University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employer Reviews

Productive workplace
IAC Center Coordinator (Current Employee), Mechanical Engineering DepartmentApril 15, 2014
Conduct planning, organizing, scheduling for energy audits at industrial manufacturing facilities in accordance with U.S. Department of Energy regulations. Attend on site assessments and oversee student workers.
I've learned alot
Bulk Mail Specialist (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALApril 8, 2014
I have for sure learned a lot while working at the UA. Co workers are great. Management is awful mainly the reason I'm seeking a new job. The job is not hard it does require heavy lifting.
job
Adjunct Professor - Journalism (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALApril 3, 2014
Pros: a typical day at work, what you learned management, your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons: a typical day at work, what you learned management, your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Great way to pay for textbooks and build your resume
Community Fellow (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 30, 2014
Pros: free fun events, flexible hours
Cons: low pay
Fun place to work, but student positions do not pay much financially speaking. You are mainly paid via resume building.
Excellent student job.
Financial Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 11, 2014
Loved it as a student.
Loved my co-workers.
Gameday activities on the quad.
Relaxing workplace
Desk Assistant (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 6, 2014
Pros: flexible hours.
Cons: no job security
Time at work depended on shift but overall the experience was what you made it.
university
Research Site Coordinator (Former Employee), tuscaloosa, alMarch 6, 2014
Completed research study with care givers and recipients aged 60+
Great learning experience!
Faculty Assistant, Assistant Curator (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 5, 2014
Pros: working with the professor.
Cons: low pay.
You get to work closely with a professor and learn the basics of your field.
University a decent place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 24, 2014
The University of Alabama Physics Department was a decent place to work.
Great place to work where there is never a dull moment
Football Student Manager (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2014
Being a football student manager is the best job one can have while attending college. Yes, it does fill up your schedule. It also does not leave much free time while in-season, but it is very enjoyable and interesting for anyone who loves sports. Although our work went unnoticed by most, it was a privilege to be able to work with such an outstanding – more... organization. I was able to develop strong friendships with many of my diverse co-workers, and we always found ways to have a good time while remaining hard at work. I guess one of the hardest parts of the job was not getting to go home as much as other students, and remaining on campus over several of the breaks. Although, I will admit this was a fair trade while winning championships. I would say that one of my personal favorite parts of the job was being able to travel with the team to various college towns and experience differing game day atmospheres. I would definitely recommend this job for anyone that has a passion for college football. Roll Tide! – less
Great Atmosphere, Great co-workers and management flexible schedule
Conference Coordinator (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2014
Ensure all events conducted at the Ferguson Center located on the campus of the University of Alabama are structurally correct to ensure the success of the event.
Custodian Worker (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlabamaFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: long lunch
I learned a lot about cleaning and the different types of cleaning products
It is a good graduate school
Research Assistant (Former Employee), TuscaloosaFebruary 2, 2014
My hands on experience and trouble shoot skills improved a lot due to the good projects in this graduate school.
Understanding and fun environment to work in
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Screen phone calls, interview potential research study participants, schedule appointments, organize filing system, fax documents, distribute incoming/ outgoing mail, manage/ update database, data entry, assist as needed. Co-workers as well as management were very outgoing and laid back. It was very easy to talk to management if ever problems occurred.
Top notch facilities and research group and advisement
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 21, 2014
Could not have asked for a better graduate school and research experience towards my PhD for these last 4 years.

Applicable curriculum and lab techniques for future research empolyment opportunities in the Chemical Engineering field.
Productive and passionate place on my research
PhD in Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 16, 2014
Perform CFD computational simulation by using ANSYS FLUENT

CFD method, mesh generation, post-results processing, FLUENT

The process of overcoming difficulties is the most enjoyable part

Some time needs to work solely is the hardest part
A Typical Day As A Professor
Instructor (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: seeing students grow with my assistance
Cons: seeing students fail because of a lack trying.
To the contrary of reality, often students imagine their Professor simply arriving on campus, picking up mail from a faculty mailbox, perhaps making one or two telephone calls in their office, and then heading to class. Truth is, the actual work of a College Professor is forever ongoing – many days, 24/7.

Committees and Professional Panel Participation

Professors – more... serve on countless academic committees (in the roles of both Committee member and Committee Chair) for which the Professor must research, and prep for, sometimes extensively. Being prepared to serve on academic panels (both on and off one's main campus) and/or to serve within academic seminars and workshops are often a given.

Book Review and Selections

Many Professors are charged with reviewing and selecting the best and most effective textbook for their students and often, for multi- courses within their department. Most Professors have scheduled appointments with local and national Book Publishers or their representatives (or as often happens, are caught off guard when the reps inevitably wonder by).

Scheduled Office Hours

All Professors hold scheduled office hours dedicated solely to and for their individual students.

