University of Alabama Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and enlightening experience
Online Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  College of Human Environmental Science (Online).May 28, 2015
As part of my Capstone project for my master’s degree I served as an online teaching assistant at the University of Alabama’s College of Human Environmental Science. The most enjoyable part of being an online teaching assistant was interacting with the students and facilitating a creative and enjoyable eLearning environment. The hardest part of the job was providing adequate feedback and constructive criticism to 50+ students. A typical work day consisted of checking and responding to emails from students (this was done three times a day); proofreading previous lectures to insure they were up-to-date and accurate; generating lectures via podcasts, Word tutorials, and website training modules; and uploading these lectures to the Blackboard Learning Management System; grading assignments; posting grades; and providing feedback for each student. While in the performance of these duties I learned a lot about time management and how to effectively communicate with individuals who are spatially separated. The Professors and Associate professors that I worked with were some of the best in their field. From them I learned to develop eLearning solutions to meet an organizations training needs.
Pros
I feel I learned more from the students I taught them.
Cons
It was a short term position that offered me the opportunity to teach.
Great team!
Sports Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 7, 2015
I loved my time working for the University of ALabama, we became a little family. I loved working all the events, but it was very time consuming. It comes with great perks and benefits.
clinical site
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 24, 2015
Love them they are the best company i have ever been with and i have my heart set on getting a job there when i graduate. I loved the people, atmosphere, job, operational hours, etc.
Large company with feel of much smaller business.
Audiovisual Tech (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 29, 2012
Opportunity for growth and career development. Management team believes in empowering workforce by providing necessary tools and resources to excel at company.
Pros
recognition for work efforts.
Cons
parking
Enjoyed the inclusion of your nursing skills and policy making decisions.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 4, 2012
Direct Patient care on Trauma/Burns unit monitoring outcomes and discharge for home care with medication teaching and dressing of wounds. I also had the opportunity to work with grants and several research projects being a liason for human service agencies. With co-workers it was a pleasure to both teach, learn, supervise each other and set a new pace for others. The hardest part of my job was knowing if I did all that was necessary to give my patient top quality care to produce the best outcomes. I enjoyed my job because I believed in investing life into the lives of all I encountered no matter patient, co-worker or other departments within the realm where I worked. I have always enjoyed helping people.
Pros
working flexible shifts, free lunch inservices, and evolving in my career.
Cons
offering classes to help disable nurses to evolve in another area of healthcare.
Fast paced collabrative student environment
3D Generalist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 13, 2015
A Large portion of time is spent processing the volume of requests for 3D printed objects. Anywhere from three to five tours a day. Free time is spent Designing, working on scans, or helping with student projects. Machine maintenance both preventative and reactionary for up to seven different printers.
Pros
On Campus, highly efficient work environment
Cons
capped at 20hrs a week if enrolled
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 25, 2015
I worked as a GTA for The University of Alabama in the Geography Department. It paid my tuition and provided a monthly stipend. I instructed students and graded their assignments and exams. Occasionally I proctored exams for other professors. For what it was, it was very enjoyable.
Pros
paid my tuition
Cons
had to deal with annoying undergraduate students
job
Adjunct Professor - Journalism (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
a typical day at work, what you learned management, your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
University of Alabama
Athletic Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 19, 2014
I served as Marketing Assistant to the Athletic Marketing Director including the creation of fliers to be distributed to local businesses around Tuscaloosa. I recruited local businesses to participate in athletic events. I attended events and helped to carry out promotions during sporting games. The hardest part of the job was having to leave when the internship was over.
University job
Study Hall Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 30, 2015
Monitored, opened, closed, maintained study halls. Managed these study halls in an isolated setting. Reported all issues with upper management. Hardest part was checking everything regularly on a certain time table. Most enjoyable was access to university materials I needed to make job easy
Laid back work enviroment
Custodial (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 8, 2015
The management and co-corkers at this job were very friendly and helpful when i was new and learning. I was able to work at my own pace and create my own schedule of when I wanted to do things during my work day.
Being a referee is a challenging, and sometimes thankless, job but the management is well aware and does well to counter this.
Intramural Football Referee (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 22, 2013
The job could be challenging at times, but those in charge were very patient and understanding, as being a referee is not an exact science. They teach you step by step everything you need to know to perform well. The scheduling is the most flexible I have ever seen. Management steps in when players get out of control, usually after a call the player disagrees with.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
dealing with players with poor sportsmanship
Excellent electron microscopy facilities
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 10, 2015
Work with other graduate students to complete advanced materials research using the University of Alabama Central Analytical Facility (CAF) which houses many microscopes including a FIB, SEM, TEM, and LEAP.
Pros
Amazing and well funded microscopy facility
Cons
The Alabama football fans are insane
Excellent work envirnoment
Graduate Faculty-Educational Leadership (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2015
Loved working with faculty and students. The chair of the department , The Chair of the department was admired and loved by all his students.
Pros
researching and teaching with professionals
Cons
politics
Trauma & Burn ICU
ICU RN Staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 31, 2015
Wonderful teamwork and driven staff members. Wonderful place to learn about the fast pace world of emergency medicine.
Working as the digital-media marketing intern at The University of Alabama was an exceptional learning experience.
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 12, 2015
Working as the digital-media marketing intern at The University of Alabama was an exceptional learning experience, and assisted me in blossoming from a college student into an eager professional.
They put a lot of emphasis on academia while still allowing you to have a life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 5, 2013
The University of Alabama provides a lot of opportunities for graduate students. Teaching Assistantships, if awarded, are a secure way to pay for school and receive some money through instruction of lower level classes. The pay is decent, the amenities on campus and in Tuscaloosa are typical of most college towns, and the people are very friendly. The graduate departments do a wonderful job of putting together lectures series, bringing in guest speakers, and providing outlets for future prospective career options. They also encourage all students to have a social life, and do so by setting up dinners, outdoor trips, pizza parties etc. Everyone is very enjoyable to be around, and I have had a wonderful experience within this University's graduate studies program. While balancing the work load and teaching is most definitely the hardest part of the job, the academic mentors are incredible with assisting and providing helpful insight whenever possible.
Pros
free social events, amazing invited speakers
Cons
small, southern town (if this isn't really your thing)
Just being able to be in the stadium
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 19, 2012
-Everyday at work was fast paced and energetic. u had to have stamina walking back and forth up and down around the stadium.
-I learned alot about football.
-The management was out of hand because they couldn't watch they're coworkers it was upto the coworkers to bring the money back and get more products and so forth.
-your coworkers would be your friends for this job because its very easy to get lost
-the most enjoyable part about the job was the football game
Challenging but rewarding
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 5, 2014
Graduate school has been a challenging feat but it has also been rather rewarding. The hardest part of my job was establishing a work/life balance. Overall, I truly have enjoyed my graduate school experiences. By pursuing a doctoral degree, I was finally able to devote my effort towards a subject that has really been interesting.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
nothing major
Educational Workplace
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 27, 2015
At UAB hospital it gives employees the chance to learn about the health field as well as having a lot of hands on experience. It is a great place to work when you want to advance in the healthcare field or simply work to help others. Being able to work different hours also helps with a flexible schedule.
Pros
Being able to make your own schedule
Cons
Can burn you out fast if you do not have many days off

4.5