University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Employee Reviews

Worker Beware!!!
Traveler (Former Employee) –  SurgerySeptember 8, 2016
Horrible, horrible place to work. The staff in the O.R. is actually friendly and extremely helpful in certain situations. The charge and management do not believe in breaks and usually you have to call the desk to get a lunch. The hospital is so old the fire alarms go off almost daily while the front desk kicks and screams about patients being brought to room even with fire alarm alerted! I was a traveler here for 11 weeks and could not finish the remaining 2 due to poor management decisions, failure to get breaks or being relieved in a timely manner.
Pros
Cons
Enjoy the staff infection...
Nice facility
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 3, 2016
Administration keeps costs lower by having most of the employees as part time or per diem employees. The staff are very hard working and dedicated to the care of the patients.
Don't come!
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 23, 2016
As a previous management analyst, I don't think it is a good place to work at. Too many office politics. Please, don't come.
Benefits
I love it here
Unit Clerk (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2016
Worked here 1 year and always found a place and home here. Found management to be very supportive of staff. Able to move to different areas with supportive leadership.
Pros
Total learning experience.
Cons
not enough hours.
Always supportive and provided learning experiences. Worked with me to develop my talents
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 6, 2015
Worked here 17 years and always found a place and home here. Found management to be very supportive of staff. Able to move to different areas with supportive leadership
Pros
Total learning experience, loved making a difference daily
Cons
My disablity ultimately made it impossible to do long shifts
food service
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 23, 2015
very racial setting in the kitchen. black people were downgraded. they only love to be around white people. management was an outside division called Morrison/ Compass group. caught a lot of the managers calling black people lazy ni%$ers
Pros
lunch allowance, pay
Cons
ignorance and predjudice, slave drivers racist white managers.
New job
Unit Clerk (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2015
I just started here at the end of October. I can't really give an honest review as of yet. So far it's been great!
Management is OK.
Co-workers are OK
Pros
great food
Cons
parking for employees
internship
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVFebruary 9, 2016
It was an internship opportunity with the administrative staff at UMC. I was able to learn quite a lot during my time there.
worse place to work
per diem (Former Employee) –  las vegas, nvMay 20, 2014
You get hired as a per diem and get treated like dirt while you work harder than lazy regular full timers. Management is incompetent, lazy, and does nothing. Lots of cliques and drama, gossip, lies, and rumors that UMC is a haven for. Lots of overinflated egos, long term employees that think they can do no wrong. If someone doesnt like you, they will bad mouth you until they get you fired.
Pros
nothing
Cons
read review
Very fulling Job
Patient Account Services, Data Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2016
Because I ran my own Post Office as the Postmaster it was challenging and rewarding. One of the best jobs that I have ever had
Beware of who you talk to or about....DON'T EVEN APPLY!!!
IT Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las VegasMay 30, 2013
UMC Management are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites and have a good 'ol boy network structure. You attend orientation, then you're thrown to the wolves. No training, no coaching, no structure. Micro management at it's finest! I received little or no training for my position and found out later that 2 others had declined the offer. I was the only sucker dumb enough to take it. No backbone, every man for himself atmosphere. You're scrutinized beyond belief. I was let go halfway into probation for no reason. Never counseled, not a blemish on my performance. Got daily e-mails from my Director and Manager applauding me for my efforts and accomplishments, then one day, get called in and termed. Good employees, but management at all levels have no backbone, won't stand up for their employees. Sexual exploits with subordinates, etc. Total drama...if you're not liked and fall into the "clique", you're eliminated. No explanation given...they term darn good employees for no reason....left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing, constant confusion, everyone is in reaction mode.

STAY AWAY, especially if you move your family from outside Las Vegas. They'll leave you high and dry!

