University of Akron Employee Reviews in United States

University of Akron
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Frenshens, Student UnionFebruary 29, 2016
I worked in the Freshens store in the Student Union. We would make smoothies, crapes, salads, and wraps for students and guests. We would also restock inventory as well as keep the store clean.
Management was helpful on making your hours work with classes and homework so you could still succeed in school. The hardest part of the job was balancing it with school. While the most enjoyable part was all other employees were students and understood if you needed help.
University of Akron Sports Medicine Department
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 24, 2016
Independently provided athletic training services for the Volleyball and Women's Tennis teams at the University of Akron.During that time I have also extensively helped with the Men's Basketball team during the Sports Medicine Director's absence. My role as a Graduate Assistant has allowed me to enhance my clinical and management skills in a multitude of areas. Specifically, I am responsible for preseason physicals, injury evaluations, developing and administering rehab protocols, scheduling doctor appointments, travel duties, and interacting daily with coaches and the sports medicine staff. In addition, I directly mentor undergraduate athletic training students as an Approved Clinical Instructor.
Great experience.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 1, 2016
I started college majoring in international business, but the first accounting class I took sparkle interest in me so much that I decided to switch to accounting. The experience I have got so far is great. I make friends through the accounting association and get to learn so much about the accounting world.
A good place to work with professional, patient staff.
Clerical Aide: College Work Study (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 13, 2016
This was a college work study position which helped me develop my clerical skills. I was also able to learn about public relations and how to answer student and parent questions in a kind but professional manner.
Productive and Learning
Reasearch Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day starts with a discussion with professor regarding the status and concerns in the project. Spend most of the working hours in the lab with diverse people of different countries. Fun time is when we go out with colleagues to try different types of cuisines.
The job put me in touch with myself and the idea of spiritual truth.
Modeling (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 6, 2015
Being a new acquaintance, my supervisor was of special interest to me. He proved to be easy to work with.

He was a good teacher and was a pleasant person.

I learned quite a bit about art by listening to the instructor during the sessions. I met only a few of the other models. Some of them had interesting techniques.

The most difficult part of the job was commuting. The most enjoyable part was the artists and viewing their work.
Pros
The prestige of contact with the sessions and the artists.
Cons
The salary was minimal.
Senior Design Project
senior designer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 16, 2015
Consulting project to invent an affordable insole prototype for detecting sites of excessive shear stress and wear in order to help detect the early signs of diabetic foot ulcer formation
Planned prototype around functional requirements and expected patient needs
Applied engineering fundamentals to predict flaws in prototype model
Nice place to work while assisting clients
Student Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 4, 2015
Working for the University of Akron was very rewarding, while there I was able to receive my Associate degree, and was working on my Baccalaureate degree. Also assisting student to succeed in their career was rewarding.
Pros
tuition waiver
Cons
salary
Fun community, no pay
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 17, 2016
Unpaid graphic design internship. Coaching staff and coaching aids were fun to hang out with. Chill environment. I would give it a perfect score 5/7.
Pros
Free football apparel gear and sideline pass
Cons
No pay
Up and coming
Head Women's Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 26, 2016
Enjoyed the forward thinking and the ability to make decisions without having a supervisor look over your shoulder. Felt I could grow professionally as well as grow my program.
Very busy work environment
HVAC Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 3, 2016
I worked with a great group of men. It utilized my training in HVAC.
The most enjoyable part of the job was you were always doing something different.
That was a good stage of my life to get promoted.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 3, 2016
My adviser played an important role in my life. Also the graduate coordinator was the reason I got good admission. Akron was the breakthrough of my life.
Great School, offering the best programs
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 22, 2016
I learned a lot from my professors, whom I worked with. Working Hours are flexible. Our finance department is very helpful to students.
Great job for student
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 30, 2015
Working at the University of Akron was probably my most rewarding job but definitely not a career. The supervisors can be frustrating because they like to act like they know what is best but often refuse to listen to what you have to say.
review summary
Teaching Assistant, Department of Physics (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 27, 2016
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
University of Akron
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 13, 2015
The University of Akron is a great place for an engineering degree. This have many professors that are in the field of study or that were in the field of study. They helped prepare me to get the education I needed to be a successful mechanical engineer.
competitive team
Visiting Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 30, 2015
I worked at University of Akron for almost 4 years with a competitive group of people who are goal oriented. Enjoyed learning new techniques and grow as a group member and dealing the project. Though at times the work pressure is hectic enjoyed every working in that pressure.
Pros
Playing Wally ball on work days to to become more competivtive
Cons
Low salary, no work/life balance
Educational opportunities and benefits are excellent.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 11, 2015
I was able to further my career and enhance my work experience greatly. A lot of nice people to work with. Overall a good place to work. I was sorry to leave when our department was downsized.
good place to work at night
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 26, 2015
working at night is okay- students also work days as I do so at times it is difficult to get them to talk but work is productive and hopefully touches some of them.
Pros
working with students
Cons
poor pay
Review
Office of Accessibilities Clerk (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 9, 2015
Productive and fun work place. Great job to have if you are in summer school. Not a great chance at becoming full time staff employee.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Seasonal

4.4