University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Excellent Place for Research
Orthodontic Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Jefferson County, ALNovember 14, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at UAB orthodontic faculty, the management and day to day runnings of the clinic were exceptional. Furthermore i found all members of the department to be exceptionally friendly and enjoyed all my experiences. Highly recommended.
Good collaborative research environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 14, 2017
There were plenty of opportunities to learn. As a graduate student, make sure you pick a good mentor that wants to help you succeed. The school in general is a good school.
Pros
Travel and presentation opportunities, seminars, salary increases
Cons
hot summers, many of the professors have negative attitudes towards the future of academic research
Productive and Essential Skills Gained
Internship (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2017
A typical day was going to clinic to clinic collecting data to help with patient flow. I was able to learn many new skills while at my time here. Along with making new connections with my fellow employees.
Pros
Gained new skills and essential knowledge
Cons
Often worked outside job description
Good
Academic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2017
Enjoyed working for this company. Great manager, but parking is horrible. The crime around the University is a bit higher than I like, as well, but overall it has been a good experience. Typical 8-5 clerical job.
Very busy, but rewarding place to work
HRM Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2017
UAB is incredibly busy, lacking on staff, and does not pay terribly well; which can make it stressful. However, there are a LOT of pros. They work hard to make you feel valued, there are numerous employee perks around the city, you feel like you're truly contributing to the world, and job security is good.
Relaxed but productive
Office Service Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 1, 2017
Work was relaxed. As long as you completed your daily tasks you have nothing to worry about. Only recently began clocking in. Casual Fridays and boss brought snacks and treats to keep us happy.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Parking expensive
Everyone was high-spirited and outgoing
Building Custodian (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 31, 2017
A very positive place, as well as the staff. Everyday is like a fresh start at life. Each individual of the staff is always glad to be a part of the UAB team.!
Office Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 31, 2017
I have been here at UAB for about 5 years and I have gained great experience. UAB is a great place to get your foot in the door and to begin a career.
Pros
Benefits and location
Cons
The compensaion is unfair at timesBenefits
n/a
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 24, 2017
I enjoyed my time at UAB hospital. The unit I worked on had the best teamwork amongst the employees. I would recommend UAB hospital to any new nurse starting out.
Fantastic Internship Experience
Student Advocacy, Rights and Conduct Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time at UAB while completing practicum hours in student affairs. I learned so much, got hands-on experience, and got a sense of what working in student affairs on a day-to-day basis is like.

Want to know more about University of Alabama, Birmingham?

Ask a question
Research Assistant
Psychology Clerkship/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 18, 2017
I absolutely loved working at UAB in the Center for Psychiatric Medicine. I would have loved to have stayed there permanently, this was part of my education
Pros
Unlimited access to resourses
Cons
this was only part of my education
UAB is the Top Employer in Alabama
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 7, 2017
UAB is a nice place to work. The teams of people within most departments work very well and productively together. UAB works to get the most bang for the buck, preferring to start people at a lower salary that only creeps up. But what business doesn't.
Pros
Benefits, hours worked, most management
Cons
Disjoint communication in training.
UAB perfect place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2017
UAB can be overwhelming, but offers a multitude of services and careers options. Competitive pay. Works with many other offices in the surrounding Birmingham area.
Started Well, Finished Poorly
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2017
My passion waned as time went on, and so did the quality of life there. I felt as if my opinions weren't valued, and as if my work wasn't cared about.
Pretty Good
Student IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 4, 2017
Typical work day
I come in. Check emails. See any issues or problems i can solve immediately. Check if there any current projects that need to be completed. Do those things above and leave.
Pros
Good people
Cons
short breaks
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2017
Meeting people from different parts of the world was wonderful. Sometimes the language barrier made it a bit harder to speak with an individual but I was always amazed at how quickly the English language was picked up by the students.
Productive Work Environment
Health Physics Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 22, 2017
The work environment gives room for growth and development. There are a lot of opportunities to foster partnerships. It is overall a work friendly environment.
competitive pay,not stressful,excellent benefits if hired on full-time
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 19, 2017
competitive pay,not stressful,excellent benefits if hired on full-time, best company I ever worked for, long process to get hired on as a temporary employee but most recruiters are very helpful throughout that process
Fun and relaxed
Respiratory Therapy Program Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 16, 2017
Fun and relaxed place to work. Enjoyed interacting with future and current respiratory students. Great opportunity to work on teaching skills. Very relaxed environment to work.
Flexible Work Environment
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 12, 2017
I was permitted a flexible working environment where I could tailor my classes to best suit my teaching style. UAB provided a relaxed atmosphere for a suitable teaching environment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Adjunct's aren't paid that well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2