University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employer Reviews

Top notch facilities and research group and advisement
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 21, 2014
Could not have asked for a better graduate school and research experience towards my PhD for these last 4 years.

Applicable curriculum and lab techniques for future research empolyment opportunities in the Chemical Engineering field.
Productive and passionate place on my research
PhD in Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 16, 2014
Perform CFD computational simulation by using ANSYS FLUENT

CFD method, mesh generation, post-results processing, FLUENT

The process of overcoming difficulties is the most enjoyable part

Some time needs to work solely is the hardest part
A Typical Day As A Professor
Instructor (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: seeing students grow with my assistance
Cons: seeing students fail because of a lack trying.
To the contrary of reality, often students imagine their Professor simply arriving on campus, picking up mail from a faculty mailbox, perhaps making one or two telephone calls in their office, and then heading to class. Truth is, the actual work of a College Professor is forever ongoing – many days, 24/7.

Committees and Professional Panel Participation

Professors – more... serve on countless academic committees (in the roles of both Committee member and Committee Chair) for which the Professor must research, and prep for, sometimes extensively. Being prepared to serve on academic panels (both on and off one's main campus) and/or to serve within academic seminars and workshops are often a given.

Book Review and Selections

Many Professors are charged with reviewing and selecting the best and most effective textbook for their students and often, for multi- courses within their department. Most Professors have scheduled appointments with local and national Book Publishers or their representatives (or as often happens, are caught off guard when the reps inevitably wonder by).

Scheduled Office Hours

All Professors hold scheduled office hours dedicated solely to and for their individual students.

Professor Evaluations; Staff Development Sessions; and Workshops

Many Professors contribute weekly slices of hours to update and maintain their academic portfolios, for various reasons, including for pedagogical evaluations (mandatory – regardless of tenure) – or simply for the purpose of escalating possibilities that their academic proposals will be granted financial funding. Its a given, that all professors are expected to be actively involved (and often) in Staff Developemnet workshops and professional presentations, for the purpose of learning new ways in meeting and maintaining academic excellence.

Moreover, most college Professors go about the business of reading, daily, various newspapers; pedagogical commentaries and academic viewpoints (found often inside their subscribed ‘Chronicle of Higher Education’); review specialized Journals to assure awareness of forever ongoing trends in Education

Networking; Supervision; Campus Event Planning and Additional Prep

Most Professors converse often, with various leaders throughout off-campus communities for the purpose of securing that these leaders will agree to visit, speak, and assist in inspiring their students. Many professors assure and monitor internships for their students overall career success. Professors also supervise students who work for them through work-study programs, in which they must also assure that state regulations and policies are being followed correctly, as well as schedule and attend to cumulative work hours.

Professors often utilize many hours within their workday, planning and implementing statewide; national; and/or international academic events – which require a great deal of preparation to assure high levels of success and positive publicity for their department, division, or overall, the college or university, in general. Professors must prepare their lectures and academic discussions, review and order academic film, and often create highly creative PowerPoint presentations to further inspire their students with forever ongoing trends in Education

Writing Responsibilites

Many College Professors spend countless hours, and sometimes years, to author academic textbooks. Many Professors utilize many hours of 'at home' time (in addition to before; between; and after giving lectures), to research and write about various academic dynamics; general knowledge regarding any specific entity; or simply writing about how to make the world a better place. Community College Professors must concentrate on teaching effectiveness. University Professors must write and assure constant publications.

Assuring Student Recongnition; Support; and Student Recommendations (both vebally and in writing)

Often, Professors create academic awards to further inspire and motivate their students. For me, 'Leadership Awards' for each class at semester's end, have proven to be priceless in promoting further self confidence within my specific academic discipline (Speech Communications). The awards include 'Most Likely to be Promoted to the Highest Ranks of His/Her Professions' and 'Most Likely to Lead our Nation within the Century', and are especially rewarding because I, as Professor, have nothing to do with selecting the winner. The Award Receipient is selected by college peers.

Professors often meet, and converse with Human Resource professionals regarding current and former students’ academic achievements. Professionally and individually, I have been interviewed (several times, in fact) by such VIPs as the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) to discuss, always in person, the ethics and character of students desiring to work within the American criminal justice arena, or specifically perhaps, desiring to work in Homeland Security.

Meeting Deadlines; Academic Curriculum Planning; Development; Implimentation; and Student Assessment

Professors always have deadlines (sometimes, critical) to meet, and federal and state reports to submit. Accredited universities and colleges require that their Professors participate actively in the planning; development; and implementation of general education curriculum requirements, as well as developing specific criteria for their individual academic department, including the assurance that crucial core skills and competencies are being taught and assessed appropriately and effectively. Of course, Professors are solely responsible for reading and evaluating essays; term papers; observing oral presentations; developing; and administering quizzes and exams (computerized or/and in writing).

Of course it’s a given that Professors are also required to read and respond to emails from students, college administrators, and other on and off-campus professionals and colleagues. Finally, but never least, Professors must also assure that their students with special needs receive proper and professional guidance and attention. – less
friendly
Farsi Tutor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 22, 2013
- teach at the university
- learned how to teach Farsi to non-speakers
- the management was good
- I did not have co-workers
- Teach the Alphabet to the students
- Felt teaching new things to the students
Great University
Campaign Agent (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlabamaDecember 13, 2013
A typical day was going to class and communicating with other students. I had campaign classes that worked directly with other organizations. It was through these campaign classes that I was able to help plan and execute campaigns for different companies such as United Cerebral Palsy of West Alabama. Working with motivated people was a huge deal to – more... me because getting things accomplished was not stressful. There were a few groups that I was in where I had group members that lacked effort and motivation. That made the job harder than it needed to be. I enjoyed the experiences I had and the connections that I made. – less
University of Alabama
Assistant Professor & Director of Opera (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 8, 2013
My typical day began at 7 am and ended at 10 pm

I learned many things, for which I am grateful. Strategic planning, marketing, building a small Board, fundraising and managing a budget, and to recruit.

