University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews in United States

A Starter in the career world
Financial Affairs Associate I (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 13, 2016
A typical day at work is talking to student/parent either on phone, email and in person.; doing exit letter for students who are about to graduate, any clerical duties needed.
I learned so much in this position and it really prepared me for the position that I am in now.
Management was amazing and extremely helpful.
My coworkers were awesome
The hardest part of the job is catching up on scanning and checking documents; the busy season.
The most enjoyable part would be the atmosphere that we set that made it fun to come to work everyday.
Fired for having cancer
CLINICAL TRIALS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2015
I worked in the Cancer Center, was diagnosed with cancer, and got fired because I was, "taking too many doctor's appointments." 10% of your salary is taken out of each check for the mandatory state retirement plan (not the case for hospital employees - only University employees have to pay that). Currently, UAB is broke. I would never work there again. Thankfully, I'm in remission.
Pros
It paid the bills for a while. The cafeteria has some of the best desserts in Birmingham
Cons
parking, mandatory high retirement contribution, very uncaring management
Productive and laidback environment
Information Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work entails supporting our faculty, staff, and students in regards to all of their computer needs. Any problem that comes up, via trouble ticket system, email, or phone, we address it. I also handle daily projects that deals with security updates and software installations.
Pros
Family Friendly environment
Cons
Pay is below average with little room for advancement within the department
Great place to work with great benefits. BUT pay could be better
Information Systems Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 12, 2015
UAB is a great place to advance your career in Information Technology and Information Systems. They have a very broad selection of different hardware and software models and the projects are very intensive. Yet, for the job you preform you could go into the private sector and make about 30,000-40,000 more a year for the same job. You will be paid well but not as well if you weren't considered a state employee. Job stability,security, and flexibility is stellar. Benefits are VERY good as well. Low insurance rates, the ability to go to college all the way up to a Doctorate for free, and your spouse and child can go for 50% off. The only issue I have is the pay.
An ever going learning experience
Program Manager I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 4, 2016
As a research assistant and then a research associate, I have learned a lot of techniques during my 12 years of research. Because of grants running out I had to move to different labs. This didn't bother me as my knowledge of scientific techniques grew in each new lab. Please know that I was the manager of all the labs I worked in and also had the privilege to train lab technicians and students. At the end of 2012 I decided to stop research because I needed a change. I tried the industry but didn't enjoy the pace (60 hours of work a week was too much). So, I went back to UAB and started to work for the Office of the Conflict of Interest Review Board (OCIRB). This new position paid less but it gave me the opportunity to see what was happening on the other side of research. I learned about the university's compliance, the Federal regulations, I learned how reviews of financial conflict of interest related to research were done, etc... A valuable experience indeed.
Therefore, I will say that UAB was an ever going learning experience.
Pros
You never stop learning.
Cons
As a researcher, you move a lot between labs as grants run out.
Very well established medical facility which gave me the opportunity to gain great experience and much knowledge.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlaamaMay 23, 2016
Very well established medical facility which gave me the opportunity to gain experience and much knowledge. Fun and rewarding place to work. Knowing that making a difference for someone during an illness was completely satisfying. Working with amazing physicians and the wonderful care they give their patients.
Pros
Caring nurses and physicians. I loved the patients.
Great experience; started at 24 yrs old; 4 promos & 12.5yr tenure
UAB Health System Financial Manager/CPA (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 1, 2015
Great co workers and life long friends; diverse and knowledge learned invaluable regarding state of Alabama budgets and expenditure guidelines.
Pros
administrative departments work close; work hard & you get noticed
Cons
Not For Proftit and State budgeted funding; politics
Started Out Great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 15, 2015
Pros
Great opportunities since this is a global company. Meet wonderful people. Great benefits. If you know what you want and where you want to go this is an awesome company.
Cons
Constant organizational change - must be in the right place at the right time - otherwise you may be caught in a downturn.
Advice to Management
Keep doing an awesome job!
Exciting, friendly and challenging environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2015
Review my multiple mouse and rat colonies. Report new litters and solve animal related issues.

