University Settlement Employee Reviews

favoritism and rampant inappropriate behavior of repercussions
Assistant Director of Middle Schools (Former Employee) –  New York NYNovember 18, 2017
I enjoy working here for quite some years until 2015 when the CEO retired and managerial shifts began internally. It was a stressed filled game of scapegoating and getting in numbers, the social work aspect of the job was depleted and burn out began with no support.
Pros
families and communities
Cons
managers with no social services experience
fun place to work and wonderful staff and management.
Blended Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
Typical day 10-6 PM field visits and office work. I learned to be more compassionate working with the families and team work at the office. Treatment plans and Assessments intakes and opening and closing cases were part of my days work. Management were supportive of us not being in the office often due to making quota of visits per month.. Culture was diverse. Best part of my job was seeing client's graduating from the program meeting their goals. Hardest part was closing certain cases.
Pros
free movie trips
Cons
no pension
Good workplace for first time workers
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2017
This is a great job for students coming straight from high school. It teaches you how to be independent and responsible. A typical work day was 4 hours. The workplace provided a safe and loving environment for the children that attended the after school. I've learned how to connect with children of different age ranges, ethnic backgrounds, and learning styles.The hardest part about the job was the pay. Other than that, it was very rewarding to have a connection and be an inspiration to the kids.
Pros
Flexible hours, learning experience
Cons
pay
Fun Work Place
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
Staff was great to work with each other. Just needs to be more organized. Communication throughout all site needs to be the same. Giving the line staff more opportunity.
productive work place and fun to be around my coworkers
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2017
Most days I came in at 8:45 am started my day at 9:00 am and was well treated like family. I learned more about the billing and coding aspect of the job. I did filling and verfiying the clients charts and making sure that everything was in order and correct. The management team was very nice to me and gave me lots of compliments on my job performance and for finding things wrong and out of place. The hardest part for me was leaving and not being able to get hired because i was an intern worker. I enjoyed going to work each day.
Pros
not competitive with each other
Cons
dont hire the intern
part-time
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lower East Side, NYAugust 28, 2017
Part-time job, fee-for-service. Very pleasant and satisfying working environment. Excellent supervisors and co-workers. Everyone is supportive and working towards a mutual goal.
Great for the kids
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
Very professional and straight forward. Kids are treated great. I wish they had a location in Queens. The only reason I left was that it was too far for me to travel.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2017
It was a very nice job , a typical day at work would include cleaning the building from top to bottom to make sure everything is great and we would be busy all day
fun place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2017
Not a bad place to begin to be creative about behavior modification and addressing mental health issues.

You will be completing more paperwork than actual service to clients.
fun!
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10002July 7, 2017
everyday base here I am supervising children. creating activities and events for them. making sure that this is a child safe place for the participants
Pros
free lunches for students
Innovating working environment
Educational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn new yorkJune 19, 2017
Exciting and fun work place, the students keeps the staff engaged and willing to explore new adventures. A typical day at work is always eventful working with middle school students there is always something to look forward too. The most challenging task of the job is when I am not able to reach my students where there at, whether their in conflict or having a difficult time managing their emotions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the expressions on the students faces when they are happen and engage in the lesson before them.
Pros
Great staff to work with
Cons
part time position
n/a
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
Very welcoming place where clients retrieve counseling. Most enjoyable part is when I client leaves their session feeling better. I have l learned how to manage various accounts.
work life
Adult wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 23, 2017
The job was very laid back. The clients did not respect a lot of what was done for them even though it was a free program. The staff was seemed to be stressed. The pay was not enough to live on.
Productive and meaningful environment and culture
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2017
I learn a lot about how to work with kids and also have the opportunity to develop a meaningful relationship with them to assist their development. Hold an important role in someone elses life.
Pros
New Experience
Cons
Not much Security
Fun & learning environment
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 17, 2017
Working with this company was a good experience. Everyday was a new activity to do with the children. Everyone was well mannered & treated each other with respect.
Very fun and inspirational
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 30, 2017
A typical day at work includes helping children with their homework and preparing activities for the children to participate in to keep their interest level up. I've learned how to make an effective lesson plan and how to keep the kindergarten children that I worked with engaged. The management at University Settlement is very professional and provides you with guidance in the areas that you fall short in. The hardest part of this job is saying goodbye to the children at the end of the night because they are so young and grow an attachment to you and never want to go home because they had so much fun in after school. The most enjoyable part of this job is carrying out the lesson plans that you've prepared for the kids and watching them have fun while doing it.
okay work place
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2017
after school program working with kids. it was okay but wasn't the best. my co workers were great to work with but supervisor wasn't to great.
had no structure and everything wasn't fully planned.
Pros
no lunch breaks
Cons
couldn't really eat much
Productive and fun work enviroment
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 7, 2016
- The children are the life of the program
- Work is pretty straight forward ( if you can complete lesson plans)
- Situational ( working with kids anything can happen)
Organization working to improve
Mound STEM School Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 22, 2016
My time was limited and the only structure provided is what I created. The organization has taken on a responsibility that it doesnt have the bandwith to support
Pros
regular pot lucks
Cons
Expensive health care
Opportunity
Youth worker (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYSeptember 19, 2016
The university gives you a chance to learn, make friends, contacts and get a job by the end of the program. It's a good opportunity to advance your career.