University of Alabama, Birmingham

University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Pleasant work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 26, 2016
I worked as a tutor for two consecutive semesters at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The work schedule is pretty flexible and meet the need of employees. In addition, tutors work in a positive work environment.
Productive and Fun work enviroment
Financial Officer II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 18, 2016
Everyone from management down to the secretaries are friendly and easy to work with. The management philosophy is family first which helps when emergencies arise.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of bureacracy in the administrative set up at UAB
if your not a on time persson, this job is not for you.
Environmental Services Specialist-Campus (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 6, 2015
I loved and miss my co- workers, but the shift was 4am. Great benefits.. work was easy, except stripping the floors.. UAB is all business, not people friendly.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
time of shift, no grace period
Great workplace
Court Advocate/Case Manager - TASC (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 20, 2015
UAB is great place of employment. thy have great benefits: insurance, educational assistant program (50% for spouse and children), and very culturally diverse. The only thing with UAB is the pay scale. They have a pay scale that is non-negotiable regardless of your education or experience. Everyone will start off at the beginning of the offered scale range with no fluctuation.
Pros
flexibility, culturally diverse, benefits
Cons
pay
It was a great experience. Great work environment.
UAB Baseball Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 23, 2015
Everyday was different. It was a fun work invironment. Great benefits when traveling. I would definitely tell a freind about this opportunity.
Pros
team gear, food during away games
Cons
No consistancy in work times, No defined schedule
Great company to work for with good social and educational exposure.
Survey Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 21, 2013
I must perform all guide lines when ever a perform a survey. These survey are being conducted on behalf to the Alabama Dept of Public Health so a certain protocol is needed to when conducting a health survey. A great deal of compliance with procedure is need. I've learn to work with these guide lines and I do very well when I follow them. Management is always working with us and we are all scored when we do a survey. My co-workers know we are team and when we work together we do a great job. The hardest part of the job is being hung-up on and the most enjoyable is being complimented on doing a good survey
Pros
I can work the hours I need. Can come in late if I need to, just have to let them know.
Cons
There are no benefits, such as a 401k plan and no paid vacation
with time it became bad
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 18, 2016
I taught for 4 years so came across different managers and they all are different and the management deteriorated as time went on.
Pros
small class size
Cons
delay in payment
Productive job environment
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 17, 2016
It is a very friendly environment with numerous of opportunities for advancement. The employers care about the employees like family.
Pros
laid-back atmoshpere
Cons
N/A
Great Benfits
Duties as Nurse Practitioner UAB Family Clinic (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 2, 2015
Very large employer equals lots of red tape whenever there are new ideas or suggestions. Great Benefits. Flexible scheduling when appropriate. great retirement. Nurses have not had raises in over 4 years.
Pros
great benefits, generous vacation time
Cons
stagnant slary
Productive and laidback environment
Information Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work entails supporting our faculty, staff, and students in regards to all of their computer needs. Any problem that comes up, via trouble ticket system, email, or phone, we address it. I also handle daily projects that deals with security updates and software installations.
Pros
Family Friendly environment
Cons
Pay is below average with little room for advancement within the department
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 13, 2016
Many opportunities for advancement once you get in. The hardest part is getting in. Parking sucks though if you are not a doctor or have been here forever.
Many ways to design and make experiment required device.
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 29, 2016
Support a PHD to do project.
Depends on experiments result, to change and redesign experiment's device then test new devices again and again. I like to analysis data and depends on the result to discuss with others, then redesign the new device until we getting a device sample, which can reach experiments requirement.
Pros
working hours flexible
Very Hard To Move Up
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 1, 2012
I worked with this company for 3yrs and it's a great company for its benefits. On another note, the opportunity for advancement is very slim to none because the art of doing so will have be off of who you know. Management for me was dreadful!!!! I really didn't like the management team that was over my department. The management team sided with their superiors verses taking into consideration all of those who had opinions.
Pros
if you're looking for long term, this is the place you want to be.
Cons
hard to advance
Good school, great place to learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2016
The student center is great, always learning, the boss will keep you laughing. Constant interaction with student's and guest to the university.
Easy work place you work independently and at your own pace,
Environmental Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 15, 2015
I clock in at 3:55 a.M.Clean classrooms everyday.Offices monday and thursdays only.Clean restrooms,dust vacuum,pull trash.Get along with co workers well hardest part is pulling so much trash most enjoyable part is when I don't have office day.
Pros
WHEN THE STUDENTS HAVE ANY EVENTS WE ARE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE, 45 MINUTE LUNCH BREAK, GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
BEING TO WORK AT 4 A.M, TAKING TRASH OUT, OFFICE DAYS.
Great experience
BSN, RN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 3, 2016
Very productive and educational work experience. Wonderful diversified patient population. Learning opportunities at every corner. Very much enjoyed assisting patients and family members come back from difficult places to functional daily lives. Great facility.
Pros
Close restaurants for lunches.
Cons
Parking
A nice place to work.
Animal Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2014
A typical work day was hard work but fun and meaningful. I learned how to work with other people and to help them out. The management was ok. My coworkers were helpful as well as ready to finish the work day. The hardest part of the job was still working when a machine broke down. But it never stopped you from working. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other people and helping them with their problems.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Poor parking
Students are the best part of this job. Politics is the worst part.
Professor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 25, 2012
I generally work a 12 -16 hour day. Student interaction is the highlight of the day. Managing student projects was a challenge to learn to motivate different personalities without the motivation of a paycheck. The worst part of the day was the politics and gossiping among the administration and other faculty. It's like watching the politics on an episode of a reality show on TV.
Pros
benefits are wonderful
Cons
inability to take trips etc due to class schedules
great
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 25, 2016
This company is a great place to work they really care about their employees and their well being, they pay was great and had the opportunity to meet different people.
Stimulating and rewarding environment with ample opportunity for creative license and productivity
Managing Editor and Anthropology Department Liason (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2016
In addition to performing as a teacher's assistant (grading class discussions and inputting statistical analysis for the professor's independent academic research), I was in charge of re-designing the entire layout of the departmental webpages and providing original content such such as event reviews and interviews. I worked directly with the department chair and other anthropology department personnel as well as with IT and online media departments. The infinite liberty of the position was daunting at first, but it ultimately became a platform to represent the school and department in a rewardingly innovative capacity.

4.2