Professor Evaluations; Staff Development Sessions; and Workshops

Many Professors contribute weekly slices of hours to update and maintain their academic portfolios, for various reasons, including for pedagogical evaluations (mandatory – regardless of tenure) – or simply for the purpose of escalating possibilities that their academic proposals will be granted financial funding. Its a given, that all professors are expected to be actively involved (and often) in Staff Developemnet workshops and professional presentations, for the purpose of learning new ways in meeting and maintaining academic excellence.

Moreover, most college Professors go about the business of reading, daily, various newspapers; pedagogical commentaries and academic viewpoints (found often inside their subscribed ‘Chronicle of Higher Education’); review specialized Journals to assure awareness of forever ongoing trends in Education

Networking; Supervision; Campus Event Planning and Additional Prep

Most Professors converse often, with various leaders throughout off-campus communities for the purpose of securing that these leaders will agree to visit, speak, and assist in inspiring their students. Many professors assure and monitor internships for their students overall career success. Professors also supervise students who work for them through work-study programs, in which they must also assure that state regulations and policies are being followed correctly, as well as schedule and attend to cumulative work hours.

Professors often utilize many hours within their workday, planning and implementing statewide; national; and/or international academic events – which require a great deal of preparation to assure high levels of success and positive publicity for their department, division, or overall, the college or university, in general. Professors must prepare their lectures and academic discussions, review and order academic film, and often create highly creative PowerPoint presentations to further inspire their students with forever ongoing trends in Education

Writing Responsibilites

Many College Professors spend countless hours, and sometimes years, to author academic textbooks. Many Professors utilize many hours of 'at home' time (in addition to before; between; and after giving lectures), to research and write about various academic dynamics; general knowledge regarding any specific entity; or simply writing about how to make the world a better place. Community College Professors must concentrate on teaching effectiveness. University Professors must write and assure constant publications.

Assuring Student Recongnition; Support; and Student Recommendations (both vebally and in writing)

Often, Professors create academic awards to further inspire and motivate their students. For me, 'Leadership Awards' for each class at semester's end, have proven to be priceless in promoting further self confidence within my specific academic discipline (Speech Communications). The awards include 'Most Likely to be Promoted to the Highest Ranks of His/Her Professions' and 'Most Likely to Lead our Nation within the Century', and are especially rewarding because I, as Professor, have nothing to do with selecting the winner. The Award Receipient is selected by college peers.

Professors often meet, and converse with Human Resource professionals regarding current and former students’ academic achievements. Professionally and individually, I have been interviewed (several times, in fact) by such VIPs as the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) to discuss, always in person, the ethics and character of students desiring to work within the American criminal justice arena, or specifically perhaps, desiring to work in Homeland Security.

Meeting Deadlines; Academic Curriculum Planning; Development; Implimentation; and Student Assessment

Professors always have deadlines (sometimes, critical) to meet, and federal and state reports to submit. Accredited universities and colleges require that their Professors participate actively in the planning; development; and implementation of general education curriculum requirements, as well as developing specific criteria for their individual academic department, including the assurance that crucial core skills and competencies are being taught and assessed appropriately and effectively. Of course, Professors are solely responsible for reading and evaluating essays; term papers; observing oral presentations; developing; and administering quizzes and exams (computerized or/and in writing).

Of course it’s a given that Professors are also required to read and respond to emails from students, college administrators, and other on and off-campus professionals and colleagues. Finally, but never least, Professors must also assure that their students with special needs receive proper and professional guidance and attention. – less
friendly
Farsi Tutor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 22, 2013
- teach at the university
- learned how to teach Farsi to non-speakers
- the management was good
- I did not have co-workers
- Teach the Alphabet to the students
- Felt teaching new things to the students
Great University
Campaign Agent (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlabamaDecember 13, 2013
A typical day was going to class and communicating with other students. I had campaign classes that worked directly with other organizations. It was through these campaign classes that I was able to help plan and execute campaigns for different companies such as United Cerebral Palsy of West Alabama. Working with motivated people was a huge deal to – more... me because getting things accomplished was not stressful. There were a few groups that I was in where I had group members that lacked effort and motivation. That made the job harder than it needed to be. I enjoyed the experiences I had and the connections that I made. – less
University of Alabama
Assistant Professor & Director of Opera (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 8, 2013
My typical day began at 7 am and ended at 10 pm

I learned many things, for which I am grateful. Strategic planning, marketing, building a small Board, fundraising and managing a budget, and to recruit.

But it gave me more opportunity to build and manage a team of creative people. I had experience when I was in high school and college managing businesses, – more... but this was my opportunity to build a team, learn to delegate, hone their strengths, and create.

I also had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people, within and without the university. This was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Alabama

The University of Alabama (UA) is a public research university located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA, and the flagship of the University – Read more