University of Alabama Employee Reviews

great place to work
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 18, 2016
good employer,has some of the best benefits in the state.
takes care of it's employees,and has an great tuition asssistance
program for it's employees.
Pros
education benefits
Cons
not the best pay but ok
Enjoyable place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 25, 2017
Both the physical environment and interpersonal environment are pleasant. Everybody on campus is super nice and willing to help. I learned a lot here regarding how to be a good person.
As a graduate student, I arrive the department building around 9am and come home around 6 every work day. I go to school on weekends most of time but not always. I have vocations on national holidays. I have been teaching undergraduate courses here for more than 2 years now. The hardest part of the job is to teach students generalizable concepts meanwhile giving them clear instruction and demonstration for assignments. The most enjoyable part of the job is to walk to campus and greet my colleagues every day.
Pros
enjoyable physical and social environment
Cons
lack of research money
Fun workplace with enthusiastic patrons
Box Office Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 22, 2017
A typical day as ticket seller began with opening the box office. I signed in to our ticket selling program and looked for any additional work that needed to get done before the box office closed for the day or before a show that night. As a more senior seller, I was frequently in charge of the box office, helping the novice sellers operate the ticket printing machine (BOCA) or helping them with any computer issues that arose. I loved working as a ticket seller in a theatre's box office. It was a fun environment that allowed me to be professional and open to the needs of our patrons, as well as communicate with the actors, stage managers, lighting designers, etc. on a daily basis.
Worked as a network administrator where my duties included maintaining and troubleshooting network and personal computers.
Network Administrator, Simulations Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 3, 2017
Employed as a defense contractor to the Research Development and Engineering Center (RDEC) of the U.S. Army located on Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. Worked as a network administrator where my duties included maintaining and troubleshooting network and personal computer related problems for over 200 end users. Duties included installing and testing network and fiber optic cabling, performing networking, hardware and software installations, upgrades, and troubleshooting. I provided support and troubleshooting duties for Windows NT, 2000, and XP based systems. I also provided end-user technical support in both hardware and software applications where it was necessary to maintain excellent personal relations. This included working closely with coworkers, staff and technicians in identifying and resolving problems. While employed, I held a U.S. DOD secret security clearance.
Exciting but physically daunting if clients needed restraints.
Direct Care Worker (DCW) (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 5, 2016
The best part of my job was the teamwork. The worst part of the job was not being recognized for the achievements we obtained.
benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Great Job to gain experience working in Higher Education
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 8, 2016
The University of Alabama allowed me to cross over from working in the community to Higher Education. As a result of being here inspired me to go back to college and complete my Master's Degree.
Pros
Days Off when the school is closed-Paid Holidays
Cons
No job advancement in my area
Productive and Diverse workplace
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 22, 2016
As both a student and worker at the University of Alabama, I feel very comfortable in the company culture and see opportunities for advancement. The staff is very friendly and so far my transition into the position has been relatively smooth.
Fast paced, detail oriented
Intern Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 10, 2016
It's the type of place where you will thrive if you do what's asked of you, and pay attention to the details of tasks assigned.
Pros
Tons of weight to lift
Cons
No salary
alabama motorpool
Automotive Technician II (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 7, 2016
worked on all types of transportation from golf carts to garbage trucks and all types of repairs the shop stays pretty clean because they have clean up days cookers there are mostly nice but u are kind of on ur own with repairs
Pros
hour lunch in a great place to eat and no rush on work
Cons
shops not heated or cooled and its hard to get vacation days approved
Nice place to work, loved my work schedule
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 17, 2016
Loved working overtime, Monday-Friday off on weekends, get off work 12:30 in the afternoon
If your looking for a job with a "set schedule" this is the job for you.
Cons
The amount of work vs. the amount of money an hour
Fun place to work.
Alumni & Volunteer Recruitment (AVR)Team (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 7, 2016
The University of Alabama promotes work life balance and great work hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to participate in game day activities.
Amazing school
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 9, 2017
Working at the LAB with my students.
Working on my proposals and research.
Creating class lecture and preparing homework and tests for the students.
Evaluating students performance.
Office hours for students.
Transition
Football Player(Def. Captain) (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 12, 2016
Playing football at the University of Alabama opened up a lot of avenues and it allowed me to be able to use their platform to be able to reach kids younger than myself or even adults
Pros
Growing in life
great for going to school
Competitive Club & Intramural Sports Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed the job and it was helpful to have it while I was in school. The hours were flexible and I enjoyed working outdoors
Good funding package for graduate students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 29, 2016
Students funding package includes tuition scholarship and graduate teaching assistant position. Generally less than 25 hours of work, despite assignment.
the working environment is good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 6, 2017
the university locates at a quiet and small town, which is helpful if you want to concentrate on your study for not many choices for leisure time.
Productive and fun environment
Student Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 16, 2017
Observed relationships between coach and student athlete. Participated when required to allow practice to run smoothly. Enjoyable environment.
Great experience
Personal Health Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 2, 2017
Overall, a great work environment. The department of Health Science is filled with great employees. Great flexibility and freedom for my teaching style.
Research on Rural ADT model development and validation
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 14, 2016
I supposed to work 20hrs per week. During this period i will be performing research on Transportation Engineering using GIS.
Excellent work environment with many opportunities for involvement.
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 11, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the University of Alabama. My day-to-day duties included providing course and career counseling to students. I learned a great deal about the university's policies as well as information specifically related to my position. My co-workers were extremely helpful in answering my questions and offering suggestions, as were my supervisors, from the beginning. These relationships helped foster a productive working environment. The most difficult part of my job required me to help students assess their competitiveness for professional school and their chosen careers, which often led to them exploring other career options. The most enjoyable part of my job was receiving thanks from students who were accepted into professional school and from working directly with those highly motivated and determined students.
Pros
Excellent relationships, PTO, holidays off, opportunities for involvement
Cons
Low salary, few avenues for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5