University of Alaska

University of Alaska Employer Reviews

A great job and a lot of great people and interesting work.
Computer Operator/Programmer (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free collage education as long as you worked 40 hours a week.
Cons: i really did not find any negative thing about working for the uofa
The U of A was the best job I had every held both the supervisor staff and other employees were hard working but easy to get along with. When I became ill in 1972 I hated to quit my job. I was able to return to my job when we thought I was one again healthy, but after 2 month my health once again took a turn for the worst and I had to retire on a more – more... permanent basis. I am looking for a part time job that does not require a lot of physical strength, I can and love working with the public and can use a computer and typing skills are okay. – less
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKSeptember 16, 2014
● Taught Beginning Painting Technique
● Created and taught a college level painting class for BFA students
● Provided feedback and graded students on performance
Micro managers and issues with ships systems
Ship's Electrician (Current Employee), Various its a ship, HQ in FairbanksAugust 28, 2014
Pros: new ship
Cons: new ship
Most managers are either absent or are so focussed that micro manager is more apt. Ship was delivered a year late and was still not ready to sail IMHO. NSF is pushing ship towards funded science which is understandable as budget is almost depleted, but severe doubts as to whether systems will support science without interuption.
Great School
Student (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKAugust 5, 2014
Great school. Great faculty. Very knowledgable especially in the business realm. Hated to leave but forced to relocate.
Was ok place to work
Head Hockey Coach (Former Employee), Fairbanks AlaskaMay 15, 2014
very different culture
very extreme enviroment
Enjoyed experience in Alaska
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Ketchikan, AKMay 8, 2014
Pros: limited supervision
Cons: must fly out or boat out of ketchikan, alaska
A step above all employers, very set back in Ketchikan, Alaska and easy going staff.
Easily manageable and enjoyable workload.
Computer Lab Aid (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 7, 2014
I enjoyed working as a computer lab aid as it was a first step into the career field I desire. I was in charge of maintaining the computer and network systems of three separate classrooms at the University of Alaska, Anchorage and ensuring that they were all fully functional for daily classroom usage. This position allowed me to apply the information – more... that I had received in my classes toward on-the-job tasks of maintenance and troubleshooting. I was the only lab aid during the year that I was employed, but I was given excellent guidance by my supervisors, which were the professors of the university. The hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable part of my job, which was to try and discover methods of fixing issues in the classroom networks on my own. This allowed me to be more independent in my work and helped me to become more confident in my abilities to solve problems on my own, knowing that I had support from my supervisors if I truly needed it. – less
The university environment, what could be better...
Professor Asst. (FWS) (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: the university environment, surrounded by knowledge, lots of treats from students.
I worked for a professor as her student assistant while attending University of Alaska, Anchorage (UAA). My job was challenging, which I enjoyed immensely. As a Federal Work Study job it had to be outside my field of study, and it was. I was an English major and the department I worked in was related to the Nursing program.
My job was to assist the – more... professor with grading papers, formatting tests, filing, grade recording, etc. I learned enough about how to read the subject matter and summarize to be able to create tests myself which I then gave to the professor for a final approval. I found a system that made this very efficient and the questions range from very easy to difficult. As far as management goes, the professor I worked with was the sweetest person in the world and a very good teacher.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working one-on-one with some of the students who were having problems working with some of the computer programs necessary to do their coursework. Their gratitude was a tremendous reward.
The hardest part of the job was spell-checking scientific words, you might have it spelled right, but one letter is off and it means something totally foreign to your subject. – less
Provide good work-life balance
Current employee - will not reveal at this time (Current Employee), SitkaJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: work/live balance options, allows flexible start and end times
Cons: no place for creative innovation, favorite employees tend to run departments instead of supervisors, difficult and expensive leave the island, expensive to live here
This can be a great place to work, especially if they don't require you to live in Sitka. However the current director does require living in Sitka and it's very expensive here, especially for food and gas.

