University of Advancing Technology

University of Advancing Technology United States Employee Reviews

Amazing university, great students, weak management
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great students, great technology, awesome co-workers
I loved my near-decade teaching, developing and producing at UAT; it was a great facility with excellent equipment, super support staff and some incredible students who really stood out from the typical college-student crowd. The workload was brutal; we were expected to develop, deliver, grade and convert all our courses to online versions and were strongly discouraged from using textbooks. The focus was on "primary sources" and what I was teaching was typically so bleeding-edge that we had to create almost all the course materials by ourselves. We based the coursework on direct feedback from the game industry and technology leaders. The small size of the school and our relative autonomy from committees and oversight-minded boards allowed us to implement a new engine (for example, UDK) almost the same semester it came out, something that would have been impossible at almost any other school.

That being said, almost nothing of the value we created for the Universty ever came back to the instructors. Our salaries were frozen for years at a time, our contact hours and course loads kept going up, and our job descriptions were in constant flux. Such is life teaching for a private school.
Great Flexibility
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Tempe, AZOctober 20, 2013
Pros: flexibilty of time
Cons: limited hours with just a single course at a time.
As an online adjunct professor, I am able to log on whenever time allows to complete grading, interact with students, and solve technical issues.
I have learned how to adapt to different learning styles by learning how to communicate and teach in different ways to accommodate each student's needs.
The most difficult part of working at home is the lack of face time with my students. Casual conversation is almost zero.
I really do enjoy passing on the knowledge that I have gained in my time at the university as a student, and also in the "real world" since I graduated.
From an Intern
Digital Media & Video Intern (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMay 16, 2013
My opinion on benefits is very limited as my internship was not paid. The culture of the University is a double-edged sword. You get people who enjoy having fun while also are influenced by the student's negative side (laziness) of the stereotypical nerd. All the people are friendly.
Best job but very short contract
Student Ambassador and Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: part-time and only a year long
I absolutely loved working at UAT as a student ambassador. I constantly think of finding a job that was as fun and family like as UAT. It was a student job so it lasted only a year and didn't pay a lot, but that didn't matter to me at the time. It was very fun and met some life long friends there.
Awesome job lots of fun!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 14, 2012
Pros: casual workplace, lots of awesome people
Cons: random office work
I loved working here with other students, it was steady work and lots of fun giving tours to perspective students.
Productive and fun place to work
Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJuly 6, 2012
Pros: paid for room and board
Cons: no salary. wages are paid in room and board.
I worked here while I was attending my college classes. They worked around my class schedule so that I could get the hours I needed to stay afloat. The culture was fantastic, and the staff was more hilarious than you could imagine. A very laid back place!
Fun and knowledgeable
Intern (Former Employee), tempe azFebruary 28, 2012
Was a fun place to work at and learned alot about take videos and editing them along with editing and taking pictures for the school