University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Employee Reviews

Great Benefits for long term, dedicated team players
Witheld (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2017
UMC is uniquely positioned to provide premium health care services including Level 1 Trauma and Burn for the region. It is undergoing great changes and opportunities are available to participate in the change.

Challenges exist as a County organization, with management having to work with overhead and having to compete against private sector hospitals whom are nimble and endowed with newer facilities. When the challenges are overcome, UMC will become a greater power in the region in providing first class health care with an exceptional EMR solution.
Not a bad place to work
Plant Operations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2017
Great benefits. not a lot of pressure. It was hard to get parts. I didn't like working in a hospital, always around sick people. Had to travel to quick care locations for work a lot.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sick people, no payed lunch
Excellent
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2017
Typical day at work consist of monitoring patients placed under a hold from the state to make sure they are safe. I learned to show compassion to patients and people. I enjoyed the friendly and team work in the enviroment
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
N/a
Level 1 Trauma Center in Las Vegas
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 17, 2017
Learned many basic nursing skills and exposed to many difficult cases, such as gun shot wounds, head injuries, and drownings. Hardest part was taking care of a pediatric pt with a poor prognosis.
Pros
Learned basic nursing skills
Cons
taking care of a pediatric pt with a poor prognosis.
Stressful Job
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 8, 2017
This was a job I was passionate about because I did feel like I was able to make a difference in my patient's lives. However, the work environment and atmosphere was very chaotic, and unstable.
Worker Beware!!!
Traveler (Former Employee) –  SurgerySeptember 8, 2016
Horrible, horrible place to work. The staff in the O.R. is actually friendly and extremely helpful in certain situations. The charge and management do not believe in breaks and usually you have to call the desk to get a lunch. The hospital is so old the fire alarms go off almost daily while the front desk kicks and screams about patients being brought to room even with fire alarm alerted! I was a traveler here for 11 weeks and could not finish the remaining 2 due to poor management decisions, failure to get breaks or being relieved in a timely manner.
Pros
Cons
Enjoy the staff infection...
ok place to work
Unit Clerk (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 4, 2016
Productive and fun workplace when i do get the hours. Other than that it is not fun. The are putting the money in the wrong areas at times.
Pros
ok staff
Cons
no hours
Nice facility
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 3, 2016
Administration keeps costs lower by having most of the employees as part time or per diem employees. The staff are very hard working and dedicated to the care of the patients.
Don't come!
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 23, 2016
As a previous management analyst, I don't think it is a good place to work at. Too many office politics. Please, don't come.
Benefits
I love it here
Unit Clerk (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2016
Worked here 1 year and always found a place and home here. Found management to be very supportive of staff. Able to move to different areas with supportive leadership.
Pros
Total learning experience.
Cons
not enough hours.
internship
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVFebruary 9, 2016
It was an internship opportunity with the administrative staff at UMC. I was able to learn quite a lot during my time there.
Very fulling Job
Patient Account Services, Data Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2016
Because I ran my own Post Office as the Postmaster it was challenging and rewarding. One of the best jobs that I have ever had
New job
Unit Clerk (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2015
I just started here at the end of October. I can't really give an honest review as of yet. So far it's been great!
Management is OK.
Co-workers are OK
Pros
great food
Cons
parking for employees
food service
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 23, 2015
very racial setting in the kitchen. black people were downgraded. they only love to be around white people. management was an outside division called Morrison/ Compass group. caught a lot of the managers calling black people lazy ni%$ers
Pros
lunch allowance, pay
Cons
ignorance and predjudice, slave drivers racist white managers.
Always supportive and provided learning experiences. Worked with me to develop my talents
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 6, 2015
Worked here 17 years and always found a place and home here. Found management to be very supportive of staff. Able to move to different areas with supportive leadership
Pros
Total learning experience, loved making a difference daily
Cons
My disablity ultimately made it impossible to do long shifts
good place for the patient
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  1800 west charleston blvd las vegas nv 89102May 18, 2015
excellent healthcare providers.enhancing good customer service
too busy that makes us so tired and sometimes we cant come to work as schedule and that we can loose our job instantly if we cant keep up with our schedule
Service Response Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 21, 2015
Great place to work, but I was just a part-time employee. My department is under a sub contract company that was just started on the month I was hired. I enjoyed working in that department, we were like a big family, have fun everyday, we help each other. There were never a dull moment or irritability working in my department and co-workers. I was looking and waiting for a full time position but couldn't find one that suited my experiences. I have to work full-time so I could afford to pay my bills. I know I will miss working with UMC, I like their policies and standard on treating their people.
Politics-Too much, Maturity/respect-none, Career growth-doesn't exist.
RN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2014
I only spent a little over a year with the facility and tried to make it work the best I could for the sake of the paid retirement. However, once I vaguely mentioned wanting to seek out career advancement in the facility because I was planning on returning to school for a higher degree, suddenly the already very rude (unless you have been with hospital for at least 10 years) , suddenly turned vicious. Nobody would help me when I needed it and my Manager became cold and distant. I actually overheard staff (including Charge Nurse) saying derogatory and childish things about me. Some of the same people who were nice and pretending to be my friend were actually stabbing me in the back and they were all mocking the idea of going back to school to get a higher degree. (i.e. "why bother...if you kiss up to the Manager enough, she'll make sure you don't even need a degree at all for the position, hahahaha...why waste they time and money". I also had a friend that started about 6 months before me in a different department that applied for a manager position (which she was well qualified for), but it was re-classified as a training spot for a person who had almost no nursing experience at all (also lower degree) and my friend had 15 years (plus higher degree). Also extremely racist staff. The large majority of nursing staff throughout the facility are Filipino, and the remaining portion, about 5% are the rest of the population. They never follow "hospital policy" and speak English. A lot of the staff spend a lot of time goofing off and behaving like kids ("long timers"), ignoring call  more... lights. While the newbies carry the work load. If you bring it to the attention of the "long timer" Charge nurse she just becomes nasty and says something to her friends in Filipino, then punishes you with more admissions the everyone else. The same behavior goes for the Manager.I would say if you are a new grad and haven't yet experienced the life of a normal hospital that actually supports education (including with their requirements for management jobs-most now days require a completed Masters degree (not just starting the program) not an ASN or BSN) and haven't gotten to yet enjoy the life of being respected (or ethical leadership), OR go to UMC and you can be trained into their "gang" mentality. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it because that "paid retirement" you will get someday will all go to either psychologist from going nuts or attorney fee's for going to jail for smacking some rude/lazy/under educated/trained Charge nurse. It has a lot of potential since it is a teaching hospital, it is just going to waste because of very poor leadership in place. They DEFINITELY have leaders, the problem is they are leading the staff in the wrong direction and all stuck in their bad ways. FYI-three other (experienced) nurses I know have since tried it out regardless of my warning, experienced the same thing, and left just like me.  less
Pros
Potential for being great because of being teaching hospital/paid retirement
Cons
mostly rude/immature/unstrustworthy leadership and staff, very toxic work environment/no potential for career growth.
Human Resources Internship
Health Care Administration, Internship (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 19, 2014
I really enjoyed the short time spent interning for the HR department. Everyone was very helpful and more than willing to explain their particular job to aid in my learning experience. Even though I was not an employee I could envision myself working at this facility and being very happy to do so!
An educational experience
Transplant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 9, 2014
Since starting, I have learned much about end stage renal disease and kidney transplantation. I have taken advantage of the opportunity to improve daily operations. It is a great place to work and I shall cherish my time there.
Pros
Great people, great amount of patient care, well balanced
Cons
Not enough support from upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Medical Center of Southern Nevada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9