University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employee Reviews

Productive and enlightening experience
Online Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), College of Human Environmental Science (Online).May 28, 2015
Pros: I feel I learned more from the students I taught them.
Cons: It was a short term position that offered me the opportunity to teach.
As part of my Capstone project for my master’s degree I served as an online teaching assistant at the University of Alabama’s College of Human Environmental Science. The most enjoyable part of being an online teaching assistant was interacting with the students and facilitating a creative and enjoyable eLearning environment. The hardest part of the job was providing adequate feedback and constructive criticism to 50+ students. A typical work day consisted of checking and responding to emails from students (this was done three times a day); proofreading previous lectures to insure they were up-to-date and accurate; generating lectures via podcasts, Word tutorials, and website training modules; and uploading these lectures to the Blackboard Learning Management System; grading assignments; posting grades; and providing feedback for each student. While in the performance of these duties I learned a lot about time management and how to effectively communicate with individuals who are spatially separated. The Professors and Associate professors that I worked with were some of the best in their field. From them I learned to develop eLearning solutions to meet an organizations training needs.
Nanoscience internship
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMay 24, 2015
This internship was awesome. I had minimal supervision. I got to live on campus. I got $2500 tax free money and I was 17. I was completely awesome I loved it.
Room for growth
Instructor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMay 13, 2015
Pros: Extensive support, great environment
Cons: Not enough funding
UA provided plenty of support for me in my days following undergrad. The staff I interacted with on a daily basis was entirely professional and willing to help.
Excellent work environment with many opportunities for involvement.
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMay 11, 2015
Pros: Excellent relationships, PTO, holidays off, opportunities for involvement
Cons: Low salary, few avenues for advancement
I thoroughly enjoyed working for the University of Alabama. My day-to-day duties included providing course and career counseling to students. I learned a great deal about the university's policies as well as information specifically related to my position. My co-workers were extremely helpful in answering my questions and offering suggestions, as were my supervisors, from the beginning. These relationships helped foster a productive working environment. The most difficult part of my job required me to help students assess their competitiveness for professional school and their chosen careers, which often led to them exploring other career options. The most enjoyable part of my job was receiving thanks from students who were accepted into professional school and from working directly with those highly motivated and determined students.
Overworked and not respected
Custodial (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa ALApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: no respect, overworked, strict rules and regulations
Although this job pays well and has great benefits it is not without great sacrifice. The custodial staff are treated like trash. We have no respect and are blamed for anything that goes wrong within the building. We are over worked even for the amount of pay we receive. The managers treat you like your a child and you are talked to like a child. There are so many rules that it can be compared to a prison. Our every move is watched and scrutinized. The work we do is never enough for them. My co-workers are very great people and are some of the only people who will really understand what one is going through. The only enjoyable part of this job are the great workers you meat along the way. This job offers great benefits with sick and annual leave time but in order to take either you have to have proof every time of any reason you are out and they hassle you when requesting off time even though you earned it.
Educational Workplace
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Being able to make your own schedule
Cons: Can burn you out fast if you do not have many days off
At UAB hospital it gives employees the chance to learn about the health field as well as having a lot of hands on experience. It is a great place to work when you want to advance in the healthcare field or simply work to help others. Being able to work different hours also helps with a flexible schedule.
Great clinic
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALMarch 12, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: in the ghetto
I enjoyed my time and experience at this clinic. Work was very rewarding as result were seen in patient wellness. I will recommend this clinic to anyone
Wonderful experience here
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 9, 2015
I served as a graduate teaching assistant here. The professors in my department were wonderful and worked well with GTAs. I was able to complete my masters degree with a monthly stipend which relieved pressure of having to work additional hours outside of school and being a TA.
Laid back work enviroment
Custodial (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 8, 2015
The management and co-corkers at this job were very friendly and helpful when i was new and learning. I was able to work at my own pace and create my own schedule of when I wanted to do things during my work day.
Very fun place to work
Event Technician (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 23, 2015
I worked with Event Technologies, specifically in the audio production side of things. We were responsible for producing audio for all athletic events, as well as, conferences and ceremonies. It was a very good job, I learned a lot, and would recommend it to anyone.
Excellent work envirnoment
Graduate Faculty-Educational Leadership (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: researching and teaching with professionals
Cons: politics
Loved working with faculty and students. The chair of the department , The Chair of the department was admired and loved by all his students.
Great experience and Master's degree opportunity
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 16, 2015
Being a GTA is a demanding job and does not pay well, but my Master's degree courses are being paid for, so overall it's worth it. In the French department, GTAs are expected to teach 4 days a week, sometimes two separate classes. This can be very stressful and tiring, so I don't recommend this job to someone who isn't already well-organized with their time or who isn't willing to change that part of themselves.
University job
Study Hall Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 30, 2015
Monitored, opened, closed, maintained study halls. Managed these study halls in an isolated setting. Reported all issues with upper management. Hardest part was checking everything regularly on a certain time table. Most enjoyable was access to university materials I needed to make job easy
good place to study and work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 26, 2015
good workload and balance but pay check is not satisfied. Can't complain because you are a student and only work part time. Best thing is you can learn a lot and grow very quickly with new tech. People there are nice and helpful. good environment and good food.
Enjoyable
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 22, 2015
Learning while working was an added bonus since the professor was not only knowledgeable but personable.
Great Place to Work
Budget Officer's Student Assistant (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 14, 2015
I really enjoyed working for the university. The work load varied but I gained lots of experience while working there. My coworkers were very sweet people also. I still keep in contact with most of them now.
Employer encouraged advanced education and paid 30% tuition of my graduated school
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 7, 2015
It was very good school. I was so enjoyed to work with my co-workers. I left this position because my family moving to NY.
Graduate student (RA)
Graduate Counsel Fellow (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 31, 2014
I am working here as a Research Assistant. I am working in a lab environment.
Easy Graduate Assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 29, 2014
Pros: paid for updating computers, could do my schoolwork while waiting for the updates to finish.
Cons: there was not always work to be done, so it could get boring.
I learned how to reinstall Windows OS. I mainly did Windows updates and antivirus scans on the computer lab PC's. If Adobe wasn't working right, I would reinstall Adobe.
Sales Program Corporate Events Staff (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlDecember 22, 2014
Pros: great culture, great experience
Cons: no negatives
Worked there for 3 years under the Dean of all students. Had many job responsibilities, but i enjoyed every minute of it.

1 2 3 4 5

About University of Alabama

The University of Alabama (UA) is a public research university located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA, and the flagship of the University – Read more

University of Alabama Salaries