University of Alabama, Birmingham

University of Alabama, Birmingham Employer Reviews

I worked with physicians and psychologist with implementing grant funded research projects
Coordinator of Health Education (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2013
Pros: working and educating people in the community, learn new research information, and having the opportunity of working with physicians and psychologists
Cons: grant funds ended
I worked in the area of research in which I assisted physicians and psychologist with writing and submitting protocols for grants. I worked with people in the community once grants were approved with recruiting and providing education regarding health related topics in areas in which there was a disparity of services based on race and socioeconomic – more... status.

I also reviewed medical dictation of medical residency students to monitor and evaluate their health care practices of patients. – less
Productive workplace
Associate Director of Compliance (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2013
Fast-pace work environment.
Night and weekend work required.
Developing young people is the best part of the job.
Co-workers are great to work with.
Good so far, just started
Starfish Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: uab rec center
Cons: none so far
I only work there one day out of the week to conduct swimming lessons. I also teach CPR/AED/First Aid when dates become available. The environment is energizing and different. Good so far.
Joe average university
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2013
It's like any other university -- story varies considerably by individual.
GOOD JOB
Janitor or Floor Cleaning specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great school job
Cons: time consuming
I learned many things from this job which allowed me to focus upon school and also be able to work and afford to stay on my own.
Great company to work for with good social and educational exposure.
Survey Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: i can work the hours i need. can come in late if i need to, just have to let them know.
Cons: there are no benefits, such as a 401k plan and no paid vacation
I must perform all guide lines when ever a perform a survey. These survey are being conducted on behalf to the Alabama Dept of Public Health so a certain protocol is needed to when conducting a health survey. A great deal of compliance with procedure is need. I've learn to work with these guide lines and I do very well when I follow them. Management – more... is always working with us and we are all scored when we do a survey. My co-workers know we are team and when we work together we do a great job. The hardest part of the job is being hung-up on and the most enjoyable is being complimented on doing a good survey – less
Friendly, professional work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: highly accommodating supervisors
Cons: limited duration - 7 months
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a graduate assistant in the UAB History Department. My supervisors and co-workers were friendly and professional, and the employee expectations were always very reasonable. I highly recommend the job to anyone in search of a job who enrolls in the UAB graduate history program.
Great atmosphere and comfortable setting.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2013
Working in a university setting is a great experience for someone who may be looking for a position that is fulfilling and enriching.
Great administrative experience
Office Associate II (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 19, 2013
Typed autopsy reports, grants, manuscripts for 5 pathologists. Coworkers were great and was able to see an autopsy done.
Nice place to work.
Office Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 18, 2013
Pros: one girl office
Cons: unable to meet new friends
Busy one girl office with a nice environment to work. The best part of the job was the opportunity to meet others.
Nice place to work
Enrollment Services Assistant Senior (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 15, 2013
Pros: office parties and no micro managing
Cons: not a lot of advancement and raises
We have a laid back environment and we have a ton of office parties which is always great.
Awesome employer and work experience.
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 31, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, hours of operation and location.
I was a clinical assistant in obstetrics / maternity. The best part of this job was assisting and caring for the patients as they prepared to bring their babies into the world.
UAB is an excellent university and a great place to work.
Food Science Research Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 29, 2013
I completed my education at UAB at both the undergraduate and graduate level. I also worked on my postdoctoral fellowship at UAB. They have excellent benefits and excellent professors.
busy
Cardiovascular Technician (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 24, 2013
Pros: the benetfits
Cons: manditor stay over
Atypical day is very busy. I learned new equipment . The management was ok. Was the parking at UAB. What I love was being out on the floor putting patients on the monitor.
Demanding, educating, encouraging and enjoyable
Coordinator (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 19, 2013
Pros: the ability to work from home when not feeling well.
Cons: when clients were dissatisfied with suggestions to assit with solving their issues.
Looking at notes left the day before that I didn't answer or contacting persons that I could not reach.

Checking my messages to see what and who needs to speak with me. Determing what issues require immediate action. Attend to the most urgent issues first and then start to tackle what ever is before me.
However, there is also the phone that has to – more... be answered with a just now issue and do my best to handle at that point if possible.

I learned that discussion is a great tool for solving issues of disagreement and willing to accept ideas from others, and even allow others to assist me.

Management requirements were attainable and as long as the requirements were met there on time. If for any reason that you were not prepared, a notice to management before it is due as to what and why you aren't ready, if acceptabe an extension may be given.

The hardest part of the job was to see clients continually repeat things that were not in their best interest.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing clients grow and move to better ways of life. – less
Great People
Laboratory Assistant in the Neuroscience Core (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2013
The people, from colleagues to administration are great with assisting with your daily activities, along with helping to reach your career goals.
AN AWESOME OPPORTUNITY.TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT FIELD IS EXCELLENT
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 3, 2013
Pros: free checking account
IT WAS A GREAT OPPOTUNITY WORKING WITH OTHERS IN THE HOUSEKEEPING DEPARTMENT.I LEARNED FLOOR TECHNIQUES.THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS THE HOURS BUT I MAINTAINED.CO WORKERS WERE GREAT HELPING WITH TRAINING ME TO DO THE JOB CORRECT AND ON TIME.THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS GIVING OUTPAIENTS DIRECTIONS TO WHERE THEY NEEDED TO BE WHEN THEY GOT – more... LOST BECAUSE THERE WERE A FEAR TIMES I GOT LOST AN NEEDED HELP SO IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ABLE TO GUIDE PEOLE. – less
Great place to really help patients and sharpen your customer service skills
Medical Billing/Collections Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2013
Daily calls of inbound patients with questions to understand their balance after insurance was billed. Outbound calls to make arrangements for payment of outstanding balance or to offer assistance via payment plans and financial assistance.

hardest part of the job is explaining to patients that are upset why they owed a balance and informing them that – more... insurance doesn't pay everything.

most enjoyable part of the job is the same as the hardest part. Explaining to patients to give them clarity and knowledge as to how their insurance works so that they walk away with a better understanding of their bill. – less
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 25, 2013
Pros: great salary
Cons: paying for parking
Great place to work. I just wish that they would offer free parking for their employees like other businesses do.
Very stounch gotya aditude
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 4, 2013
Pros: good benifets
Cons: not for disabled
Decent place to work but to much on the disabled, Much abuse, supervisor starting mess between employees,
Never taking in to concederation that a disabled person may not be able to preform as well as a normal person. Always allowing other employees to talk abusive about others. Allowed to create your own space.