University of Alabama, Birmingham

University of Alabama, Birmingham Employer Reviews

Productive, Educational Experience in a Large City
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 11, 2014
Great experience. Long hours due to schooling and TA position. Very good employer.
The best Job EVER!
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Selma, ALJanuary 31, 2014
I absolutley loved everything about this job! Loved my patients, coworkers, and physicians! If I would not have moved, I would still want to be there!
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 21, 2014
It allows you to work and learn at the same time. It allowed me to perfectly manage school and work, aiding as a graduate assistant.
The base of my educational foundation
Coursework Related Experience (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 13, 2014
It has developed great skills of computer scientist in my life.
Fantastic people
NIH Post-Doctoral Scholar (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: leader in research
This is one of the top research institutions in the world. There are many world class scientist and this opens the doors for a great deal of opportunities.
Professional environment
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 6, 2014
Very professional environment with room to grow, competitive salary, and good hours
Productive place to work
Research Intern (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 26, 2013
I learned excellent lab skills and improved my knowledge of cancer genetics.
Great place to work but choose departments carefully
Office Associate II (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 26, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: too much competition for jobs.
UAB is the largest employer in the state. The pay is generous, my co-workers are very supportive and the benefits are excellent; however, I chose the wrong department in which to apply. My suggestion would be if you want to work at UAB, do your homework. Make sure you choose a department where you'd be valued and appreciated.
Co-Worker/family Type of environment. Very rewarding in regaurds to helping people.
OA1/Receptionist-Guest Services Rep (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2013
Pros: relationships, supporting others, problem solutions
Cons: death
300-500 phone calls a day in the midst of helping a multitude of lost family memebers, nurses, vendors, clergy, Doctors, guest, and at times fellow emolyees. Fast paced? You've got it. Working at UAB has taught me to be patients and understanding, It has also shown me how much I can truly multi-task. Not to mention in numerous ways how it has advanced – more... my medical feild experience. The hardest part of the job is dealing with death. It can be very emtional you become friends with the people you encounter. With that bitter comes the sweet in the same sentence. Its very rewarding to meet so many different people and develope realationships. – less
Program Specialst
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 17, 2013
Higher Education and a very good place to work. In the state of Alabama.
Positive temporary employment.
Art Instructor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 15, 2013
Pros: diversity, professional development
Cons: temporary employment
UAB was a great place to work; very diverse, positive, many professional development opportunities.
Ok, but could be better!
Instructional Design Specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 9, 2013
Working at UAB on some days can be very fulfilling, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done compensation being commensurate with one's duties.
Very easy to perform translational research
Research Coordinator Training (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 23, 2013
Doctors are very interested in learning and contributing to the cutting-edge of research. This makes it very easy to obtain samples and understand the clinical basis for our work.
Loved this job.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 23, 2013
This job was great! The only reason that I left was because my Mom was ill and my sister and I had to take turn taking care of her. It was easier for me to change shifts than my sister who was a school teacher.
UAB
Administrator Asst (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 19, 2013
Pros: education environment
Cons: salary
A typical day at work is productive with handling documents and grants. This job is very easy and I learn new things everyday.
Productive workplace
Grants and Contracts Officer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2013
High energy highly productive environment. The management is excellent and the organizational structure well organized. I enjoyed this job but am ready for other career challenges.
I taught micobiology lab to undergraduates at UAB
Microbiology Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 28, 2013
I was a teaching assistant for a microbiology lab at the Biology Department at University of Alabama at Birmingham. I taught the students how to identify unknown bacteria and proper methods for handling bacteria and various biochemicals that helped them identify the organisms. The supervisor was a graduate student who headed up the TA division and was – more... quite approachable. The best part was teaching the undergrads and the hardest again was grading them. – less
Productive , fun place to work at, get along very with co-worker
Research Specialist-Dept. of Psychology (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 20, 2013
Pros: safe invironment, smoke free, pleasant co-workers and a boss
Cons: its a part -time job
My typical day at work is reporting early to work . After reporting I plan for the day's activities. I do this by reviewing the previous day' tasks, this means those tasks finished and unfinished and then I determine and prioritize where to start my day this means consulting with my supervisor and co-workers if and when necessary. I learned to start – more... my day like this everyday. I work with my co-workers as a team. The hardest part of the day is make sure I have accomplished what is suppose to be done in the course of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that I have accomplished what need to done. – less
I worked with physicians and psychologist with implementing grant funded research projects
Coordinator of Health Education (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2013
Pros: working and educating people in the community, learn new research information, and having the opportunity of working with physicians and psychologists
Cons: grant funds ended
I worked in the area of research in which I assisted physicians and psychologist with writing and submitting protocols for grants. I worked with people in the community once grants were approved with recruiting and providing education regarding health related topics in areas in which there was a disparity of services based on race and socioeconomic – more... status.

I also reviewed medical dictation of medical residency students to monitor and evaluate their health care practices of patients. – less
Productive workplace
Associate Director of Compliance (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2013
Fast-pace work environment.
Night and weekend work required.
Developing young people is the best part of the job.
Co-workers are great to work with.