University of Alabama Employee Reviews

good university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 1, 2016
Roll Tide Roll

The university of Alabama have improved in many areas since I started my graduate studies at the university in 2009.
great place to study and involve in activities (research/teaching) and more importantly college foot ball.
Internships were fun and enjoyable
Internship (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 12, 2016
I did several internships through the University of Alabama. I enjoyed every one of them. The preceptors and the professors were nice and helpful. I gained invaluable experience.
Pros
Invaluable experience
Cons
unpaid internships
volunteer asst coach
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  tuscaloosa , alabamaJune 29, 2015
• Work daily head coach, Coach Kane, helping to write and monitor training programs that require specific day-to-day training
• Hold academic and athletic goal meetings for over ten individual athletes
• Serve as a coach and mentor to student-athletes in the various sprinting events between the 100m and 800m.
• Assist in managing and planning on-campus recruiting visits, campus tours, dinner meetings and management of hosts and prospects
• Help monitor the academic progress of over 20 student-athletes

• Assisted in the development and training of NCAA indoor and outdoor champion, Diondre Batson
• Assisted in the development and training of NCAA champion Remona Burchell
Pros
traveling
Cons
Awesome staff and sweet friendly girls.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 15, 2013
I absolutely loved this job. I got to work the hours that fit my busy life. but most of all I loved my girls and my girls loved me. They were so sweet, caring, funny and always helpful.. I did general cleaning in the mansion 4 floors from the basement to the 3rd floor. Management was not good at all. The housemother was terrible and stressed the crew out especially the Housekeepers and Butlers. The alumni made this house a terrible place which the girls were always complaining and just made it a negative environment you always had to walk around on egg shells which made you even more nervous and caused you to forget to do something or do it wrong. The hardest part of this job was putting up with the Alumni they were not nice ladies they constantly pick and criticize everything you do which will eventually lead to your termination. I was awesome at my work, and fantastic building a relationship with the girls, but they did not like me for some reason so I was doomed to begin with. The staff was wonderful we all clicked like brothers and sisters and when we could we always helped one another out.
Pros
Meeting my girls, My co-workers.
Cons
Ridiculous Bullying by the Alumni. No raises, No benefits
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AlSeptember 9, 2015
A typical day at work was waking the children at the center and providing the supervision needed. The management on the job was supportive and team players. The hardest part of the job was working long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children make positive progress toward good behaviors.
Pros
enjoy working with children
Cons
Long work hours for weekend workers
student job
Administrative Assistant- Student Employee (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 27, 2016
I worked as a student employee so the work load wasnt tough and I only worked part time but it was great experience.
Pros
worked around my schedule, diverse surroundings
Only an internship
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 10, 2016
My internship was full of rewarding work. My professor provided me opportunities to be creative and find solutions using various testing methodologies
Uab
Inclusive Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Alabama, NYNovember 6, 2015
I worked for UAB twice. The first time was 92-96 as a full time employee. The second time was part time, from home, in a 3 year project. Both times were great. UAB is such a wonderful place to work. Great environment, benefits, learning opportunities, and advancement.
Pros
esperience
Cons
parking
Great place!
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 7, 2016
Working in this company was such a wonderful experience! I got to meet so many new people which is one thing I enjoy alot. The most enjoyable part was gaining life long friends through not only my coworkers and superiors, but also those that I was able to help. Very rewarding!
easy advancement oppurtunities
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 22, 2015
some management issues....open door policy isn't made for reg employes...once you have an issue it sticks with you through the duration of your time
Pros
good about giving raises
Cons
open door policy sucks
lovely town
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 6, 2016
The university of alabama, tuscaloosa. Tuscaloosa is a really nice town, not big, but has almost everything you need. The residents in T Town are friendly.
always a learning environment
OSS II (Office Services Specialist II) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2012
patients arrive for daily radiation treatment beginning at 6 am..daily clinic for 12 oncologists for new and follow-up patients.Gained knowledge of diagnoses and codes as well as staging diseases for billing criteria.management somewhat stable but always changing in this department due to unforeseen circumstances... professional and caring co-workers and associates..sometimes difficult to see families and patients in distress but always a joy to be a part of a positive prognosis for our patients..
Pros
safe, clean environment
Cons
not much room or encouragement for advancement within department
Fast paced, detail oriented
Intern Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 10, 2016
It's the type of place where you will thrive if you do what's asked of you, and pay attention to the details of tasks assigned.
Pros
Tons of weight to lift
Cons
No salary
Great culture
Assistant Community Director (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 22, 2014
Great university culture. Students are generally great. Staff was great in Housing and cared about work/life balance. As a graduate assistant, I really knew my supervisor and others cared about my education and allowed me a flexible schedule to make sure all academics were first.
Pros
Great benefits, great culture, beautiful campus
Most enjoyable part of the job
Event Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 18, 2016
Working with quality associates and being affiliated with such a great university. Worked for 9 months with them and enjoyed all of it.
Work enviornment depends...Pay is awful
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  TuscaloosaFebruary 27, 2013
I work at the main campus as an Office Associate. The pay is awful. You have to pay to park. Retirement is good but they take out 7.5% of your already low salary. Prescription drugs are expensive.

It depends who you work for and in what department for your work enviornment. Some professors can be very cruel. Think Sheldon Cooper. However, some professors can be wonderful to work for.
Pros
job security. after 6 month trial period, it is almost impossible to get fired.
Cons
pay and insurance benefits and you have to pay to park.
Very good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 21, 2016
Very supportive faculty and staff, sometimes one has to breach language barriers, but the professors make it easy

Co-workers are great

Faculty and staff are supportive

the hardest part is dealing with terrible undergraduates
Pros
weekly tea parties after colloquium
Greeter, Host, Busser, and Maintenance Provider
Greeter, Host, Busser, and Maintenance Provider (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 8, 2016
• Provide the highest quality of food, excellent unrivaled service, and an overall enjoyable and pleasant experience for each and every guest per the aspiration of each employee and the organization's standards
• Welcomed patrons, seated them at tables, and provided them with menus
• Perform daily preventative maintenance, checks, and services and identifies equipment failures
• Assisted customers by providing information and resolving their complaints
• Maintained clean and orderly checkout areas and completed other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans
Pros
Great Life Experience
Cons
N/A
Relaxed enviroment and very informative staff
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 1, 2016
10-15 hours a week in Engines lab
Modeling 3d figures for data analysis and to run simulations
Professors were able to meet at moments notice
Team members were very insightful and helpful
Independent Research
Independent Researcher (Current Employee) –  Mechanical Engineering Combustion LaboratoriesApril 19, 2016
The flexibility of this position is great. The University of Alabama is a world-class institution with unparalleled opportunity and growth.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Lenient Deadlines
Cons
Speed of Funding Turn-over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5