I did my research, thought it was a great opportunity, but homeboy doesn't do politics.
Pros
good employees, decent compensation / benefits
Cons
politics, union, lack of communication, little training, do as i say, not as i do.
Former employee
Pharmeceutial (Former Employee) –  Las vegasJune 23, 2012
Good job security. I don't know who's more crazy.....there are days that co-workers are much more crazier than the patients. And poor management.
benefits
Cons
weak management
Not for the faint of heart!
Senior Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) –  Las VegasNovember 1, 2013
Even if you are really good at what you do this is a hellish place to work. They throw you to the wolves with no training and expect perfection! There are NO training manuals to help either.
I did pretty well because I had a lot of skills and could take the stress. I was promoted to a senior tech position after 4 years. Then I got injured on the job! Suddenly I was on the managements s--t list and they did everything they could to make my life a living hell!! After 2 surgeries and they still had me doing heavy lifting work I decided to take an early retirement, and get the hell out of there while I still had some sanity left! Think - American Horror Story -asylum!
Pros
pay, retirement
Cons
management will stab you in the back
UMC Hospital is well diversed medical institution whose patient population are mostly the non-insured population of the state.
❸ Primary nurse (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 29, 2013
My unit is very challenging but the staff works together specially during critical and emergency situations. The acuity of the patients in our unit requires special skills to handle critical and emergency patient situations.
Pros
good/better retirement benefit such as the pers
Cons
our rn salary wage is not even comparable to the rest of the hospitals in the valley, umc is the lowest base paying rn salary in the valley
Nice hospital, unstable job security
Registered Nurse on Med (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 3, 2014
Friendly staff and direct supervisor is friendly and accessible. Nurse to patient ratio is good. Job security is unstable whether a member of union or not. All decisions based on seniority and not job performance or skill set.
Pros
high pay, safe nurse to patient ratios, friendly co-workers
Cons
unstable employment, current lay-offs, little ability to move up due to union issues
Service Response Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 21, 2015
Great place to work, but I was just a part-time employee. My department is under a sub contract company that was just started on the month I was hired. I enjoyed working in that department, we were like a big family, have fun everyday, we help each other. There were never a dull moment or irritability working in my department and co-workers. I was looking and waiting for a full time position but couldn't find one that suited my experiences. I have to work full-time so I could afford to pay my bills. I know I will miss working with UMC, I like their policies and standard on treating their people.
An educational experience
Transplant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 9, 2014
Since starting, I have learned much about end stage renal disease and kidney transplantation. I have taken advantage of the opportunity to improve daily operations. It is a great place to work and I shall cherish my time there.
Pros
great people, great amount of patient care, well balanced
Cons
not enough support from upper management
Great place to work and practice laboratory medicine
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 2, 2014
This is a Level 1 trauma centre and you will get exposed to a lot of cases here. Great place to work and learn a lot about laboratory medicine. It is also fully equipped with automated instruments and remains up to date in technology.
benefits
Cons
load of work can be a lot most days
Politics-Too much, Maturity/respect-none, Career growth-doesn't exist.
RN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2014
I only spent a little over a year with the facility and tried to make it work the best I could for the sake of the paid retirement. However, once I vaguely mentioned wanting to seek out career advancement in the facility because I was planning on returning to school for a higher degree, suddenly the already very rude (unless you have been with hospital for at least 10 years) , suddenly turned vicious. Nobody would help me when I needed it and my Manager became cold and distant. I actually overheard staff (including Charge Nurse) saying derogatory and childish things about me. Some of the same people who were nice and pretending to be my friend were actually stabbing me in the back and they were all mocking the idea of going back to school to get a higher degree. (i.e. "why bother...if you kiss up to the Manager enough, she'll make sure you don't even need a degree at all for the position, hahahaha...why waste they time and money". I also had a friend that started about 6 months before me in a different department that applied for a manager position (which she was well qualified for), but it was re-classified as a training spot for a person who had almost no nursing experience at all (also lower degree) and my friend had 15 years (plus higher degree). Also extremely racist staff. The large majority of nursing staff throughout the facility are Filipino, and the remaining portion, about 5% are the rest of the population. They never follow "hospital policy" and speak English. A lot of the staff spend a lot of time goofing off and behaving like kids ("long timers"), ignoring call  more... lights. While the newbies carry the work load. If you bring it to the attention of the "long timer" Charge nurse she just becomes nasty and says something to her friends in Filipino, then punishes you with more admissions the everyone else. The same behavior goes for the Manager.I would say if you are a new grad and haven't yet experienced the life of a normal hospital that actually supports education (including with their requirements for management jobs-most now days require a completed Masters degree (not just starting the program) not an ASN or BSN) and haven't gotten to yet enjoy the life of being respected (or ethical leadership), OR go to UMC and you can be trained into their "gang" mentality. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it because that "paid retirement" you will get someday will all go to either psychologist from going nuts or attorney fee's for going to jail for smacking some rude/lazy/under educated/trained Charge nurse. It has a lot of potential since it is a teaching hospital, it is just going to waste because of very poor leadership in place. They DEFINITELY have leaders, the problem is they are leading the staff in the wrong direction and all stuck in their bad ways. FYI-three other (experienced) nurses I know have since tried it out regardless of my warning, experienced the same thing, and left just like me.  less
Pros
potential for being great because of being teaching hospital/paid retirement
Cons
mostly rude/immature/unstrustworthy leadership and staff, very toxic work environment/no potential for career growth.
good place for the patient
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  1800 west charleston blvd las vegas nv 89102May 18, 2015
excellent healthcare providers.enhancing good customer service
too busy that makes us so tired and sometimes we cant come to work as schedule and that we can loose our job instantly if we cant keep up with our schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8