University of Alaska Employee Reviews

Difficult but rewarding
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 19, 2017
The environment can be very demanding, as you are basically being a babysitter to college students, but the reward and benefits make it completely worth it.
Pros
Rewarding experience, free board, meal plan deals
Cons
Always working
fine place to work
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMay 26, 2017
Human resources was sluggish at the start but working there is satisfactory. There are many emails sent out, which is a bit irritating, but thats the only complaint.
Great way to give back to nursing
Adjunct Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 9, 2017
Working as adjunct has allowed me to work full-time but also give back to the nursing profession by teaching new students. Excellent university to work for.
Great place to work!
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  onlineMarch 7, 2017
I worked as an adjunct professor for five years teaching courses online. Management was very supportive and accommodated my work/life balance. I recommend the University of Alaska.
Great Clients
UAF Term Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 8, 2017
Enjoyed overall my experiences and the students were great. I would accept an opportunity to work there again. Also there are an endless amount of on campus activities.
Supportive administration, opportunity to advance, ethical and culturally diverse.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2016
It is a privilege to have the opportunity to teach in Alaska. Administration has always been supportive and appreciative. The chance to assist students in their educational endeavors is indeed an honor and one I take very seriously. My colleagues and my students are from diverse backgrounds and it is exciting to have the opportunity to learn along with them and is one of the enjoyable parts of the job. I dislike having to be in the awkward position of giving a student a poor grade but I always try to work with the student to avoid that situation if possible.
Pros
I work with great people who are intent on learning.
Cons
Not anything worth mentioning.
Live where you work, work you live.
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 9, 2016
Depending on the job, you can find yourself very happy, very stressed, or a mix of both.

As a student caller, I worked later in the evenings for five days out of the week. This fit my class schedule well, and hours were flexible; I simply chose to work every day I could. My boss was personable, my coworkers well-adjusted, and the job manageable. Some nights would be like a rock concert, callers picking up donations left and right, while other times it would be slower than a snail in molasses. Those days get rough, but the management never put too much pressure on us, and was always friendly.

With Residence Life as a Resident Assistant, I found myself overwhelmed. It's a make or break situation, and it all depends on your RD. If you're looking to work here within the next couple of years, and the RD's haven't changed too much, get Erica Hunt as your supervisor. Request her specifically. She is a bubbly, fantastic woman to work with, extremely supportive emotionally and very real. The major issue I had working there was the level of moral policing that some of my coworker's chose to enforce, to a point where a college experience was borderline impossible for some other residents. Alongside that, living where you work, and working where you live can be extremely stressful. There feels like there's no real place to escape it.
Pros
Majority of people are friendly, free food
Cons
Stress, Negative authority figures at times
Uas
Computing Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 6, 2016
Great working environment. The office culture is great and the work balance is almost perfect. Wages are competitive with great benefits. .
Mis-informed
Fiscal Professional 2 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 16, 2015
Relocated to another State, given impression I could tele-commute then when date came, HR, Supervisor agreed, however Director refused.
Pros
Flexible schedule, independence
Cons
Ethics of Management
Very professional place to work with great helpful and inspiring people.
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 20, 2015
Scientific writing, statistical analysis, lesson planning, lecture preparation, developing standard operating procedures.
Pros
Freedom to develop own curriculum
Cons
No healthcare or advancing opportunities as an adjunct
Great place for technology.
Audio and Video IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 10, 2015
Typically we discussed the future plans for upgraded video capable classrooms with campus/department directors and/or professors about what they wanted in their classrooms to communciate to the other campuses. then design and install the system and trouble shoot problems with other systems & users.

I learned much about broadacast, closed networks, GUIs, and AV equipment.

Aside from the disparagement from inept (possibly insecure) management we were in charge of the wonderfully complicated upgrading of web based A/V smart systems statewide. The primary environment left little to be enjoyed. Maltreatment of staff (I witnessed more than suffered from) made the overall office demeanor poor. So this was the management and hardest part of job to tolerate.

I loved the challenging technologically on the edge class room builds.
Pros
technology A/V equip
Review my day at work
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 27, 2015
Sometimes my day I have many people asking for help with math, english , or to just fax their scholarship. Another day I would be setting up a table for scholarship day and helping students get information to apply for a scholarship.
Pros
Good job
Cons
nonr
some billing issues with timely payment
Contracted American Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 24, 2015
Overall cooperative with providing accommodations and materials to keep up with the clients learning needs, however, no paid parking or administrative access to the students area of interpretation ( temporary door entrance swipe cards)
Pros
not overwhelming
Cons
inconsistent payment of agreed compensation
Great place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 13, 2015
Very top heavy in all areas. Facing major cutbacks in 2015.
People are great to work with until they realize they can't be fired. Typical government agency. Job beats the caring out of people.
A great job and a lot of great people and interesting work.
Computer Operator/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 12, 2014
The U of A was the best job I had every held both the supervisor staff and other employees were hard working but easy to get along with. When I became ill in 1972 I hated to quit my job. I was able to return to my job when we thought I was one again healthy, but after 2 month my health once again took a turn for the worst and I had to retire on a more permanent basis. I am looking for a part time job that does not require a lot of physical strength, I can and love working with the public and can use a computer and typing skills are okay.
Pros
Free collage education as long as you worked 40 hours a week.
Cons
I really did not find any negative thing about working for the UofA
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 16, 2014
● Taught Beginning Painting Technique
● Created and taught a college level painting class for BFA students
● Provided feedback and graded students on performance
Micro managers and issues with ships systems
Ship's Electrician (Current Employee) –  Various its a ship, HQ in FairbanksAugust 28, 2014
Most managers are either absent or are so focussed that micro manager is more apt. Ship was delivered a year late and was still not ready to sail IMHO. NSF is pushing ship towards funded science which is understandable as budget is almost depleted, but severe doubts as to whether systems will support science without interuption.
Pros
New Ship
Cons
New Ship
Great School
Student (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 5, 2014
Great school. Great faculty. Very knowledgable especially in the business realm. Hated to leave but forced to relocate.
Was ok place to work
Head Hockey Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks AlaskaMay 15, 2014
very different culture
very extreme enviroment
Enjoyed experience in Alaska
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKMay 8, 2014
A step above all employers, very set back in Ketchikan, Alaska and easy going staff.
Pros
Limited Supervision
Cons
Must Fly Out or Boat Out of Ketchikan, Alaska