Perform tail snips for genotyping, wean pups, make scheduled crosses and perform procedures scheduled for the day.

At benchtop DNA extractions/run PCR protocols needed and report results.

Update animal logs and scheduling

Perform additional tests, blood/urine collections, euthanasia, tissue preservation, ELISA testing.

Administrative duties, IACUC, Ordering supplies, others

When sufficient data is collected coordinating with PI writing for publications, graphs and charts, statistical analyses.
Pros
Flexible schedule, no micro-management, trust and as a result greater commitment on my part
Cons
Low wages
Stimulating and rewarding environment with ample opportunity for creative license and productivity
Managing Editor and Anthropology Department Liason (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2016
In addition to performing as a teacher's assistant (grading class discussions and inputting statistical analysis for the professor's independent academic research), I was in charge of re-designing the entire layout of the departmental webpages and providing original content such such as event reviews and interviews. I worked directly with the department chair and other anthropology department personnel as well as with IT and online media departments. The infinite liberty of the position was daunting at first, but it ultimately became a platform to represent the school and department in a rewardingly innovative capacity.

Want to know more about University of Alabama, Birmingham?

Ask a question
Many ways to design and make experiment required device.
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 29, 2016
Support a PHD to do project.
Depends on experiments result, to change and redesign experiment's device then test new devices again and again. I like to analysis data and depends on the result to discuss with others, then redesign the new device until we getting a device sample, which can reach experiments requirement.
Pros
working hours flexible
An outstanding opportunity to work with facinating people for mutual benefit.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 13, 2016
Excellent opportunity to improve own skills and qualifications and contribute to the human condition. Opportunity to work with exceptional people for mutual benefit.
Pros
Meet and work with people well worth knowing. Contribute to advancement of everyone involved.
Cons
A lot of hard work.
Pleasant work environment with opportunities to advance.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2015
My work days began at 4am until 12:30pm daily. Although getting up at 2:30 am to get to work on time is challenging the opportunity to do so has been rewarding in that this schedule has motivated me to be more time management oriented. I have worked with people who are very professional and knowledgeable about the business of facilities cleaning and management.
Pros
the work hours
Cons
healthcare
Great experience
BSN, RN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 3, 2016
Very productive and educational work experience. Wonderful diversified patient population. Learning opportunities at every corner. Very much enjoyed assisting patients and family members come back from difficult places to functional daily lives. Great facility.
Pros
Close restaurants for lunches.
Cons
Parking
Productive and Fun work enviroment
Financial Officer II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 18, 2016
Everyone from management down to the secretaries are friendly and easy to work with. The management philosophy is family first which helps when emergencies arise.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of bureacracy in the administrative set up at UAB
It was ok very fast pace.
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 17, 2015
Soon as you hit the warehouse its constant working and throwing boxes. You will get a workout in there for sure. the benefits are ok. I just wouldn't work there if you have a bad back.
best place for research jobs
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 26, 2016
UAB is a very nice place to work. Having a university hospital in the campus makes it a very dynamic place especially for biomedical research. Coworkers and Staff are very friendly. Timing are flexible. I enjoyed working at UAB.
Great educational benefits
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2016
I have learned a lot during my years at UAB. They have excellent educational benefits for employees. They are big into research and development. Also, they have excellent health benefits.
Great Benfits
Duties as Nurse Practitioner UAB Family Clinic (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 2, 2015
Very large employer equals lots of red tape whenever there are new ideas or suggestions. Great Benefits. Flexible scheduling when appropriate. great retirement. Nurses have not had raises in over 4 years.
Pros
great benefits, generous vacation time
Cons
stagnant slary
Great place to gain knowledge with lots of experienced employees around
Data Analyst at UAB (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 21, 2016
As a student assistant a typical day at work would be carrying out analysis for genomic data, writing bash scripts to analyze the data.
Used Linux environment for most of my job related activities which gave me rich experience using High performance computing systems. I also did download, maintenance and documentation of software for the tool required for analysis.

4.2