University of Alaska Fairbanks Employee Reviews

Work Culture
IT Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 29, 2016
Fun Place to work, fast pace year round, lots of training to improve your knowledge and skill set. a typical day at work: Helping customers with a host of problems like: computer malfunctions internet issues, printers and copier issues. etc...
Pros
Great vacation and retirement package
Cons
Lay Offs
Excellent Employer
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 20, 2016
Excellent benefits and compensation, good management, good job environment. This job helped me develop my customer service and administrative services skills.
A learning and practical environment
Technical Assistant-Eagle Ford Shale Oil Research (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 17, 2016
Academic and practical experience provisions for students and student trainees are superbly interwoven to prepare graduates for responsibilities of future endeavor.
Very pleasant work place
Festival Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 16, 2016
Very nice place to work. It is a very rewarding job and flexible to my college courses. It permits me to work with student volunteers daily.
a great school
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 21, 2016
Was a great school to attend and loved Alaska. Was the best four years of my life and so glad I made the decision to attend UAF. Was sad when I left Alaska.
Good place to learn craft
Marine Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 22, 2015
Repairs and or maintenance on any elctrical equipment on board from generators to lighting to fire alarm systems. Work can be divided as necessary depending on down equipment so you can schedule working outside on deck when weather is good.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Captive audience-you actually live at work
Great experience working with researchers and faculty.
Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 18, 2015
I was hired as the assistant archivist in 2010, working part time for the Alaska Native Language Archive. I worked my way up to collection manager, where I oversaw the flow of archival materials, ranging from accessioning new materials, to digitizing existing ones. I supervised up to 3 people at one time, my co-worker and 2 student workers. It was a self motivated job, as I received little direction, except when I asked for it. The professionalization of the archive increased immensely, with many items available online digitally for patrons to download. I worked on a large digitizing grant from the National Science Foundation, that has since expired.
Pros
Quiet, interesting, unique work
Cons
Lonely at times, dusty dirty materials
Great place to work and learn
Research & Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 19, 2015
University of Alaska Fairbanks is really a great place to learn and the people are awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting students in teaching courses like Heat and Mass Transfer and Engineering Analysis.
Hard to find a good and knowledgeable professor
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 25, 2015
Good facility, but very hard to find a good professor. Fairbanks is a very friendly environment with a lot of great people you could meet. But there is not too much professional jobs available.
Comfortable
Temp Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 29, 2015
Learned how to prepare travel for students using TEMS, it was great contacting students, communicating, the environment was a at home comfortable feeling. Everyone was very professional and courteous.
Pros
catered lunches
Cons
job was temporary
Close-knit community
Tutor/Counselor, Asst. Resident Hall Director (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 4, 2015
I have worked and gone to school at both UAA and UAF, both have their pros and cons. UAF has a greater sense of community on-campus whereas UAA is made-up of many small communities on-campus. There is a large amount of non-traditional students at UAA so parking is impossible; when at UAA, leave your car at home or at the residence hall/apartments and take the shuttles. Most everyone says "Fairbanks is cold and dark," but I didn't mind because I was never outside; I also kept my endorphin levels high because of their excellent gym (Student Recreation Center).
Pros
Sense of community
Cons
An extra plane-ride from home
Home away from home
Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 1, 2014
Great Institute and mission. Support your sciences. Great faculty, co-workers. Diverse work place. Always busy!
fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 29, 2014
I was a undergraduate student there and had a nice working experience there.
Great jobs while attending the university
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work was me balancing class, homework, and going to work. Luckily I got a job at the same university I was attending. People understood when I was unable to show up to work.

A typical day at work was printing posters, going through tickets and fixing computer problems, cycling in new computers, cycling out old ones, digital and paper documentation was filled out, running wires, installing cameras, etc.

The management was very competent and clearly spoken. My coworkers were really just my two bosses that I worked around most of the time. There was some conflict with the way both of them like to do work differently compared to one another with me in the middle. That was the only problem.

The hardest part of this job sometimes was finding stuff to do. Some days there wasn't much of anything to do at all. The most enjoyable part was that everyone in the building hangs out after work on friday.
Pros
Job at the university I was attending, management was understanding and flexible with class schedule
Cons
Sometimes there wasn't anything more to do from everything for the day getting done really fast
Activities coordinator
Receptionist/Activities coordinator. (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 14, 2013
I will come inside the Multicultural office and learn so much from other students. We were a very exiting office who raised cultural awareness and thought us the importance of following our goals and dreams. I filed records, made important phone calls, explained the purpose of the office to everyone entering the office. this job was the most enjoyable job I have ever had in my life. We had different clubs under us like the African club, Hispanic club, the gay club. It is always worth it for me working with people that have ideas and want to work hard. So many different activities we worked in partnership with other offices inside the U.
Pros
inside the university od Alaska in Fairbanks, lots of free meals :)
Cons
nothing.
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 29, 2013
Customer Service. I learned to relate with different people on different levels and there is NO problem that cannot be solved within a timely and respectful matter.
Benefits
Cons
Healthcare
A team environment that taught me a lot about statistics and sports.
Athletic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 25, 2013
As an athletic assistant at my university I learned about time management and how to run a proper athletic game by keeping score of games and taking down statistics. It was important because being accurate about every point and statistics effected each individual player. It was key that I was correct in every note I took down. It was enjoyable because I got to watch most athletic games and get involved with other athletic teams and working together for the success of each of us.
Good Place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 30, 2013
Excellent skills in learning
Communication skills
Vast learning experience
Great environment for learning
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 21, 2013
As my first real job out of high school, TVC was a great place to start. The management was helpful and understood my apprehension and provided the training needed to excel in the workplace. Coworkers were always helpful and made it a lot easier to enjoy coming into work each day. The pay was great for entry level and the management provided opportunities to me whenever available to excel.
Pros
environment, discounted lunch
Cons
no benefits
Learning experience
IRR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 21, 2012
I was asked to be an assistant, he needed two students currently in college. I helped with taking notes at meetings, set up road safetly summits and collaborated with him and the other college student to come up with a road safety plan for the Native Village of Kalskag.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alaska Fairbanks. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Alaska Fairbanks Reviews by Location