University of Alabama Employee Reviews in United States

always a learning environment
OSS II (Office Services Specialist II) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2012
patients arrive for daily radiation treatment beginning at 6 am..daily clinic for 12 oncologists for new and follow-up patients.Gained knowledge of diagnoses and codes as well as staging diseases for billing criteria.management somewhat stable but always changing in this department due to unforeseen circumstances... professional and caring co-workers and associates..sometimes difficult to see families and patients in distress but always a joy to be a part of a positive prognosis for our patients..
Pros
safe, clean environment
Cons
not much room or encouragement for advancement within department
Just being able to be in the stadium
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 19, 2012
-Everyday at work was fast paced and energetic. u had to have stamina walking back and forth up and down around the stadium.
-I learned alot about football.
-The management was out of hand because they couldn't watch they're coworkers it was upto the coworkers to bring the money back and get more products and so forth.
-your coworkers would be your friends for this job because its very easy to get lost
-the most enjoyable part about the job was the football game
Work enviornment depends...Pay is awful
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  TuscaloosaFebruary 27, 2013
I work at the main campus as an Office Associate. The pay is awful. You have to pay to park. Retirement is good but they take out 7.5% of your already low salary. Prescription drugs are expensive.

It depends who you work for and in what department for your work enviornment. Some professors can be very cruel. Think Sheldon Cooper. However, some professors can be wonderful to work for.
Pros
job security. after 6 month trial period, it is almost impossible to get fired.
Cons
pay and insurance benefits and you have to pay to park.
Being a referee is a challenging, and sometimes thankless, job but the management is well aware and does well to counter this.
Intramural Football Referee (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 22, 2013
The job could be challenging at times, but those in charge were very patient and understanding, as being a referee is not an exact science. They teach you step by step everything you need to know to perform well. The scheduling is the most flexible I have ever seen. Management steps in when players get out of control, usually after a call the player disagrees with.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
dealing with players with poor sportsmanship
Laid back work enviroment
Custodial (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 8, 2015
The management and co-corkers at this job were very friendly and helpful when i was new and learning. I was able to work at my own pace and create my own schedule of when I wanted to do things during my work day.
job
Adjunct Professor - Journalism (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 3, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
a typical day at work, what you learned management, your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job
Cons
Understanding and fun environment to work in
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Screen phone calls, interview potential research study participants, schedule appointments, organize filing system, fax documents, distribute incoming/ outgoing mail, manage/ update database, data entry, assist as needed. Co-workers as well as management were very outgoing and laid back. It was very easy to talk to management if ever problems occurred.
Customer Service, Accuracy, timely manner are must
UA Professional Staff Assembly (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AlabamaNovember 3, 2013
I deliver mail to departments and students across the University of Alabama. We start our day by sorting mail by departments. Then we fine sort the mail into each departments boxes. We then prepare our vans by the locations of the departments to deliver the mail. We fill our mail tubs by how we make each stop. The hardest part was learning each route and how to prepare for each stop. I enjoy meeting and greeting our customers every day. I love to make sure our customers our happy with our service. While delivering their mail we gather the outgoing mail. We bring back the outgoing mail and process it for the delivery trucks to pick up. This is a very busy department that requires accuracy, customer service, problem solving skills.
Really loved working at the MTE department and the CAF for characterization
Teaching / Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 15, 2012
I worked on the synthesis of nano-scale materials using thermal plasma technique. I had access to most of the characterization techniques such as XRD, SEM, TEM, DSC, TG-DTA, XPS, etc. through the department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Dr. Reddy's research group and the Central Analytical Facility (CAF).
Flexible schedule using online source for teaching .
ACCESS Distance Learning: Web - Based Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 26, 2013
This teaching opportunity allowed for creativity and flexibility by using the online experience. Teachers are encouraged to supplement standardized courses to meet the needs of students. There were not enough courses available to aid me financially.
Pros
work station was flexible
Cons
not sufficient opportunities
Fun and Easy Job
Computer Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 1, 2014
I was required to sit at my desk and answer the phone as teachers would find problems with their computers or projectors. I would then troubleshoot with them and try to get it working or go to the room myself and take a look in extreme cases. I was also responsible for checking equipment in all of the rooms during the summers.
Engaging, rewarding work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 3, 2013
I enjoyed working as a research assistant and teaching assistant in the UA History Department. The opportunity to coordinate professional psychological research was a valuable learning experience, and spending two years teaching my own psychology lab section gave me invaluable teaching experience.
Pros
good pay, good benefits (health insurance w/ dental)
A top notch university with the tools to help you succeed
Product and Service Development (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 2, 2012
My time at the University of Alabama has opened the door to many opportunities and given me valuable tools for success I will use for the rest of my life. This is especially true with programs like the Idea Lab in which were given the opportunity to work with real clients and create products relevant to their needs.
Cashier, Customer Service, Accounting
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 28, 2014
With this position, the store had a grand opening and I started off in Customer Service. From that point, I moved to the accounting room where I balanced the registers and managed the floor as well. When they needed me to run the register for relief, I also did that.
Great clinic
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 12, 2015
I enjoyed my time and experience at this clinic. Work was very rewarding as result were seen in patient wellness. I will recommend this clinic to anyone
Pros
free parking
Cons
in the ghetto
Great culture
Assistant Community Director (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 22, 2014
Great university culture. Students are generally great. Staff was great in Housing and cared about work/life balance. As a graduate assistant, I really knew my supervisor and others cared about my education and allowed me a flexible schedule to make sure all academics were first.
Pros
great benefits, great culture, beautiful campus
Great Place to Work
Budget Officer's Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 14, 2015
I really enjoyed working for the university. The work load varied but I gained lots of experience while working there. My coworkers were very sweet people also. I still keep in contact with most of them now.
A reserved, quiet atmosphere with friendly and caring employees.
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 22, 2014
Answering phone calls, greeting visitors and guests. Preparing correspondence, arranging meetings. updating calendars, gathering data, invoicing clients, etc.
Pros
gifts at christmas. recognition of milestones. staff meals.
Supportive and helpful environment for postdocs
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 11, 2014
I have enjoyed my work at the university. The faculty and staff that I work with are very supportive and helpful. I have been exposed to many research and teaching opportunities, which are very important for my career development.
Top notch facilities and research group and advisement
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 21, 2014
Could not have asked for a better graduate school and research experience towards my PhD for these last 4 years.

Applicable curriculum and lab techniques for future research empolyment opportunities in the Chemical Engineering field.

4.5