University Medical Center of Southern Nevada

University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Employer Reviews

An educational experience
Transplant Assistant (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 9, 2014
Pros: great people, great amount of patient care, well balanced
Cons: not enough support from upper management
Since starting, I have learned much about end stage renal disease and kidney transplantation. I have taken advantage of the opportunity to improve daily operations. It is a great place to work and I shall cherish my time there.
Nice and caring physician
Admit/Discharge Supervisor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 22, 2014
Physician treated you like family and made sure you understood how important you were to his company.
Nice hospital, unstable job security
Registered Nurse on Med (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: high pay, safe nurse to patient ratios, friendly co-workers
Cons: unstable employment, current lay-offs, little ability to move up due to union issues
Friendly staff and direct supervisor is friendly and accessible. Nurse to patient ratio is good. Job security is unstable whether a member of union or not. All decisions based on seniority and not job performance or skill set.
worse place to work
per diem (Former Employee), las vegas, nvMay 20, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: read review
You get hired as a per diem and get treated like dirt while you work harder than lazy regular full timers. Management is incompetent, lazy, and does nothing. Lots of cliques and drama, gossip, lies, and rumors that UMC is a haven for. Lots of overinflated egos, long term employees that think they can do no wrong. If someone doesnt like you, they will – more... bad mouth you until they get you fired. – less
Great place to work and practice laboratory medicine
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 2, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: load of work can be a lot most days
This is a Level 1 trauma centre and you will get exposed to a lot of cases here. Great place to work and learn a lot about laboratory medicine. It is also fully equipped with automated instruments and remains up to date in technology.
Educational and fun work environment
Admission Representative (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 6, 2014
Great team oriented environment with positive leadership.
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!
Senior Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee), Las VegasNovember 1, 2013
Pros: pay, retirement
Cons: management will stab you in the back
Even if you are really good at what you do this is a hellish place to work. They throw you to the wolves with no training and expect perfection! There are NO training manuals to help either.
I did pretty well because I had a lot of skills and could take the stress. I was promoted to a senior tech position after 4 years. Then I got injured on the job! – more... Suddenly I was on the managements s--t list and they did everything they could to make my life a living hell!! After 2 surgeries and they still had me doing heavy lifting work I decided to take an early retirement, and get the hell out of there while I still had some sanity left! Think - American Horror Story -asylum! – less
INTERNS BEWARE
Intern (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 25, 2013
Pros: what pro's
Cons: taking advntage unpaid college interns...lowest of the low
Interns do waaaaaaaaaay more than they are supposed to. And they love waving that permanent job carrot in your face only to yank it from you with the "no money in budget" excuse. INTERNS ARE THERE TO SHADOW AND OVERSEE A PROJECT ONLY NOT DO JOBS THAT A FULL-TIME BENEFITED PERSON IS PAID TO DO.
UMC Hospital is well diversed medical institution whose patient population are mostly the non-insured population of the state.
❸ Primary nurse (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 29, 2013
Pros: good/better retirement benefit such as the pers
Cons: our rn salary wage is not even comparable to the rest of the hospitals in the valley, umc is the lowest base paying rn salary in the valley
My unit is very challenging but the staff works together specially during critical and emergency situations. The acuity of the patients in our unit requires special skills to handle critical and emergency patient situations.
Beware of who you talk to or about....DON'T EVEN APPLY!!!
IT Customer Service (Former Employee), Las VegasMay 30, 2013
Pros: good employees, decent compensation / benefits
Cons: politics, union, lack of communication, little training, do as i say, not as i do.
UMC Management are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites and have a good 'ol boy network structure. You attend orientation, then you're thrown to the wolves. No training, no coaching, no structure. Micro management at it's finest! I received little or no training for my position and found out later that 2 others had declined the offer. I was the only – more... sucker dumb enough to take it. No backbone, every man for himself atmosphere. You're scrutinized beyond belief. I was let go halfway into probation for no reason. Never counseled, not a blemish on my performance. Got daily e-mails from my Director and Manager applauding me for my efforts and accomplishments, then one day, get called in and termed. Good employees, but management at all levels have no backbone, won't stand up for their employees. Sexual exploits with subordinates, etc. Total drama...if you're not liked and fall into the "clique", you're eliminated. No explanation given...they term darn good employees for no reason....left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing, constant confusion, everyone is in reaction mode.

STAY AWAY, especially if you move your family from outside Las Vegas. They'll leave you high and dry!

I did my research, thought it was a great opportunity, but homeboy doesn't do politics. – less
It was a pleasure to work for this company
Admision Representitive (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: caring, wonderful managers, co-workers.
Cons: county hospital
I worked at UMC for almost 11 years. I really enjoyed it. I have many different managers. Most of them good. This company really cares about there employees. I would go back there in an instant if i was living out that way again.
Dont Bother Applying If You Are Mexican
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Las VegasJune 30, 2012
Pros: bein a white applicant
Cons: being mexican applicant
Probably the most racist department in Las Vegas. They always claim you re under qualified.....like they didnt start not knowing a lot.
Former employee
Pharmeceutial (Former Employee), Las vegasJune 23, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: weak management
Good job security. I don't know who's more crazy.....there are days that co-workers are much more crazier than the patients. And poor management.
good benefits in an old system
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 6, 2012
Pros: free health insurance, great coworkers
Cons: paper charting, outdated equipment. low pay
Its an okay place to work. Paper charting in 2012! Enough said.
advancement and productivity
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 20, 2012
Pros: goverment discounts
Cons: management...
It's a good place to work, maybe even retire but the management really need more training.
Committment to patient care
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 26, 2012
Pros: staff
Cons: i no longer work at this facility
advanced teaching facility, great staff and good work flow.
Don't work here
Ex employee (Former Employee), UMC lvNovember 27, 2012
Pros: hourly pay
Cons: pharmacist and staff
The outpatient pharmacy are two faced they smile in your face but will twist your words around when they snitch on you they do it via email the worst ones are actually the pharmacist you would think that with a higher education you would be more humble the two Indian pharmacist are the ones you need to watch for they're married life sucks so they take – more... it out on the tech and customers – less