University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 25, 2017
Both the physical environment and interpersonal environment are pleasant. Everybody on campus is super nice and willing to help. I learned a lot here regarding how to be a good person.
As a graduate student, I arrive the department building around 9am and come home around 6 every work day. I go to school on weekends most of time but not always. I have vocations on national holidays. I have been teaching undergraduate courses here for more than 2 years now. The hardest part of the job is to teach students generalizable concepts meanwhile giving them clear instruction and demonstration for assignments. The most enjoyable part of the job is to walk to campus and greet my colleagues every day.
Pros
enjoyable physical and social environment
Cons
lack of research money
Fun workplace with enthusiastic patrons
Box Office Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 22, 2017
A typical day as ticket seller began with opening the box office. I signed in to our ticket selling program and looked for any additional work that needed to get done before the box office closed for the day or before a show that night. As a more senior seller, I was frequently in charge of the box office, helping the novice sellers operate the ticket printing machine (BOCA) or helping them with any computer issues that arose. I loved working as a ticket seller in a theatre's box office. It was a fun environment that allowed me to be professional and open to the needs of our patrons, as well as communicate with the actors, stage managers, lighting designers, etc. on a daily basis.
Productive and fun environment
Student Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 16, 2017
Observed relationships between coach and student athlete. Participated when required to allow practice to run smoothly. Enjoyable environment.
great for going to school
Competitive Club & Intramural Sports Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed the job and it was helpful to have it while I was in school. The hours were flexible and I enjoyed working outdoors
Amazing school
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 9, 2017
Working at the LAB with my students.
Working on my proposals and research.
Creating class lecture and preparing homework and tests for the students.
Evaluating students performance.
Office hours for students.
the working environment is good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 6, 2017
the university locates at a quiet and small town, which is helpful if you want to concentrate on your study for not many choices for leisure time.
Worked as a network administrator where my duties included maintaining and troubleshooting network and personal computers.
Network Administrator, Simulations Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 3, 2017
Employed as a defense contractor to the Research Development and Engineering Center (RDEC) of the U.S. Army located on Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. Worked as a network administrator where my duties included maintaining and troubleshooting network and personal computer related problems for over 200 end users. Duties included installing and testing network and fiber optic cabling, performing networking, hardware and software installations, upgrades, and troubleshooting. I provided support and troubleshooting duties for Windows NT, 2000, and XP based systems. I also provided end-user technical support in both hardware and software applications where it was necessary to maintain excellent personal relations. This included working closely with coworkers, staff and technicians in identifying and resolving problems. While employed, I held a U.S. DOD secret security clearance.
Great experience
Personal Health Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 2, 2017
Overall, a great work environment. The department of Health Science is filled with great employees. Great flexibility and freedom for my teaching style.
Good funding package for graduate students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 29, 2016
Students funding package includes tuition scholarship and graduate teaching assistant position. Generally less than 25 hours of work, despite assignment.
Research on Rural ADT model development and validation
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 14, 2016
I supposed to work 20hrs per week. During this period i will be performing research on Transportation Engineering using GIS.
Transition
Football Player(Def. Captain) (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 12, 2016
Playing football at the University of Alabama opened up a lot of avenues and it allowed me to be able to use their platform to be able to reach kids younger than myself or even adults
Pros
Growing in life
Nice place to work, loved my work schedule
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 17, 2016
Loved working overtime, Monday-Friday off on weekends, get off work 12:30 in the afternoon
If your looking for a job with a "set schedule" this is the job for you.
Cons
The amount of work vs. the amount of money an hour
Great Job to gain experience working in Higher Education
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 8, 2016
The University of Alabama allowed me to cross over from working in the community to Higher Education. As a result of being here inspired me to go back to college and complete my Master's Degree.
Pros
Days Off when the school is closed-Paid Holidays
Cons
No job advancement in my area
alabama motorpool
Automotive Technician II (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 7, 2016
worked on all types of transportation from golf carts to garbage trucks and all types of repairs the shop stays pretty clean because they have clean up days cookers there are mostly nice but u are kind of on ur own with repairs
Pros
hour lunch in a great place to eat and no rush on work
Cons
shops not heated or cooled and its hard to get vacation days approved
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 28, 2016
With the new additions of the Mechanical Engineering department, the research abilities have grown in the engine and combustion region.
great place to work
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 18, 2016
good employer,has some of the best benefits in the state.
takes care of it's employees,and has an great tuition asssistance
program for it's employees.
Pros
education benefits
Cons
not the best pay but ok
Learned a great deal about parenting and how people view their role as a caregiver.
Parent Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  651 5th Ave East Tuscaloosa, Al 35487September 15, 2016
Answered calls from parents with questions about how best to handle certain parenting situations.
Wrote 130 "tip sheets" that were sent in the mail to parents who requested them.
Developed a FB page for PAL-Parenting Assistance Line
Fun place to work.
Alumni & Volunteer Recruitment (AVR)Team (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 7, 2016
The University of Alabama promotes work life balance and great work hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to participate in game day activities.
good university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 1, 2016
Roll Tide Roll

The university of Alabama have improved in many areas since I started my graduate studies at the university in 2009.
great place to study and involve in activities (research/teaching) and more importantly college foot ball.
Productive and Diverse workplace
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 22, 2016
As both a student and worker at the University of Alabama, I feel very comfortable in the company culture and see opportunities for advancement. The staff is very friendly and so far my transition into the position has been relatively smooth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5