University of Alabama Employee Reviews

Being a referee is a challenging, and sometimes thankless, job but the management is well aware and does well to counter this.
Intramural Football Referee (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 22, 2013
The job could be challenging at times, but those in charge were very patient and understanding, as being a referee is not an exact science. They teach you step by step everything you need to know to perform well. The scheduling is the most flexible I have ever seen. Management steps in when players get out of control, usually after a call the player disagrees with.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Dealing with players with poor sportsmanship
They put a lot of emphasis on academia while still allowing you to have a life.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 5, 2013
The University of Alabama provides a lot of opportunities for graduate students. Teaching Assistantships, if awarded, are a secure way to pay for school and receive some money through instruction of lower level classes. The pay is decent, the amenities on campus and in Tuscaloosa are typical of most college towns, and the people are very friendly. The graduate departments do a wonderful job of putting together lectures series, bringing in guest speakers, and providing outlets for future prospective career options. They also encourage all students to have a social life, and do so by setting up dinners, outdoor trips, pizza parties etc. Everyone is very enjoyable to be around, and I have had a wonderful experience within this University's graduate studies program. While balancing the work load and teaching is most definitely the hardest part of the job, the academic mentors are incredible with assisting and providing helpful insight whenever possible.
Pros
Free social events, Amazing invited speakers
Cons
Small, southern town (if this isn't really your thing)
Large company with feel of much smaller business.
Audiovisual Tech (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 29, 2012
Opportunity for growth and career development. Management team believes in empowering workforce by providing necessary tools and resources to excel at company.
Pros
recognition for work efforts.
Cons
parking
Challenging but rewarding
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 5, 2014
Graduate school has been a challenging feat but it has also been rather rewarding. The hardest part of my job was establishing a work/life balance. Overall, I truly have enjoyed my graduate school experiences. By pursuing a doctoral degree, I was finally able to devote my effort towards a subject that has really been interesting.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Nothing major
Customer Service, Accuracy, timely manner are must
UA Professional Staff Assembly (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AlabamaNovember 3, 2013
I deliver mail to departments and students across the University of Alabama. We start our day by sorting mail by departments. Then we fine sort the mail into each departments boxes. We then prepare our vans by the locations of the departments to deliver the mail. We fill our mail tubs by how we make each stop. The hardest part was learning each route and how to prepare for each stop. I enjoy meeting and greeting our customers every day. I love to make sure our customers our happy with our service. While delivering their mail we gather the outgoing mail. We bring back the outgoing mail and process it for the delivery trucks to pick up. This is a very busy department that requires accuracy, customer service, problem solving skills.
Best and hardest time of my career as a student
Student Chemical Engineer (Operations Laboratory) (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 2, 2013
This class was a culmination of all that I learned as a student here in chemical engineering. This class lasted six weeks in which were were broken up into groups of five and assigned five different projects to complete. We worked what was potentially a regular chemical engineer's schedule, or at least we were told that. Each group was in charge of their own schedule and my group showed up on campus every morning at 8 o'clock. As we began working on our projects the time we left each night got longer and longer till one night we all ended up spending the night editing and revising a lab report that was due the next morning at 8 o'clock. My group members and I loved and hated each other at times, however, in the end we all did exceptionally well and our grade reflected so. When difficult moments arrived the staff was there to help us see our way through.
Just being able to be in the stadium
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 19, 2012
-Everyday at work was fast paced and energetic. u had to have stamina walking back and forth up and down around the stadium.
-I learned alot about football.
-The management was out of hand because they couldn't watch they're coworkers it was upto the coworkers to bring the money back and get more products and so forth.
-your coworkers would be your friends for this job because its very easy to get lost
-the most enjoyable part about the job was the football game
Great Opportunities
Doctoral Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 30, 2015
Great university to attend

