University of Alaska Employee Reviews

Supportive administration, opportunity to advance, ethical and culturally diverse.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2016
It is a privilege to have the opportunity to teach in Alaska. Administration has always been supportive and appreciative. The chance to assist students in their educational endeavors is indeed an honor and one I take very seriously. My colleagues and my students are from diverse backgrounds and it is exciting to have the opportunity to learn along with them and is one of the enjoyable parts of the job. I dislike having to be in the awkward position of giving a student a poor grade but I always try to work with the student to avoid that situation if possible.
Pros
I work with great people who are intent on learning.
Cons
Not anything worth mentioning.
Live where you work, work you live.
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 9, 2016
Depending on the job, you can find yourself very happy, very stressed, or a mix of both.

As a student caller, I worked later in the evenings for five days out of the week. This fit my class schedule well, and hours were flexible; I simply chose to work every day I could. My boss was personable, my coworkers well-adjusted, and the job manageable. Some nights would be like a rock concert, callers picking up donations left and right, while other times it would be slower than a snail in molasses. Those days get rough, but the management never put too much pressure on us, and was always friendly.

With Residence Life as a Resident Assistant, I found myself overwhelmed. It's a make or break situation, and it all depends on your RD. If you're looking to work here within the next couple of years, and the RD's haven't changed too much, get Erica Hunt as your supervisor. Request her specifically. She is a bubbly, fantastic woman to work with, extremely supportive emotionally and very real. The major issue I had working there was the level of moral policing that some of my coworker's chose to enforce, to a point where a college experience was borderline impossible for some other residents. Alongside that, living where you work, and working where you live can be extremely stressful. There feels like there's no real place to escape it.
Pros
Majority of people are friendly, free food
Cons
Stress, Negative authority figures at times
Uas
Computing Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 6, 2016
Great working environment. The office culture is great and the work balance is almost perfect. Wages are competitive with great benefits. .
Mis-informed
Fiscal Professional 2 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 16, 2015
Relocated to another State, given impression I could tele-commute then when date came, HR, Supervisor agreed, however Director refused.
Pros
Flexible schedule, independence
Cons
Ethics of Management
Very professional place to work with great helpful and inspiring people.
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 20, 2015
Scientific writing, statistical analysis, lesson planning, lecture preparation, developing standard operating procedures.
Pros
Freedom to develop own curriculum
Cons
No healthcare or advancing opportunities as an adjunct
Great place for technology.
Audio and Video IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 10, 2015
Typically we discussed the future plans for upgraded video capable classrooms with campus/department directors and/or professors about what they wanted in their classrooms to communciate to the other campuses. then design and install the system and trouble shoot problems with other systems & users.

I learned much about broadacast, closed networks, GUIs, and AV equipment.

Aside from the disparagement from inept (possibly insecure) management we were in charge of the wonderfully complicated upgrading of web based A/V smart systems statewide. The primary environment left little to be enjoyed. Maltreatment of staff (I witnessed more than suffered from) made the overall office demeanor poor. So this was the management and hardest part of job to tolerate.

