University of Akron Employee Reviews

student assistant , administartive type work. An effective and laid back environment to work in
Registrar/ Student accounts - student assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 11, 2017
Throughout my work history in this office on campus, the number one focus and goal of this dept. is to service students & others who walk in the door.
Positive and supportive environment
Assistant Lecturer & Field Liaison- Social Work (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 11, 2017
I am part time faculty, therefor it is difficult to determine hours for future semesters. Full time staff gets chosen first. This makes planning finances around this position hard to do.
Nice environment, but no security, raises, benefits for adjunct teachers
Assistant Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoyed working there. Co-workers and students were great.
However, no benefits or equal pay for equal work. Adjuncts make up most of the teaching staff. No job security.
Great place to work with great staff
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2017
I like all of the people that I worked under. It was a rewarding experience and I think that it prepared me to enter the working world. I would highly recommend!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Subjects are well taught. Projects are challenging. Professors are encouraging. Funding is good. Security is good.
Research is upto date
From a University to a High School
Division Secretary (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 31, 2016
The staff is in a constant paranoia of Layoffs. Upper Administration are overpaid while staff members are going on 3 years without a raise. Think twice about working here.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Terrible
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 19, 2016
Take your worst expectations and exceed them. This is what happens when you offer no incentive for work well done and do nothing to punish things like employees watching lewd videos during breaks.
Good
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 12, 2016
I like it a lot!! More than 40 faculty worked in the field related to polymer. You have many choices to work with. Professors are very nice to students.
Relax Environment
Graduate Researcher/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 21, 2016
Enjoyed working with freshman students. Also enjoyed teaching intro
labs and grading paper. Worked with great professors.
Rewarding, hard work but fun.
Departmental Secretary (Former Employee) –  Akron, OH 44325November 11, 2016
It was a very productive job. I enjoyed multi-task. A typical day was working with the counselors, student assistants, answering phones, setting up appointments, assisting students, solving problems and working on assignments. The hardest part of the job was keeping students calm when the systems went down and they're weren't enough staff to advise them. The most enjoyable part of the job was, we were able to communicated well with each other and free to laugh off stress.
Pros
Problems were solved at the end of the day
Cons
Sometimes we just had students that had bad days, bad attitudes, bad mouths and just didn't care, but you know what, we handled that too!!!
Good to work
Grauduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 24, 2016
Smart Sign Ordering System (SSOS) is an ERP application which helps order different Sign boards and helps keep track of the entire process from the time it has been ordered to the time the order is processed and shipped out. SSOS, a government funded project by Department of Transportation, Ohio.

 Migration of database from Sybase to MySQL.
 Performing unit testing and debugging the code and fix the errors cases.
 Involved in remediation of defects from the application.
Good work
Graduate Assistant English Composition Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 18, 2016
I loved teaching students and discussing work with Director of Composition. This is a really good job to have. If I had more hours and better pay I would have stayed.
Pros
Intellectual work
Cons
part-time and low pay
Work at Akron U
Master Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 14, 2016
Management sucks. Co-workers are okay, the hardest part of the job was putting up with the management. Most enjoyable was making sure the environment was safe and clean for the students. I learned how to strip and wax floors.
Pros
Cons
healthcare, management
nice place to get education.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  computer science departmentOctober 10, 2016
course curriculum is very good. nice place to get employed. the management is good. the compensation is also very good at the part-time jobs. The opportunities are also very high.
Challenging and interesting to work there
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 26, 2016
i was warmly welcomed by the Professors of the department and they are really open to assist in any situation. They have excellent human relationship and felt at home for the very first day. I have learnt a lot in terms of human relation, to speak in public, new ways of solving problem and still learning. It challenging in terms of combing work and studies and am now abreast with that. My co-workers are really friendly and what i enjoy most is imparting knowledge trying to help students in their studies.
Fun workplace
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 25, 2016
The people you will work with here are amazing. Many of them are also students so its possible to connect with coworkers. Everyone is very friendly!
A good place to become profesional
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 18, 2016
UAkron is a good place to make you become professional in your area, where you can
> learn solid and wide knowledge from the knowledgeable professors
> gain useful research skills and techniques from supervisors and co-workers
> collaborate actively with the expert in your area
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  the University of AkronAugust 12, 2016
While being a student working a job is one of those stress induced things that many employers have a hard time scheduling around. when working for the school you do not have that kind of problem. They are always able to find a job for any student that is looking for one, and can make sure that you are scheduled or the hours you need.

As an employer I would say that with students they truly are very flexible and understanding when it comes to handling the job, and the school work load.
Nice place to work and play.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 27, 2016
The university of akron has a good balance between study life and sport. A typical day for a researcher can be finely spent with a good research combined with some games of ping-pong or rock-climbing sessions. The combination really freshens you up.
The co-workers are friendly and the ellabrorative disscussions over a coffee is something you always look up to. I have learned manmanaging my time a lot from my advisor and U Akron and its the biggest positive tool I beleive I have in my arsenal.
Challenging, unstable administration, great co-workers, ERP systems need overhauls, financial systems need deep reviews, ethical, legal and moral pray
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 8, 2016
The University of Akron needs to seek to change there ways of business if they are going to survive in this century of ever changing educational regulations. They need to change focus of the industry and learn to operate more like a business than in institution. They need to scale down the Administration and work on contracts that are equal and fair for all employees no matter what position they may hold. Providing higher level employees with extended contracts beyond their terminations do not provide for great moral in the lower ranks of employees. If an employee does their job and is dismissed, they are not given a years worth of severance, they are lucky to receive two weeks. Depending up what status one may hold the employment contracts are not fair across the board.
It seems that UA rewards those who do not do their jobs or meet the criteria outlined in their job descriptions and punishes those that work hard everyday in the trenches. If it were not for these people the doors would close tomorrow and UA would be no more.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management and administration

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Akron. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3