The professors care about their students' interests and helping them to secure employment after graduation
Athletic Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 19, 2014
I served as Marketing Assistant to the Athletic Marketing Director including the creation of fliers to be distributed to local businesses around Tuscaloosa. I recruited local businesses to participate in athletic events. I attended events and helped to carry out promotions during sporting games. The hardest part of the job was having to leave when the internship was over.
Great experience and Master's degree opportunity
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 16, 2015
Being a GTA is a demanding job and does not pay well, but my Master's degree courses are being paid for, so overall it's worth it. In the French department, GTAs are expected to teach 4 days a week, sometimes two separate classes. This can be very stressful and tiring, so I don't recommend this job to someone who isn't already well-organized with their time or who isn't willing to change that part of themselves.
job
Adjunct Professor - Journalism (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
a typical day at work, what you learned management, your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons
Relatively high pool of working place but poor research possibility
Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 5, 2015
Relatively high pool of working place but poor research possibility. Almost no possibility to find research assistantship. Need to teach and make research at the same time.
Co-workers are usually good.
Time management is difficult.
Entry Level Job required a lot of walking and running around
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 29, 2015
The job was fairly easy. The company provided much training and skills for employees. The morale was low within my work area, but overall management seemed to have an open door policy.
Fun Workplace
Equipment Manage (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 1, 2015
Required to show up for every football practice. Was in charge of setting up practices and drills every day. Very good job.
Great University
Campaign Agent (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AlabamaDecember 13, 2013
A typical day was going to class and communicating with other students. I had campaign classes that worked directly with other organizations. It was through these campaign classes that I was able to help plan and execute campaigns for different companies such as United Cerebral Palsy of West Alabama. Working with motivated people was a huge deal to me because getting things accomplished was not stressful. There were a few groups that I was in where I had group members that lacked effort and motivation. That made the job harder than it needed to be. I enjoyed the experiences I had and the connections that I made.
University of Alabama
Assistant Professor & Director of Opera (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 8, 2013
My typical day began at 7 am and ended at 10 pm

I learned many things, for which I am grateful. Strategic planning, marketing, building a small Board, fundraising and managing a budget, and to recruit.

But it gave me more opportunity to build and manage a team of creative people. I had experience when I was in high school and college managing businesses, but this was my opportunity to build a team, learn to delegate, hone their strengths, and create.

I also had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people, within and without the university. This was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great place to work where there is never a dull moment
Football Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 18, 2014
Being a football student manager is the best job one can have while attending college. Yes, it does fill up your schedule. It also does not leave much free time while in-season, but it is very enjoyable and interesting for anyone who loves sports. Although our work went unnoticed by most, it was a privilege to be able to work with such an outstanding organization. I was able to develop strong friendships with many of my diverse co-workers, and we always found ways to have a good time while remaining hard at work. I guess one of the hardest parts of the job was not getting to go home as much as other students, and remaining on campus over several of the breaks. Although, I will admit this was a fair trade while winning championships. I would say that one of my personal favorite parts of the job was being able to travel with the team to various college towns and experience differing game day atmospheres. I would definitely recommend this job for anyone that has a passion for college football. Roll Tide!
They are amazing
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working at the University of Alabama. My bosses were all very down to Earth and conscious of my own work load as a graduate student.
Understanding and fun environment to work in
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Screen phone calls, interview potential research study participants, schedule appointments, organize filing system, fax documents, distribute incoming/ outgoing mail, manage/ update database, data entry, assist as needed. Co-workers as well as management were very outgoing and laid back. It was very easy to talk to management if ever problems occurred.
Productive and enlightening experience
Online Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  College of Human Environmental Science (Online).May 28, 2015
As part of my Capstone project for my master’s degree I served as an online teaching assistant at the University of Alabama’s College of Human Environmental Science. The most enjoyable part of being an online teaching assistant was interacting with the students and facilitating a creative and enjoyable eLearning environment. The hardest part of the job was providing adequate feedback and constructive criticism to 50+ students. A typical work day consisted of checking and responding to emails from students (this was done three times a day); proofreading previous lectures to insure they were up-to-date and accurate; generating lectures via podcasts, Word tutorials, and website training modules; and uploading these lectures to the Blackboard Learning Management System; grading assignments; posting grades; and providing feedback for each student. While in the performance of these duties I learned a lot about time management and how to effectively communicate with individuals who are spatially separated. The Professors and Associate professors that I worked with were some of the best in their field. From them I learned to develop eLearning solutions to meet an organizations training needs.
Pros
I feel I learned more from the students I taught them.
Cons
It was a short term position that offered me the opportunity to teach.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5