University of Arizona Employee Reviews

Challenging but rewarding learning experience
Masters student (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 22, 2016
I am pursuing a Masters degree in Geosciences at the University of Arizona. This is a great place to work and study. Compensation and salary is reasonable for a student but not sustainable. It is a very challenging and rewarding place to study, we do research all around the world and have some of the best resources available including some of the top scientists in the world as advisors and professors. The students here are very friendly and provide a positively competitive experience. It is very demanding at times but overall the high expectations of my performance as a student is very helpful in developing the skills that will help me become a great professional.
Biomedical Communications Career
Medical Photographer (Former Employee) –  College of Medicine, University of ArizonaMarch 20, 2016
Biomedical Communications is a department at the University of Arizona's College of Medicine. It was my profession of 16 years after College.

Most people will never know of this profession, as it is not in the mainstream compared to a: Doctor, Nurse, Fireman, Policeman, Lawyer or Politician, ...

We documented everything Medical and related. A staff of 50 people where in the department and there where 15 photographers in the Photography section. Our work is published in textbooks for Medical Students and documented in scientific journals around the world.

It has been my pleasure to work with some of the World's best pioneers of medicine for the good of mankind.!

My position was cut by the short sited politicians of the State of Arizona budgeting that did not understand our Profession.

With a heavy heart I took an early retirement.
Pros
Rewarding Career
Cons
State Cuts
Wonderful place to work
Systems Programmer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 29, 2016
Great benefits. Great group of people to work with. No drama or bull. Just come to work and do what you love to do. No yelling boss and no micro-management.
Cons
QTR could be better used for certifications or specialized training for job
Conducting research at the University
Associate Research Professor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 29, 2016
I worked with federal agencies to advance our understanding of interactions between climate change and societies in the past through modeling climate variability in tree-ring proxies.

Being a Principal Investigator is labor of love and passion, since it is a immense amount of work and stress. The University of Arizona management efficiently supported my research-related development and promptly administrated incoming grants. Overall, I had great honor and joy working for the University.
Pros
Flexible schedule, excellent collaborative network
Cons
Budgets cuts
Horrible management
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Main campusDecember 13, 2015
I loved working at the U of A and meeting so many wonderful students from all walks of life. The job itself was very easy and most co-workers were very friendly.
Management was terrible & even though you ask for feedback and they gave you positive responses, you
can still be let go for no reason whatsoever. I loved my job & was good at it.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Horrible management
Good place to grow and learn.
Research Specialist Senior, CRC, Oncology Trials (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2015
I have leaned that good source documentation is critical. I have learn much about the oncology research pharmaceutical process. The co- workers are great and work well together to be a cohesive team. I have completed research oncology studies from initiation to closure in outpatient setting. It is an academic setting so plenty of politics and poor management skills.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Cons
periods of feast or famine work loads.
A fantastic place to learn with an unfortunate instability with funding
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 14, 2016
I have learned an incredible amount about conducting scientific research, writing coherently, and teaching others while at the U of A. However, the disparity of funding across departments and internal instability is very hard on graduate students trying to complete research for their theses. My coworkers are incredible, and amazing things are being studied in every discipline I've interacted with.
Pros
CAPS program, Rec Center, Brilliant Coworkers
Cons
Lack of Funding, slow response of administration at times
Grad-school is labile
Graduate Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 22, 2016
Being a grad student at the University of Arizona on a fellowship has lots of variation. When everything is perfectly aligned (funding, projects, research, development, and classes) it is the most amazing experience possible. The faculty in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department are among the most intelligent people you'll ever meet. Generally you'll have a great deal of intellectual freedom. Each advisor is different, but mine let me direct my own research. This is good if you are self-motivated. One co-worker wasn't self-motivated and spent over 10 years with the same advisor, not graduating.

The work became very difficult when funding sources were drying up. I wanted to change directions for my PhD research from my Master's work. Writing proposals can take 40+ to 80+ hours, which you don't get paid for, aren't guaranteed to win, and sometimes the university is too slow to submit the paperwork (they have to review grant proposals) so you're never even in the competition for funding.
Pros
Great place with lots of smart people.
Cons
When your funding & research aren't aligned, you'll be putting in 80ish hours/week
Technology, Services and Products Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 6, 2016
Fun place to work, management was flexible and encouraging.

Working for the University of Arizona gave me opportunity to learn from the best, and it is a fundamental part of my formation as a person, and an employee.
Pros
Flexibility
Productive and fun workplace with strict policies
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 21, 2016
A typical work day included setup for either practice or game, as well as pregame and postgame therapy for the players. Management was consistent and co-workers were nothing short of hard-working. Hardest part of the job was being limited to only the required duties and being restricted from going the extra mile. Most enjoyable part was getting to know my co-workers and members of the team.
Pros
Free tickets to games and behind the scenes accessibility
Cons
No social allowance, limited job duties
Work Study
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 14, 2016
Senior-year work-study. It was cool. We would go to different schools in the different districts within Tucson to deliver speeches and certificates to over-achieving students.

We would also plan different events for the Cubs2Wildcats program.
Pros
Great people, rewarding experience, life-changing
Cons
Not a lot of potential to earn a six figure income.
Benefits are great outweighs the poor salary
Buyer Senior (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 26, 2016
Great place to work, wonderful spirit with our top teams in the PAC12, our student run Spring Fling carnival is always a big event here, Student Union great place to eat. Small enough town to where the traffic isnt too horrible.
Pros
Family oriented and kicked back, great benefits
Cons
The pay stinks
Great Experience
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 28, 2016
As a college student, it can be tough to find a job that will work around your sporadic class schedule. Working at the Recreation Center on campus has been wonderful for me; as a trainer, you give your availability to the Fitness Coordinator, and they set you up with clients who have similar time preferences to workout. Once you connect with your client, all of the responsibility falls on you to meet with them and design and monitor their workout program. This job was a great way to get my toes wet in the training industry while still learning a log.
Great workplace
Information Technology Support Analyst, Senior (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 24, 2016
It is a great place to work, although the advancement and compensation can stall quickly. I would like to see a more stable approach to advancement and a compensation package that is more in-line with the corporate model. However, the workplace balance far makes up for it.
Good work-life balance
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 21, 2016
I am working as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Arizona. Have good work-life balance and access to a lot of resources.
U of A is an excellent place to work
Administrative Associate, Radiation Oncology (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 5, 2016
I learned new and challenging skills I did not know I had until I was put to test during hectic and busy times. Enjoyed setting up meetings and meeting new people.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Dept. I worked for did have show some favoritism to an employee
Visitor scholar (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 16, 2016
I worked here while I was a student, so my employer understood very well balancing work with my other responsibilities. The work/life balance was perfect.
Pros
Great university to work for.
Cons
Driving through campus/finding parking can be impossible
Great place to work friendly people
Buyer Senior (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 15, 2016
You will never meet such a wonderful bunch of people at the University of Arizona. Everyone works on a common goal in business so you make friends and get the job done at the same time.
Pros
Awesome Benefits
Cons
Pay is lagging behind
Current Employee at Campus Rec
FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 9, 2016
I have a fun job at the University of Arizona. I am Spinning and Fitness instructor. I love teaching all the fun classes. Fitness passes are open to the community as well.
Pros
Fun environment!
Relaxing with slow pace
Lab Manager& Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 29, 2016
Quiet and cheap place.
Working pace is slow.
Faculty/people around you are nice!
Lack of some research devices.
Research projects are not many considering the size of the university.
Pros
Low living costs
Cons
Low salary

4.4