University of Alabama Employee Reviews

productive
nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 13, 2017
A great learning experience , as I work various areas such as the ICU' dialysis, the general medicine wards. The experience involve different types of patients coping with various illnesses.
Pros
good experience
Cons
lack of advancement
Summary
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 11, 2017
Not a bad school to work for. Faculty are helpful. Students aren't bad. Adjunct pay is adjunct pay. Tough to balance with a full-time job. Relocated or would have kept teaching.
Relaxed research environment allows you to work at your own pace
Undergraduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 9, 2017
It's a research environment, so the impetus to do work falls on you, and as long as you are getting your work done nobody really cares how many hours you put in
Productive and an exciting place to work
Admin/Clerical (Dispatch/Scheduler) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 8, 2017
Depending on the department you are work in, UAB is a great place to work according to benefits, but can be stressful at times. The management varies also depending on department. The environment
Great job opportunties, just not at the Ferg
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 6, 2017
the University Of Alabama in the Ferguson Student Center management over custodian has no clue to the operation of a custodian crew. Not consistence on work schedule.
Pros
wonderful benefits and pay
Cons
short staff, not considered of employees
great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 4, 2017
Great managers and staff. Very supportive from top to bottom. Busy times far outweigh the slow periods.Students are nice and respectful. Very busy during football season.
challenging and fun
Huntsville, Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 4, 2017
The work is very engaging and challenging. But the Faculty and staff are very supportive in reaching the goals . Making sure we fulfill the skills and knowledge necessary in the real world applcations
UAB is a good place to work.
Information Systems Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2017
UAB is a good place to work. Being the largest employer, there is some variability in how you are treated--pressure, micro-managing, and hectic schedule.
Being the largest employer, they pick and choose their candidates, based on the best experience for the absolute lowest cost. They will sacrifice quality for cost. My advice on taking a job there is to negotiate the best salary you can get, up front. The most you will see in raises are COLAs, unless you are consistently exceptional at what you do, and they really don't want to lose you.
My 25 years with UAB was spent with good bosses, however, and was overall a pleasant place to work. I was reclassified to a higher grade and title twice, and did quite well for myself. I left because I could retire from the Teacher's Retirement System, and still pursue other opportunities.
a good company to work for
Maintenance mechanic/HVAC apprentice (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 24, 2017
good coworkers, good supervision, great benefits, safe environment
I work there for 25 years and retired, then went back part time for another 3 years
Pros
great medicial and retiement
Cons
can not think of anything
Good university
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 21, 2017
Placements could have been better, but overall a good university to study Cyber Security.
Limited On campus job opportunities for Cyber Security students.
Great place to work during school!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 21, 2017
The GA positions at UA are incredible- I get tuition and a monthly stipend, plus work experience! I would recommend any graduate program at UA especially if you find a GA position.
The University of Alabama is my home
Irrigation Technician (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 16, 2017
The University of Alabama is my home and I would absolutely love to return to work for them whenever the possibility presents itself. I cannot think of a better place to work.
Pros
Best place to work in Alabama hands down.
Only Interned
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 15, 2017
I only served as an intern with the University. Therefore, I am not totally sure how to rate it as an employment opportunity. From what I have seen, though, it seems great.
Productive workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 14, 2017
Great clerical job. You could have a really busy day or a really slow day. Management is great. The job isn't hard, but you do a lot of tedious things.
Great work environment, fun group of individuals
Senior Admissions Recruiter/Group Tour Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 11, 2017
Great work environment and management. Great benefits, which helped make up for not as great of pay. No set schedule of things to do each day. Each day was different. Opportunities to travel.
Benefits
Cons
Not as great of pay
Fun and Valuable
Economics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 7, 2017
Being a student that is also a teaching assistant was a valuable experience due to the fact that you see the classes from both sides. The management comes down to the professor you help which tends to be good. Less strenuous hours than a normal class and some pay for the work. The only downfall is that you had to pay the university for the role.
Excellent oppurtunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 1, 2017
The Research experience for undergraduates was an exciting and valuable learning experience. I was able to work directly with a research topic I was interested in.
it was great working with the kids
Executive Chef / Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 25, 2017
its a great place to work, I wouldn't have changed anything the environment the kids the management where all professional the reaching out for help and the quick responses where excellent
Pros
I was able to have a life
Cons
3 month vacation
Excellent educational and work experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 24, 2017
I earned my Master of Arts in French Literature as well as completed one-year of doctoral studies of French literature. During this time, I also taught courses in French to undergraduates of the University.
Growing university campus with excellent attention to physical campus.
Professor of Education (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 14, 2017
The College of Education within the University of Alabama has turned the corner from a teaching and service College to a more sophisticated research unit in the past 5 years. Within Special Education and Multiple Abilities, the Multiple Abilities Program is nationally recognized and consistently develops Elementary teachers capable of diversification of instruction to meet the individual needs of all types and abilities of learners.