University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working in this facility
X-Ray Technologist & Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Moody, ALJanuary 26, 2016
Friendly coworkers. Enjoyed working with the patients. It was a busy clinic which I enjoyed. Overall a great place to work
Great place to gain knowledge with lots of experienced employees around
Data Analyst at UAB (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 21, 2016
As a student assistant a typical day at work would be carrying out analysis for genomic data, writing bash scripts to analyze the data.
Used Linux environment for most of my job related activities which gave me rich experience using High performance computing systems. I also did download, maintenance and documentation of software for the tool required for analysis.
Stimulating and rewarding environment with ample opportunity for creative license and productivity
Managing Editor and Anthropology Department Liason (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2016
In addition to performing as a teacher's assistant (grading class discussions and inputting statistical analysis for the professor's independent academic research), I was in charge of re-designing the entire layout of the departmental webpages and providing original content such such as event reviews and interviews. I worked directly with the department chair and other anthropology department personnel as well as with IT and online media departments. The infinite liberty of the position was daunting at first, but it ultimately became a platform to represent the school and department in a rewardingly innovative capacity.
I was a very productive worker and work well with others.
Office Services Specialist II-Retired (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2015
I worked there for 21 years. I worked with a very professional staff of doctors and technicians. I handled patient scheduling and performed all secretarial duties. I worked in a hospital setting. I truly loved my job.
It was ok very fast pace.
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 17, 2015
Soon as you hit the warehouse its constant working and throwing boxes. You will get a workout in there for sure. the benefits are ok. I just wouldn't work there if you have a bad back.
Working at Uab
Office Support Specialist II/PCT (Current Employee) –  TKCDecember 16, 2015
Uab is a great company to work for, Working for Uab helps me to grow in different areas, I've trained has a PCT because in the future I plan on attending nursing school
Very nice supervisor and very flexible schedule
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 25, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of logging in specimens and storing them in the appropriate areas, performing DNA extractions and quantifications, and mononuclear preps. I was blessed to be supervised and work with some nice people. Although there were days when you had to deal with some people that were not so nice (as is on any job) it was all worthwhile to see the smiling kind faces of some. It is proof that that there are still some good people out there
Wonderful school & employer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 4, 2015
Great management in the labs that I did work study in. Many opportunities of growth with good learning experience of how the research field works.
working at KFC in Bessemer taught me a lot about the Fast food industry
Hostess (Former Employee) –  ALOctober 26, 2015
i Learned how to cook a lot of stuff working in this fast food environment . the hardest part of the job was at the end of the night i had to empty out the grease chambers at the back of the store .
Pleasant work environment with opportunities to advance.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2015
My work days began at 4am until 12:30pm daily. Although getting up at 2:30 am to get to work on time is challenging the opportunity to do so has been rewarding in that this schedule has motivated me to be more time management oriented. I have worked with people who are very professional and knowledgeable about the business of facilities cleaning and management.
Pros
the work hours
Cons
healthcare
The chairman of the department provided me with tasks to improve my knowledge and skills
Research Analyst/Chairman Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2015
The department was a great opportunity after graduating from college to figure out my path in life. To improve my skills and knowledge of the real world.
I live to do research.
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 10, 2015
I worked my entire life to do this and continue doing it. I love science and few other things. I would work there for free if they just supplied me with food and shelter. My viewpoint is extremely biased.
Pros
FREAKING LASER PHYSICS
Cons
They did not liberate me from mortal needs and I had to go home to sleep.
if your not a on time persson, this job is not for you.
Environmental Services Specialist-Campus (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 6, 2015
I loved and miss my co- workers, but the shift was 4am. Great benefits.. work was easy, except stripping the floors.. UAB is all business, not people friendly.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
time of shift, no grace period
Men's Basketball Team, Student-Athlete (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 6, 2015
Very productive learning and basis of training from any type of work that is giving. Lots of hands on training and interaction with community.
Great experience; started at 24 yrs old; 4 promos & 12.5yr tenure
UAB Health System Financial Manager/CPA (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 1, 2015
Great co workers and life long friends; diverse and knowledge learned invaluable regarding state of Alabama budgets and expenditure guidelines.
Pros
administrative departments work close; work hard & you get noticed
Cons
Not For Proftit and State budgeted funding; politics
Complex Research Project for Transportation Safety
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Executive AssistantSeptember 26, 2015
This was a complex research project concerning all system campuses. I manage the project and help me roles, including clerical duties, producing professional correspondence, purchasing, budget, accounting, and event planning.
Pros
Bueautial environment to work with and working with students
Cons
Stress in manageing offsite events, when I had to remain at the main office
Exciting, friendly and challenging environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2015
Review my multiple mouse and rat colonies. Report new litters and solve animal related issues.

Perform tail snips for genotyping, wean pups, make scheduled crosses and perform procedures scheduled for the day.

At benchtop DNA extractions/run PCR protocols needed and report results.

Update animal logs and scheduling

Perform additional tests, blood/urine collections, euthanasia, tissue preservation, ELISA testing.

Administrative duties, IACUC, Ordering supplies, others

When sufficient data is collected coordinating with PI writing for publications, graphs and charts, statistical analyses.
Pros
Flexible schedule, no micro-management, trust and as a result greater commitment on my part
Cons
Low wages
good place to get hands-on experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 23, 2015
Materials Engineering department allows students to work on industry projects to develop skills and gain experience.
It was a great experience. Great work environment.
UAB Baseball Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 23, 2015
Everyday was different. It was a fun work invironment. Great benefits when traveling. I would definitely tell a freind about this opportunity.
Pros
team gear, food during away games
Cons
No consistancy in work times, No defined schedule
Started Out Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 15, 2015
Pros
Great opportunities since this is a global company. Meet wonderful people. Great benefits. If you know what you want and where you want to go this is an awesome company.
Cons
Constant organizational change - must be in the right place at the right time - otherwise you may be caught in a downturn.
Advice to Management
Keep doing an awesome job!

4.2