University of Alabama, Birmingham

University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Productive and laidback environment
Information Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work entails supporting our faculty, staff, and students in regards to all of their computer needs. Any problem that comes up, via trouble ticket system, email, or phone, we address it. I also handle daily projects that deals with security updates and software installations.
Pros
Family Friendly environment
Cons
Pay is below average with little room for advancement within the department
Easy work place you work independently and at your own pace,
Environmental Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 15, 2015
I clock in at 3:55 a.M.Clean classrooms everyday.Offices monday and thursdays only.Clean restrooms,dust vacuum,pull trash.Get along with co workers well hardest part is pulling so much trash most enjoyable part is when I don't have office day.
Pros
WHEN THE STUDENTS HAVE ANY EVENTS WE ARE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE, 45 MINUTE LUNCH BREAK, GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
BEING TO WORK AT 4 A.M, TAKING TRASH OUT, OFFICE DAYS.
Students are the best part of this job. Politics is the worst part.
Professor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 25, 2012
I generally work a 12 -16 hour day. Student interaction is the highlight of the day. Managing student projects was a challenge to learn to motivate different personalities without the motivation of a paycheck. The worst part of the day was the politics and gossiping among the administration and other faculty. It's like watching the politics on an episode of a reality show on TV.
Pros
benefits are wonderful
Cons
inability to take trips etc due to class schedules
Many ways to design and make experiment required device.
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 29, 2016
Support a PHD to do project.
Depends on experiments result, to change and redesign experiment's device then test new devices again and again. I like to analysis data and depends on the result to discuss with others, then redesign the new device until we getting a device sample, which can reach experiments requirement.
Pros
working hours flexible
Great Job/Learning new things
Dealton Trucking Company (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 1, 2012
A typical work day at Dealton was getting all the clerical duties done. I had to complete DMV reports and take urine test on random employee. I learned about Health care plans and the benefits to each health care policy. My co-workers was very friendly and easy to get alone with. I am not sure if anything was hard about this job. The most enjoyable part was working with great co-workers and getting to know a little about Deaton Truck Drivers.
Pros
customer services
Cons
knowing that trucker had a hard job.
Good school, great place to learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2016
The student center is great, always learning, the boss will keep you laughing. Constant interaction with student's and guest to the university.
Great experience
BSN, RN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 3, 2016
Very productive and educational work experience. Wonderful diversified patient population. Learning opportunities at every corner. Very much enjoyed assisting patients and family members come back from difficult places to functional daily lives. Great facility.
Pros
Close restaurants for lunches.
Cons
Parking
Fast paced and friendly hospital setting
Admitting Coordinator and Hospital Operator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 19, 2014
I work 1st shift, 445am-115pm.
I have a vast knowledge of insurances, precertifications, billing, accounts P/R, collections, patient care and most all pertinent computer systems.
I have enjoyed working with al lmy coworkers over the yeas and maintain relationships with a good many of them outside of work.
Pros
Staying busy, close work family, benefits
Cons
Getting up at 3am on Mondays is hard!
Great place to work but choose departments carefully
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 26, 2013
UAB is the largest employer in the state. The pay is generous, my co-workers are very supportive and the benefits are excellent; however, I chose the wrong department in which to apply. My suggestion would be if you want to work at UAB, do your homework. Make sure you choose a department where you'd be valued and appreciated.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Too much competition for jobs.
great
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 25, 2016
This company is a great place to work they really care about their employees and their well being, they pay was great and had the opportunity to meet different people.
Job is Great, managment sucks
New Nurse (Former Employee) –  UNSNJuly 27, 2012
Working for UAB is a Great job..However, HR does NOTHING about the Managers who are Unfair and who Needs to go back to Nursing School themselves. Nurse Managers are also Nurses! They are to assist and direct/Manage in a Positive way! This does not happen on the Neurosurgery Unit (UNSN) Nurse Manager (E.T)is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worst I've ever worked for. Do Not work on this Unit.
benefits
Cons
nurse manager
Highly productive
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 20, 2012
I learned how to take care of people who are sick and in need. What I enjoyed the most was interacting with the patients on a daily basis. The co-workers did all the could to be as productive as possible and never wasted any time fulfilling their job duties. The hardest part of the job was being able to see certain patients one day and then suddenly they pass away the next.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
Stimulating and rewarding environment with ample opportunity for creative license and productivity
Managing Editor and Anthropology Department Liason (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2016
In addition to performing as a teacher's assistant (grading class discussions and inputting statistical analysis for the professor's independent academic research), I was in charge of re-designing the entire layout of the departmental webpages and providing original content such such as event reviews and interviews. I worked directly with the department chair and other anthropology department personnel as well as with IT and online media departments. The infinite liberty of the position was daunting at first, but it ultimately became a platform to represent the school and department in a rewardingly innovative capacity.
best place for research jobs
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 26, 2016
UAB is a very nice place to work. Having a university hospital in the campus makes it a very dynamic place especially for biomedical research. Coworkers and Staff are very friendly. Timing are flexible. I enjoyed working at UAB.
Great place to work with a few flaws.
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2012
The benefits are great, however moving from a secretarial position into a more professional position is very difficult.
Pros
errand solutions for faculty and staff
Cons
transfer difficulty, lack of consistent raises
Great place to gain experience and knowledge.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2012
Too much emphasis on RN responsibility and fault. Patient satifactory takes away from personality.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
scheduling, advancement, and hospital politics
Overall great place to work if you are an MD or PhD
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 25, 2012
Overall UAB is a good place to work. UAB will allow you to better yourself through education while maintaining a salary.
Pros
up to 12 hours of free education for full time employees
Cons
lower salary for locals and people without md or phd compared to national averages.
Suffocating Bureaucracy
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 13, 2015
Aside from having a massive bureaucracy, UAB is a great place to work with wonderful benefits. Birmingham is relatively cheap.
review
Clinical Trials Billing Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 3, 2014
great co-workers
work 8-5 Monday thru Friday
great management for our department
off all holidays
good benefits/ vacation time
nice retirement plan
Pros
off holidays
Cons
pay for parking
Nice place to work
Enrollment Services Assistant Senior (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 15, 2013
We have a laid back environment and we have a ton of office parties which is always great.
Pros
office parties and no micro managing
Cons
not a lot of advancement and raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2