The current director needs to be willing to be more confrontational regarding issues faced by employees and this campus of the University of Alaska. – more... The campus is governed by the Juneau main campus and frequently technological issues are not the same between the two campuses, but are still decided by Juneau, which does not work.

The people here are great, but there is a lot of favoritism. Be careful, your supervisor may be a supervisor in name only. Also, whatever UAF is doing is what most of the campuses will be doing. If you want to be creative and use out of the box tools/methods this is not the place for you.

The pros for working here do not outweigh the cons! – less
An amazing opportunity to develop ideas and independence in the workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AKDecember 30, 2013
• Assist students with there question about their Academic career
• Work on the set up and design of the Stay on Track Campaign and other campaigns
I worked via phone with a team of scientists based out of Fairbanks, AK
Researcher/Medical Writer (Former Employee), Fairbanks, AlaskaOctober 13, 2013
Pros: the entire job for uaf was a pro. no complaints.
Cons: the grant team i worked with were polite and professional. it was a joy to work with them.
I was an assistant to the Grant board. In order to garner more grants for the University of Alaska in Fairbanks, I talked directly with many of the scientists on the field about their research, then wrote that up and communicated this additional information to the Grant board. The first year more grants were awarded than ever before, directly linked – more... to "more information" about exactly what these scientists do in various countries globally.

I learned I did not have to be sitting in a chair on the campus of UAF
in order to do a great job for UAF. I am experienced in talking to people either on phone of by Skype. I loved this job! I found it extremely interesting to make the link between the customer (Grant board) and the scientists.

I worked directly with J. Weir, assistant for the Chancellor. She would give me the assignment and would take it from there. I had no problems working with this person and others on her staff. They trusted me to get the job done.

A typical day for UAF would be talking with several scientists on location in isolated places around the world, then write all my information and send this info directly to UAF.

There really was no hard part of this job. I had deadlines sometimes but working for a newspaper gave me the discipline to meet deadlines.

I worked via phone with three other people and soon felt a part of the Grant committee. I never felt like an "outsider" and actually made good friends with my Alaskan co-workers. – less
Great introduction to the world of Industrial Archeology
Field Research Assistant II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKAugust 12, 2013
Walking eight to twelve miles a day was just the start. Our team conducted daily pedestrian surveys of mining hazards, where we photographed, annotated information, and mitigated (when we could) these hazards in rural areas of Fairbanks. Other team members included professors from Archeology programs in the U.S, other graduate and undergraduates from – more... the Anthropological discipline, and BLM workers who seamlessly worked to catalogue and identify the landscape traits. One of the hardest, but most enjoyable, parts of the job was conceptualizing how geological and modern industrial process affected the landscape and lives of historical miners, and how that is seen and interpreted on the landscape in modern times. – less
Great workplace; great enviroment; postive outlook.
Fiscal Manager (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 11, 2013
ANSEP is a great place to work with very supportive staff and students.
Classroom with all the necessary technology to give good Spanish lessons
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee), JUneau, AlaskaNovember 9, 2012
Pros: getting to meet new people, gaining another course's worth of experience, helping others in their learning experience
Cons: teaching in an "adjunct" status
Typical class is facilitating students who are learning Spanish as a second language, things like vocabulary and its pronunciation, grammar and how to form sentences....I learned that second language learning communities and their individuals each have different learning styles and paces....and every change of school location has clearly reminded and – more... confirmed. The hardest part of my job is relating cutural aspects of the language with the actual words of some idiomatic expressions.The best part of the job is experiencing the joy and satisfaction that students in my class get when they leave each class having effectively learned something new. – less
Education
Student (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKSeptember 21, 2012
University of Alaska, Anchorage - The economy once again was tumbling and engineering positions hard in coming. I went back to school to continue my education.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Referee (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKAugust 17, 2012
Pros: being around things i liked
Cons: not a lot of hours
Having fun and enjoyable co-workers. Being about to be around things I love.