University of Alabama

University of Alabama Employee Reviews

Easy Graduate Assistantship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 29, 2014
I learned how to reinstall Windows OS. I mainly did Windows updates and antivirus scans on the computer lab PC's. If Adobe wasn't working right, I would reinstall Adobe.
Pros
paid for updating computers, could do my schoolwork while waiting for the updates to finish.
Cons
there was not always work to be done, so it could get boring.
Excellent electron microscopy facilities
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 10, 2015
Work with other graduate students to complete advanced materials research using the University of Alabama Central Analytical Facility (CAF) which houses many microscopes including a FIB, SEM, TEM, and LEAP.
Pros
Amazing and well funded microscopy facility
Cons
The Alabama football fans are insane
University job
Study Hall Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 30, 2015
Monitored, opened, closed, maintained study halls. Managed these study halls in an isolated setting. Reported all issues with upper management. Hardest part was checking everything regularly on a certain time table. Most enjoyable was access to university materials I needed to make job easy
Working as the digital-media marketing intern at The University of Alabama was an exceptional learning experience.
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 12, 2015
Working as the digital-media marketing intern at The University of Alabama was an exceptional learning experience, and assisted me in blossoming from a college student into an eager professional.
This is a very fun place to work!
Stock Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 22, 2013
Working in the stockroom is very enjoyable. The most enjoyable part is the fact that I'm able to meet new people everyday. My co-workers are also very sweet people. I feel like my supervisor has a very open relationship with her employees and insures us that we can talk to her about anything.
Top notch facilities and research group and advisement
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 21, 2014
Could not have asked for a better graduate school and research experience towards my PhD for these last 4 years.

Applicable curriculum and lab techniques for future research empolyment opportunities in the Chemical Engineering field.
Wonderful experience here
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 9, 2015
I served as a graduate teaching assistant here. The professors in my department were wonderful and worked well with GTAs. I was able to complete my masters degree with a monthly stipend which relieved pressure of having to work additional hours outside of school and being a TA.
Relatively high pool of working place but poor research possibility
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 5, 2015
Relatively high pool of working place but poor research possibility. Almost no possibility to find research assistantship. Need to teach and make research at the same time.
Co-workers are usually good.
Time management is difficult.
Love this job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 28, 2013
I gave the overview of the experiment, then I showed how to set up the equipment and then just be there if they have any question. Actually the students have lot of questions/problems while they do experiment. But if you love Chemistry and working with undergraduates, you will love this job.
Very fun Place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 15, 2012
People are friendly and always willing to help, flexible hours and some weekend work. Very good chances for travel and extra training. Great health care program as well as wellness programs. The hardest part of the job is getting on full time.
Pros
great peole
Cons
very hard to get hired full time

Want to know more about University of Alabama?

Ask a question
Productive and passionate place on my research
PhD in Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 16, 2014
Perform CFD computational simulation by using ANSYS FLUENT

CFD method, mesh generation, post-results processing, FLUENT

The process of overcoming difficulties is the most enjoyable part

Some time needs to work solely is the hardest part
Not for the Lazy
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 2, 2012
UAB has some great areas to work in but its not for the lazy. There is a lot of walking (huge hospital), heavy lifting, interaction with people, etc. It is very rewarding too because you learn something new everyday and so much. I worked with a great team and I miss them sometimes.
Very nice people
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 2, 2012
This is a place that leaves me fun memories about the warm-hearted people. The lifestyle is different from big cities, organized and not hectic. Instrumentation capabilities in the university are actually much stronger than you would have thought, if you haven't been there once.
Cashier, Customer Service, Accounting
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 28, 2014
With this position, the store had a grand opening and I started off in Customer Service. From that point, I moved to the accounting room where I balanced the registers and managed the floor as well. When they needed me to run the register for relief, I also did that.
Uab
Inclusive Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Alabama, NYNovember 6, 2015
I worked for UAB twice. The first time was 92-96 as a full time employee. The second time was part time, from home, in a 3 year project. Both times were great. UAB is such a wonderful place to work. Great environment, benefits, learning opportunities, and advancement.
Pros
esperience
Cons
parking
Great environment with great people. Easy to learn and grow.
Strength and Conditioning Intern/Coach (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AlMarch 7, 2013
This is a great place to learn strength and conditioning. They have a master strength coach on staff to learn from which is a great opportunity in itself. Just enjoying the team atmosphere, staff and the players.
Great co-workers and appreciative supervisors
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 28, 2013
I really liked this job because I was able to use all of my skills, especially organizational skills. I also felt that my contributions were valuable to project.
Pros
good salary for that time and i had faculty status
Cons
this was a temporary position
A reserved, quiet atmosphere with friendly and caring employees.
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 22, 2014
Answering phone calls, greeting visitors and guests. Preparing correspondence, arranging meetings. updating calendars, gathering data, invoicing clients, etc.
Pros
gifts at christmas. recognition of milestones. staff meals.
Supportive and helpful environment for postdocs
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 11, 2014
I have enjoyed my work at the university. The faculty and staff that I work with are very supportive and helpful. I have been exposed to many research and teaching opportunities, which are very important for my career development.
Network Engineer at the University of Alabama
OIT/Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 26, 2013
A typical day is full of on going projects, with the typical troubleshooting of problems that may arise with in the network from day to day. Changing infrastructure is day to day, constant changing for the different colleges on campus.

4.5