University of Alaska Anchorage Employee Reviews in United States

The students are fantastic.
Contracted Consultant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 22, 2016
This program works closely with students and offers them a better understanding of how the university is run, while giving them a safe work environment located on campus, and some disposable income to boot.

Upper management leaves something to be desired. Mid-level management, however, is outstanding in their efforts to make up for the lack of support and leadership and conducts themselves in a commendable and exemplary fashion.
Pleasantly challenging job requirements, however unpleasant work environment
Research Technician I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 23, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was constantly learning new scientifically relevant techniques and expanding my skill set for future job placement. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the unpleasant work environment created by overly worked, underpaid undergraduate and graduate students, and sometimes overbearing supervisory staff. The level of unpleasantness varied depending on the section of the laboratory you would be working in on any given day.
Exciting and diversified place to work
College of Engineering - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 29, 2016
Great place with diverse cultures and wide range of customers
Job flow is cyclical and repeatable. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing students graduating and getting a professional jobs.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No growth
Jewel in a beautiful Alaska setting
Assistant the Provost (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 9, 2016
Work was engaging and always intriguing. The University is large, but not so large that you have no idea what is going on across the campus. Turnover was low and allowed for strong working relations among staff and management.
Part time Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 14, 2015
Design, development and implementation of occupational safety and health classes at the university level. Night adult education classes with broad demographics make for a challenging environment. Mostly three to four credit hour classes, one night a week.

Enjoy interaction and discussion with students.
Pros
Flexibility to conduct classes in the manner I choose
Cons
Many additional uncompensated hours are required.
Seeing students grow and develop is exhilarating!
Director of Marketing and Communications (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 13, 2015
Exhilarating workplace watching students grow and develop in their respective fields. The school pride they exhibit is like non-other. Working here is rewarding watching the terrific outcomes that blossom.
Family friendly atmosphere and supportive network is notable. If you work hard your work is praised and recognized.
A Wonderful Place for Work and Life Balance
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 4, 2016
An exciting environment for academic research supported by personable and professional faculty in an intimate setting.
Fun place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 28, 2015
it was a fun place where you meet guest from all over the world. I used my fluency in both languages (Arabic and English) to communicate with people.
Great place to start and gain experience.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department Residence LifeJune 4, 2015
See resume for job functions and responsibilities. Largest amount of co-workers I have had working for this facility. Emphasis in teamwork and communication. Enjoyed working with peers, coworkers, and other department workers within the University.
Admissions Officer
Admissions Officer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 29, 2015
Processed hundreds of electronic documents regarding students’ admission into database, following the university’s policy guidelines and reviewing for completeness. Other: Graduate applications; Processing letters; Email checking (Microsoft Outlook); Quick data process for student’s immediate review; Being Tech of the Day
Pros
team closeness, like a family
Student Employment Position
RESIDENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 26, 2015
Position sets various requirements and objectives which are addressed through weekly staff and one-on-one meetings. Student positions are entry level while allowing work with various departments and the potential for advancement after graduation.

Experience gained included administrative capabilities, customer service experience, professional demeanor and flexibility to conduct various projects in meeting weekly, monthly and semester long employment deadlines.

Difficulties included meeting yearly changes in work expectations which oftentimes was opaque. Autonomy was a must in the job and decisions made sometimes fell outside of expectations to be reconciled during one on one meetings.
Pros
exciting atmosphere, customer service experience
Cons
expectations often open-ended without complete guidelines
Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 12, 2015
the Liberal Arts, historians, are an endangered species; diverse student body makes for an engaging learning experience
Pros
engaging with students and watching the excitement of learning
Cons
history, who cares...
Friendly Department and Professional Staff
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 13, 2014
A typical day at work was customer service and front desk duties.
I'd learn that this department sees their staff as family. I would like to work for them someday. My co-workers and staff are friendly kind and professional.
The hardest part of the job was not having to do.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about services they offer for the public with a small slide fee.
Pros
flexible, good benefits, professional staff and clean building
Cons
parking is a hassle and you pay parking fee every semester
Creative and exceptional work environment. Worked with diverse and interesting people
Senior Graphic Designer - (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 8, 2013
Met with university clients to discuss advertising, marketing and publication needs. Made recommendations based on needs

Learned how to work effectively with diverse personalities across a variety of disciplines

Met weekly with creative team to discuss projects and highlight accomplishments

Preferred working on creative projects with larger budgets. Relished Arts Marketing: Theatre, Music, Dance and Art. Love for mentoring students through teaching experiences
Pros
worked often with movers and shakers. flex schedule especially during summer.
Cons
subject at times to limited points of view, intolerance and prejudice
Great people to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 5, 2013
UAA has a great group of employees that I very much enjoy working with. Unfortunately, as is the case at many larger organizations, the upper management is way out of touch with their employees often making bizarre decisions that make you really wonder what they're thinking.

As it's a university, work comes in waves where you'll be very busy at some points and very dead at others however it tends to even itself out in the long run.
Pros
great culture and coworkers
Cons
can be slow paced and there is a lot of red tape
good, small business feel
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 5, 2015
good place to work. small business feel, with large corporate support. they work hard to win work and produce a quality product, and seem to encourage growth and success.
Great place to work with great people
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 15, 2014
I greatly enjoyed working for the housing department at UAA. The Union workers were friendly to the student workers and didn't mind teaching us skills that we did not possess. I learned a lot at this job and have been able to apply the skills learned to my own home.
Pros
worked around my school schedule
The camai room is a place where all students are welcome to come and socialize
full crew-member (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 24, 2015
The UAA camai room is a place on campus where all students are welcome to come and socialize. Students come to this room to hangout with their friends, do activities, do their homework, and just have a good time. While working at the camai room I had the opportunity to meet students who are attending UAA, make new friends, and have a great work experience. I had full responsibility of the room as a peer mentor, I acknowledged any student that walked in the door, and if they had a problem I would help them in any way that I can.
My coworkers that I worked with were students as well, they also had the same requirements as I had. The hardest part of the job was that we weren't able to do our homework while at work, and the most enjoyable part of the job was I was able to socialize with everyone that came to the camai room. I learned how to talk to students in a positive way, help with problems, and that I had full responsibility of students in the camai room.
Pros
socialize, make new friends.
Cons
wasnt able to do homework while being in the camai room.
Great place to work and earn your degree
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 27, 2014
Overall great place. Set my own work schedule with weekly meetings. Worked under a professor of engineering. Job expectations were high and there was a great sense of accomplishment.
A great environment to work in!
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 24, 2012
A typical day at work is extremely fun! The people there make work enjoyable. I learned the core of customer service and sales while working at the UAA Phonathon.
Pros
free food
Cons
you can only work 20 hrs a week.

4.3