University of Alabama Employee Reviews

UAB is a good place to work.
Information Systems Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2017
UAB is a good place to work. Being the largest employer, there is some variability in how you are treated--pressure, micro-managing, and hectic schedule.
Being the largest employer, they pick and choose their candidates, based on the best experience for the absolute lowest cost. They will sacrifice quality for cost. My advice on taking a job there is to negotiate the best salary you can get, up front. The most you will see in raises are COLAs, unless you are consistently exceptional at what you do, and they really don't want to lose you.
My 25 years with UAB was spent with good bosses, however, and was overall a pleasant place to work. I was reclassified to a higher grade and title twice, and did quite well for myself. I left because I could retire from the Teacher's Retirement System, and still pursue other opportunities.
a good company to work for
Maintenance mechanic/HVAC apprentice (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 24, 2017
good coworkers, good supervision, great benefits, safe environment
I work there for 25 years and retired, then went back part time for another 3 years
Pros
great medicial and retiement
Cons
can not think of anything
Good university
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 21, 2017
Placements could have been better, but overall a good university to study Cyber Security.
Limited On campus job opportunities for Cyber Security students.
Great place to work during school!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 21, 2017
The GA positions at UA are incredible- I get tuition and a monthly stipend, plus work experience! I would recommend any graduate program at UA especially if you find a GA position.
The University of Alabama is my home
Irrigation Technician (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 16, 2017
The University of Alabama is my home and I would absolutely love to return to work for them whenever the possibility presents itself. I cannot think of a better place to work.
Pros
Best place to work in Alabama hands down.
Only Interned
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 15, 2017
I only served as an intern with the University. Therefore, I am not totally sure how to rate it as an employment opportunity. From what I have seen, though, it seems great.
Productive workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 14, 2017
Great clerical job. You could have a really busy day or a really slow day. Management is great. The job isn't hard, but you do a lot of tedious things.
Great work environment, fun group of individuals
Senior Admissions Recruiter/Group Tour Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 11, 2017
Great work environment and management. Great benefits, which helped make up for not as great of pay. No set schedule of things to do each day. Each day was different. Opportunities to travel.
Benefits
Cons
Not as great of pay
Fun and Valuable
Economics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 7, 2017
Being a student that is also a teaching assistant was a valuable experience due to the fact that you see the classes from both sides. The management comes down to the professor you help which tends to be good. Less strenuous hours than a normal class and some pay for the work. The only downfall is that you had to pay the university for the role.
Excellent oppurtunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 1, 2017
The Research experience for undergraduates was an exciting and valuable learning experience. I was able to work directly with a research topic I was interested in.
it was great working with the kids
Executive Chef / Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 25, 2017
its a great place to work, I wouldn't have changed anything the environment the kids the management where all professional the reaching out for help and the quick responses where excellent
Pros
I was able to have a life
Cons
3 month vacation
Excellent educational and work experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 24, 2017
I earned my Master of Arts in French Literature as well as completed one-year of doctoral studies of French literature. During this time, I also taught courses in French to undergraduates of the University.
Growing university campus with excellent attention to physical campus.
Professor of Education (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 14, 2017
The College of Education within the University of Alabama has turned the corner from a teaching and service College to a more sophisticated research unit in the past 5 years. Within Special Education and Multiple Abilities, the Multiple Abilities Program is nationally recognized and consistently develops Elementary teachers capable of diversification of instruction to meet the individual needs of all types and abilities of learners.
Significant support for professional growth
Assistant Professor of Second Language Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 12, 2017
The University of Alabama provides countless ways for new faculty to grow professionally and understand how to succeed. It is also one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen.
Pros
Excellent leadership
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Office Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 10, 2017
I enjoy my job at the university. I am just looking for something part time to supplement my income I do not want to change jobs. I am self motivated and complete my tasks without being told to.
Student job
Behavioral Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 10, 2017
This was a job that was meant to just give me a little side money. Pay was good and the hours didn't interfere with my school work. Extra hours were also available.
Nice place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 10, 2017
Stay to yourself and get the job done. I don't have much more to say about this job. I was a graduate student and I think that it is the same at most institutions. It all depends on how well you interact with your P.I.. If you are a self starter do not get an overbearing P.I.. If you need someone on your back to help you be more productive do not go into a group with an aloof P.I.. That is all I have to say about that.
Supervisor
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 28, 2017
Supervisor would sit in office and watch movies most of the day. I would be left alone in a lab for hours at a time. There was to much playing games on computers and on cell phones.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
worry about funding
BEST place I have ever worked!
Asst Recruiting Coordinator, UA Ath Dep (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 26, 2017
Great university but also a great employer. I was able to learn from some of the very best. The hours can sometimes get long, but in the end, it is worth the experiences get in return.
Great Job Opportunities for Full Time Students
Housing Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 24, 2017
The University of Alabama is one of the premiere flagship universities in the country. What better than, as a student, be able to work for the university you attend and love so much. Not to mention, they are super flexible with schedules and is perfect for getting some extra money as a college student.