working at the Bookstore. I really learned a lot and it was a great experience.
Exciting place to work with great people.
Cashier (Current Employee), Tigerville, SCMarch 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job is that I can go in and be greater with respect and love and also they don't tell me to do this they kindly ask me if I can work on things. A typical day consist of projects the managers give me such as count inventory, stock shelves, run to the business office for requisitions and cash vouchers. All co-workers work together as a team and respect each other.
Excellent place to have your first job
Student Supervisor: Student Textbook Buyers (Current Employee), Columbia, MOJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules, great management, room for promotion
Cons: must be a student to be a permanent sales associate.
As a student at a major University, finding a balance between school and work can be difficult at times. While working at the Mizzou Store, I was able to work the amount of hours that my class schedule would allow and not be overwhelmed. I was also able to take on more hours in a week if my course load was light and less if I was having a particularly busy week. The managers were very understanding about the fact that we were students, so they would try their hardest to accommodate our busy schedules. The Mizzou Store is also a place where hard workers do not go unnoticed. I started as a textbook associate and as time passed by a gradually climbed the ladder, until I became the student supervisor of textbook buyers. I really have enjoyed my time working at the University Store and will remember it fondly when I graduate.
High School Job
Sales and Inventory Associate (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILNovember 10, 2013
A job I had in college that helped to make some money. No complaints
Flexible and understanding
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 10, 2013
The University bookstore works with the hours that fit with your class schedule. Great managers and a wonderful, friendly atmosphere!
Flexible hours for college students
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INMay 16, 2013
UBS offers flexible hours for college students and will allocate schedules to fit around coursework and extra curricular activities, though it does require some weekends and overtime during the busy periods.

Departments include apparel, office supplies, and textbooks.
Students and Faculty were served well.
Assistant Manager / Textbook Manager (Former Employee), Edinburg, TXMay 3, 2013
The University Bookstore was very focused of the group they were serving.
One of the head cashiers
Cashier (Former Employee), Columbia MOMarch 21, 2013
Cashier, checking out students, teachers, standing all day in one place, making sure customers received their discounts on their purchases, and straightening shelves. I learned how to run a cash register and figured different discounts and count money back and balancing my drawer out after closing. Management had to hire so many different peoples. The other head cashiers were the ones who trained me. I liked most of my co-workers, it was very busy and I didn't get to know most of them. The hardest part of my job was standing in one spot all day and also it became very fast pace with long lines of customers. Most enjoyable part was seeing all the different types of people come through the lines and interesting things we sold.
Fast-Paced and Friendly Environment.
Textbooks Associate (Former Employee), Columbia, MOJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: due to fast pace, very quick days, pleasant and knowledgeable clientele
Cons: only a handful of people work for the bookstore longer than a month, vastly seasonally-bound.
I worked at the University bookstore for their seasonal Early Bird program, it was a seasonal job, but it was carried out nearly flawlessly thanks to returning hires. In an average day, at the start of the month-long ordeal, you walk in the doors and wait for the rest of the seasonal hires to arrive, when everyone is accounted for, the group moves as a unit to the truck loading bay, where everyone was promptly given a stack of pre-cut cardboard and instructed on how to fold the cardboard into boxes. Thousands of boxes, these boxes were promptly set aside into several empty trucks (very hot weather when I worked there, so dress accordingly), later these boxes will be filled with orders of books filled out from students who will be attending the university for the upcoming semester. Part of the Textbooks crew is meanwhile going to be responsible for collecting the books set aside for each order to be placed within the boxes the other half of the crew would be building in the meantime. When all of the orders have been collected and set aside with the customer's name and information on it, then the real work begins. Roughly two weeks before the start of the semester, students begin to come into the bookstore with the intention of picking up their pre-ordered books, hundreds at a time, so there is absolutely no downtime, luckily there's a small fleet of textbooks associates to make sure that everyone is taken care of, but it's still difficult to keep up pace with all of the students at the beginning. Management is very knowledgeable, if slightly awkward when it comes to teaching – more... new hires, I noticed that a lot of the seasoned re-hires did a lot of supplementary teaching. Co-workers were kind of hit-and-miss, like one would expect from a University, there were some people who seemed like the only reason they were there was because their parents told them to get a job, but then you also got people who were clearly young professionals, and they were the best at the job, typically they were the re-hires. I found the best part of the job was that generally management didn't micromanage, so most of the day was freeform working as the store needed, so if you're OCD and love front-facing product, you can do that all day, if you're a people person, you can help out customers for the day, there was a lot of freedom. I found the most difficult part of the day was whenever families were dissatisfied with the cost of the books that were required for class, and took issue with me, as if I set the prices, but that was very rare, maybe happened once per day, and based on the number of customers, that was a very respectable amount. – less
Not a lot of fun to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Frankfort, ILNovember 5, 2012
Employees shuffle in and out all the time. Daily routine is very boring. Constantly on your feet folding clothes.
liked it
cashier (Former Employee), Madison, WIJuly 16, 2012
i got to work on campus for this job in madison. i got along with my manager. the hardest thing for this job would be trying to find a parking spot since it was down town area.
little bit boring
Customer Service- Textbook department (Former Employee), Columbia, MOMay 30, 2012
depends on what your job is, different position has different feels.
Okay place
Kiosk Staff (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMay 26, 2012
It is okay to work for, has decent pay for what your mostly doing. Some of the people in middle management need to be fired, but never will be.
good student job
Cashier (Former Employee), Kent, OHMarch 22, 2012
This job was perfect for being a student. Not a lot of room to grow, although many diverse tasks were available.
Great place... if you're a customer
Sales Lead (Current Employee), SeattleMarch 8, 2012
Pros: cool floor staff, informal atmosphere, laissze faire management, (until they arbitrarily hammer you)
Cons: poor health benefits, low pay, no opportunity for growth, arbitrary management
The University Book Store is not without its merits. It has a storied history in the Puget Sound region, and deservedly so. It is a large independent bookseller which is thriving in a near hostile environment for all things book. It has a wealth of goods and services. It employs bright, friendly, genuinely helpful staff (ahem... ok, I may be biased here). It is a FANTASTIC place... for customers.

As an employee, I am completely unsatisfied. If you enjoy a fractious, quietly judgmental, arbitrary atmosphere with little room for advancement or growth, then the Book Store (dumb spelling, I know), is for you! I have seen dedicated, loyal, long term employees fired (or resign under duress) with little motivation or explanation. I have seen people with little experience or true grit favored and promoted. There are men and women who have put in over a decade here and continue to stay at the base pay rate while their benefits are slashed to ribbons.

The management seems to have an us against them attitude toward its employees. Rather than promoting teamwork, unity, and a sense of community, they sit in judgement, condescend, and use negative reinforcement.

That said, most of my co-workers are awesome!