University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employee Reviews

Uab
Inclusive Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Alabama, NYNovember 6, 2015
I worked for UAB twice. The first time was 92-96 as a full time employee. The second time was part time, from home, in a 3 year project. Both times were great. UAB is such a wonderful place to work. Great environment, benefits, learning opportunities, and advancement.
Pros
esperience
Cons
parking
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 28, 2016
With the new additions of the Mechanical Engineering department, the research abilities have grown in the engine and combustion region.
Overworked and not respected
Custodial (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa ALApril 23, 2015
Although this job pays well and has great benefits it is not without great sacrifice. The custodial staff are treated like trash. We have no respect and are blamed for anything that goes wrong within the building. We are over worked even for the amount of pay we receive. The managers treat you like your a child and you are talked to like a child. There are so many rules that it can be compared to a prison. Our every move is watched and scrutinized. The work we do is never enough for them. My co-workers are very great people and are some of the only people who will really understand what one is going through. The only enjoyable part of this job are the great workers you meat along the way. This job offers great benefits with sick and annual leave time but in order to take either you have to have proof every time of any reason you are out and they hassle you when requesting off time even though you earned it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
no respect, overworked, strict rules and regulations
good university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 1, 2016
Roll Tide Roll

The university of Alabama have improved in many areas since I started my graduate studies at the university in 2009.
great place to study and involve in activities (research/teaching) and more importantly college foot ball.
Internships were fun and enjoyable
Internship (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 12, 2016
I did several internships through the University of Alabama. I enjoyed every one of them. The preceptors and the professors were nice and helpful. I gained invaluable experience.
Pros
Invaluable experience
Cons
unpaid internships
Work enviornment depends...Pay is awful
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  TuscaloosaFebruary 27, 2013
I work at the main campus as an Office Associate. The pay is awful. You have to pay to park. Retirement is good but they take out 7.5% of your already low salary. Prescription drugs are expensive.

It depends who you work for and in what department for your work enviornment. Some professors can be very cruel. Think Sheldon Cooper. However, some professors can be wonderful to work for.
Pros
job security. after 6 month trial period, it is almost impossible to get fired.
Cons
pay and insurance benefits and you have to pay to park.
Awesome staff and sweet friendly girls.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 15, 2013
I absolutely loved this job. I got to work the hours that fit my busy life. but most of all I loved my girls and my girls loved me. They were so sweet, caring, funny and always helpful.. I did general cleaning in the mansion 4 floors from the basement to the 3rd floor. Management was not good at all. The housemother was terrible and stressed the crew out especially the Housekeepers and Butlers. The alumni made this house a terrible place which the girls were always complaining and just made it a negative environment you always had to walk around on egg shells which made you even more nervous and caused you to forget to do something or do it wrong. The hardest part of this job was putting up with the Alumni they were not nice ladies they constantly pick and criticize everything you do which will eventually lead to your termination. I was awesome at my work, and fantastic building a relationship with the girls, but they did not like me for some reason so I was doomed to begin with. The staff was wonderful we all clicked like brothers and sisters and when we could we always helped one another out.
Pros
Meeting my girls, My co-workers.
Cons
Ridiculous Bullying by the Alumni. No raises, No benefits
easy advancement oppurtunities
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 22, 2015
some management issues....open door policy isn't made for reg employes...once you have an issue it sticks with you through the duration of your time
Pros
good about giving raises
Cons
open door policy sucks
Great culture
Assistant Community Director (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 22, 2014
Great university culture. Students are generally great. Staff was great in Housing and cared about work/life balance. As a graduate assistant, I really knew my supervisor and others cared about my education and allowed me a flexible schedule to make sure all academics were first.
Pros
Great benefits, great culture, beautiful campus
student job
Administrative Assistant- Student Employee (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 27, 2016
I worked as a student employee so the work load wasnt tough and I only worked part time but it was great experience.
Pros
worked around my schedule, diverse surroundings
Only an internship
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 10, 2016
My internship was full of rewarding work. My professor provided me opportunities to be creative and find solutions using various testing methodologies
Great place!
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 7, 2016
Working in this company was such a wonderful experience! I got to meet so many new people which is one thing I enjoy alot. The most enjoyable part was gaining life long friends through not only my coworkers and superiors, but also those that I was able to help. Very rewarding!
lovely town
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 6, 2016
The university of alabama, tuscaloosa. Tuscaloosa is a really nice town, not big, but has almost everything you need. The residents in T Town are friendly.
Engaging, rewarding work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 3, 2013
I enjoyed working as a research assistant and teaching assistant in the UA History Department. The opportunity to coordinate professional psychological research was a valuable learning experience, and spending two years teaching my own psychology lab section gave me invaluable teaching experience.
Pros
good pay, good benefits (health insurance w/ dental)
Cons
Most enjoyable part of the job
Event Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 18, 2016
Working with quality associates and being affiliated with such a great university. Worked for 9 months with them and enjoyed all of it.
volunteer asst coach
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  tuscaloosa , alabamaJune 29, 2015
• Work daily head coach, Coach Kane, helping to write and monitor training programs that require specific day-to-day training
• Hold academic and athletic goal meetings for over ten individual athletes
• Serve as a coach and mentor to student-athletes in the various sprinting events between the 100m and 800m.
• Assist in managing and planning on-campus recruiting visits, campus tours, dinner meetings and management of hosts and prospects
• Help monitor the academic progress of over 20 student-athletes

• Assisted in the development and training of NCAA indoor and outdoor champion, Diondre Batson
• Assisted in the development and training of NCAA champion Remona Burchell
Pros
traveling
Great team!
Sports Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 7, 2015
I loved my time working for the University of ALabama, we became a little family. I loved working all the events, but it was very time consuming. It comes with great perks and benefits.
Great co-workers and appreciative supervisors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 28, 2013
I really liked this job because I was able to use all of my skills, especially organizational skills. I also felt that my contributions were valuable to project.
Pros
good salary for that time and i had faculty status
Cons
this was a temporary position
Very good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 21, 2016
Very supportive faculty and staff, sometimes one has to breach language barriers, but the professors make it easy

Co-workers are great

Faculty and staff are supportive

the hardest part is dealing with terrible undergraduates
Pros
weekly tea parties after colloquium
Greeter, Host, Busser, and Maintenance Provider
Greeter, Host, Busser, and Maintenance Provider (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 8, 2016
• Provide the highest quality of food, excellent unrivaled service, and an overall enjoyable and pleasant experience for each and every guest per the aspiration of each employee and the organization's standards
• Welcomed patrons, seated them at tables, and provided them with menus
• Perform daily preventative maintenance, checks, and services and identifies equipment failures
• Assisted customers by providing information and resolving their complaints
• Maintained clean and orderly checkout areas and completed other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans
Pros
Great Life Experience
Cons
N/A

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5