I loved the challenging technologically on the edge class room builds.
Pros
technology A/V equip
Review my day at work
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 27, 2015
Sometimes my day I have many people asking for help with math, english , or to just fax their scholarship. Another day I would be setting up a table for scholarship day and helping students get information to apply for a scholarship.
Pros
Good job
Cons
nonr
some billing issues with timely payment
Contracted American Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 24, 2015
Overall cooperative with providing accommodations and materials to keep up with the clients learning needs, however, no paid parking or administrative access to the students area of interpretation ( temporary door entrance swipe cards)
Pros
not overwhelming
Cons
inconsistent payment of agreed compensation
Great place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 13, 2015
Very top heavy in all areas. Facing major cutbacks in 2015.
People are great to work with until they realize they can't be fired. Typical government agency. Job beats the caring out of people.
A great job and a lot of great people and interesting work.
Computer Operator/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKNovember 12, 2014
The U of A was the best job I had every held both the supervisor staff and other employees were hard working but easy to get along with. When I became ill in 1972 I hated to quit my job. I was able to return to my job when we thought I was one again healthy, but after 2 month my health once again took a turn for the worst and I had to retire on a more permanent basis. I am looking for a part time job that does not require a lot of physical strength, I can and love working with the public and can use a computer and typing skills are okay.
Pros
free collage education as long as you worked 40 hours a week.
Cons
i really did not find any negative thing about working for the uofa
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 16, 2014
● Taught Beginning Painting Technique
● Created and taught a college level painting class for BFA students
● Provided feedback and graded students on performance
Micro managers and issues with ships systems
Ship's Electrician (Current Employee) –  Various its a ship, HQ in FairbanksAugust 28, 2014
Most managers are either absent or are so focussed that micro manager is more apt. Ship was delivered a year late and was still not ready to sail IMHO. NSF is pushing ship towards funded science which is understandable as budget is almost depleted, but severe doubts as to whether systems will support science without interuption.
Pros
new ship
Cons
new ship
Great School
Student (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 5, 2014
Great school. Great faculty. Very knowledgable especially in the business realm. Hated to leave but forced to relocate.
Was ok place to work
Head Hockey Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks AlaskaMay 15, 2014
very different culture
very extreme enviroment
Enjoyed experience in Alaska
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ketchikan, AKMay 8, 2014
A step above all employers, very set back in Ketchikan, Alaska and easy going staff.
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
must fly out or boat out of ketchikan, alaska
Easily manageable and enjoyable workload.
Computer Lab Aid (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 7, 2014
I enjoyed working as a computer lab aid as it was a first step into the career field I desire. I was in charge of maintaining the computer and network systems of three separate classrooms at the University of Alaska, Anchorage and ensuring that they were all fully functional for daily classroom usage. This position allowed me to apply the information that I had received in my classes toward on-the-job tasks of maintenance and troubleshooting. I was the only lab aid during the year that I was employed, but I was given excellent guidance by my supervisors, which were the professors of the university. The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable part of my job, which was to try and discover methods of fixing issues in the classroom networks on my own. This allowed me to be more independent in my work and helped me to become more confident in my abilities to solve problems on my own, knowing that I had support from my supervisors if I truly needed it.
The university environment, what could be better...
Professor Asst. (FWS) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 15, 2014
I worked for a professor as her student assistant while attending University of Alaska, Anchorage (UAA). My job was challenging, which I enjoyed immensely. As a Federal Work Study job it had to be outside my field of study, and it was. I was an English major and the department I worked in was related to the Nursing program.
My job was to assist the professor with grading papers, formatting tests, filing, grade recording, etc. I learned enough about how to read the subject matter and summarize to be able to create tests myself which I then gave to the professor for a final approval. I found a system that made this very efficient and the questions range from very easy to difficult. As far as management goes, the professor I worked with was the sweetest person in the world and a very good teacher.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working one-on-one with some of the students who were having problems working with some of the computer programs necessary to do their coursework. Their gratitude was a tremendous reward.
The hardest part of the job was spell-checking scientific words, you might have it spelled right, but one letter is off and it means something totally foreign to your subject.
Pros
the university environment, surrounded by knowledge, lots of treats from students.
Provide good work-life balance
Current employee - will not reveal at this time (Current Employee) –  SitkaJanuary 17, 2014
This can be a great place to work, especially if they don't require you to live in Sitka. However the current director does require living in Sitka and it's very expensive here, especially for food and gas.

The current director needs to be willing to be more confrontational regarding issues faced by employees and this campus of the University of Alaska. The campus is governed by the Juneau main campus and frequently technological issues are not the same between the two campuses, but are still decided by Juneau, which does not work.

The people here are great, but there is a lot of favoritism. Be careful, your supervisor may be a supervisor in name only. Also, whatever UAF is doing is what most of the campuses will be doing. If you want to be creative and use out of the box tools/methods this is not the place for you.

The pros for working here do not outweigh the cons!
Pros
work/live balance options, allows flexible start and end times
Cons
no place for creative innovation, favorite employees tend to run departments instead of supervisors, difficult and expensive leave the island, expensive to live here
An amazing opportunity to develop ideas and independence in the workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 30, 2013
• Assist students with there question about their Academic career
• Work on the set up and design of the Stay on Track Campaign and other campaigns
Great place to work. They adjust to try to accommodate personal schedules.
Laboratory Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 19, 2013
Work around personal obligations to family. I teach two days a week so I do not have to commute in every day to teach classes.

4.2