University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

enjoyed working with patients
Dialysis technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 27, 2017
began as dialysis technician and was a fun growing experience but when managed care came in it gradually grew worse and i felt unappreciated. hardest part was being on my feet all day. most enjoyable part was developing wonderful relationships with patients and offering them care and concern.
Lots of diverse group of people and educational background
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 9, 2017
Demanding and busy place to work, must pay attention to details, instructions, communication skill a must. Company demand reliable, dependable and be able to work well with others.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
very demanding
Leader in Healthcare
Team Lead Nurse Stat (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 4, 2017
Leader in Healthcare, amazing research facility. Several of the best MD world wide. Amazing teaching hospital, with good benefits and room to grow and advance in your career.
Good Review
Residence Life Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 29, 2016
Good working environment on and off campus. I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues on a consistent basis. You learn so much from students and fellow staff members.
Great company to work for
Housekeeping Department Worker (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 22, 2016
Work day starts with a meeting with all employees and our manager. We must log into pagers get our assignments and menus, Prepare our carts. Clean all rooms and assignments that is paged to us.
Pros
easy work
UAB can be a excellent place to work.
Senior Clinical Veterinarian (part time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 20, 2016
UAB provides great benefits and good pay. With ~30,000 employees, there are a vast array of jobs to choose from. Your experience could vary widely depending on your role and supervisor.
Pros
Full time employees can be vested in 10 years (retirement benefits).
Cons
Little emphasis on work/life balance.
I was lucky to have such a great job.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2016
Connections got me here mostly and it was a fantastic time! I just wish it was easier to get for people who deserve such an honor to work with the scientists at UAB.
Pros
Great Pay, Great time, Great Experiance
Cons
Long commute.
Great place for longevity
Radiology Attendant/Unit Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 10, 2016
Uab has a lot of perks to make you want to stay employed with them. They offer pto,sick,and personal holiday time. Their insurance is great they cover a lot for their employees they assist with fmla if your out of time and can't get paid they have programs to assist you and if you become ill they have short and long term disability to help you out.
The hardest part of the job
HIM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 3, 2016
Birmingham was an extra long commute of 3 hours each day on the interstate. The environment was very high paced but as a graduate of the University I enjoyed returning there to work.
Pros
The salary was great.
Cons
The commute was too long each day.
Great atmosphere, work at your own pace, very compromising, great benefits.
Building service specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 1, 2016
I enjoyed job, the people, my co workers, and managers. Nice positive atmosphere. I also learned how to use heavy machinery like the buffer. And the benefits were great.
No advancement opportunity
Developer / System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 30, 2016
Recently informed that opportunities that were to be provided prior to signing on with UAB are no longer available. Lack of technical experience by leadership is not building a culture of change that is required for effective ITSM implementations. Lack of trust inhibits growth and opportunity across the organization.
Pros
close to family
Cons
lack of leadership, trust and understanding of fundamental IT processes
Exciting and infectious atmosphere
Jr Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 14, 2016
Working for UAB was a not only a friendly environment, it's also family oriented. It is a place where you could enjoy a full days work and still have the energy to bring your family out to enjoy a Blazers game.
Pros
A great atmosphere with lots of activities
Cons
Very congested area
Nice environment to work and learn
Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2016
I worked as a part time student research assistant. It is a fun place to work and my colleagues and superiors are friendly and commendable. The hardest part of the job is recruiting patients for the study I have been coordinating.
Volunteer Assistant Softball Coach (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 27, 2016
I helped with travel, issuing clothing and clothing inventory, scouting reports, social media accounts, planning/running pitching workouts. I also helped with game day plans and running cameras for games.
Personnel Generalist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 25, 2016
It is a great place to work, but they need to pay more money. I really enjoy working for UAB, but I need to find a job where I am compensated for my abilities.
Case manager
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 2, 2016
It is a great place to work, but they need to pay more money. I really enjoy working for UAB, but I need to find a job where I am able to make more money.
Pros
benefits, flexable
Cons
money
Hostile work environment, creates a feeling of inferiority, an unstable atmosphere
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 30, 2016
Came here with high expectations but soon found out everything here is based on friendship. Promotion of unethical racist behavior.
Pros
Working with students, benefits, the ability to learn about other cultures
Cons
Hostility from co-workers, individualist ego stroking, friendship bonds in the office, universitsy policies not enforced
Pleasant work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 26, 2016
I worked as a tutor for two consecutive semesters at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The work schedule is pretty flexible and meet the need of employees. In addition, tutors work in a positive work environment.
enjoyed working
Temp Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 16, 2016
My work experience entailed setting up the conference room for weekly meetings as well as for their breakfast and lunch. answered phones, filed documents. The management and co workers were very pleasant and worked with me when I needed help in certain areas.
The hardest part with the filing was that a doctor could have multiple files that would take up a whole cabinet and some of the files weighed 15 pounds and when some of the documents had to be put in these files, having to go through 20 to 30 files to find the right one for the document to be placed. The most enjoyable was being able to greet the people that had to come in and direct them to what they needed.
Pros
a free lunch when the meetings were over, monthly birthdays
Cons
some of the files were very heavy
Nice place to work
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 27, 2016
UAB is a great place to work at, you will embark upon a new life journey and will enjoy your experience with this company. It is hard to get a job here, but if you are persistent the right job is right around the corner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2