University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Excellent for Growth
OFFICE ASSOCIATE I (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 12, 2017
The Department that I worked was full of the most liveliest, friendliest, and fun people in the world. I must not forget: They were very helpful. The work was not overbearing.
Thorough Undergrad Academics
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 10, 2017
The Biology and Chemistry undergraduate programs provided in depth lectures and labs to train students to think like scientists. Many of my peers went on to receive a PhD or MD degree.
Great University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 4, 2017
I worked will pursuing a degree. Overall, UAB was a great learning environment and continues to improve and embrace innovation for the betterment of the community it serves.
awesome
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 2, 2017
awesome environment and benefits, great opportunities for advancement, great teams, great exposure, many growth opportunities, phenomenal experiences.
Productive and advanced workplace
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2017
The hardest part of my job was to watch individuals suffer and enduring pain. UAB is very divers and advanced. I loved working for UAB. I learned how to utilize all my resources, and just how important teamwork is.
A part of something important
Research Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 24, 2017
My current work is very self directed and satisfying. It is a great mix of individual work, problem solving, patient interaction, and education. I enjoy that every day is a little different and that I am contributing to a greater cause. Being involved in phase 2 drug studies is very interesting and exciting.
Pros
Self directed, challenging, day to day variability, patient interaction
Cons
Data entry can be difficult, hard to make things fit in to sponsor designed ecrf
Nice place to work
Software Developer II-Enterprise (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2017
Relaxed working environment. You will have nice and friendly co-workers. However, it's not a good place for career advancement. Good benefits and work life balance.
Na
Community Engagement Programs Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 17, 2017
NA, I choose not to provide a review of Posted agency at this time. Thank you,

This is a quality and progressive company to be a part of!

Happy weekend.
Great Post-Doc Experience
Post-Doctoral Trainee (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 17, 2017
The post-doc office at UAB was a great resource with super helpful people. There were lots of continuing education opportunities as well and activities available for post-docs to enhance their career skills. Overall I think the university has a very collaborative atmosphere.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
parking
Overall, great experience and valuable management and leadership tools gained from each job.
Director, Office of Student and Academic Services (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 13, 2017
Very high demanding job requiring the ability to multitask your own work responsibilities in addition to leading and managing a team of employees.I learned the importance of leadership with integrity. The hardest part of the job was NOT taking the JOB home. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and serving others.
Pros
excellent benefits;company offers great educational and office training opportunities.
Cons
don't encourage taking time off to refresh the body and brain
Summer Intern
Summer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2017
There isn't much to say here. It was a summer intern that took place during my undergraduate years. Introduced me to a couple of new technologies. Great experience.
Superb environment in which to work: quite supportive and definitely at the cutting edge of academics.
Instructor, Adjunct - Department of English (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 6, 2017
I have worked at UAB for five years as an adjunct instructor. In all my years of teaching at multiple schools, none can compare to UAB. The marks I gave lower than a five or due to my being an adjunct instructor; this level does not provide benefits, and the job market for instructors is quite competitive.

However, the administration, directors, faculty and students are superb. I love what I do, and UAB has only fostered my passion for teaching through support, academic freedom, and trust. UAB rocks.
Fast-paced
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 2, 2017
You have to be quick on your feet working at UAB. Typical day at work, as a PCT, would be check patients vital signs (temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.), perform daily living notations, hourly rounds, and (if any) bathing needs. The hardest part of the job would be maintaining and making sure all tasks are completed by the end of the shift.
Pros
pay rate, hour lunch break
Cons
dealing with grumpy patients
Uab
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2017
Overall, my experience with UAB have been great! The floor I work on is demanding, most RN's don't help, shoot my fellow PCT don't help for the most part BUT my patients have made my day! My patients are the reason I continue to come to work. The pay is competitive and is happy for my base pay but would be wonderful if I get paid more. They have options on their health insurance which is great but the fact that my doctors are at St. Vincent's Hospital I have to pick the most expensive plan.

My boss is so sweet as with ONE of the ANM, the other not so much lol. The workplace culture is confusing because everybody work independently and can be standoffish but they are willing to help IF you ask for it.

My only downer is I pay to park in the remote parking but since I work the weekends, they aren't open so I have to park near a meter.
Pros
Discounts, pay, patients, the fact I have a job, my boss
Cons
Parking, insurance costs, no help
Great company to work for
Acute Care Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2017
University of Alabama at Birmingham is a great place to work. The benefits are okay. The hardest part of the job is getting to know the hospital because of how big it is.
Good job for busy students
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 25, 2017
As a student, being a teaching assistant was one job that I was able to balance between schoolwork, and actually working. I taught a chemistry lab, so not only was a helping out the department, I was constantly learning chemistry myself, which is something I really loved about this job. Typically, I would go in, instruct about 35 students on what to do during this lab, then proceed to make sure everybody was performing the lab correctly. I also was in charge of helping create questions for the exams, and grading them, as well. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with grading. This job has definitely been my favorite.
Pros
you work the same time every single week
Cons
grading is very time consuming
Workplace with opportunities for advancement.
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 25, 2017
A typical work day was busy. I learned that as long as I performed my daily job tasks, I was content. Management was pleasant and accommodating. The culture of the workplace was quite diverse. What I felt to be the hardest part of my job was not always being able to make contact with all my clients. But the most enjoyable part of my job was the clients assigned to me.
Pros
Helping others.
Cons
Not that much pay.
Work well for the students of the University
Office Associate II (SHP/CDS) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 23, 2017
Given a great work environment, UAB is a great place to work.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the students
Hardest part of the job is getting assistance from upper management when problems occur.
Management can be difficult to work for in some areas.
Pros
Students
Cons
Does not take of care employees' concerns
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 23, 2017
They provide great benefits, they provide great tuition reimbursement, they also provide a lot of extra training. Hardest part of the job is not getting paid accurately
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed working in uab. It was an good place to work. The best thing about working in UAB was a flexible time. They manage your time accrding to your classes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2