University Hospital Employee Reviews

Excellent opportunities to expand experience
Blood Bank Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2017
This facility is the main trauma center in San Antonio and offers a very unique opportunity for those that work in the blood bank. While nearly all other blood banks have minimum patient/doctor/nurse interaction, this hospital require blood bank to participate directly with the patients in the trauma rooms. I was able to see the amazing work of all departments involved in saving people's lives and I was able to develop my mind to work in high stress (literally life or death) situations. The management was focused and present, giving feedback and updating the team on situations daily. The hardest part of this job was the unpredictability of pace. Some days were steady, others needed all hands on deck and them some, especially if there were multiple traumas combined with the scheduled surgeries for the day.
Pros
Direct interaction with patients/doctors/nurses
Cons
High Stress Environment
this hospital is the best
Unit clerk/secretary, Psychiatric department (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 19, 2017
It is the best place to work. I work in the psychiatric unit and its very fun to work there. We work as families and we all have respect for each others belief, religions, and cultures.
Environmental Services - Great Experience
Cleaner Intern (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 18, 2017
Environmental Services game me the opportunity to learn maintenance tasks, customer service and how to work above standards. I enjoyed all aspects of my internship especially working with Mr. Adams, my mentor.
Great Hospital
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2017
The hospital is a learning hospital with great leadership. The people care about their patients, students, and employees. They have an excellent campus.
a decent place to work with good benefits
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 8, 2017
typical day as a PCA is a day of hard work, you are constantly running for most of your shift. I learned that you have to be open to learn new things and that some things that you want to learn you simply have to ask. Management is okay, although they have their favorites. The culture of the workplace is not too bad, quite welcoming. The hardest part of the job is having so many patients that you do not have the time to spend enough time with everyone as you should or would like to. The most enjoyable part is seeing my patients come in with a very grim prognosis and seeing them have a complete turn around and get better and go home.
Pros
friendly environment, lots of things to learn
Cons
short breaks, some favoritism.
IU Health University Hospital
Registered Nurse, RN, PACU (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2017
IU Health has great education for their staff nurses. They really do their best to support you in your transition into a new unit/specialty. Teaching/learning hospital, where you get the opportunity to pick up a ton of knowledge off the residents and fellows who are still in learning mode themselves.
Pros
Great education for transition to new specialty/unit, high level of nursing care and technology administered, knowledgeable staff, teaching/learning hospital
Cons
Not the greatest culture of caring internally towards employees.
positive environment
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 7, 2017
Great environment, plenty of growth and advancement. loved my supervisors and co workers,secured job. Enjoyed my experience. Met a lot of great people.
Pros
secured job
Cons
longer vacation time
Uh
Assistant Nurse Manager, Oncology (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 6, 2017
Was a good place to work, enjoyed the patients and staff I worked with. i was on the same unit,oncology for 29yrs. Changes in management, caused me to leave.
Pros
excellent staff members
Cons
heavy pt loads
Great Place to work
Patient Informartion Desk Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 5, 2017
A typical day is balanced in what I do. I have no pressures with this position. The patients are very sweet, and respectable. I love working with the patients, may day is good day as opposed to anything else. I am grateful for all things and in all things I an grateful.
good place to work
Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 3, 2017
Start by receiving a report from PCA (patient Care Associate) from previous shift, to interact with pt before taking VS. good workplace and amazing culture. hardest to see people sick, the most enjoyable to see people heal.
Pros
good cafeteria
Good experience
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 27, 2017
Synchronized discharge planning and counseling for diabetic, OB/GYN and pediatric patients
Conducted client / patient interviews
Assisted victims of abuse
Secured shelter space for homeless patients
Assisted persons with social problems within the pediatric clinic
Completed patient referrals to community agencies for further assistance
Overwork and Underpaid
Emergency Room Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 27, 2017
Busy every day all day work in the ER Department. Never enough staff and management did not list too the employees. Great co-workers to work with. Pay was not great and you had to work hard in order to receive a pay raise.
Pros
Fun people to work with.
Cons
Short Staff
Financial Assistance Advisor
Financial Assistance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 23, 2017
I look forward into coming work every day. It's a very busy environment whom i have the pleasure for working in the hospital settings. My hardest part of my job is when i'm unable to help the patients with their needs.
Pros
great benefits and staff
Cons
no cons
great team
Surgery Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78229March 20, 2017
Great co workers. Managers weren't in direct contact with you to help or listen to your overall needs or discrepancies. I found it kind of difficult to approach certain floor sup. with some concerns.
Great job
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 20, 2017
Great place to work with patient. Supervision is great. The facility is very clean and pleasent. I enjoyed working at University working with the different patients
Mainly ortho hospital
RN (Current Employee) –  Chardon, OHMarch 16, 2017
Easy to work with the staff. Doctors are nice. Small hospital where everyone knows each other. Work with the same people most days. Easy to get days off. Most people work 4 days a week.
Pros
Not much call
Cons
Same cases everyday
you must be physically, emotionally and mentally fit to work here
Registered Nurse, Orthopedic Unit (Former Employee) –  Tamarac, FLMarch 9, 2017
typical work day is always challenging, you are distributed in many
pieces and you got to protect your license. Some departments ask you to take a much greater workload that you are not supposed to. Since they cant say no or else you will be written up. Culture is strange and questionable. Management only look and promote their favorite workers, others are just a number. There is little relationship between some managers and staff.
Pros
good place to start a career in nursing
Cons
no cooperation between management and staff
very rewarding place to work
Primary CT Lead technologist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 8, 2017
The University of Alabama Hospital at UAB is very challenging and reqarding. We are a Level 1 Trauma Center and have a large variety of specialists that care for patients from throughout the South East.
Pros
VERY Rewarding place to work, You can change a life every day!
Good teaching hosptial with good experience gained
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasMarch 3, 2017
Great management and the self scheduling helped to match personal and work times. Great teaching hospital with good physician and nurse communication.
Pros
good benefits and good management
Cons
pay was less than other jobs
Great experience with patients.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 1, 2017
Awesome place to work. Getting to know a lot of doctors, nurses and all kinds of health professionals was a great experience. Hopefully someday I can go back and work for such a great organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.