University of Alabama, Birmingham

University of Alabama, Birmingham Employer Reviews

Positive temporary employment.
Art Instructor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 15, 2013
Pros: diversity, professional development
Cons: temporary employment
UAB was a great place to work; very diverse, positive, many professional development opportunities.
Ok, but could be better!
Instructional Design Specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 9, 2013
Working at UAB on some days can be very fulfilling, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done compensation being commensurate with one's duties.
Very easy to perform translational research
Research Coordinator Training (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 23, 2013
Doctors are very interested in learning and contributing to the cutting-edge of research. This makes it very easy to obtain samples and understand the clinical basis for our work.
Loved this job.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 23, 2013
This job was great! The only reason that I left was because my Mom was ill and my sister and I had to take turn taking care of her. It was easier for me to change shifts than my sister who was a school teacher.
UAB
Administrator Asst (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 19, 2013
Pros: education environment
Cons: salary
A typical day at work is productive with handling documents and grants. This job is very easy and I learn new things everyday.
Productive workplace
Grants and Contracts Officer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2013
High energy highly productive environment. The management is excellent and the organizational structure well organized. I enjoyed this job but am ready for other career challenges.
I taught micobiology lab to undergraduates at UAB
Microbiology Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 28, 2013
I was a teaching assistant for a microbiology lab at the Biology Department at University of Alabama at Birmingham. I taught the students how to identify unknown bacteria and proper methods for handling bacteria and various biochemicals that helped them identify the organisms. The supervisor was a graduate student who headed up the TA division and was – more... quite approachable. The best part was teaching the undergrads and the hardest again was grading them. – less
Productive , fun place to work at, get along very with co-worker
Research Specialist-Dept. of Psychology (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 20, 2013
Pros: safe invironment, smoke free, pleasant co-workers and a boss
Cons: its a part -time job
My typical day at work is reporting early to work . After reporting I plan for the day's activities. I do this by reviewing the previous day' tasks, this means those tasks finished and unfinished and then I determine and prioritize where to start my day this means consulting with my supervisor and co-workers if and when necessary. I learned to start – more... my day like this everyday. I work with my co-workers as a team. The hardest part of the day is make sure I have accomplished what is suppose to be done in the course of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that I have accomplished what need to done. – less
I worked with physicians and psychologist with implementing grant funded research projects
Coordinator of Health Education (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2013
Pros: working and educating people in the community, learn new research information, and having the opportunity of working with physicians and psychologists
Cons: grant funds ended
I worked in the area of research in which I assisted physicians and psychologist with writing and submitting protocols for grants. I worked with people in the community once grants were approved with recruiting and providing education regarding health related topics in areas in which there was a disparity of services based on race and socioeconomic – more... status.

I also reviewed medical dictation of medical residency students to monitor and evaluate their health care practices of patients. – less
Productive workplace
Associate Director of Compliance (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2013
Fast-pace work environment.
Night and weekend work required.
Developing young people is the best part of the job.
Co-workers are great to work with.
Good so far, just started
Starfish Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: uab rec center
Cons: none so far
I only work there one day out of the week to conduct swimming lessons. I also teach CPR/AED/First Aid when dates become available. The environment is energizing and different. Good so far.
Joe average university
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2013
It's like any other university -- story varies considerably by individual.
GOOD JOB
Janitor or Floor Cleaning specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great school job
Cons: time consuming
I learned many things from this job which allowed me to focus upon school and also be able to work and afford to stay on my own.
Great company to work for with good social and educational exposure.
Survey Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: i can work the hours i need. can come in late if i need to, just have to let them know.
Cons: there are no benefits, such as a 401k plan and no paid vacation
I must perform all guide lines when ever a perform a survey. These survey are being conducted on behalf to the Alabama Dept of Public Health so a certain protocol is needed to when conducting a health survey. A great deal of compliance with procedure is need. I've learn to work with these guide lines and I do very well when I follow them. Management – more... is always working with us and we are all scored when we do a survey. My co-workers know we are team and when we work together we do a great job. The hardest part of the job is being hung-up on and the most enjoyable is being complimented on doing a good survey – less
Friendly, professional work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: highly accommodating supervisors
Cons: limited duration - 7 months
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a graduate assistant in the UAB History Department. My supervisors and co-workers were friendly and professional, and the employee expectations were always very reasonable. I highly recommend the job to anyone in search of a job who enrolls in the UAB graduate history program.
Great atmosphere and comfortable setting.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2013
Working in a university setting is a great experience for someone who may be looking for a position that is fulfilling and enriching.
Great administrative experience
Office Associate II (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 19, 2013
Typed autopsy reports, grants, manuscripts for 5 pathologists. Coworkers were great and was able to see an autopsy done.
Nice place to work.
Office Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 18, 2013
Pros: one girl office
Cons: unable to meet new friends
Busy one girl office with a nice environment to work. The best part of the job was the opportunity to meet others.
Nice place to work
Enrollment Services Assistant Senior (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 15, 2013
Pros: office parties and no micro managing
Cons: not a lot of advancement and raises
We have a laid back environment and we have a ton of office parties which is always great.
Awesome employer and work experience.
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 31, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, hours of operation and location.
I was a clinical assistant in obstetrics / maternity. The best part of this job was assisting and caring for the patients as they prepared to bring their babies into the world.