University of Alaska Fairbanks Employee Reviews

Great place with good people
BLaST Curriculum Director (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 8, 2017
UAF is a great place to work. My colleagues are wonderful and I fell that I am respected. Obviously, with any large institution you have to deal with the red tape but overall my experience is overwhelmingly positive.
It was ok
Carpet Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 6, 2017
It was ok
physically stressful and strenuous
good coworkers and managers
learned to become more detail oriented
workplace was very nomadic
positive vibes
A good place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 21, 2017
Very good pay, great life work balance. Due to the face that Alaska can be a difficult place to obtain year round employment UAF was good about keeping people willing to stay the winter gainfully employed
Difficult work culture
Financial Aid Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 20, 2017
There was a few people in the office who did not get along. Working there became uncomfortable and management showed favoritism. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students receive the financial aide they needed to get through college.
Dorm desk clerk
Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 18, 2017
Great place to work, though you have to be strict sometimes, most of the residence were understanding. Some of the RA's cause some drama, but it really didn't concern me so it was mostly avoidable. I could do homework while working so it helped a lot with school. They would allow more hours too if you filed the proper paperwork. Also, you weren't tied to one dorm all the time. If more hours are needed we were able to take some from other dorms that needed help.
Productive place to work.
Student Teaching Aid (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 18, 2017
Spent time as a research assistant during the school year. Spent time grading assignments and providing feedback via BlackBoard. Hours were very flexible.
student
Student Teacher and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 10, 2017
I liked working for the University as a student. I got to help other students pass their classes in History and helped others in Geology as well. I graduated so work had to end
Wonderful program options
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 7, 2017
I enjoyed working with the staff and the students at this university. It was truly a family culture. The students were definitely given the opportunity of a top notch education.
Awesome university
Student (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 23, 2017
UAF is an excellent school for students looking to go into the sciences. I enjoyed attending classes for two semesters. There were quite a few extra services that is included in your tuition such as math labs and writing centers as well as the rec center that has a rock climbing wall, exercise equipment and 2 basketball courts which is great as long as you are taking advantage of the services, if not, it's kind of a waste.
Pros
Learning everyday
Cons
Not much income
Great University.
Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 17, 2017
UAF has a strong competitive engineering program. The professors are great and knowledgeable. The university has a great system in place for preparing students for the real-world by having extensive career fairs and employment opportunity.
Allowed me to grow as student, researcher and scientist
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 17, 2017
I had a great time doing undergraduate research. It really opened up the possibilities for me as I finished that journey. I was allowed total creativity and I took advantage of it.
Stable Job Environment
Alaska EPSCoR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 12, 2017
Or at least it used to be - the University is going through some serious budget cuts and is figuring out how to survive through these lean years. Overall, there are very good employee benefits, including a tuition waiver and health coverage.
Student job, decent company
Student Assistant Programmer (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 23, 2016
UAF worked around my hours for school. Typical day involved clocking in via When i Work and maintaining websites or upgrading them. Co-workers overall were helpful but not much interaction was experienced.
Pros
Flexible
Work Culture
IT Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 29, 2016
Fun Place to work, fast pace year round, lots of training to improve your knowledge and skill set. a typical day at work: Helping customers with a host of problems like: computer malfunctions internet issues, printers and copier issues. etc...
Pros
Great vacation and retirement package
Cons
Lay Offs
Excellent Employer
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 20, 2016
Excellent benefits and compensation, good management, good job environment. This job helped me develop my customer service and administrative services skills.
A learning and practical environment
Technical Assistant-Eagle Ford Shale Oil Research (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 17, 2016
Academic and practical experience provisions for students and student trainees are superbly interwoven to prepare graduates for responsibilities of future endeavor.
Very pleasant work place
Festival Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 16, 2016
Very nice place to work. It is a very rewarding job and flexible to my college courses. It permits me to work with student volunteers daily.
a great school
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 21, 2016
Was a great school to attend and loved Alaska. Was the best four years of my life and so glad I made the decision to attend UAF. Was sad when I left Alaska.
Good place to learn craft
Marine Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 22, 2015
Repairs and or maintenance on any elctrical equipment on board from generators to lighting to fire alarm systems. Work can be divided as necessary depending on down equipment so you can schedule working outside on deck when weather is good.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Captive audience-you actually live at work
Great experience working with researchers and faculty.
Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 18, 2015
I was hired as the assistant archivist in 2010, working part time for the Alaska Native Language Archive. I worked my way up to collection manager, where I oversaw the flow of archival materials, ranging from accessioning new materials, to digitizing existing ones. I supervised up to 3 people at one time, my co-worker and 2 student workers. It was a self motivated job, as I received little direction, except when I asked for it. The professionalization of the archive increased immensely, with many items available online digitally for patrons to download. I worked on a large digitizing grant from the National Science Foundation, that has since expired.
Pros
Quiet, interesting, unique work
Cons
Lonely at times, dusty dirty materials