University of Arizona Employee Reviews

daily job
Custodian (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 30, 2015
Pros: no
Cons: no
worked 25 years at university from custodian to lead and suoervisor then to custodian until retirement. worked mon - fri holidays off
Post Doctoral Fellow
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 29, 2015
Good work culture.
Co-workers and Departments extend helping hands.
Life and work balance is good.
Community outside university respectful.
Great place to work with the best
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Researchers
Cons: lots of omputer time
Getting to work with scientists that are working on advanced research is a great experience and I've learned a lot from them. Mostly worked with a computer.
Busy office, but fun atmosphere, and good learning opportunities
Accountant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 22, 2015
Pros: learning opportunities
Cons: changing policies and exceptions
There are a lot of training opportunities. The employees are hard working and understanding. I've made many friends here in the many years that I've been here, and we all stick together. The work is challenging sometimes, but my bosses have been accommodating in helping and teaching what we need to know.
limited opportunity to advance
Library infrastructure Team Member (Current Employee), tucsonJuly 14, 2015
admin heavy, typical goverment job with little chance to transfer. Willingness to take on new responsibilities are not recognized due to inability to tranfer to new jobs within the Unversity system
Great place, but no advancement
Research Programmer (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Relaxed enviroment, reasonable funding, excellent benefits.
Cons: Lack of raises in some departments.
Generally, the university is a great place to work. I worked for OSCR for a majority of the time but left after working for the CS department. Overall, I'd recommend it, but to get more money, you have to change jobs every few years as raises are difficult to come by.
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 3, 2015
University of Arizona is a great place to work. Caring, friendly colleagues and youthful mentality. Beautiful campus environment and hot weather of course.
Excellent Place to Grow
Engineer Associate (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 1, 2015
Working at the University of Arizona has surrounded me with highly intellectual individuals who I benefit fro working alongside. All of my co-workers helped me in my personal growth and I hope to never lose their connection. The University of Arizona has many great opportunities especially in the space industry. I am currently working for the OCAMS team which is part of the OSIRIS-REx space mission. The only downside to working on projects like this is job security. Once this project is over, I am left to find another job and as far as I understand, it is typical that another project will not start for some time.
UofA South was an adventure
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Tucson, ArizonaJune 27, 2015
Pros: Autonomy, opportunity to create, benefits, love the students
Cons: lack of support when we needed it
As a satellite campus, we had a lot of autonomy. As a new campus, there was a lot of room to be creative. On a typical day I would travel a lot, visiting the community college for recruiting. I might be training new employees or conducting a new student orientation. Every day was full, busy and I had a wide variety of responsibilities.

I learned that I could do many things. I loved the feeling of creating new initiatives and solving new problems.

Management was very distant and we were left on our own. Although we didn't always have the support we needed, we had a lot of autonomy. I enjoyed my co-workers and we had a strong team.

The hardest part of the job was that we were spread thin. We had two office sites and five community college recruiting sites and only six employees. Schedules were adjusted daily to compensate for absenteeism.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being in control of a new project/campus. I loved creating new initiatives and felt personal satisfaction in the success of the programs.
Coperate environment with equal opportunities to students
Design Intern (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 26, 2015
Pros: university holidays, food close by, discount off classes
Cons: overtime, large amount of students, working with others on campus
Working as a student intern, I expected to handle minimal jobs. The UA gave me equal opportunity to have fun and be exposed to real jobs.
They are all astronuts
Sky Spotter - ARGOS Team (Current Employee), Safford, AZJune 25, 2015
Pros: Hot tea!
Worked as a sky spotter, cold work but a lot of fun! I get to talk to a lot of amazing people from all over the world.

U of A make a lot of really cool mirrors in their labs and the LBTO has the biggest ones to date!
Great School
Web Developer Intern (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 23, 2015
This was a very intuitive Athletic Department to work for. I learned a lot that can be applied to real life work.

My boss was a great guy who helped me develop certain skills that will be necessary to succeed in the software/technology world.
Great place to work and be part of an awesome institution
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 18, 2015
The University of Arizona (UA) is a place without limits—where teaching, research, service, and innovation merge to improve lives in Arizona and beyond
Encouraging and positive atmosphere
Admin Assistant for Office of the Dean (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 8, 2015
Coming into work positively, would start the day looking at today's calendar to know what was expected of me. Greeting all visitors and assisted Dean or Executive Secretary in whatever needed to complete daily operations. Enjoyed the energy of all coworkers and loved being apart of the team.
Great place to work for students, depending on the job
Tier 1 tech support and assistance (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 1, 2015
The University of Arizona is a great place for students to work, as long as your supervisor is understanding about homework loads and class demands.
Poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 21, 2015
Pros: language emersion
Cons: eveyrhting else
This place was an experience let's just leave it at that. The people weren't motivated and didn't care about anyone else but themselves and their advancement.
I love working at the U of A
Program Instructor and Coordinator (Former Employee), Safford, AZMay 13, 2015
I love the place I work at, the environment, the people, and the job. It really makes me sad to need to look for another job however financially I need to. My salary was funded thru a grant and the grant was not issued to U of A this year so at this time there isn't money to pay for my position.
Office feels like a family
Administrative Assoctiate (Former Employee), University of Arizona Office of the DeanMay 13, 2015
Pros: They celebrated our accomplishments, with lunches and breakfasts.
Cons: The deans were very busy and made for some complicated moments.
I spent the day managing the front while doing jobs. I enjoyed working with and briefly chatting with all my colleges. The management was completely understanding when emergencies come up. I found it challenging to come up with things to do when it was slow. That is after cleaning. I started spending the time reorganizing and cleaning files and electronic systems. In addition, I took classes to learn other aspects of UAccess. I like dealing with customers, parents and people who need help.
Excellent lab workplace that furthers experience with field of research and conducting experiments/experimental protocols
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Tucson, AZMay 3, 2015
I work in an Evolutionary Biology lab in which I either come in and perform chemical extraction/purification procedures, HPLC, or analysis of my experimental data or that gained before I worked here which needs to be analyzed. I learned an incredible amount of experimental protocols that extend to many other fields of research on top of the experience I had from previous lab work. I loved that the professor and the graduate student I worked directly under genuinely cared about my future career and graduate school goals, and gave me an excellent opportunity to build my laboratory repertoire and have a better chance at being accepted to a great school and have the background to get a research position.
I feel that I now have more qualifications in a wide field of research procedures to qualify for the positions I apply to because of this job.
Chaotic But Educational
Researcher (Former Employee), Tuscon, AZMay 1, 2015
Pros: Sometimes allowed to have discounted food when convient to management, right next to a strip club so guys come in late at night with "left over" singles.
Cons: No breaks, little flexibility, customers frequently drunk or high.
There was a lot of cleaning, checking on customers, and delivering food everyday. Most people did not know that at sonic you are supposed to tip the skaters, and sonic did not make an effort to make this known. Phones were forbidden to be on your person, and you were not allow to stand around. I had a very hard time being allowed to take my breaks, as required by law, and often was not allowed to sit down even though I had been on my skates for hours. The management was not very understanding, and although I talked to the manager and left letters telling her that she was repetitively scheduling me for more hours than I said I could handle in my application and in the interview, as I was also a high school student at the time. The management also forbid the employees during one meeting to request time off to go to prom, which I found to be insensitive.