But it gave me more opportunity to build and manage a team of creative people. I had experience when I was in high school and college managing businesses, – more... but this was my opportunity to build a team, learn to delegate, hone their strengths, and create.

I also had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people, within and without the university. This was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Good place for laid back people
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2013
Not too much pressure and also not too much salary. People are nice with each other like many places in the South. It is good University to study, because this city really doesn't have to many things for you to do. The hospital is a good resource for doing research.
Customer Service, Accuracy, timely manner are must
UA Professional Staff Assembly (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlabamaNovember 3, 2013
I deliver mail to departments and students across the University of Alabama. We start our day by sorting mail by departments. Then we fine sort the mail into each departments boxes. We then prepare our vans by the locations of the departments to deliver the mail. We fill our mail tubs by how we make each stop. The hardest part was learning each route – more... and how to prepare for each stop. I enjoy meeting and greeting our customers every day. I love to make sure our customers our happy with our service. While delivering their mail we gather the outgoing mail. We bring back the outgoing mail and process it for the delivery trucks to pick up. This is a very busy department that requires accuracy, customer service, problem solving skills. – less
web design
Web Assistant (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, AlabamaOctober 29, 2013
I like the idea of organizing programs and events online. The people who I worked with liked my work and helped me to become better.
Awesome staff and sweet friendly girls.
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 15, 2013
Pros: meeting my girls, my co-workers.
Cons: ridiculous bullying by the alumni. no raises, no benefits
I absolutely loved this job. I got to work the hours that fit my busy life. but most of all I loved my girls and my girls loved me. They were so sweet, caring, funny and always helpful.. I did general cleaning in the mansion 4 floors from the basement to the 3rd floor. Management was not good at all. The housemother was terrible and stressed the crew – more... out especially the Housekeepers and Butlers. The alumni made this house a terrible place which the girls were always complaining and just made it a negative environment you always had to walk around on egg shells which made you even more nervous and caused you to forget to do something or do it wrong. The hardest part of this job was putting up with the Alumni they were not nice ladies they constantly pick and criticize everything you do which will eventually lead to your termination. I was awesome at my work, and fantastic building a relationship with the girls, but they did not like me for some reason so I was doomed to begin with. The staff was wonderful we all clicked like brothers and sisters and when we could we always helped one another out. – less
Fun Work Place for College Students!
Sport Clubs Supervisor (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 9, 2013
The Recreation Center at the University of Alabama is a great place to work for current college students. It's fun and laid back but engaging as well.
Student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 3, 2013
Assisted in computer lab working with students, also worked at the pharmacy assisting in over the counter purchases
Great University
Office Associate II (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: great
Worked in various departments on campus as Office Associate.
Network Engineer at the University of Alabama
OIT/Network Engineer I (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 26, 2013
A typical day is full of on going projects, with the typical troubleshooting of problems that may arise with in the network from day to day. Changing infrastructure is day to day, constant changing for the different colleges on campus.
great experience
Volunteer (Current Employee), University of AlabamaSeptember 25, 2013
this was through the UAPRSSA chapter and was great experience for learning the different parts of the PR industry.
Hated it. A cut-throat work environment.
Compensation Analyst (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 20, 2013
Cons: a bunch of back-stabbing crooks
Worked in human resources from 1998-2003. During that time, the Human Resources leadership was terrible; from top to bottom. Enough said.
Huge campus with very friendly people
Volunteer (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: multiple activities and football team
Cons: campus bus do not come very often
I met a lot of people and had a lot of friends there
I participated several activities during my spare time
I felt involved
Great work habits
FTO/Corporal (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: self leader
Cons: 60 hour work week
Police duties relate to field training newly hired officers, being in a management role gave me a well being great joy.
They put a lot of emphasis on academia while still allowing you to have a life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: free social events, amazing invited speakers
Cons: small, southern town (if this isn't really your thing)
The University of Alabama provides a lot of opportunities for graduate students. Teaching Assistantships, if awarded, are a secure way to pay for school and receive some money through instruction of lower level classes. The pay is decent, the amenities on campus and in Tuscaloosa are typical of most college towns, and the people are very friendly. The – more... graduate departments do a wonderful job of putting together lectures series, bringing in guest speakers, and providing outlets for future prospective career options. They also encourage all students to have a social life, and do so by setting up dinners, outdoor trips, pizza parties etc. Everyone is very enjoyable to be around, and I have had a wonderful experience within this University's graduate studies program. While balancing the work load and teaching is most definitely the hardest part of the job, the academic mentors are incredible with assisting and providing helpful insight whenever possible. – less
Student Manager for the football team
Team Football Manager (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 4, 2013
Typical workday was very stressful trying to balance work and school. Worked directly with the players and coaches on a daily basis and provided them with whatever they needed. Was apart of three national championships in five years.

About University of Alabama

The University of Alabama (UA) is a public research university located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA, and the flagship of the University – Read more